So, wait, what exactly are God Hand's goal? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

So, wait, what exactly are God Hand's goal?

xChrono576

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I may have missed this since I've read basically all this in the last 2 weeks, but does God Hand have an ultimate, evil goal? I remember reading something about an apocalypse but I haven't heard it mentioned in forever.

I mean, Griffith is going out of his way to making humanity and monsters work together. Yeah, he's a jerk who sacrificed his friends for power but it certainly looks like he's going to be making life easier for the people of Midland.

Also holy geeze whoever is writing this needs someone to rein him in on the splash panels. I swear that's all the last few chapters have been.

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
To bring the age of darkness to the world. Femto as the wings of Darkness, got reincarnated as Neo Griffith, a savior. According to the prophecy of the Falcon, which Schierke knows about:
When the Sun has died five times, a red lake will appear at the West of the city with a name both new and ancient, and it will be the sign that the fifth angel, the Falcon of Darkness, is born. The Angel shall be both master of the sinful black sheep and king of the blind white ones. He is the one who shall bring an age of darkness upon the world."
This refers to Griffith's rebirth as Femto, and after his incarnation in Albion, the gathering of apostles for his army. The "age of darkness" may refer to his future reign.
Source
As explained by the prophecy, Griffith is the master of the sinful Black sheep= Apostles through his true form Femto, but he's also the king of the blind white ones aka humans. He will bring an age of darkness which could be what his reign will be like.As to what that entails, it could have to do with the appearance of magical creatures all over the world after the merging of layers. Some of them aren't bad, but many of them can be destructive like the trolls and the sea god for example. What he intends to do is gain the trust of humans by having the apostles fight the magical creatures, and as we've seen many humans have taken refuge in Falconia, where Apostles and humans coexist, although the apostles have their own quarters. It is not clear if Griffith is really trying to help humanity,or if at one point he will sacrifice it for some obscure reason. I can't help but see some similarities between Griffith and Gaiseric's reign. It is implied that Gaiseric's reign ended with a massive sacrifice, and possibly the wise man ascending as Void. I think it is also mentioned that his reign was decadent, that the "angels" were sent to punish him.And there's the fact that Falconia is literally made of the remnants of the old capital from Midland.
So all we have as a clue is that Griffith's reign will be an age of darkness and when he ascended the other god hands mention that if I'm not mistaken.

So from Slan's words, evil shall overcome the sacred, well we already know the God hand are evil and all over the land we've seen some pretty bad things like what was done by Mozgus for example.Not just that but Griffith is posing as the Falcon of light, a savior when in reality he's a demon. Illusion shall overcome existence, we've seen Griffith perform "miracles", like bringing the souls of the dead. I always felt that those were illusions, and not the real souls of the dead.Hate shall overcome love, fear shall overcome hope etc, this is something that is pretty obvious. Right now humans are losing hope as they are being attacked by all kinds of magical creatures. The dead shall overcome the living. This part could also be related to the one with the souls, but the apostles are also dead in a way, and they were reborn thanks to the behelit.And darkness shall overcome the light, which means it will be an age of darkness basically.
Overall I think Griffith's goal will end up meeting that of the God Hand, and IoE of course if it's still canon.He was allowed by IoE to do as he wishes, but in the end it will meet IoE's plan, who manipulates the possible routes through causality.

Last edited:

NoOneInParticular

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What I'm wondering is if Griffith/Femto intends to bring in a dark age. With Falconia he's pretty much realised his dream, so would bringing an age of darkness not actually ruin that? Maybe it's that he doesn't care what happens to the rest of the world as long as his personal nation remains. I suppose my question is whether right now he's acting towards Griffith's dream or God Hand's goal. I can't tell if this is his true self or if he changed even more than it seems when he became Femto.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
What I'm wondering is if Griffith/Femto intends to bring in a dark age. With Falconia he's pretty much realised his dream, so would bringing an age of darkness not actually ruin that? Maybe it's that he doesn't care what happens to the rest of the world as long as his personal nation remains. I suppose my question is whether right now he's acting towards Griffith's dream or God Hand's goal. I can't tell if this is his true self or if he changed even more than it seems when he became Femto.
He's already bringing an age of darkness with all those magical creatures going on a rampage, I really don't believe he has good intentions towards humans. They are fleeing their hometowns because of the merging of layers, which was his goal all along. And I expect it won't always be peace and love in Falconia, and then there is the possiblity of an eclipse happening.
Griffith's dream and God hand dream go hand in hand, with all the humans going to one place, I wouldn't put it behind me that he could actually sacrifice them or just feed them to the apostles, who are also being deceived here.

NoOneInParticular

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
He's already bringing an age of darkness with all those magical creatures going on a rampage, I really don't believe he has good intentions towards humans. They are fleeing their hometowns because of the merging of layers, which was his goal all along. And I expect it won't always be peace and love in Falconia, and then there is the possiblity of an eclipse happening.
Griffith's dream and God hand dream go hand in hand, with all the humans going to one place, I wouldn't put it behind me that he could actually sacrifice them or just feed them to the apostles, who are also being deceived here.
Yeah, I also don't think he cares about humans at all. They're just the cogs that make Falconia a nation instead of a derelict ruin. But on Falconia, I'm not so sure. As Griffith, Falconia is his dream realised, and all the chaos outside of it is just incidental. On the other hand, as a God Hand, Falconia is just a stepping stone, and whatever comes after is the actual goal. I just wonder which side he leans closer towards. Is the utopia what he wants, or does he actually want the darkness?

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Yeah, I also don't think he cares about humans at all. They're just the cogs that make Falconia a nation instead of a derelict ruin. But on Falconia, I'm not so sure. As Griffith, Falconia is his dream realised, and all the chaos outside of it is just incidental. On the other hand, as a God Hand, Falconia is just a stepping stone, and whatever comes after is the actual goal. I just wonder which side he leans closer towards. Is the utopia what he wants, or does he actually want the darkness?
It's too early to tell, but I don't believe he wants the utopia, or at least it won't last. Remember he's still not crowned yet, so it would be bad if he was cruel and inhuman right off the bat. He needs to gain the trust of the humans, Charlotte and the Pope, and pretty much everyone who sees him as their savior. Even now there are more and more people coming to Falconia, outside there is no place safe. So it's kinda worrisome to see all those people gather in Falconia and brainwashing them into thinking that it's ok to die, they can always meet their loved ones as ghosts....it's just messed up, with this they basically won't fear death, and would be more than happy to die for the sake of Griffith's dream. The IoE told Griffith to be free and do as he likes, but in the end his dream will meet the goal of IoE. That's the only clue we have about his dream and how it could serve IoE and the God Hand's goal.That and the Falcon of Darkness prophecy.
I think the meeting on the hill of swords gave us an idea about Neo Griffith's character, he won't abandon his dream no matter what, and he would do anything to achieve it, even sacrifice the BoH. He's simply unable to see them as his friends, so it goes without saying that it's the same for the rest of humanity. Even if he has created Falconia, a utopia where humans and apostles live together, it prolly won't last, for various reasons. It could be because of Griffith's nature as a God hand, once people realize he's a demon I doubt they would be so enthusiastic, and he could take out all his opposants, because they're bound to be in every society or kingdom. But mostly it could be thanks to Guts' interference, who is most likely going to go back to take his revenge, but only after Caska is taken care of.
It's hard to verify any of these theories, because the lack of content, but I can already tell that Griffith won't have the support of all the humans, there is Guts, but also Rickert, and basically anyone who could be aware of what he is, and that includes the magicians, the Hanafubuku king etc.

NoOneInParticular

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
^ Yeah, that all makes sense. Although by the time his true nature is revealed it may not even matter. The other God Hand seem to already be on their way to entering the world, and when they've had their way with it humans might not have any choice but to be part of Femto's nation since the others might be even worse to deal with. Or maybe GH's goal is to just completely erase the concept of good from the world, so if they get their way humanity will become so warped they'll stop being victims and start being part of the darkness. All assuming the good guys don't find a way to stop the GH.

Speaking of the other Hands I guess it's possible that the end goal is just to divide the world up between them and have them each do things their own way in their own domain. In that case Femto may have his organised nation alone in a world full of just madness.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
^ Yeah, that all makes sense. Although by the time his true nature is revealed it may not even matter. The other God Hand seem to already be on their way to entering the world, and when they've had their way with it humans might not have any choice but to be part of Femto's nation since the others might be even worse to deal with. Or maybe GH's goal is to just completely erase the concept of good from the world, so if they get their way humanity will become so warped they'll stop being victims and start being part of the darkness. All assuming the good guys don't find a way to stop the GH.

Speaking of the other Hands I guess it's possible that the end goal is just to divide the world up between them and have them each do things their own way in their own domain. In that case Femto may have his organised nation alone in a world full of just madness.
It could be that they want more power, the more there is evil in the world the more powerful they can become, or just the more apostles there can be.If their goal is to have an age of darkness where humans could be more desperate than ever, the feelings of hopelessness and despair could feed IoE and by extension the GH. I remember that chapter when the merging of layers occured, and the God hand were shown hanging out in their respective domains/sephiras, it was pretty cool, so if their domain somehow makes it to the physical world, wouldn't that be detrimental to them? Or maybe they would be able to manifest in the physical world more easily, which could make them more powerful. There could have been limitations in the past when they manifested in the real world, just look at Slan when she possessed the trolls intestines in order to manifest, and how easily she was defeated in that form (she wasn't trying to evade that attack either :errr). But still if they were able to manifest their real bodies there wouldn't be any limitations to their power, and they could also expand their influence to their surroundings.
I was thinking it would be nice if the GH all made it to Falconia and took a human form, so that when the day comes they would be in the right place at the right time. I vaguely recall Miura saying he'd like to make a gaiden of some sort about the God Hand, and maybe even SK/Gaiseric, but that was years ago before this never ending break. It would be interesting to see them as humans before they became GH.

Last edited:

NoOneInParticular

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I'd love to see the God Hand's individual origins. Conrad's clearly the least prominent one, but even that's making me wonder who he was and what could possibly have been his desire. We've got vague hints on Void's, and evidently he's kind of a scholarly observer. And Slan is obviously some kind of passion hedonist, whether that passion happens to be sexual or violent. Got to wonder who she was in life.

Anyway, their main way of spending time seems to revolve around the Apostles and what they represent - just exploiting and unleashing people's inner ugliness. They could just be after observing and playing around in the most twisted world they can create. Femto seems different from them in that he craves order rather than chaos, but who knows if that's true.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Yes, I'd love to see the God Hand's individual origins. Conrad's clearly the least prominent one, but even that's making me wonder who he was and what could possibly have been his desire. We've got vague hints on Void's, and evidently he's kind of a scholarly observer. And Slan is obviously some kind of passion hedonist, whether that passion happens to be sexual or violent. Got to wonder who she was in life.

Anyway, their main way of spending time seems to revolve around the Apostles and what they represent - just exploiting and unleashing people's inner ugliness. They could just be after observing and playing around in the most twisted world they can create. Femto seems different from them in that he craves order rather than chaos, but who knows if that's true.
I think it could be that he wants to gather as much people as possible for a big sacrifice, or in order to unleash their inner ugliness like you said. That said it's hard to know exactly what he's after, does he really just want a kingdom? And why? We never got an answer to do that. Originally it could be that he wanted to correct all the wrongdoings in the world, or at least be a good king that will bring peace and stability to the world. But now it seems like this goal is entering in conflict with the GH one, which is to have an age of darkness fall on the world. If that's what is going to happen then I can only see Griffith becoming more like a dictator, who will feed on the despair of his people, but then again the appearances suggest otherwise.
Like I said it's too early to tell what Griffith's reign will be like, and I'm pretty sure he can't show his true colors right off the bat, because well that's not the wisest thing to do.

Last edited:

NoOneInParticular

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it could be that he wants to gather as much people as possible for a big sacrifice, or in order to unleash their inner ugliness like you said. That said it's hard to know exactly what he's after, does he really just want a kingdom? And why? We never got an answer to do that. Originally it could be that he wanted to correct all the wrongdoings in the world, or at least be a good king that will bring peace and stability to the world. But now it seems like this goal is entering in conflict with the GH one, which is to have an age of darkness fall on the world. If that's what is going to happen then I can only see Griffith becoming more like a dictator, who will feed on the despair of his people, but then again the appearances suggest otherwise.
Like I said it's too early to tell what Griffith's reign will be like, and I'm pretty sure he can't show his true colors right off the bat, because well that's not the wisest thing to do.
Yeah, this goes back to what I was initially wondering, because a kingdom seems contrary to what the God Hand would do to the world. Although I don't get the impression he wanted to make the world a better place, he just wanted a piece of it. Not that he was pure evil or anything, it was just more egocentric than anything imo. The whole thing makes me wonder if he's just using the God Hand and vice versa. Actually I've been wondering that since Slan came into the Qliphoth by herself. It doesn't seem like they're joined at the hip or anything, and they all made the sacrifice for their own personal reasons. They function as a group, but maybe they all have an agenda that they'll put before anything else, although I don't see them going to war with each other or anything. Again, they might just end up dividing the world up between themselves. Femto can have his nation, whatever it may be, and the rest can indulge in whatever craziness they want.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Yeah, this goes back to what I was initially wondering, because a kingdom seems contrary to what the God Hand would do to the world. Although I don't get the impression he wanted to make the world a better place, he just wanted a piece of it. Not that he was pure evil or anything, it was just more egocentric than anything imo. The whole thing makes me wonder if he's just using the God Hand and vice versa. Actually I've been wondering that since Slan came into the Qliphoth by herself. It doesn't seem like they're joined at the hip or anything, and they all made the sacrifice for their own personal reasons. They function as a group, but maybe they all have an agenda that they'll put before anything else, although I don't see them going to war with each other or anything. Again, they might just end up dividing the world up between themselves. Femto can have his nation, whatever it may be, and the rest can indulge in whatever craziness they want.
That's pretty much what I'm thinking too, they're not really a group, they're just a bunch of people with a common interest. They want to spread darkness to the world, because they're demons, without emotions. Each one of them could end up wanting something different, for example Slan has been really interested in Guts, so maybe she acted on her own back then. It most likely is, so as long as this somehow serves causality it shouldn't be a problem, they would each do whatever they want. Also I'm curious about their dreams. I don't believe only Griffith had one, they all had, so for Slan's it could be anything regarding debauchery lol, but what about the others? Void seem to have some common history with SK, Void could be the Wise man, and SK would be Gaiseric, but what did Void wish for? What if they all wanted their own kingdom/domain? In this case what Griffith is doing really does serve their purpose.
I agree Griffith's motivation prolly isn't noble, to me it looked like he just wanted to be king because he wanted to be above everyone else, he certainly didn't like it when nobles used to look down on him. Could be that and in this case it prolly doesn't matter that much to know why he wanted to have his own kingdom.

TheWanderer

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well it's more like, if you stay in his domain you are safe, however if you choose to venture outside his protection you are in danger, so it's possible that his "good" persona is just a ruse by those blinded by the security he's offering. Since he is most likely the cause of such chaos in the first place, but the people don't know that, they only see him as the savior.

souske

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the God hand just want to spread suffering and darkness around the world and manipulate events. And they don't really have a goal besides serving the idea of evil hence the name God Hand, they're like angels.

DarkLordOfKichiku

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
If the Idea of Evil is still part of the story, then the answer may lie there, to some extent. Since it obeys the collective will of mankind, it may be that when the people (or rather, makind in general) wish for a savior, the IoE sends them one (Griffith, Gaiseric?)... And when said saviour's rule takes a turn for the worse and gets more tyranical/decadent, the people/mankind wish to be freed from said tyranny... And the IoE obliges by ending said tyranny, ending the rule of the so called savior, sending the pieces flying everywhere as it does so. In the process, the old members of the God Hand dies, but another rises to start the cycle anew... Which would mean that the God Hand are all ultimately just pawns used by the IoE to keep the cycle going. If so, they do not have their own goals - but that is assuming they know the full story, which they might not (only Void would know for sure). But if they do AND know - well, they may not care; Griffith only cares about getting his own Kingdom after all - anything after that - including whatever happesn to himself - may not matter to him as long as he can fulfil that one goal and it may well be similar for the others of the God Hand...

Franckie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Idea of Evil, despite its name, doesn't want to bring humanity to its doom by actively plotting against humans. It only gives people what they desire the most, especially if there's a chance for said desire to completely blow up in the person's face. The Godhand are the same way. The Godhand help the IoE accomplish its goals by creating the Apostles, spreading plagues, etc. Their purpose is to inflict as much suffering and pain as possible on mankind.

Griifiith is unique among the Godhand. Besides being the one to merge the material and astral worlds together, he is also the "King" of both demons and humans. The IoE intends for Griffith's actions to be suitable for mankind as a whole, yet his actions may also bring pain upon mankind. Whether those actions bring salvation or pain will depend upon what Griffith decides.

How Griffith's actions will prove disastrous to the remaining humans revolves around his thirst for power. He probably didn't order Rickert's assassination, but Griffith has no intention of saving Rickert either. Griffith also targeted the dying witch Flora because he saw the witch as a threat to his ascension. Both of these actions will prove disastrous to Griffith in the future because targeting Flora caused Schierke to join Guts party and Rickert has now allied himself with Silat's clan.

What will probably prove disastrous is attacking Elfheim. The King of Elves and numerous wizards and witches live in the elf kingdom, where Guts is currently headed towards. Discontent on seeing a challenge to his power, Griffith will undoubtedly pick a fight with the kingdom, which then leads to Falconia being pillaged and burned in retaliation. The survivors would then be hunted down by the monsters that lay in the wildlands, driving humans to the brink of extinction. So Griffith's ambitions run the risk of annihilating the only two known cities that are still safe for mankind.

smokeesid

Reaction score
Country
India
I don't know about the others but Griffth makes me think that he wants to eradicate most of the humans leaving a few in his care who would be ruled by him.

If all the humans die then the astral world will die with them. The few humans left, ruled by Griffith will be enslaved and directed by his will to make the best use of them.

Demonspeed

Bomb Demon
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I don't know about the others but Griffth makes me think that he wants to eradicate most of the humans leaving a few in his care who would be ruled by him.

If all the humans die then the astral world will die with them. The few humans left, ruled by Griffith will be enslaved and directed by his will to make the best use of them.
Well, Guts talked about Griffith's goal in Chapter 345. He just wants to keep flying higher and higher. He doesn't really need to enslave people or eradicate the others, it's not like they are a threat to him. He's keeping his followers in his "perfect kingdom" for himself. No sane man would want to leave such a place.

I am curious to see what is that "Age of Darkness" he will bring because it implies that even the people of Falconia won't be happy.

smokeesid

Reaction score
Country
India
Well, Guts talked about Griffith's goal in Chapter 345. He just wants to keep flying higher and higher. He doesn't really need to enslave people or eradicate the others, it's not like they are a threat to him. He's keeping his followers in his "perfect kingdom" for himself. No sane man would want to leave such a place.

I am curious to see what is that "Age of Darkness" he will bring because it implies that even the people of Falconia won't be happy.
Apostles kill humans without any reason just because they want to. It can be the same with Griffith. Human's soul, his dreams, fantasy, thoughts and feelings create the astral world. You can gain much by controlling and directing them. There is idea of evil as well, so in the end all the soul could go to him instead of going to God and things like that.

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
So what part will the Gods Hands play will in the "Age of Darkness"?