Discussion - So who is Allen? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion So who is Allen?

alexgamer155

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Okay guys the title says it all we all read chap 219 it gave us some light on the whole Earl Neah and Mana "situation" but nothing on Red(Allen) on the contrary it raised even more questions so who do you think he is?

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Unfortunately I don't think we know enough to make meaningful guesses at Allen's past right now, but I suppose we can still try?

I've gone through a few changes of opinion before settling where I am now, but currently I lean toward the idea that the Allen we know is indeed (physically) the same person that Nea knew 35 years ago (but has lost his memories). I also like the idea he might be the previous apprentice that Bookman lost, but... we just don't know! As this is the "Searching for Allen Walker" arc, maybe we'll learn something about Allen soon but I doubt it'll be in the next chapter...

Bellethiel

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Honestly I have no clue.

I just know I would like him to be an actual human being, not some kind of mytical creature or whatever.
Though if he actually somehow got younger during the years, I guess there is no way he is just ordinary guy who happened to be freinds with Nea.

Silverwolf442

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
We don't know.

I have the headcanon and like to think Cross got the wrong person. He says in chapter 203 or 204 that Allen didn't call himself Allen when they 1st met. Which is true. His name was Red. Mana started calling him Allen when he went crazy. So it'd be rather tragic if Allen basically only got his bad fate because Cross picked wrong.

But I don't think it's a coincidence that Neah was allied with an Allen who disappeared. Then Mana ends up with a dog named Allen. Then the dog is killed, and red becomes a new Allen.

But yeah. We have no ideas now. We know as much about who Allen his backstory as we do about Cross. lol

needmorespace

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Republic
I think its strange that we dont know anything about how current!allen got to the circus or what happened before that (he must have been raised by someone. After all a baby cant feed itself :P )

What i also find strange is that , when allen stabbed himself and had this "fever dream" with Mana in it, Mana started calling allen by a different name. At first i thought he called him 'red' but then Allen would have reacted differently (after all he knows Mana first met him as 'red').
Then i thought maybe Mana confused current!allen with past!Allen but still even if 'Allen' was an alias of past!Allen Mana woulf only know him as allen which in turn current!Allen would just take as his name. (Hope that makes sense :S)

So by what name does mana allen call then? And why does he do it instead of just saying 'Allen' or even 'Red'?:huh:

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
I think its strange that we dont know anything about how current!allen got to the circus or what happened before that (he must have been raised by someone. After all a baby cant feed itself :P )
As far as I remember, Red is told he was sold to the circus. A clueless kid wandering without memory and relatives can easily be kidnapped and sold away.

The censored name had 4 characters if I remember it right (too lazy to open the raw). I still havent came up with something to fit that name...

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Chapter 221 seems to make past!Allen look like he was some kind of scientist. Not just the glasses but the talk about DNA. Maybe he worked for the Black Order and was an associate of Cross. (I want to believe he was Bookman's lost apprentice, but now it's looking less likely...)

As far as I remember, Red is told he was sold to the circus. A clueless kid wandering without memory and relatives can easily be kidnapped and sold away.
Personally I don't think Allen became a baby again. I think it's more like Kanda's situation of being reborn as a ten year old with memory loss. Also I can't shake the feeling Allen getting younger is related somehow to Mana getting older.

The censored name had 4 characters if I remember it right (too lazy to open the raw). I still havent came up with something to fit that name...
In vol 19 ch 184's raw, it has 3 characters. Allen's dream version of Mana progresses like this (notice the quotation marks):
「アレン」("Allen") x 2
「アレ・」("Alle-") x 1
「ア・・」 ("A--") x 1
「・・・」 ("---") x 2
(* to make the number of letters semi-equivalent, think of the "lle" part of Allen as one letter.)

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Personally I don't think Allen became a baby again. I think it's more like Kanda's situation of being reborn as a ten year old with memory loss. Also I can't shake the feeling Allen getting younger is related somehow to Mana getting older.
That what's I'm trying to say. Also, thank you for the character count ;v;

hanaIaw

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Also I can't shake the feeling Allen getting younger is related somehow to Mana getting older.
Mana was about 17 years old and when he met Allen he said he's in the middle of age about 40 years old (?) -as I remember-
Past!Allen don't seem that old so why ?

+

about Allen name I was thinking that Mana called him "Akaude" , Is it possible to write Akaude using 3 characters ?

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
about Allen name I was thinking that Mana called him "Akaude" , Is it possible to write Akaude using 3 characters ?
LFoS wrote the name with two characters

Mylezine

Reaction score
Country
France
Ok so...recently I've been thinking. Who is Allen, where does he comes from. And from the latest Chapters, we are almost sure he and Neah know each other from at least 35 years ago...but Allen is probably ~16 now right ?

Ok now take this into account:

- Neah and The Earl are the same person.
- The Earl decided at some point to become a baby and start from new, but he then became TWO babies, he and Neah.
- Neah, being the same as the Earl, has the same power to move the Ark, so logically, he also has the power to become a baby right ?

So, 35 years ago, when the person we think is Allen, decided to be Neah's body, then Neah take his body, and somehow turn into a baby again => Baby Allen, that would explain why Allen already had his innocence from when he's a child, than would also explain why right know he's only about 16 and doesn't remember anything... as for what happened between those 35 years, maybe Neah/Allen didn't turn back 35 years ago but ~16 years, and if we think 35 years ago Allen/Neah was Bookman apprentice, that would also explain why Neah knows so much about everything, the Orders etc...

That's only my theory based on what we know and the clues we have...what do you think ?

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I am part of the people who think that Past Allen =/= Allen Walker.
As a matter of fact Cross realized in hindsigh "when I met him he made himself call "Red" how did I not realize my mistake sooner?" whick implies that Past Allen could not have gone by any other name if it was him.
I mean, Cross got over the fact that the kid he found was..well a 10 years old kid instead of an adult man but him not having the right name IS the thing that made him doubt his choice.
So this makes me think that the name does have a very high importance in the reincarnation process of the fourteenth. And this mysterious other name may very well have a role to play in it.
As someone pointed above, it is very well possible that Cross's mistake is what tragically pulled Allen in all this trouble (this doesn't exclude the fact that Red was special nonetheless).

So... well, I didn't answer the question at all xd

Another question that must be answered is how Allen got his innocence. We don't know much about parasitic types but I don't think they are born with it. Krory got bitten by a flower, Hevlaska was "offered to God", Timothy had to swallow it and Klaud and Maria, we don"t know. So it seems that in general parasitic innocence tend to be...forced into the accomodator's body. :s

+ I have the firm conviction that Allen is human because of this :

Dlanor_A.Knox

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
+ I have the firm conviction that Allen is human because of this :
Wouldn't it be a nice 'twist" if Allen wasn't human and we would already have known if Komui had checked him....
I just like thinking about these "what if" scenarios :)

mugen

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Allen is a plot device simply being used to eloborate on the secrets of the Noah and Mana.

Aracely

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
I very much like the theory that past!Allen was Bookman's lost former apprentice. There's no direct evidence, but it would make sense given how knowledgeable past!Allen was.

I reckon that past!Allen went on the run for years, and that eventually he was caught by the Apocryphos, who implanted Innocence into his hand. The Apocryphos has a cross marking on its chest which matches the size of the Innocence in Allen's hand; I think it's almost certain that it literally cut that Innocence out of itself and put it into Allen's hand.

Past!Allen becoming younger might have been a side-effect of the implantation, or a side-effect of something past!Allen did to try to defend himself, or...who knows. We do know that whatever happened to make past!Allen become younger, he ended up with amnesia somehow too. It's plausible that that was simply caused by him becoming younger. But if not, the Apocryphos could have been responsible for it: we've seen it shoving its feathers into people to erase their short-term memories, and it's not unreasonable to assume it could wipe whatever it wanted.

I think that Cross must have been very confused and upset to find that a little kid was the host, and that he must have been expecting an adult who was of an appropriate age to have already been alive before Nea died. Presumably, Cross must have assumed that the original host had somehow passed the memory on to kid Allen, either having deliberately selected a kid named Allen for the task or having actually named him that, with the name being a signal to the few people in the know about there being a host. The name itself was plainly of great importance.

Kid!Allen was definitely the host after all, so the fact that Allen wasn't his name at the time means something went wrong with past!Allen's plans. I would guess that the Apocryphos and a fragment of its Innocence being placed in Allen's hand was what went wrong. When Cross said "When we met...he didn't tell me his name was Allen. I should've caught my mistake sooner" he was talking to the Apocryphos. It would make sense if the Apocryphos were related to the matter. Why else would it be relevant enough to bring up?

As well as that, the Apocryphos is genuinely fond of Allen. It said "You've grown into a splendid Exorcist...Allen" as if it had met him before he was one. Which would make sense if it was the one who gave him the Innocence to begin with. It may have given Allen the Innocence specifically with the end goal of merging with him later.

ca12nag3

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I very much like the theory that past!Allen was Bookman's lost former apprentice. There's no direct evidence, but it would make sense given how knowledgeable past!Allen was.

That would be a big work around. Since it is a known fact that both the Bookman and Kanda story are actually 2 different manga ideas Hoshino had prior to D Gray Man. Both got axed down and never got beyond the idea stage. Hoshino simply took those 2 stories and molded them into DGM.
Kanda has a lot of good connections to the story itself, while Bookman is not a necessity. But it could work with Allen being a former apprentice. Yet Bookman would have known this and used more effort in protecting him.

Aracely

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
That would be a big work around. Since it is a known fact that both the Bookman and Kanda story are actually 2 different manga ideas Hoshino had prior to D Gray Man. Both got axed down and never got beyond the idea stage. Hoshino simply took those 2 stories and molded them into DGM.
Kanda has a lot of good connections to the story itself, while Bookman is not a necessity. But it could work with Allen being a former apprentice. Yet Bookman would have known this and used more effort in protecting him.
I'd say that Hoshino's had plenty of time to make alterations and incorporate whatever she wants. She's not limited by what her original separate manga ideas were. We know that, say, in the original plans for the series before it was called D.Gray-man, Allen was an Akuma, but that was changed. And we know that even during D.Gray-man as we know it, Hoshino started out with a completely different backstory in mind for Kanda from the one she went with later.

The main problem with past!Allen as a former Bookman apprentice is that there's (as far as I remember) no indication that Bookman recognised him. Even with Allen having white hair, a scar, and having a different way of speaking, it would be surprising if Bookman didn't at least notice a resemblance.

ca12nag3

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I'd say that Hoshino's had plenty of time to make alterations and incorporate whatever she wants. She's not limited by what her original separate manga ideas were. We know that, say, in the original plans for the series before it was called D.Gray-man, Allen was an Akuma, but that was changed. And we know that even during D.Gray-man as we know it, Hoshino started out with a completely different backstory in mind for Kanda from the one she went with later.

The main problem with past!Allen as a former Bookman apprentice is that there's (as far as I remember) no indication that Bookman recognised him. Even with Allen having white hair, a scar, and having a different way of speaking, it would be surprising if Bookman didn't at least notice a resemblance.
I think so too. Yet Hoshino is known for changing her mind. Road might be the best example. She didn't look girlish at all. Then she changed that. She actually knows Allen yet prior to her fight she seemed to have no special connection to him.
I wonder how far Hoshino thought ahead about her story. "She came up with it in the bathtub". But did ahe work it out? Or just go with the flow?

Dlanor_A.Knox

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I have a feeling that she knew the main story beforehand, but changed details/bits 'n pieces while writing.