Seinen - Solanin by ASANO Inio | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Solanin by ASANO Inio

LNsu

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
"Solanin" by ASANO Inio 2005

Synopsis:

A down to earth slice of life view of a young couple, Inoue Meiko and Taneda Shigeo, who deal with everyday thoughts and occurrences. A slow paced telling of dreams, freedom, and boredom. The reality of society is cold and harsh yet warm and bright, as we see the hardships and bonding of old and new friends, couples, and strangers.

Title: Solanin
Mangaka: ASANO Inio
Genre: Seinen, Comedy, Slice-of-Life, Drama, Romance, Tragedy
Serialized by: Young Sunday
Edited Mangas: Complete

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This piece truly moved the way I see life. I don't even know how it moved me, but I truly feel touched by the bittersweet feeling. A lasting nostalgic emotion that I will always be with.
Then again, I'm a big pushover.

Revilenigma

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just started reading this one, I'm a huge fan of Asano.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Great, great manga. Worth reading if you want something that transcends the medium. Inio has a good feel for every day life and what motivates young adults. I can't think of anyone who writes about the ambivalence, fear, and uncertainty of reconciling the real world with the idealized one we construct as children. I'm looking forward to the movie.

Revilenigma

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just finished it and I think it's awesome! not as good as Nijihara Holograph but definitely deserves to win an Eisner.

boke

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought this and enjoyed it alot. I like how Asano can mix humor with the tragedy of everyday life. Very poignant in places, but never gets too sentimental or weepy.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
The U.S. edition was spectacular, I'm glad I waited and didn't read the Edited Mangas.

Everything in Inio's little world seems so real. Even his more magic realist inspired series, Nijihara Holograph and Pun Pun come to mind, seems so grounded in day to day life that the fantastic seems mundane. And I do love that mix of humor and tragedy; he completely captures the complexity of early adult hood without manipulating the audience. I'm looking forward to VIZ's release of What a Wonderful World, I'm tired of waiting for volume 2 to be translated ^^

Revilenigma

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm looking forward to VIZ's release of What a Wonderful World, I'm tired of waiting for volume 2 to be translated ^^
I know how you feel, it's the reason why I haven't started reading it yet.

I liked the volume cover of the original a lot better than the one viz had.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
After Holograph I couldn't resist reading What a Wonderful World, incomplete or no. The former was better, but World is still brilliant. I really need to read Pun Pun but haven't had a chance yet.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Ch 29 is out, a new one.

It's not a different translation, I skimmed the book, so this is an epilogue?? Might re-read it before trying this. Edit - apparently it came out last year.

Last edited: