Theory - Soumei's motive on joining the Central: Noble intwntions or sheer hypocrisy? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Soumei's motive on joining the Central: Noble intwntions or sheer hypocrisy?

Chingaruna517

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, since the current and past chapters are about Soumei lets us discuss this specifically his reasona in joining the Central. Personally, while I do feel both sorry about his past since he came from a simple restaurant, making him as a few noble Elites among the Central, I couldn't helped but to sense that Soumei the Samurai Chef is actually a hypocrite who, while proclaiming doing something honorable, is ironically supporting the very same system that tormented his mom.

From the previous chapter, it was understandable because he had a dream to becoming a best sushi chef just like his mom, at leat it was a once upon a time thing. However, the restaurant his mother working for has a tendencies in discriminating somebody for not meeting its "policy", making them were much bigger buttholes. That eventually caused the mother gotten sick and Soumei, who was naturally upset by this, then took his mom's position and worked with the said restaurant and talking about changing the sushi world upside down, and he did. What happened next was he challenged the authority of the sushi community and won, but it didn't fell enough for him. So, when Azami given him a sweet deal in joining his revolution so nobody shall suffer the same mishap, he imnediately took it despite knowing the vile intentions beneath that said revolution.

To me, the only thing I see Soumei is actually angry to the world for his tragedies but blamed it. The Bushido stuff he learned from his teen days?
My personal thought has to be his mask to his real feeling, rage. And him joining the Central? Apparently even before his encounter with Azami, he has already given up his ideal since his mom's condition is beyond fixable. And he didn't care about the world anymore...

So, how do you think about Soumei's reason in joining the Central?

Wookitake

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I thought it was pretty weak as well. Azami will force restaurants to close if they do not agree to his regime, as he's done with multiple RSs at Tootsuki.

The most honest reason to join Central, from the former E10s, was Eizan's. I forgot in which chapter we got some other explanations, such as Eishi's.

Strelitzia95

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
His intentions were noble and the way Azami spoke of his plans, definitely enticed Saito. The Sushi chef's that Saito's mother worked for did not treat her like shit because she didn't meet their policy, they treated her like shit simply because she was a woman. Azami is a dick through and through and he has plans to force many restaurants to cook his true way or close down. But he isn't out here forcing chef's out of the kitchen because of gender.

Is Saito a hypocrite? Maybe a little. I'd personally say he's more blinded by the fact that he doesn't want people to face what his mother faced and is simply turning a blind eye to Azami's other aspects. Saito is best described as a Samurai who's gone down the wrong path and needs to be brought back to the light. He's still a good man and I imagine he'll leave Central after his fight with Soma.