Summer 2014 Anime Awards | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Summer 2014 Anime Awards

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Welcome to the Summer 2014 Anime Awards! Come vote for, and discuss, your favorites of the season.

Rules
  • Only anime that started during the Summer 2014 season, and anime continuing from the spring, are eligible for awards.
  • Best Anime of Summer 2014, Most Surprising, Most Disappointing, and all genre awards are poll based.
  • Best Anime of Summer 2014, Most Surprising, Most Disappointing will allow an unlimited number of votes per member in the first round.
  • The top five will move to the final round.
  • Genre categories will allow one vote per member.
  • The top two will move on to the final round.
  • The first round of all other categories will allow up to three nominations per member.
  • The three anime with the most nominations will move on to the final, voting round.
Categories
  1. Best Anime of Summer 2014
  2. Most Surprising Anime
  3. Most Disappointing Anime
  4. Best Opening
  5. Best Ending
  6. Best Soundtrack
  7. Best Male Voice Actor
  8. Best Female Voice Actor
  9. Best Animation
  10. Best Character Design
  11. Best Male Lead
  12. Best Female Lead
  13. Best Male Supporting Character
  14. Best Female Supporting Character
  15. Best Full Cast
  16. Best Science Fiction
  17. Best Action
  18. Best Super Natural
  19. Best Comedy
  20. Best Drama
  21. Best Mystery
  22. Best Sports

Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
About the categorized eligible animes, some fit several categories, does it mean that they can't be chosen for more than one?

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
About the categorized eligible animes, some fit several categories, does it mean that they can't be chosen for more than one?
Genre categories will be poll based, there will not be a nomination round. There are not enough shows per genre for open nominations to be workable. While some shows may fit multiple genres, they have been arranged so that every genre has a reasonable number of options, and that every show is competing against relatively comparable anime. This also ensures that every eligible show is at least represented.

Last edited:

alchem1485

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I think Mahouka is kind of Science Fiction ?

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I think it was placed in the Action poll to balance the candidates in each poll, for no other reason than that. There are many anime listed here that would fall under multiple categories, after all.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I think it was placed in the Action poll to balance the candidates in each poll, for no other reason than that. There are many anime listed here that would fall under multiple categories, after all.
Virtually every anime, really all entertainment, could be described by multiple genres. Mahouka could also have fit the supernatural category well. As you said, I wanted categories to have similar number of entries to ensure fairness. Having one category with three titles and another with twelve would not have worked. Rather than having too many, my bigger concern was some categories having too few. That is why I skipped genre staples like romance and horror. There were not enough of each, all could comfortably be included in broader genres, like drama and supernatural. Science fiction would have been an uncomfortable fit for Mahouka. It's not incorrect. It takes place in the future, engineering and technology are important parts of the story - even more so in the novels. But that is not the series primary appeal. Action and magic are the driving forces behind the show. Either the action or supernatural genre worked best. At some point genre discussions are nothing more than botany. Whether Mahouka (or any other anime) is action, supernatural, or science fiction is irrelevant as long as it is included in an appropriate category, competing against similar anime, where fans have a chance at a fair vote. Science fiction probably would have been less fair, both to Mahouka and the other anime in the category. Competing against a list of mostly mecha and other shows that Mahouka has little in common with would not be fair, or equitable, to any of the series involved.

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Most probably not the biggest deal, but the thread for the eligible anime that is specified in the nomination/poll threads is invalid. Maybe it's linking to a previously deleted thread. I thought I would just note it down here, in case it becomes an issue or anything.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Today is the last day for nominations?

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score