Discussion - Survey about ages among OP readers here in MH | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Survey about ages among OP readers here in MH

The Age of One Piece Readers and/or Viewers in MangaHelpers

• Total voters

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Some time ago, NHK searched the ages of OP readers. This the new of that moment:

NHK, Japan’s national broadcasting organization (the Japanese equivalent to North America’s PBS), ran a story a few months ago that we stumbled across today and really surprised us – 88% of One Piece fans are over the age of 18! Specifically, 43% of fans are between the ages of 19 and 29, 32% are between the ages of 30 and 49, and 13% are over 50! One Piece made it’s manga debut in 1997, 14 years ago. Many of those viewers may have been kids or teenagers when the series stated, but even so, for an enormous fan base comprised of millions of people to continue enjoying the same series for over a decade is quite impressive!

It would be interesting to see what will be the distributions among OP readers here in MH; so, what group do you belong to?

Sorry for the grammar mistake in the question: belongs*

Last edited:

Razh

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I'm in that 19-29 group. For 2 more years at least. Started watching OP when I was 15, I think.

Laif

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
I'm also in that group (19-29). Started a fantastic adventure with OP 6 or 7 years ago.. If i remember correct :^_^

BurnSchulz

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Oh yeah. Not so long anymore and i will come to the next group. ^^

And as i started with One Piece i was in the first group!

Razh

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I guess it's too much to hope that I'll follow One Piece in the last group as well? :p

llaubacher

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Meh, I feel so young here. I started watching One Piece when I was nearly 16, or 16 already but even though I really love this manga and anime, I honestly doubt that I will read/see it till the very end. No particular reason, just my opinion.

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Shouldn't the first option be 1-17 though? I predict a huge percentage of my kindred, as most here have grown up during the 90/00s.:-P

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Shouldn't the first option be 1-17 though? I predict a huge percentage of my kindred, as most here have grown up during the 90/00s.:-P
It's to make it comparable with the Japanese stats. I posted the same poll in some Spanish sites. You could do the same in the most visited German site. In the end it would be interesting to ha a survey along the world.

maravish

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm 21, started reading it I think when i was 18 or 19?

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Friendly advice:

The poll options are grouped in such a way that it will badly skew results. The Japanese poll was conducted at Kinokuniya Bookstores, the largest chain in Japan, polling a large cross section of Japan. The population being polled at MH is very, very different. The vast majority of our members are between 18 - 29 years old. We have only a very small population of members under 15. Grouping 18 year old members with 1 - 17 will not tell you anything about who is reading One Piece. There are too many 18 year olds, and too few 15 or below. So many of our members are between 19 - 29, grouping them all together will not tell you very much either. If you really want to learn something about the age of One Piece fans, my advice is something more like:
  1. 1 - 14
  2. 15 - 17
  3. 18 - 24
  4. 25 - 29
  5. 30 - 39
  6. 40+
That would better reflect who comes to MH, and thus who potentially is reading this thread. The current poll reflects the customer base of Japan's largest bookstore, a much different sample population.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Don´t forget though, the result NHK has refers to the volume readers or rather the volume buyers, it does not include the readers who prefer to buy WSJ.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Friendly advice:

The poll options are grouped in such a way that it will badly skew results. The Japanese poll was conducted at Kinokuniya Bookstores, the largest chain in Japan, polling a large cross section of Japan. The population being polled at MH is very, very different. The vast majority of our members are between 18 - 29 years old. We have only a very small population of members under 15. Grouping 18 year old members with 1 - 17 will not tell you anything about who is reading One Piece. There are too many 18 year olds, and too few 15 or below. So many of our members are between 19 - 29, grouping them all together will not tell you very much either. If you really want to learn something about the age of One Piece fans, my advice is something more like:
  1. 1 - 14
  2. 15 - 17
  3. 18 - 24
  4. 25 - 29
  5. 30 - 39
  6. 40+
That would better reflect who comes to MH, and thus who potentially is reading this thread. The current poll reflects the customer base of Japan's largest bookstore, a much different sample population.
I propose to delete the thread and create a new one with just a minor change in the groups you suggest:

1. 1 - 13
  2. 14 - 18
  3. 19 - 24
  4. 25 - 29
  5. 30 - 39
  6. 40 - 49
  7. 50 or more

In that way the groups would cover what you point to, and also we could add the total results in a way that makes possible the comparison with the Japanese search: still you have in those groups the data about 1-18, 19-29, 30-49, 50+. :-)

Ankit

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Started when I was 10, I'll be 17 next week

winterwyrm

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I'm also in the 18-29 group, though I started reading when I was 16 after reading up to the current chapter in naruto I needed something more and couldn't resist reading at least the other "big three"

RezzieThaRapper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I turned 21 in march lol... I watched back since 4KidsTV had it in America until it got cancelled the first time here... never knew about the edits until I started reading manga with my friends at my technical college... and then I picked it back up, it's funny how awesome it was the second time around even though I didn't mind the edits lol

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
The results only confirmed what everybody here did already knew, that most members are in their twenties and have grown up with the manga boom of the 90s/early 2000s. Can we restart the poll with narrower age groups as suggested before?

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
The results only confirmed what everybody here did already knew, that most members are in their twenties and have grown up with the manga boom of the 90s/early 2000s. Can we restart the poll with narrower age groups as suggested before?
Definitely.
And I would add the boom happened in the 90s and early 2000s due to the fact it was this time where almost every manga was getting an anime, English Dubs arrived had arrived on the scene in big numbers at that time too.
How about from... 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39 and so forth?

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
21. I forgot when I started reading it but I think it was around 2006, but I was aware of it longer than that. I had the US jump issue when it was still at chapter 15. I remember distinctly because I remember seeing Zoro with his bandana and three swords and thinking "This guy looks awesome!" and proceeded to create a few characters based off of his look. Ah, those were the days.

Last edited:

kulugo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
wow someone's in the 200 range... :teehee

started watching OP around early 2000s, around my teens at the time, now im 28.. geez how time flies. hope i get to see it til the end of this awesome manga.

marcassin

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Started reading One Piece 2 or 3 years ago ! And I'm 30. And I'll read it until the end !!!!

I also think that a poll with different age groups will be more relevant !!