Webtoon - Survival of the Sword King in a Fantasy World by SOON-Q, YKB | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Webtoon Survival of the Sword King in a Fantasy World by SOON-Q, YKB

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Title: Survival of the Sword King in a Fantasy World
Alt Name: História de sobrevivência de um rei da espada em um mundo de fantasia, Isekai Kenou Seizon-ki, Otherworldly Sword King's Survival Records, Survival Story of a Sword King, Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World, The Survival Record of the Sword King in Another World, Latna Saga: Survival of a Sword King, การเอาชีวิตรอดของราชาดาบในต่างโลก, 拔剑九亿次, 異世界剣王生存記, 異界剣王生存記, 異界劍王生存記, 이계 검왕 생존기, 이계검왕생존기
Genres: Manhwa - webtoon, action, fantasy, adventure
Author/Artist: SOON-Q, YKB/ SOON-Q, Studio Khit
Publisher: Kakao and Daum
Publication Period: 2019
Kakao links:
Kakao Link 1
Kakao Link 2

Introduction:
Ryu Han Bin gets transported to Rath'na as one of the 7 billion chosen ones. To his misfortune, he received a bugged Guideline (think of it like an RPG system). Due to this bugged Guideline, Ryu Han Bin can't level out of the newbie area. He spends the next 20 years surviving fighting hell dogs that scales with his stats.

Impression:
This is one of the regular webtoons I keep up with. The plot is very entertaining and better written. By better written, I appreciate that though the protagonist is OP, he's strength is not the answer to everything unlike other works where the OP protagonist can resolve everything with power. This aspect alone gives much more depth to the protagonist and the cast. Another thing, even though the MC is OP, he's not arrogant about it but very down to earth and meek about it. There's also a good mix of humor, action, adventure, and tragedy. The webtoon doesn't feature a lot of RPG-esque elements that the protagonist use in other isekai, so there aren't a lot of technical details of monsters, plants, items and etc. displayed. SOO-Q and YKB focuses on telling the story as a fantasy adventure on how the Sword King survives in a fantasy world.

Reactions: Wha

Wha

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Caught up and i am positively surprised. They did something different with that kind of setting (resurrected to be a roleplay character in a fantasy world) and it works for me. Decent character development, decent story and good laughs. I enjoy it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The new season is looking good. I liked that wrestling show and that activist prank.
I do wonder if his quest line is still working for Omphlaus, or if Kivye changed that too.

segua

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Caught up and i am positively surprised. They did something different with that kind of setting (resurrected to be a roleplay character in a fantasy world) and it works for me. Decent character development, decent story and good laughs. I enjoy it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The new season is looking good. I liked that wrestling show and that activist prank.
I do wonder if his quest line is still working for Omphlaus, or if Kivye changed that too.
In chp 184, Kivye pulled out the guideline and Atisse shot his blast at the guideline. Going back to re-read 184, the guideline wasn't deleted but countless lines of code were deleted. Just corroborating details, I think the guideline is still there albeit heavily modified. Sure the killing addiction is gone and who knows what all was deleted, but it looks like Ryu Han Bin still has his bugged guideline which is even more bugged. In chp 186, the guideline registered a new mission which showed Ryu Hanbin still has his guideline.

I am thinking that the original guideline's mission was to kill the goddess. I am thinking that the guideline's original mission is still intact but because Zenovia's and Garhan's interference, they could be the new target of the guideline. But this is pure conjecture seeing how the guideline wants Ryu Hanbin to inflitrate the Church of the Holy Mother or Zenovia's organization.

But yea I thought the addition of pro-wrestling and a guy that looks like the Undertaker was a great set-up.

Wha

Reaction score
Country
Austria
In chp 184, Kivye pulled out the guideline and Atisse shot his blast at the guideline. Going back to re-read 184, the guideline wasn't deleted but countless lines of code were deleted. Just corroborating details, I think the guideline is still there albeit heavily modified. Sure the killing addiction is gone and who knows what all was deleted, but it looks like Ryu Han Bin still has his bugged guideline which is even more bugged. In chp 186, the guideline registered a new mission which showed Ryu Hanbin still has his guideline.

I am thinking that the original guideline's mission was to kill the goddess. I am thinking that the guideline's original mission is still intact but because Zenovia's and Garhan's interference, they could be the new target of the guideline. But this is pure conjecture seeing how the guideline wants Ryu Hanbin to inflitrate the Church of the Holy Mother or Zenovia's organization.

But yea I thought the addition of pro-wrestling and a guy that looks like the Undertaker was a great set-up.
What i meant was that the guideline is supposed to carry Omphlaus will. Due to Kivye "hacking" and changing it, that might not be the case anymore.
Maybe it's not the will of Omphlaus, but the will of the Goddess of Darkness (Kivye) that guides him now?
Meaning that Kivye wants him to infiltrate the Church of the Holy Mother. But it's just a theory.

Speaking of the changes = it would be awesome, if his skill restriction is gone. I remember him struggling to form an aura blade only because of the guideline and his level....

segua

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States
What i meant was that the guideline is supposed to carry Omphlaus will. Due to Kivye "hacking" and changing it, that might not be the case anymore.
Maybe it's not the will of Omphlaus, but the will of the Goddess of Darkness (Kivye) that guides him now?
Meaning that Kivye wants him to infiltrate the Church of the Holy Mother. But it's just a theory.

Speaking of the changes = it would be awesome, if his skill restriction is gone. I remember him struggling to form an aura blade only because of the guideline and his level....
I think you have an excellent point. The guideline was "modified." To what extant, we do not know which gives room for the author to play it out. But I have three observations, the Joy of Omphlaus (Killing Addiction) is gone, the guideline quest system is no longer bugged, and the guideline still exists which looks further bugged.

I would assume that Ryu Hanbin can now level up properly. But I think there is still an issue. If you ever played games with rebirthing, you have to reach a certain level to rebirth all the way back to lvl 1 with either better starting stats or access to an evolved class. Ryu Hanbin rebirthed countless times that even with a fixed leveling system, he needs an insane amount of XP.

And I follow what you're saying Wha. There is a possibility for Kivye hacking Ryu Hanbin's guideline and here's why I think that. The Goddess Kivryelle tasked Kivye to find the Sword King and as Garhan and Zenovia discovered, Kivryelle sealed her knowledge and information on controlling divine power into Kivye. Kivryelle may have hacked Ryu Hanbin's bugged guideline through Kivye during that kiss in chp 184. The guideline is a kind of divine power and so it would not be weird for Kivryelle to rewrite some of the code in the guideline. Plus, I think Ryu Hanbin having a bugged guideline worked for Kivyrelle.

I'm also thinkg this. The Omphlaus guideline was to aid the Earthlings in killing the Goddesses. It wouldn't be strange with Kivryelle to turn Omphlaus's guideline against Garhan and Zenovia who have taken Kivryelle's powers. Since Kivryelle is sealed and lost all her divine power, she is technically no longer a goddess and was replaced by both Garhan and Zenovia. Like what it says in chp 4, in order to fulfill the win conditions, Ryu Hanbin just needs to kill both Garhan and Zenovia.

So it would not be strange if Kivryelle is directing Ryu Hanbin's bugged guideline to kill two birds with one stone: stop Omphlaus's invasion and end Garhan and Zenovia.

Wha

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Now i am pretty much convinced that we were right. Especially since it was mentionted that other Outer worldlers don't get that quest.
I also noticed those black dots. At first, i wasn't sure if it was just symbolizing that the guideline is bugged. Now, i am starting to think that they represent Kivryelle.

The pieces start to get in place. I am looking forward to the reunion of the main crew.
And hopefully, Berkman and his people survive again.

segua

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like Hanbin has finally resolved himself in getting involved once again. The Berkman's look very happy especially with the success of super wrestling. And I'm sure that super wrestling can continue being a cover to recruit more allies to turn into a wrestling federation! It would be funny if things progressed that way and they end up calling the wrestling federation the Great Earth Wrestling Federation!

But the Church of the Holy Mother is definitely sketch. They want high level monsters so I think the artificial guideline research is still going on or the monsters are fueling the level ups for everyone who is in the Church of the Holy Mother.

Wha

Reaction score
Country
Austria
I would love to see that haha.
It was already fun watching Hanbin beat that monster with some wrestling moves.
Although i do wonder what happened with the killing addiction of Bella, and the rest of the outer worldlers of Great Earth. The Undertaker probably never killed a native, but we do know that Bella did.

Good point, i think that you are right. They either use those monsters to further fuel the fake guideline, or they want to gain a better understanding of Omphlaus powers. Since they already stole the powers of one Godess, it isn't a far stretch to assume that they might try the same thing with Omphlaus himself. And i could imagine him playing along, corrupting them for his needs on the way.
I could also see them studying the powers of the angels. If you manage to replicate that (absorbing the abilities of others), it could come in pretty handy.

segua

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you're on to something. I think Zenovia is conducting more research to take more power. Maybe they are hoping to become like Omphlaus and the divine powers from the goddesses.

Wha

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Ok, nice developments. Although i don't get the part about the guideline. He is the only one that has got one!? Or is it a bad translation and they mean that his is the only one that is still working?

And is Hollian the real Hollian?

segua

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like Hollian's doll was taken over.

Yea, I'm not sure if Han Bin has the only working guideline. But that's what the translations are saying. And that's really weird.