Take a look at my drawing/cellshading/lineart please. | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Take a look at my drawing/cellshading/lineart please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuCas23332

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I got into line-art 2 days ago and cell shading yesterday, but have been drawing for awhile (I don't draw that often but I am starting to get into drawing more now) so i'm kind of new to all this business, please tell me what I need to work on (on my drawing, line art, or cell shading, anything as long as i improve in them)

Drawing, RAW:

Line Art (used Manga Studio):

Cell shading (used Photoshop CS4):

Also, my style of cell shading is to make it so that it looks anime-ish. Like straight from an anime, thats why I kind of blurred it. maybe I blurred it too much lol.

I spent like the whole day trying to do cell shading to this and I think i'm wasting way too much time... I hope to get much faster as I do this often. I'm not complaining because I do enjoy doing this so yeah. I just think it'll be great if I get faster doing this as I progress lol.

I read tutorials of line-art and cell shading. Understanding those cell shading tutorials was a bitch, to be honest. Most of them explain in a way where they think we are already familiar with photoshop -___________- but now I understand more.

Please rate/comment/whatever, thanks!

edit: I know the line art still has those white fuzzy shits in them, I messed up and was too lazy to go all the way back to fix it. I couldn't fix it when I was almost done cause it didnt let me so yeah.

edit2: To understand the shading, hes walking at night in the dark while in the rain where theres lots of clouds. Does the shading look right? lol

Last edited:

AnkorSVK

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
First im not a manga fanart artist to see what i draw look up a thread in this section.
My comments:
First you need to work on your lineart the right hand is to tiny and isnt realy holding the umbrela. The rest of anatomy is hard to judge cos i saw styles from 8 head-real art western comics to chibi styles.
About the coloring its too poor you should decide if you wand a B&W or a colored version. Your colored version could use a ot of work.
Decide for one direction from where the light should come(if more sources of light the dominant one) the side on every part from head to toe should be brighter and the colour should darken from this point following the vector of the light.
Iin your picture you messed with it on several places(left arm left side of torso left leg).
The shadow from the umbrela isnt bad but if the shadow is big enough to reach to the torso theres no way to have such highlight in the hair.
Also the shadow in his face i wouldnt pull it lower than his eyes/nose.

You tried also to create fold shadows and stresslines on the jeans or what it should be but its to messy and unnatural to get a better felling for that try drawing them in your sketch-lineart and look on some fashion magasines, catalogue or some photos.

Also a sure point of shadow is the meeting place of clothes like shirt and trousers theres always one overlaying the another.

LuCas23332

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow thats a lot of mistakes but thanks, it helped a lot. Ill take note of every single one of them , thanks!

I guess my biggest mistake is determining where the shadows will be and where the light hits and doesn't hit, lol.

AnkorSVK

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Try building the body from basic geometrical objects like cylinders that may help you a bit also try first one source of light and outline it with an arrow from where it goes

LuCas23332

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright, ill try that :P

edit: Ok this is currently day 4th or 5th, my goal is to learn something new everyday in cell shading until the next week & a half, and here I experimented with something new to me its the dodge tool and smudge tool.

How is it? is the shading done correctly? did my cell shading improve a lot?
Thanks. I plan to re-do the cell shading on the whole thing in the picture I put it in this topic, the coloring seems too cartoon-ish. Remember, my style is to cell shade so that it looks straightly taken from an anime episode.

edit2: if its too big, just right click > copy image location, and paste in address and you can see it in thumbnail

Last edited:

~FrienD~

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i can't seem to understand the picture. by the way you used liquefy filters? or just smudged?

AnkorSVK

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
i can't seem to understand the picture. by the way you used liquefy filters? or just smudged?
The same here have no idea what it realy should shows. Also i would use blur only for the BG when smudge-blur on the characters then only a realy weak one

LuCas23332

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's angled kind of on top of the person's foot and he is walking in a rainy night. That little thing on the bottom left is the curve of a building.

I used the smudge, & a little of dodge and burn. I split the line art into three layers (rain, person/building, and the raindrops on the ground) because of some problems I was having.

Is that word "when" supposed to be "then"? I am kind of having a hard time understanding that sentence (really weak blur on the character?)

edit: I don't know why I chose green for the rain drops btw, lol. This was all done by hand (no brushes or anything) but I think i'm going to start using brushes for cell shading some things, because things like clouds are like impossible to perfect in cell shading :x

Last edited:

~FrienD~

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
The same here have no idea what it realy should shows. Also i would use blur only for the BG when smudge-blur on the characters then only a realy weak one
i agree, blurring the whole image messes the focus. Notice that blur is commonly used on parts that you don't wanna focus(on anime's and cg). For ex: his/her reflection could've been the sharpest since he is the subject.

Last edited:

AnkorSVK

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Like i said im not an anime artist but i wouldnt use the blur on the character unless i want to create an effect but its all up to your judgement. The shading of the folds looks better even though its hard to recognise it on my low-middle class notebook screen :P.

About the motive i suggest you start with sceneries and characters-half body full body.

Status
Not open for further replies.