Seinen - Takidani Koukou Manga Club | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Takidani Koukou Manga Club

alphabeta

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Title: Takidani Koukou Manga Club
Genres: Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, School, Slice of Life, Seinen
Author: Maybe
Artist: Maybe
Publication: Young Animal
Start Date: 2009
End Date: Finished
Number of chapters at review: 1 (One Shot)
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 1

General Overview:
The Takidani Koukou Manga Club is said to be one of, if not the *the* most infamous manga club in all of japan’s highschools. Our hero Masamichi Masaki, a very enthusiastic kid with a passion for manga went through a lot of trouble only to join this club. Finally, the moment arrives when he steps in front of the clubs doors, takes a deep breath… and steps in. But what he finds out inside the club room was far from what he imagined. The infamous manga club that he heard of has been “reformed” into nothing else, but an Erotic Manga Club. (Yes, I know what you’re thinking right now. :hurr)

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 9
The art in Takidani Koukou Manga Club is on a very high level. Maybe uses a lot of basic techniques like screen tones or speedlines, but the quality with which he carries them out it outstanding. The backgrounds are both realistic and detailed, while the characters designs are unique and memorable. We see a little cinematic paneling in this one shot, which is IMHO just another plus and makes the general feeling even better.

Plot: 8
Good, solid, planned out, nice introduction, nice ending. It’s these kinda things that appear in my head when I think about the plot of Takidani Koukou Manga Club. The driving force that keeps the reader interested is obviously the “erotic manga club” twist but I dare say that with time passing it becomes a secondary theme and the characters pick up the baton of being the “driving force”. Maybe casually adds elements to his story and constantly develops it until one moment the reader suddenly realizes the story has ended and he was completely absorbed by it. Hands down, professionally planned, professionally carried out.

Characters: 8
This one shot has only two characters and I dare say that both were very well thought out by Maybe. Both their character designs and personalities create an interesting combination when put together, and combined with the setting in which they appear it makes the plot all the more interesting. Maybe made a very good job at giving his characters a certain amount of “deepness” and even managed to pull a little character development into the whole story.

Theme: 8
If I’d say that romance would be an appearing theme in this one shot I’d be only half true. On one side, there are obviously some notes of romanticism available in the plot, but on the other hand they are indeed only “notes” and don’t have enough screen time to be considered a real theme. All the while, I would rather point out that this one shot is about two different characters who are united by one common goal and their relationship that sprouts out from this setting. Not really original looking from the theme’s POV, however the way it’s carried out is on a totally different level. More of that in the next section, though. :p

Originality: 9
The idea of a manga-within-manga plot is nowhere near original. There are several series who have a similar theme as their main attraction and even more series that use this theme as a sub-theme for some smaller arcs/characters. However, I still gave this section a 9 all because of the twist with the ero manga. I’ve never seen any series which took a (more or less) series approach at the H-manga theme. Whatever, I think it was original, end of the story. >_>

Overall: 8
Most definitely a very nice read. It still lacks this certain “something” that would make it a must-read, but it is without saying a very high quality piece. The original setting combined with the gorgeous art and well written characters justify the score I gave for this section. I also liked the ending, which gave the whole one shot a nice little feeling of completeness which other one shots tend to fail to achieve. All in all, a nice read worth checking out, but nothing extraordinary.