Art - The Art of Attack on Titan | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Art The Art of Attack on Titan

Hectorpops

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
What do you guys think of the manga's art?
I feel some panels are drawn super lazily, while action packed panels are drawn AAA style.

Considering the Author is the artist as well, he has obviously proven he can write a good story, but while his story telling is awesome, it almost seems as the manga is his way of practicing manga art.

As you could probably see there the lines at the top of the page just scream out " I don't feel like drawing his legs"

I don't have anything against Isayama, but I just think maybe some panels could have been drawn better.

epictoads

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not gonna complain because there's no chance I could do better. Maybe some panels could be drawn "better" (Many shots in the Anime are unfinished as well), but it's one guy doing it all day. It's impressive enough that the dude can think every frame up and get it down anyway. Does the occasional strange angle or whatever really effect the series? Personally I quite like the rough style of it.

The artwork has improved a lot over the series anyway, honestly the art in the latest chapters is stunning.
from chapter 1
http://a.mpcdn.net/manga/p/6892/197493/39.jpg
from chapter 50

Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
And just look at Carla in the last chapter. In the first ones she was meh but in this one... It's just that he's not very good at drawing, he is a novice, he'll improve but I don't expect something exceptional either. As epictoads, I don't draw very well myself. But I find the facial expressions and the titans very well drawn.

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
look at Berserk then and then look at Berserk nao....25yrs later
i think the more fleshed out the characters become to him(isayama) the better he sees them in his mind....

to me i like it....it's his style...
like miura/toriyama/miyazaki/etc
you know what they say..."if they aren't taking about it/you...then you must not be doing it right"

Last edited:

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
The art is still evolving. I feel compelled to defend Isayama's artwork because even if he makes a lot of technical mistakes, his style, action scenes, suspense, and emotional direction are all high quality, if not top-notch. I might be more biased for his art because I'm only a few tiers below it, in terms of skill. It makes me feel like I'll be able to finish this comic one day :D

N1kki

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
As a manga artist myself, I feel obligated to defend Isayama here. haha.
I see what you guys are saying, but in Manga, we are all lazy. No matter how talented the artist is, they will never take the time to commit to every single detail of a panel. You're example shows Titan Eren flying to the Armoured titan, covering his legs with some smokey type effect. Yes, those lines could be seen as he was looking to get out of drawing his legs. However, those lines aren't easy to draw either.

No matter what anime you look into, if you are a well experienced mangaka you will be able to see all these tricks that artists do to avoid drawing tedious detail. Some manga's like Death Note have great artwork ( I'm a huge fan of Takeshi Obata) because Obata used many assistants. However, even in Death note you can see these little "shortcuts" manga artists use.
I love Isayama's style. It is like a crossover between anime and marvel comic style. He uses great line work in some of his panels which I know probably took him lot's of hours to do. It's crazy. Yes, he is not an artist first. But he is extremely talented in his own style, and the fact that he wrote and did the artwork for this masterpiece is unimaginable talent!

eton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the art has real integrity. It comes direct, from the same place the story comes, there's no gap, and there's a certain honesty to that.

As for the particular page you point out, I don't think anatomically the legs are in the speedlines in any case--but that's not to say there aren't plenty of anatomy fails in other places.

It's a weird comparison, but it's a bit like people who complain about Bob Dylan's voice ruining his songs. It misses the point. SnK is about the story. The word I'd use for Isayama's art is 'utility'.

Last edited:

Beatrice

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I have no complains, I find the art as very fitting for the story so the quality in itself does not really matter to me.

epictoads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a weird comparison, but it's a bit like people who complain about Bob Dylan's voice ruining his songs. It misses the point. SnK is about the story. The word I'd use for Isayama's art is 'utility'.
I agree, the art is good enough to clearly tell the story. It doesn't really need to be any more than that.

Yumpo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, for a normal anime viewer/manga reader, this kind of art style sucks...really. I mean look at the usual art style for manga/anime out there. XD

But I've read a variety of manga that isn't drawn like the 'usual.' Which means to me, this art style isn't that suck-y at all. In fact, besides the style matching the atmosphere, it leaves room for more varied facial expressions, subtle or not.

Also, it seems like as we get more chapters in, Isayama's art style is really improving. Especially the use of screentones. Just wow.

I'm not gonna complain because there's no chance I could do better. Maybe some panels could be drawn "better" (Many shots in the Anime are unfinished as well), but it's one guy doing it all day. It's impressive enough that the dude can think every frame up and get it down anyway. Does the occasional strange angle or whatever really effect the series? Personally I quite like the rough style of it.
I disagree that it's one guy drawing a chapter for one whole day(or one whole month XD). Mangaka artists usually have an assistant or two to help them out finish a chapter ahead or on schedule. Though assistants usually just do the backgrounds, helping out with screentones and probably sketching too. The mangaka himself, on the other hand, focuses on the story, and drawing the characters and others things unique to his art style instead, unless he has an assistant that could copy his style.

quoux

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What do you guys think of the manga's art?
I feel some panels are drawn super lazily, while action packed panels are drawn AAA style.

Considering the Author is the artist as well, he has obviously proven he can write a good story, but while his story telling is awesome, it almost seems as the manga is his way of practicing manga art.

Spoiler show

As you could probably see there the lines at the top of the page just scream out " I don't feel like drawing his legs"

I don't have anything against Isayama, but I just think maybe some panels could have been drawn better.
Chill out guys. He's saying the same thing y'all are. All he's saying is it looks a little lazy at times and it may not match up to regular mangas. His getting better,but you can't dispute that, really.

epictoads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chill out guys. He's saying the same thing y'all are. All he's saying is it looks a little lazy at times and it may not match up to regular mangas. His getting better,but you can't dispute that, really.
I don't really see how its lazy. The standard/style of the artwork can't say that he doesn't put effort into it (even at the start it's still a lot better than I could do) and the fact that the art has improved so much in the last few years (more so than Naruto or Fairy Tail etc) shows the guy is trying. Sure, compared to One Peice, Berserk etc I can see the art seeming a bit naff but those have been going for decades.

I dunno why there were so unfinished shots in later episodes of the Anime though as well (because that does take away from the series), I guess they ran out of time/$ toward the end.

Beatrice

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
We know.
It's not like he's drawing like this in legit chapters.
http://imgur.com/a/kxBP9#0

Besides, as I said, quality of the art doesn't matter to me.What matters to me is that it fits to the story.

The Sunflower of Anime

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Attack on titan is best Anime and Manga I ever watch and read.
The Art is soo cool and better than ****** mangas and Animes -_-

Isayama did good job, his stayle to draw is simpely amazing. How to draw Titans and charcters at the same time is diffiuclt.
But it's still cool Only Isayama can draw like this.

What I hate in this Art It's some of characters have big noses (like Annie and Hanji...etc.) and some have huge Eyebrows (like Eren and Reiner; I never forget Erwin XD...etc.) but I love their hairs and eyes but the most of characters have similar eyes ( like Eren , Historia, Rod , Frieda and Carla have almost the same eyes)

But the most Fights parts in the manga are almost a mess, you won't know who hits who until it's animeted.

All what I want to say is that characters's disign are almost cool and amazing and the Fights parts too :hearts:hearts:hearts
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Attack on titan is best Anime and Manga I ever watch and read.
The Art is soo cool and better than ****** mangas and Animes -_-

Isayama did good job, his stayle to draw is simpely amazing. How to draw Titans and charcters at the same time is diffiuclt.
But it's still cool Only Isayama can draw like this.

What I hate in this Art It's some of characters have big noses (like Annie and Hanji...etc.) and some have huge Eyebrows (like Eren and Reiner; I never forget Erwin XD...etc.) but I love their hairs and eyes but the most of characters have similar eyes ( like Eren , Historia, Rod , Frieda and Carla have almost the same eyes)

But the most Fights parts in the manga are almost a mess, you won't know who hits who until it's animeted.

All what I want to say is that characters's disign are almost cool and amazing and the Fights parts too :hearts:hearts:hearts