Art - The art of Shingeki no Kyojin | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Art The art of Shingeki no Kyojin

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Discuss about the art of the manga, personally it is a really unique style, and this threads job is to focus on what you like about this unique and eye-thrilling art?

Last edited:

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Art is one of the aspect that bothered me when I started reading SnK. With the passage of time and the progression of plot, I am beginning to actually like it. It goes well with the story. I still wish, Eren was drawn a little differently. Not drawn like out average Shounen hero but its good in a way too.

wintercry

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The art isn't actually pretty, but that certain style of mix ugliness greatly suits the manga.

vampire killer

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
The art is bad.....But the mangaka is 24 years old so i can forgive him. But it`s geting better every time!

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The art is perfect!

When Shingeki no Kyojin was still fresh and nobody knew about it,I saw some panels and was shocked.It looked like the drawing-style of a 13-year old American wannabo otaku,who makes his first steps as an 'artist'.I've seen tons of those awefully drawn faces on deviantart and I was sick of them.Well,that's until Isayama Hajime appeared.He actually uses this crappy style to create a certain atmosphere in his manga.The horror is all the more effective with those simplistic and badly drawn faces.Just look at the Kyojin.There's no way they could be scarier than in this odd style.
As I haven't read the manga in quite a while,I have some trouble writing down all the awesome features of the art,so I'll try to make a better post later on.

Divinenega

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hated the art for this series at first and it's what turned me off the first time I tried to read it. Eventually I decided to give the series another shot and as I went along my opinion of it changed. While I still don't think it's good I can say that it definently matches the tone for the series and captures the horror pretty well.

capricorn

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Have to agree with alot of you guys. I too never liked the style at first but one thing i think you guys forgot to mention is how well this mangaka does his action scenes. Particularly how he uses his lines to mimic motion and intensity. Remember the first time we saw Eren's titan form and how he laid that punch in the other titan's face to the point where his fist literally exploded........think scenes like that

Olm

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gantz was great with details and the look of it, but a lot of times failed to capture the emotion of the moments. The art and effort put into each segment was, indeed, amazing -- but there were times where it felt like it didn't convey what was happening at all.

SNK, on the other hand, has pretty lazy art, but manages to capture so much. In truth, I've really always preferred this.

I don't like to compare two different manga, but they are great opposites.

Netero

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wasn't to fond of the art at first but eventually it grew on me, and I started to really like Isayama's style of art.

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
I wasn't too fond of the artwork at first as well, but eventually got used to it the more chapters I read. What put me off was how they drew young Eren and Mikasa. They practically had adult heads stuck on chibis; they didn't look like children at all....

I still dislike the art, but it definitely suits it. The sketchyness adds more to the super serious tone of the entire manga. That I can appreciate.

ashher

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
I think there is some similarity between the art here and Ares. However the everything of Ares had this sketchy look, but in SnK i think its only the characters who are drawn this way, contrasting with the rather clearly drawn backgrounds and environment. I find it a little disconcerting and not really the best idea drawing wise. Also in the first chapters( i started reading it quite recently and haven't caught up yet) proportions in figure drawing was rather badly messed up. However i think that particular aspect is getting better...at 5th chapter, i don't think i saw such mistake anywhere...which has has vastly contributed in the improvement of the arts. Where i think the mangaka is top notch is in capturing pace. Starting from the very first scene of battle on horses, i think he's been very good at capturing the pace of the action...a major reason why i like the fights so much. The sketchy style actually helps a lot with the depiction of speed imo.

Franckie

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do acknowledge Isayama has a lot of technical problems, especially when it comes to anatomy, but it's the guy's first work and obviously still learning. Some of the more respected artists debuts like Miura (Berserk) were far from impressive when he first starting drawing, so there is room for improvement and the artwork does get better over time.

Personally I actually enjoy Isayama's artstyle. It's a perfect fit to the overall tone of the story as the art is messy, dirty, and downright brutal - a stark contrast to the usual artwork found in other magazines such as the SJ series. The action scenes are also superb with the Spider Man-like acrobatics and the dirty combat we see in fights. Characters also start looking distinctive as the series has progressed.

And then we have the Titans. The Titans are one of the most unnerving, intimidating, and memorable monsters/antagonists I've ever seen from a fictional series. This example scene still creeps me out:

The Titans are genius character designs.

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Now that i've caught upto the latest chapter, the improvement is clear and impressive. Atm the artwork is perfect/near perfect.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Honestly I prefer 10 times this type of art which is personal and strike you immediatly than a supposidly good generic art such as Nisekoi or whatever new similar serie. Shonen art tends so often to be the same everywhere that shingeki is really refreshing on that aspect.

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
^ its alright to be different, but being different is not the same as being better. In earlier chapters the artwork certainly was not good...anatomical proportions all wrong. But now its really good. Specially the shading has improved so much. Earlier the strokes of the pencil around eyes and faces seemed mostly out of place, but now they actually serves the purpose of shading. I think he still needs to improve on facial emotions though...currently that's the only clearly noticable weakpoint in isayama's artwork imo.

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I think that if there's something Isayama should try experimenting with is chibi designs for humor situations, or comedical expressions. As far as I can see Isayama has a good sense of humor and there are some scenes which could've used something like that.

CepheiMordred

Reaction score
Country
United States
Eh...I don't mind the style of art in and of itself.

What I do mind is that sometimes you can't tell who the character is.

For example
When the science chick threatened that scumbag priest, I was like "Heh, he's really pretty for a dude, where did he come from? Oh wait, that's the science chick..."

Buggy

Reaction score
Country
Andorra
Eh...I don't mind the style of art in and of itself.

What I do mind is that sometimes you can't tell who the character is.

For example
When the science chick threatened that scumbag priest, I was like "Heh, he's really pretty for a dude, where did he come from? Oh wait, that's the science chick..."
That's the biggest problem I find with art. Characters are not distinctive enough. Them having exactly same clothes doesn't help either. Although this problem is somewhat alleviated over time when you get to know them. I think titans' art fits them perfectly in portraying them as these mindless lumbering masses of flesh.

Aldrich

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I think Isayama's characters have pretty distinctive faces. You can easily see the difference between Eren, Jean, Armin, Reiner or Irvin. Likewise with Mikasa, Annie or Hitch.

The art's biggest problem is anatomy. Isayama has tons of problems drawing human bodies, especially when his characters are standing still. He can't really draw hands either. At the same time, he has a really unique style, his action scenes are awesome and he's still pretty young and steadily improving. If you look at the first volumes of Berserk, it didn't really look that great, and now Miura is considered as one of the top artists in the industry.

aeruz

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i love the art especially the action, it has good moves, like the titan eren, and rivalle 3d manuever really cool