Character - The Asta Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character The Asta Thread

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
This thread is for Astas character discussion, and theories/predictions you might have for him.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I gotta say, Asta gets shit on this site and others, but I've always thoroughly enjoyed his character. Yes, he's simplistic and cliche, but he has moments that shine. Like, recently, where he just threw his sword at the enemy when he was out of options. I LOVE that. He reminds me of Kenpachi from Bleach in ways, and I always loved him.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Totally agree. I've always looked at him a the underdog protagonist done right. A kid who turns a negative situation into a positive in order to achieve his dreams.

The parallels between him and somebody like Naruto are easy to make but Asta is a better underdog hands down than Naruto was. He's got way more of a disadvantage and none of the weird mopy bromance aspects.

Kadir0

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
There's nothing wrong with Asta as a character for me. what's wrong is how the author makes him interact with the other people.

When a veteran people starts to look up to a brat with no achievement, it makes their characters too unrealistic and also downgrades Asta as a character as well.

In my opinion, that what differed Asta from Naruto, Naruto universe had people with individuality and everything wasn't about Naruto, characters weren't butt-kissing Naruto when he had no achievements at all.

But here just by breathing the same air as Asta, they all start worshiping him.

Again Asta as a character, he's likable, he's a true underdog, but the people around him makes him unlikable for me.

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
See, you don't have to look up to a character for what they've achieved. They look up to Asta because he had absolutely no magical prowess and yet he fights the hardest and never gives up. It's a character trait that's admirable and commands respect. It's not just that, but for the fact that he makes you believe in your own abilities even more so. I can totally see why everyone looks up to him. Hell, I would too.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
There's nothing wrong with Asta as a character for me. what's wrong is how the author makes him interact with the other people.

When a veteran people starts to look up to a brat with no achievement, it makes their characters too unrealistic and also downgrades Asta as a character as well.

In my opinion, that what differed Asta from Naruto, Naruto universe had people with individuality and everything wasn't about Naruto, characters weren't butt-kissing Naruto when he had no achievements at all.

But here just by breathing the same air as Asta, they all start worshiping him.

Again Asta as a character, he's likable, he's a true underdog, but the people around him makes him unlikable for me.
I disagree in the sense that I could totally understand how grizzled veterans might look at a fresh faced kid who endured and succeeded. That totally makes sense to me. The more difficulty they've faced the more they can't help but admire his achievements and strength of character.

Sure, Asta has luck and such working in his favor but all underdog stories have that. That's just part of the unlikely hero package.

Last edited:

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh god, Asta. Nah, it's not actually that bad. My only problem with him is his ability. Absolute Magic Nullification is, in my opinion, a bit too much and hasn't done anything but take the tension out of his fights. The idea behind it is fine, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

The author probably could've played up the demon angle and had it where Asta's sword "eats" magic. It would allow Asta's sword to drain magic and weaken it, but it would also mean that those who have higher reserves of Magic wouldn't be completely useless as soon as the sword touches them.

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I'm sure that's why the author introduced curses. As powerful as anti-magic is, it can't really do anything against curses. Going forward, that'll likely be the go-to weapon of choice.

milek

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
He's getting stronger and stronger at very fast speed.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Oh god, Asta. Nah, it's not actually that bad. My only problem with him is his ability. Absolute Magic Nullification is, in my opinion, a bit too much and hasn't done anything but take the tension out of his fights. The idea behind it is fine, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

The author probably could've played up the demon angle and had it where Asta's sword "eats" magic. It would allow Asta's sword to drain magic and weaken it, but it would also mean that those who have higher reserves of Magic wouldn't be completely useless as soon as the sword touches them.
But surely there have been points where Asta's Anti-Magic hasn't done anything against a powerful opponent. I think that's a bit of an overreaction myself.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
But surely there have been points where Asta's Anti-Magic hasn't done anything against a powerful opponent. I think that's a bit of an overreaction myself.
Don't think I really overreacted much. His ability is all or nothing with no inbetween. It leaves whoever it hits weak and powerless fairly instantly and I'm not much of a fan of it. I like the concept, I just think it does the fights a disservice.

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't think I really overreacted much. His ability is all or nothing with no inbetween. It leaves whoever it hits weak and powerless fairly instantly and I'm not much of a fan of it. I like the concept, I just think it does the fights a disservice.
The Demon Dweller sword he uses doesn't instantly drain his opponents magic when he cuts them it only drains a percentage of it at a time and the only time I remember when it absorbed all of his opponent magic is when it was stabbed in and left there to continue absorbing the opponents magic reserves. The Demon Dweller sword he rarely uses anyway the one he goes to most often its the Demon Slayer sword which can only cut/deflect magic not absorb it.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The Demon Dweller sword he uses doesn't instantly drain his opponents magic when he cuts them it only drains a percentage of it at a time and the only time I remember when it absorbed all of his opponent magic is when it was stabbed in and left there to continue absorbing the opponents magic reserves. The Demon Dweller sword he rarely uses anyway the one he goes to most often its the Demon Slayer sword which can only cut/deflect magic not absorb it.
It shows just how much of a Beef head Aster can be :D
If I were him, I'd be utilizing the Demon Slayer Sword a lot more often than he is currently. Granted, he has had his moments but overall he sticks to his roots, per say.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Always wondered if his "power" is classified as magic or still just nullfying especially when he uses his awakened power.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
I am just wondering whether Asta is really human or an Elf?

Licht's master had the same Grimore as Asta so either he is the Master's son or the Master himself somehow reincarnated.
*Spoilers will be appreciated.

lusheta

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Always wondered if his "power" is classified as magic or still just nullfying especially when he uses his awakened power.
I don't think it's magic. Magic uses Mana and Asta has zero Mana. I think that anti-magic is the opposite energy of the mana, it negates the mana but it's not magic, it's a different power. It's a little bit like matter and antimatter in physics x)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I am just wondering whether Asta is really human or an Elf?

Licht's master had the same Grimore as Asta so either he is the Master's son or the Master himself somehow reincarnated.
*Spoilers will be appreciated.
I would like to think that he is an elf but the witch queen said that he is just a human, he has a defect, he is an error and that's why he can use the anti-magic grimoire. If he was an elf, I think that the Witch Queen would have seen it.

Kerien

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
Well..Withch Queen didnt said that shes 100% shure that he is human.Of course the autor might pull that "human" thing till the end ( this way grimoire was attracted to Asta because at that moment he was the only one who can use it otherwise you need unlimited amount of mana)
Or by any chance Asta is the decedant of elf (or elven lord himself which lost his mana due some events)or demons.
But i guess that there are two ways - He waws born without mana or he was cursed before or after he was born.Also there is a chand that his mana was passed to Yuno)))
about anti-magic - you can comare it to black hole(you can say anti matter)which oposite to energy itself,so its swallows evrything oposite from it.

Black Hawk

Reaction score
Country
Germany
One thing would be interisting, what is if Astas second sword absorb the Power of Yami. Yamis Magic fits perfect to Asta Demon from Ability.
A later double winged Demon Asta, with time slashing magic would be awesome.

mars0103

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Talking about Asta you need to talk about Yuno. I think that the necklace is a seal of some kind and with it broken asta will have two grimiors or merging into the five clover grimore and renews the cover. The importance of the necklace is key to understand these two.
If Asta is going to develop the way I think asta will have an ability to hide magic power mean he can turning it on and off.
On a side note asta can mean star or tree could this give a connection to the elves being on with nature. Yuno can mean reason so I think that these two are a team created to save the kingdom from itself, to change nobles hearts.