Summer - The Baseball Thread | Page 12 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Summer The Baseball Thread

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Besides Clemons, what "potential" HOF pitchers have been connected to steroids? Not your suspicions, but actual public allegations. Shilling has been connected to steroids, but he is a borderline HOF'er at best. I can dig suspecting certain players based on performance spikes, body mass change, etc. Brady Anderson suddenly hitting 50 home runs was suspicious. Barry Bonds massive head was suspicious. ARod turning up on all those Biogenensis documents was suspicious. But this whole "everyone is guilty until proven innocent, but there is no way to prove anyone innocent" dance gets really old. Steroids are a problem, but it has gotten to the point where media and fan suspicion has become Kafka-esque paranoia.

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Pettite used PEDs. Mussina's probably not a HoFer, but he used PEDs, iirc.

I do wonder heavily about Toronto's Bautista.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Besides Clemons, what "potential" HOF pitchers have been connected to steroids? Not your suspicions, but actual public allegations. Shilling has been connected to steroids, but he is a borderline HOF'er at best. I can dig suspecting certain players based on performance spikes, body mass change, etc. Brady Anderson suddenly hitting 50 home runs was suspicious. Barry Bonds massive head was suspicious. ARod turning up on all those Biogenensis documents was suspicious. But this whole "everyone is guilty until proven innocent, but there is no way to prove anyone innocent" dance gets really old. Steroids are a problem, but it has gotten to the point where media and fan suspicion has become Kafka-esque paranoia.
What does HoF consideration have to do with any of this? I'm merely saying that the amount of pitchers suspended for PEDs is disproportionate to what you'd expect. Out of the 30 major leaguers suspended at least once for positive tests, 14 were/are pitchers. It goes against what you'd think PEDs are generally used for, liked I said, power hitting. The numbers are sort of mirrored among minor leaguers with MLB experience - 22 out of 47 are pitchers. People generally look to these guys with inflated power numbers, when in reality, the people throwing the ball to them should be viewed with just as much suspicion.

The paranoia isn't the media's fault, it's MLB's fault. But they can't protect their brand from everything, if people are careful enough, they'll never get caught. Millions of dollars are at stake.

---------- Post added May 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was May 11, 2013 at 05:48 PM ----------

:rofl

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
That balk was bullshit. Should have been an 8 inning shutout. A masterpiece by Strasburg nevertheless.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Nothing feels more satisfying than taking a series from the Phillies. I don't care how mediocre they have become, I still hate them.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Tehran walked Ike Davis. Ike Davis should never be walked. He's currently on a 2-44 streak.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Ike Davis clutch 2 RBI single :o

Gave the Mets a 2 run lead, bottom of the eighth.

---------- Post added May 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was May 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM ----------

An interesting article about Walter Johnson's (bizarre) throwing motion http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/e...-incredible-throwing-motion-of-walter-johnson

---------- Post added June 01, 2013 at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was May 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM ----------

Anthony Rendon was promoted to AAA last night. AAA is not somewhere top prospects are meant to stay for long, unless they are blocked. Top prospects are sent to AAA for polishing, final preparations before recalling them to the majors. Should be interesting to see how much second base (he came up as a third baseman) he plays, there is a good chance they are prepping him to replace Danny Espinosa (.164/.195/.283).

---------- Post added June 26, 2013 at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was June 01, 2013 at 11:31 AM ----------

Tommy John surgery for Dylan Bundy. Good thing he's only 20.

---------- Post added July 22, 2013 at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was June 26, 2013 at 03:29 PM ----------

Heads have started to role, Braun suspended for the rest fo the season. In exchange for the reduced suspension, he has waived his right to appeal.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Kozma :rant

Did this boob really beat us?

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I wonder if Moose will make the Hall of Fame. Seems like a borderline candidate to me. A case could be made for, a case could be made against. If he does, I don't think it will be this year. This is a pretty good ballot. Frank Thomas, Tom Glavine, and Greg Maddux definitely get in this year. I think Biggio gets in this year too. Mike Piazza could make it this year, but I don't think so.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2014.shtml

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I don't know, but he would be in my Hall of Fame if it was by my standards.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
The Yankees are overspending on moderately talented veterans again. Such a nostalgic feeling.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's finally been put out of it's misery. Thank fucking god. Nothing against the Orioles announcers, they are very good, but the split booth got annoying after a while. I want to hear our guys talk about our team.

Only about a month until opening day :pleased

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
OMG CC Sabathia is done. Fastball topping out at 88mph, gave up 6 runs in 2 innings to the Astros.

Yankees vs. Astros is just weird. Still doesn't feel right. If I could get used to Brewers in the NL, I guess I can get used to 'Stros in the AL.

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
OMG CC Sabathia is done. Fastball topping out at 88mph, gave up 6 runs in 2 innings to the Astros.

Yankees vs. Astros is just weird. Still doesn't feel right. If I could get used to Brewers in the NL, I guess I can get used to 'Stros in the AL.
Yeah, I was listening on the way home from class just now. CC's just done.

In terms of the Brewers, I just want them to shrivel up and die, just so that I could see the reaction on Bud Selig's face.

I haven't been paying attention to preseason. Are they doing that whole big conference thing this year, or is it still divisions? I assumed it was still divisions within a league, as I'm sure I would've heard something.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Don Baylor.........WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

Holy shit, someone needs to destroy that tape...

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Don Baylor.........WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

Holy shit, someone needs to destroy that tape...
How the hell does that even happen? Only in baseball.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
My Dad has an artificial hip and it seems like the type of thing that would happen if an implant fails, but he went through surgery and they still maintain it's a broken leg and he got 5 screws in it to boot. It's crazy, never seen anything like it.

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
How does that happen? It just breaks.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Seems like a bone in his thigh, near the hip. It looks almost like a hip dislocation. It was probably compromised already and just a freak thing...

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Your 2014 New York Mets

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Holy fuck...

---------- Post added June 29, 2014 at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was June 11, 2014 at 01:18 AM ----------

Best thing about following the NL is not having to hear about Jeter.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
BELTWAY BASEBALL!