Recipes - The Curry Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Recipes The Curry Thread

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Curry...

Curry is a generic description used throughout European culture to describe a general variety of spiced dishes, best known in South Asian cuisines, especially Indian cuisine. Although there is no one specific attribute that marks a dish as "curry", some distinctive spices used in many curry dishes include turmeric, cumin, coriander, fenugreek, and red pepper.

In most South Indian languages, the word literally means 'side-dish', which can be eaten along with a main dish like rice or bread.
Curry's popularity in recent decades has spread outward from the Indian subcontinent to figure prominently in international cuisine. Consequently, each culture has adopted spices in its indigenous cooking to suit its own unique tastes and cultural sensibilities.

Here we discuss Curry as a whole. What have you used curry for and has it worked or not? etc.

Belisar

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
that's curry.

Last edited:

DLord.Van.Buuren

Reaction score
Country
Japan
indeed thats one type of curry , im seeing actually a different one .

BTW the culture clash section is an awsome idea .

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I love how there are so many variation of curries around the world. I usually eat Japanese style curry at home, and it's one of the few meals I can cook successfully. :P It's usually served with carrots, onions, peas, chicken, and rice.

Okay, now I'm hungry!

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Japanese curry tends to be a bit sweeter, in my view. Generally prefer the indian curry, the spices can just make you cry sometimes, that's what makes indian curry richer. And most of the time, you can't figure what goes into the gravy.:)

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I was actually thinking of doing some curry today but I'm really unsure of what to do.
Either like, Curry stew with lamb or Korma curry with chicken.
Anyone tried making that and got some tips on which one is the simplest?

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Do you cook Curry often, rokh?

Queenofmuffins

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Japanese curry tends to be a bit sweeter, in my view. Generally prefer the indian curry, the spices can just make you cry sometimes, that's what makes indian curry richer. And most of the time, you can't figure what goes into the gravy.:)
See, that's why I love Japanese curry. I'm terrible with spicy foods! Though I also do love a curry with coconut milk in it. :tem

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
can I haz curry?
just had some selfmade chicken curry last saturday and while I'm sure there are some more delicious variations out there with curry-leaves and such, it was good enough to leave me desire for more. Ergo, curry is really addicting (wasn't that a manga title?)!

anyway, we didn't use a curry paste - that's thai I believe? - but curry and some of its ingredients as well as onions, carrots and field-garlic for vegetables and yogurt and crème fraîche instead of coconut milk ^^'

*drools*

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Curry with coconut milk is great indeed :D

I'm really bad with specifics in this field. It's so hard to judge which restaurants/ingredients are still original and which ones are just "westernized". Although some still use original recipes and just reduce the spicyness a little.
I do like the indian curry and thai curry, although I'm not certain if it was the real deal for latter one.

Sharikaaria

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Coconut milk sounds like a good idea! It would be richer - definitely not something you'd eat every day, though.

I noticed East Asian curries tend to be not so spicy and are missing a few key ingredients (probably due to lack of availability). I sensed only turmeric and generic curry powder in them at most. Plus, they sometimes add starch to thicken it, which I don't really like.

More authentic curry would contain garam ("hot") masala, which is a blend of many different spices. Wiki it to learn more. Then you typically add turmeric and red chili powder, at least. Depending on the dish you can add cumin seeds or coriander powder. If you have fresh minced garlic/ginger, even better... Of course, their are thousands of varieties. I happen to only know a few..

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Curry means sauce, and curry spices mean the spices used in curries. For the sake of context it should refer to south Asian spices. Some of these are native to south Asia, whilst others are naturalised in the cuisine such as cayenne pepper. The food can be cooked in the sauce, or the sauce can be prepared separatey.

Some examples of curry spices are cumin, coriander, cardamon, turmeric, ginger, fenugreek, fennel seed, mustard seed, garlic, cayenne etc. Usually whole seeds as opposed to powders are toasted till they pop in a hot pan first.

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

Has anyone else here made curry bread? I made some baked curry bread, I don't often deep fry bread as the Japanese would usually do it.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Indonesian curry is pretty similar to Indian one. I have tried all of three kinds of curry (the other one is Japanese) and I like them :nod