Theory - The Five Elder Stars Are Cursed | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory The Five Elder Stars Are Cursed

VioletVector

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi Mangahelpers,

I want to present the idea that the Five Elder Stars have unique abilities that stem from curses.

Certain problems concerning the Five Elder Stars necessitate that they have undergone such things as the Eternal Youth Operation. Further, there are other problems like explaining how Saturn is able to "regenerate" from taking damage. I think it all depends on how you view it.

If you believe that the Five Elder Stars have lived for an abnormally long time without a good explanation, then you might believe that they had undergone the Eternal Youth Operation. However, forms of magic exist in One Piece that resemble the effects of Devil Fruit abilities. For example, it may be that by making contracts with The Devil, they were able to gain long lifespans or pseudo-immortality. Even Saturn's ability to recover from damage can be explained this way.

It is worth noting that the Eternal Youth Operation simply provides eternal youth. This means a person would not die a natural death. Their body can still presumably be destroyed, though. It's an ageless body, not an indestructible one. What does that mean regarding Saturn? It means it doesn't explain how he recovers from the damage he takes. It has to be something else entirely.

Now, I'm thinking that the Five Elder Stars are more of a threat than people really understand. It's possible that they have unique abilities that they gained by making contracts with The Devil and that these unique abilities are what the real mystery is behind them. They may not have Eternal Youth, but it's possible that they have Pseudo-Eternal Youth with a curse. In addition, curses have large scopes, so it's possible that whatever curse Saturn might have includes the ability to recover from any form of damage for a period of time.

With that said, I think a "curse" theme among the Five Elder Stars would actually be a cool plot development. They could all have different curses with unique abilities. These "curse" themed abilities may explain the pentagram summoning circle that Saturn used and presumably all the other ones use it too.

Note: this theory was created to challenge your thinking. I think us readers can be more creative regarding how we view plot developments. "Inside the box" thinking tells you that the only way the Five Elder Stars can live so long is by having the Eternal Youth Operation. However, "Outside of the box" thinking tells you that there is often more than one way to achieve a similar feat; in this case, it is a curse that creates the effect instead of a Devil Fruit ability.

Final comment: (1) the "Gorosei" need not have the Eternal Youth Operation (2) the "Gorosei" need not be Demons or Devils themselves. All their crazy abilities can be explained if they have curses and gain both common and unique abilities. The pentagram summoning circle may be a common curse ability, but Saturn's ability to recover from damage may be his own unique ability from his own specific curse type. The other members of the Five Elder Stars may have abilities for defense that either negate or block damage as well, but differently.

Last edited:

TitaniumOxide

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It'd be pretty sick if they are "cursed" but for me having such powers is actually a "blessing" because I mean, it's powers lol. Same thing just my own way of seeing it. That said though, I don't think it's going to be something other than Devil Fruits because that is the "magic" that One Piece uses aside from Haki. Plus the devil fruits are said to already be from the devil so it isn't that far from your theory, it is just that their ability will be explained in the way of DFs and not curses per se.

I will admit though that they can be the same thing if later on in the story we find out that all DFs are actually "cursed" by the sea devil.

Vanshrimp

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
funny thing, that Oda introduced the gorosei in their awakened forms with the names of the creatures, but no DF names, as if they were real creatures from the underworld or, they are "vanilla" demons....perhaps they lived for so long, they reach an evolution step no one else managed to reach, become one with the DF inner entity / devil

JonWickk

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
The only thing impressive about the gorousei are their CoC and regen ability. Other than that, they seem to have low AP and defence.