Discussion - The Frozen Dessert Thread! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Frozen Dessert Thread!

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
:drool The Frozen Dessert Thread! :drool

Ice cream, sorbet, gelato and frozen yoghurt all come in a variety of flavours and textures~ Here, you can discuss your favourite flavours, a flavour you can't stand, your favourite type of frozen dessert, cone vs. cup, the best ice cream/sorbet/gelato/frozen yoghurt you have tasted, the weirdest flavour you have tried and anything to do with these frozen desserts that are a favourite to many people around the world!​

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I must say the weirdest icecream I have eaten was a azuki flavor in Japan. It's not so much the taste than the texture. Since it still had some of the bean skin.

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Ahh, yes~ I actually quite like azuki flavour. I think the bean in the ice cream gives it a bit more flavour, and the added texture makes it a bit more special. :XD I normally don't like red bean paste, but I like the ice cream, since it's not too sweet compared to the paste. :p

Hmm... yesterday I tried lychee rose flavoured ice cream from Passionflower! It was quite unique and the flavours went well together. Apart from the flavour, I think the texture made my tongue go weird... :darn I'm quite fond of the Asian flavours such as green tea (yum~ :drool) and black sesame as well! I want to try pumpkin, taro, sticky rice and pandan one day... :o

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States
That sounds yum, icey! <3 Never tried that before, but I do loooove a good green tea ice cream.

My recent frozen treat obsession: Magnum bars. These finally made their way over to the states and I must say that they're pretty damn good. The double caramel and the almond are my favorites. :love

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I love blue raspberry Italian ice. Tastes awesome. :wtf

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
My recent frozen treat obsession: Magnum bars. These finally made their way over to the states and I must say that they're pretty damn good. The double caramel and the almond are my favorites. :love
Aaa, Magnum~ :wtf
Magnum are so delicious, even the classic one (a simple combination of vanilla ice cream + chocolate) is awesome. The size is big and the price is quite expensive, but it has a nice quality. My mom loves almond, I like everyone of them except the cappucino one (the latest one, that is). :D

I also like McDonald's McFlurry ice cream. My most favorite flavors are the caramel and chocolate. For chocolate you're only given a chocolate milk powder with a vanilla ice cream, though, but it's still awesome. >__<

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States
I know, right? It's all about the Belgian chocolate on the outside. :drool I'd love to try the cappuccino flavor, but sadly we don't have it here.

And speaking of McDonalds, right now they're offering a Rolo McFlurry. Anyone tried this yet? I haven't had a chance, but it does sound pretty good. Rolo was one of my favorite candies growing up, but I don't really see them around too much anymore (but of course that could be just because I'm not really looking for them :p)

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
and I thought magnum was an american brand !
Actually I prefer sorbet to cream, although when I was student in Toulouse, I loved the dark chocolate flavour from Octave shop. That's one of the best ice cream I have ever eaten.
As for brand, the frozen desserts from Picard are usually really good and for a reasonable price

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Green tea ice cream. :p

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
and I thought magnum was an american brand !
Hmm, I think so? Where is Walls' HQ anyway? :p But Magnum are using Belgian chocolate indeed. Made it simply perfect. :3
I wonder if you guys have this place called "Magnum Cafe" in your country. There you'll get to choose the topping for your Magnum ice cream. Expensive, true, but the price was worth the pleasure. XD

Green tea ice cream. :p
Oh, right! I tried this before. It tasted kinda weird personally, but it's actually delicious. My mom also likes green beans ice cream. XD

Ush

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've got to say, my favorite frozen desert is an Indian one called Kulfi. My mom made it for me all the time when I was a kid, and recently I've been getting it from some local Indian grocery stores. I love it :)

depending what kind you have though you may not enjoy it.

Zeltrax

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Green tea ice cream :wtf someone who likes it as much as me !
Other than that, I like frozen yoghurt alot too.

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Wooo!! Green tea ice cream is LOOOVE~ :drool

I have recently discovered the wonders of snowy moon cakes!! When you let them melt a bit, the skin is kinda like mochi... and the inside is solid, but then it's powdery when you bite into it. :blink I'm so addicted to these, I've been eating at least one a day! :darn
Has anyone else tried one? :XD

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am ashamed to say that I am very conventional when it comes to ice cream. I usually have the normal flavors, rarely try anything unusual with that.... I tried a dark chocolate one that was pretty good though. I also tried one (suspiro limeno) which I have no idea into what it would translate too. Too sweet for my taste though. Still, 99% of the time I order either chocolate or vanilla. As much as I do think mcdonalds serves the world food among the mainstream fast food restaurants (burger king and wendys are far better:p although perhaps still not quite actually delicious) I admit I LOVE their ice cream to a fault. Sundays, mcflurries... awesome stuff, there one redeemable feature mcdonalds has. Wendy's frosties are pretty close too (although I have only tried the chocolate one). I also remember going to a place where they served ice cream mixed with chocolate bars and things of the sort but I never thought the actual ice cream was good. I guess they tried to cover mediocre ice cream with cookie crumbles and chocolate bar pieces lol.

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Froyo. It's become quite a big thing over here around last couple of years. Now there are froyo places popping up everywhere. :XD I'm quite fond of the traditional fruity flavours such as mango and strawberry. I've tried the more unconventional flavours such as green tea and taro, but frankly I'm not too big of a fan, since the yoghurt part makes it a bit sour and it just doesn't go too well with the green tea or taro, in my opinion. :darn I like how froyo places has a huge variety of toppings as well~ Every time, I would get the fruity pop balls. :drool

danzouismadara

Reaction score
Country
United States
Vanilla or Red Bean Mochi is good. Amaretto Ice cream is great. Creme Brulee Gelato is amazing.

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Ever since I learned how to make my own ice cream, it's nigh impossible for me to buy a pint from the store anymore. My latest creation is a Milk Tea Ice Cream topped with Boba. Basically an ice cream/sherbert take on Bubble Tea. The Tea I used for it was Golden Monkey Red Tea.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm a huge fan of gelato because of its multitude of flavours and its creamy texture. When I was in Venice two summers ago, I ate gelato nearly everyday not only because the city was so damn hot but also because it tasted delicious! :super

SheepyTurtle

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
For people who are lactose intolerant but really want that ice cream goodness, there's a great guide on one ingredient chef.

It relies on bananas, so hopefully you have a taste for those but the recipe itself is customizable to your own tastes.

I've used it often and enjoy it a lot, and find that the fruits I use are often sweet enough that I don't need to add sugar to them.

SheepyTurtle

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone here try to make your own sorbet? It's pretty easy - if you just make a simple syrup solution (2:1 sugar to water ratio) and fill a container with fruit of your choice, you then cover it with the simple syrup and freeze it off. Once frozen, you run it through a shaver/blender/paco jet and it comes out as a sorbet style dessert.

It's super delicious, although, rather sugary, but desserts are the sweetness of life, right? That coffee icecream above this post has me drooling hella bad.