Games - The Game Recommendation Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games The Game Recommendation Thread

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Since there wasn't such a thread before and riki gave me the green light to open it, here we go!
Basically, if you're looking for new games to play and want to get some recommendations, this is the perfect place to do that.
So ask to your heart's content and you can be sure that you will be given answers! :D

Machi-tan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Awesome, i was on the verge of going on some other thread and just asking. I already posed this question before but:

1.) What are some good J-RPGs?
2.) What are some good story driven games?

Obviously alot of J-rpgs are story driven but even if there are games that have really well done stories as their main element (Like mass effect) it'd be nice to get a few recommendations. I just recently replayed through the Bioshock series and found myself loving the narrative style.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Awesome, i was on the verge of going on some other thread and just asking. I already posed this question before but:

1.) What are some good J-RPGs?
2.) What are some good story driven games?

Obviously alot of J-rpgs are story driven but even if there are games that have really well done stories as their main element (Like mass effect) it'd be nice to get a few recommendations. I just recently replayed through the Bioshock series and found myself loving the narrative style.
I like Persona series, if you haven't played Persona 3 or 4 I'd recommend you to play each one of them before Persona 5 comes out next year. Maybe I am going to recommend Bravery Default too, in case you have 3DS. I am pretty sure there are recent JRPG games in 3DS which are superior compared to BD, but I haven't been following games on 3DS for months now..

If you like Mass Effect, I assume you have played Dragon Age? but in case you haven't Dragon Age is a good series which is pretty similar to ME since they're made by the same studio. The second series was kinda meh from both gameplay and story POV, but the third game was good. The first one is always going to be my personal favorite -- too bad maybe you might find the graphic is outdated though the story in my opinion is totally awesome.

Have you tried the Witcher? I think the series gets progressively better, first one was horrendous and clunky, second was fine, but the last game is really great, IMHO. It's fun, has a lot of content but the downside is I assume some people going to say that the combat mechanics aren't fluid enough for an action-RPG.

Machi-tan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Outdated graphics isn't a thang. I love games of all sizes and pixel shapes. As long as the core gameplay is passable and the story is great. I've heard great things about Persona, but when i looked it up i got scared off (Lol). It happens whenever i want to join a lore rich universe with a great story, but it has like 10 different jump in points and theories that span back farther than the eye can see. Maybe i'm being a noob and the stories aren't that strongly interconnected, but what is your take on it?

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Outdated graphics isn't a thang. I love games of all sizes and pixel shapes. As long as the core gameplay is passable and the story is great. I've heard great things about Persona, but when i looked it up i got scared off (Lol). It happens whenever i want to join a lore rich universe with a great story, but it has like 10 different jump in points and theories that span back farther than the eye can see. Maybe i'm being a noob and the stories aren't that strongly interconnected, but what is your take on it?
I am unsure and unaware about how sophisticated the stories actually are in Persona series, to be honest. Judging from my personal experience, I'd say the story isn't complex and pretty straightforward with a nice mix of darkness and humor. I assume there are some mysteries and undertones that are more apparent to the die-hard fans of Persona or people who are more observant than I am, but personally I never felt that Persona series' stories are unnervingly confusing.. I'd say just go play them and see for yourself.

Machi-tan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Solid, i definitely will. I'll just steal my younger sibling's 3DS to get the job done. And while i can keep pestering you, do you know any good JRPGs on steam or the like? I usually have to work through my computer so it'd be nice to have something i can have open while grinding through homework.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Solid, i definitely will. I'll just steal my younger sibling's 3DS to get the job done. And while i can keep pestering you, do you know any good JRPGs on steam or the like? I usually have to work through my computer so it'd be nice to have something i can have open while grinding through homework.
There aren't many JRPGs on Steam, AFAIK. There are classic stuff like Final Fantasy series, but I don't know if there is any other JRPG worth mentioning. I don't know if it's an RPG, but people have been praising Valkyria Chronicles as one of the best Japan-made games on Steam, but I couldn't give you my personal opinion on it since I haven't played it yet.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
As with all games, it ultimately depends on your taste. But I can definitely recommend Valkyria Chronicles if you're into that kind of gameplay. I played the PS3 version, but also bought the Steam version. The system is pretty solid on the whole, the atmosphere is superb, and I like the story, too. The Japanese voice acting is also half the reason I play this game (not sure about English voice, but I think that is also available through the menu in the Steam version.) It is beautifully ported to the PC, which is said to be part of the SEGA porting tradition.

Kamui

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I like Persona series, if you haven't played Persona 3 or 4 I'd recommend you to play each one of them before Persona 5 comes out next year. Maybe I am going to recommend Bravery Default too, in case you have 3DS. I am pretty sure there are recent JRPG games in 3DS which are superior compared to BD, but I haven't been following games on 3DS for months now..
This game looks interesting, do any of the previous Persona games share any correlation with the fifth game? I was planning to get Persona 5 without playing any of the previous games, but I suppose I'll play the previous ones beforehand.

Or at least watch walkthroughs of them.:3c

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
This game looks interesting, do any of the previous Persona games share any correlation with the fifth game? I was planning to get Persona 5 without playing any of the previous games, but I suppose I'll play the previous ones beforehand.

Or at least watch walkthroughs of them.:3c
I don't think so.. Well there are two or three recurring characters, but I think Persona 3 and 4 don't have many things in common story-wise so I guess Persona 5 would be different from 3 & 4 too. If we're talking about gameplay, I think there are differences here and there but nothing is drastically changed.

At least try Persona 4 (or Persona 4 Golden if you have a Vita), the game is marvelous, in my opinion.

Kamui

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think so.. Well there are two or three recurring characters, but I think Persona 3 and 4 don't have many things in common story-wise so I guess Persona 5 would be different from 3 & 4 too. If we're talking about gameplay, I think there are differences here and there but nothing is drastically changed.

At least try Persona 4 (or Persona 4 Golden if you have a Vita), the game is marvelous, in my opinion.
Persona 4 Golden look more interesting than the Arena games IMO. So I suppose I'll try that one, judging from the trailer for P5, it seems to be a pretty solid rpg with unique graphics, I'm definitely intrigued, I guess I'll just have to give P4 a whirl and see how it plays.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Persona 4 Golden look more interesting than the Arena games IMO. So I suppose I'll try that one, judging from the trailer for P5, it seems to be a pretty solid rpg with unique graphics, I'm definitely intrigued, I guess I'll just have to give P4 a whirl and see how it plays.
Well those are different type of games: one is a fighting game and the other is an RPG. So based on that fact alone, I don't think those two games are exactly comparable. Golden is an improvement over P4 in PS2, with an addition of one new character (whom I really like) and a new subplot. I am not sure about the graphical improvements, though.

Freya

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I was wandering in Video Games section and hoping to find Persona thread but no luck. Then I came here to see conversation about persona.
Yes, I also recommend Persona 3 to 5. Persona 5 has been released last September and the hype is so high. I am currently suffering because while I have to wait until next year for the US release, the spoilers are spreading like a virus XD

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Being such a gramps (not) I'd have to suggest the best classic platformer games out there
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro the Dragon
Ratchet and Clank

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wandering in Video Games section and hoping to find Persona thread but no luck. Then I came here to see conversation about persona.
Yes, I also recommend Persona 3 to 5. Persona 5 has been released last September and the hype is so high. I am currently suffering because while I have to wait until next year for the US release, the spoilers are spreading like a virus XD
We usually discuss Persona series in the RPG thread. ^^

Have anyone tried Tokyo Mirage #FE (the Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem crossover game)? It's really good and I highly recommend it. :thumbs

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
@Zasz Since you love fantasy genre, can you recommend any good fantasy games with a good core gameplay and story on PS4? Aside from TW3 (already have it)

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
@Zasz Since you love fantasy genre, can you recommend any good fantasy games with a good core gameplay and story on PS4? Aside from TW3 (already have it)
Well, Final Fantasy is a beautiful game series.
It is worthy of being played over and over again, especially the latest game, which is Final Fantasy XV.
Also the "Tales Of" series can be an unforgettable experience and I'm pretty sure the latest entry has been ported to the PS4.
Other than these two, I can recommend you Dark Souls II and III. :D

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
Well, Final Fantasy is a beautiful game series.
It is worthy of being played over and over again, especially the latest game, which is Final Fantasy XV.
Also the "Tales Of" series can be an unforgettable experience and I'm pretty sure the latest entry has been ported to the PS4.
Other than these two, I can recommend you Dark Souls II and III. :D
All right, I'll try them out! Thanks senpai

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'd reccomend Mafia 3 to anybody who likes either Open World Third Person Shooters, GTA, or the sixties. While far from perfect, this game is Hangar 13's first title and the overall vibe and flow of the game really appeals to the gamer. Seriously. Taking part in classic Mafia Mob hit and runs or shootouts is seriously cool.