Discussion - The Grand "Comic Book Movie Adaptions Thread"! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Grand "Comic Book Movie Adaptions Thread"!

Hermie

vs. The World.
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Norway
Awright, here's where you can discuss any and all movie adaptions of American Comics. ^_^ Which Superman film did YOU prefer? Spidey 1 or Spidey 2? Which movie is the next to come out? Does it have a trailer? Just how gay was Batman in "Batman & Robin"?

...Aaand to kick things off, here's the brand new Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer official teaser trailer!

Or maybe you'd fancy that Spider-Man 3 trailer? (of course you would, it has like, 7 baddies!)

Go forth, my children, and discuss!

Lohnt

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
I know everyone probably hated it.. but I loved Spiderman 2 because his mask came off. That was the very first movie I have ever seen of a comic where the storyline advanced past the "introduction" chapters, into actual story.

This is why I have, and will continue to hate Superman films forever. Braniac, Bizarro, doomsday, DARKSEID Do you have any FREAKING idea how much money, acclaim and classic status a movie about Darkseid would gather?
- Aliens invading earth, so no need to worry about who the "good and bad" guys are, we're all earthies
- Start the movie with Darkseids adopted son, i forget his name, the one he traded for his real son (hes ugly and superstrong looks like a troll)
- Superman kicks his ass
- Darkseid comes to take revenge
- If they're smart, they have Darkseid kill someone important in the beginning to piss superman off, or better yet kidnaps his son! (Yes that's my idea and I'm sticking to it, it would have a 200 million box office weekend 100%) make it a movie about superman as a father, and darkseid as a father.
- Two fathers fighting over the honor and love for their sons (BAM right there he female crowds are hooked!)
- We see Lana crying and shit, she has an emotional role solely in this movie, no damsel in distress
- Second half of the movie Superman goes to get his son back and we see the full extent of supermans powers, no more of this bullets bouncing off shit, I want matrix, I want a million lasers and axes bouncing off his body as he rapes darkseids minions
- Superman fights Darkseid for an EPIC GLORIOUS SEX SEX BUTT SECKS 25 minutes of the movie
- Supermans son gets to kick some ass too
- Superman BEATS Darkseid and he tells the people they are free!
- But the people go help him just like in the cartoon, which in my opinion is the best version of superman to date,
- Sympathy for the aliens, turns out they werent really bad guys he was an emperor looking out for his people and his son
- Superman leaves having MATURED realizing not everything is black and white, those ppl didnt consider themselves slaves
- Happy reunion
- Cliffhanger ending, but no one cares because the movie was so TJEDFGHASDGAD kickass everyones pants are white with glee, and their faces are full of nosebleed Screw Yoda flipping around like a monkey god, Superman will rock the system.

And that's why I will never like a superman movie, it will never live up to my dream, because I KNOW they're going to make 2-3 more movies, the last one being with a relatively strong, but stupid lackey villain. And then they'll do another "first movie, vs Lex" introduction movie etc.

I don't understand why people thought X-2 was so great, but I thought X-3 was pretty decent, maybe not as good as X-2 but it was ok.
Batman begins got everything right
Never saw Punisher
Hulk is terrible, but I have false hope for Hulk2 because ABOMINATION (what superman movies SHOULD BE, but aren't. Go Marvel!)
F4 rise of the surfer will kick ass cause of galactus, one was decent, but then again IMO ff comics aren't all that and a bag of chips in the first place, so considering what they had to work with, they pulled it off.

Movie I can't wait for them to make
"Cable and Deadpool" Rated R[br]Posted on: December 26, 2006, 11:38:05 PM_________________________________________________And one more thing, now that I watch the trailer again

Fantastic four movies are the only movies with a legitimate future.. maybe Spiderman and Batman if they don't screw it up (I fear for them)
F4 doesn't bring fans to the theaters as much as X-men or Spidey, or Batman etc, but considering the quality of the movies seems to be going up, and they aren't using wimpy villains in the movies, but instead are taking advantage of their rich story, I think they'll continue to make better and better movies.

F4 is under a microscope no matter how good the previous movie does, again this is because it doesn't necessarily bring in money on fans alone; so I really think (especially if SKrull/Kree movie is next, 2 movies preferably) F4 translates better in the live action, than it does on comics for some reason.

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I like the X movies >.>

I like X2 mostly because of Nightcrawler though, and the introduction of the children in the mansion. That was the best bits. I love looking for minor characters in case it were characters I know. :D Why, the third movie had three triplets in the background! THE CUCKOOOSSSSS <333

Anywho, still hoping for a fourth film, mostly in mere hopes of more characters. XD

I also liked the Spidey films, can't wait for the third, mostly due to Sandman :nuts Didn't like how he was apparently Uncle Ben's killer >.>

Fantastic 4 was laright, I guess. :p I just didn't like the choice of Jessica Alba as Susan. She's a great actress, but that really wasn't the role for her. Like refii said though, compared to the other movies, didn't really get much fans to watch it (me included) in the theatre. Dunno why. I just saw it in the plane. XD

Nyah...hrm. Hulk...me wanna bang bang the tv screen. I don't know, but it looked pretty stupid. >_>;

What I'd like to see:

TEAM UPS! HELL YEAH. >.> Spidey/FF, or X Men/Avengers *coughcough* a bit too much to cast, but still.

Oh, you know what'd be great? A TV series based on Age of Apocalypse. >.>;;; But we're talking about movies. So anywho.

Doctor Strange: A newer adaption please! :D

Avengers: Would be great.

Fables: How I'd pay money for this >.>

What I want to see soon:

Iron Man: >.> Though I'm not fond of the choice of cast, still interests me to see a man in an iron suit! :nuts No matter how much Tony is a bastard right now, even. :p

Death: The High Cost of Living. I read in wiki that there's a movie in the works >.> Would love to see a Gaiman story on screen again.

Spidey 3: Sandman.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
- Start the movie with Darkseids adopted son, i forget his name, the one he traded for his real son (hes ugly and superstrong looks like a troll)
Orion ;)

And yeah, that would be spectacular, Star Wars meets Superman. I remember enjoying the first few Superman vol. 2 issues a lot where Darkseid captured him with his "Omega Beam" and brought him to Apokolips. However, I think a New Gods or Mister Miracle movie is more likely than a Superman meets New Gods movie, unfortunately...

But I wouldn't mind seeing Superman tear it up with Doomsday in a future film sometimes (though they already sort of took from that storyline a bit with Superman's "death scene" in Superman Returns...)

I'm looking forward to Spider-Man 3, and Ghost Rider as well. I'm not sure about Fantastic Four 2 yet - didn't like how they changed Dr. Doom in the first film - but the Silver Surfer makes me curious. It'll be the first "superhero crossover" film this decade. Makes sense though, as Galactus was definitely one of the FF's biggest landmark villains, so it's a good move on their part.

I still like the X-Men franchise, but I wish X3 had been directed by Bryan Singer though. He was doing good stuff with that franchise. I think they goofed up by cramming too much into just one film, Phoenix, Magneto, the Brotherhood, the anti-mutant virus, etc. They could've made two movies out of all that and it probably would have been two times better.

The only comic book adapation I've truly hated this decade was Hulk, though.

EDIT: Oh yes, and MUCH LOVE to Batman Begins. I can't wait for the next movie.

Hermie

vs. The World.
Reaction score
Country
Norway
The Ghost Rider trailer looks horrible. <.<

(When will Nicolas Cage realize he seems more like a weary uncle than a stone-tough action hero?)

As for Cable/Deadpool, I'd think it'd be better with just Deadpool. :p Not only does the character work better on it's own, including Cable in any film would mean providing tons and tons of backstory and explaining. Deadpool, on the other hand, has a nice, non-epic story, and the series rely more on his character development (=more movie friendly). Also, he's hilarious and kick-ass. XD

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ah true. XD Deadpool would be love.

>.> Maybe an Exiles. I'd be interested even if it was just a direct-to-DVD/TV movie. I just want to see Mimic on the screen. :D

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Well, so far my favourite comic book movie would be Sin City. They practically film the book! Even Rodriguez and Frank Miller use the book for the storyboard. The cast is just right (except for Josh Hartnett, he looks to nice in there). Bruce Willis and Mickey Rourke kicks major ass! Even Elijah Wood is scary. Plus, Jessica Alba :wtf That lucky bastard Hartigan... :yelling

My second comic book movie for 2006 is Batman Begins. They got everything right (sort of) and the reference to some of the famous Batman stories like Long Haloween, Dark Victory and Year One. The Tumbler looks great and Bruce Wayne is the best person to play Christian Bale on screen. But, i wouldnt mind a remake without Katie Holmes-Cruise in it.

Another Batman movie i love is Batman and Batman Returns, for a pretty bias reason... Tim Burton made it. :D
But of course, along came Joel Schumacher and there goes the neighborhood.

Fantastic Four by my standard is a crappy movie. Though Jessica Alba looks hotter than Johnny Storm, she could use some improvement on her dialogue. I hope FF2 will kick ass!

I'm hoping that next year will give us some awesome comics movie though some crappy ones might be there too. *cough*Ghost Rider*cough*

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The Tumbler looks great and Bruce Wayne is the best person to play Christian Bale on screen
Don't you mean the other way around? o.O

But yesh. Bale is hot. He was once casted toplay Lupin in Harry Potter, but they chose that goofy idiot instead. :crying

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Dragonzair said:
Don't you mean the other way around? o.O

But yesh. Bale is hot. He was once casted toplay Lupin in Harry Potter, but they chose that goofy idiot instead. :crying
I know that. I just said it cause for me he's the best Bruce Wayne so far. And after seeing him in American Psycho and The Machinist, I was pretty sure he wont let the fans down like a certain actor before him...
He was suppose to be Lupin? Whoa! That woulda been awesome. First he's a wolf, then he's a bat. Kinda like Sir Ian McKellen. He's Gandalf and Magneto. No wonder he was late coming to Helm's Deep. He was busy fighting the X-Men :D

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Yea a Deadpool movie would be fantastic even without Cable, I just said C/D because that way they wouldn't need to start a new comic series around Deadpool solo. Also for some reason; I believe Deadpool would work better as a show... then again look how "The Tick" turned out :/ (And I wouldn't want them to Smallville'ize Deadpool)

Ghost Rider doesn't look terrible, again let's remember it isn't a franchise that brings fans to the theaters on name alone.
And unfortunately, I recently found out Galactus won't be the villain for FF4 until movie 3, which means Surfer is the only villain.. and I'm kind of dissapointed in that. Not to say he isn't a cool villain, but he... isn't that cool.

And let's also not forget... the Avengers movie is coming.. How that will turn out.... ehhhhhhh depends on two things:
A - What team they choose to use
B - Who the villain is (IE: if Hulk is the "main Villain," even though he's technically not "evil" please don't bother -_-)
C - If they respect the previous movies of the team, IE Iron Man's movie is going to happen before the Avengers movie, if they're smart they'll try to use the same actor and acknowledge the existence of that film's story. Or if they're really smart, they'll use the "Marvel Adventure" team and have Spidey and Wolverine in there and acknowledge X-men and Spidey movies.. although I wouldn't mind seeing a non-Tobey Spidey and non-Hugh Logan[br]Posted on: December 27, 2006, 05:15:50 PM_________________________________________________Hmm.. that was 3 things heheh

Hermie

vs. The World.
Reaction score
Country
Norway
Why would they need a new Deadpool series? O.o He had his own series for 69 issues, plus 2 mini-series before that (And then there's Agent X, the annuals (Widdle Wade, anyone?), and of course, all his guest appearances in X-Force/New Mutants/Wolverine/etc..).

And I wasn't talking about how GR looked compared to the comic book, I meant it looked like a cheesy B-action flick with cruddy effects. :p

And a non-Hugh Jackman Wolverine? Not doable. Hugh IS Wolverine. :yelling

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
And let's also not forget... the Avengers movie is coming.. How that will turn out.... ehhhhhhh depends on two things:
I thought that was just an animated movie? Not a live-action one>! :spaz So there is?! :spaz I only heard of Iron Man (I honestly wished they had used Johnny Depp...would've been funny to humour the characters from The Ultimates).

Hermie said:
And a non-Hugh Jackman Wolverine? Not doable. Hugh IS Wolverine. :yelling
Quoted for truth XD He'd done such an awesome job on Wolvy. Spot-on, even if he was like, 9 inches taller. XD The problem was Sotrmy. Halle Berry didn't have the aura to play her D:

But I agree with you on the no-Toby-Spidey. :D

Hermie

vs. The World.
Reaction score
Country
Norway
So far, all I've heard about the Avengers movie is that they've hired a writer (Zak Penn) to do a screen-play... That doesn't make anything certain, yet.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hermie said:
And I wasn't talking about how GR looked compared to the comic book, I meant it looked like a cheesy B-action flick with cruddy effects. :p
It's hard to do a Ghost Rider movie without making it look B-action. It's a flaming skeleton wearing leather and riding a motorcycle and screaming 'Vengeance!' for crying out loud.

I'm still looking forward to it. I've been a Ghost Rider fan for a very long time. And I'm not a Nicholas Cage hater either, he happens to be in some of my favorite movies (The Rock, Con Air, and Moonstruck.) Though I'm not a big fan of Raising Arizona, but my parents are. I can see him being a Ghost Rider just fine *shrugs* - though I probably wouldn't have said the same if he had been anybody else.

And after seeing Constantine and how great it turned out to be (with Keanu Reeves, which I totally didn't expect), I'm not going to count Ghost Rider out until I see it.

As for the Avengers movie, I do hope they manage to make it so that Captain America and Iron Man are all owned by the same movie company so that they can make a reasonable Avengers movie as well (perhaps with Goliath, Wasp, Marvel Girl, and Thor to round out the cast.)

juUnior

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Ok, so i will write what i like about films which were made and opinions on films which will be in the future in cinema xD

First I will start with legendary Superman titles. I really liked nr 1 and 2, they were the best, 3 and 4 i didn;t enjoyed very much, but it was Superman title, so all in all it was fun to see. And nwe one, Superman Returns, I think that it was very good title, really big good come back to all fasioned Superman, which i think was one of the best movies on Superman ever ^^

Batman - it was superb glorious, dark version when it was directed by Tim Burton. I really liked that two film Batman and Batman Returns, it was what a true fan of Batman would expect. Later on when it was realsed Batman Forever it was queite simpler, but on the other hand it was having somewhat climac of the previous two titles. But Batman and Robin, that was crap, and I really mean crap. It was film only based on super special effects probably, and the whole story was fast to introducing batgirl.. I dont like it. And new Batman Begins, one great film by Nolan, i didn;t expect to be soooo good. It's one of my faviourites with begining of the batman, and i hope, the second would be also goodie (Joker! xD) xD

Spider-man - this is title which I enjoyed from the first to the last second watching it, the first and the second. I'm really big fan of Spidey, so I was hoping to be able to see whole Spidey life, but didn;t expect to be so good in film xD I really enjoyed the first one, the second was for me better than first one, and I'm hoping that third one will be having the story like first and second which will be interesting from beginign to the end, and probably what you probably know it will be topic about vengeance xD Black suit rocks, cant wait to see symbiote in action.

That's probably all, I don't do much saw comic films ..

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
juUnior said:
Batman - it was superb glorious, dark version when it was directed by Tim Burton. I really liked that two film Batman and Batman Returns, it was what a true fan of Batman would expect.
FTW!!!! :thumbs

juUnior said:
And new Batman Begins, one great film by Nolan, i didn;t expect to be soooo good. It's one of my faviourites with begining of the batman, and i hope, the second would be also goodie (Joker! xD) xD
Yup, I hope Heath Ledger will be a great Joker.

juUnior said:
That's probably all, I don't do much saw comic films ..
You should. It's not only about superheroes. There are movies that was based on graphic novels (smart word for comics) like Road to Perdition (Tom Hanks, Paul Newman), A History of Violence (Vigo Mortensen), and of course Sin City (Jessica Alba and all those nameless actors and actresses).

There will be other great comics movie in 2007 too, like Sin City 2 (also starring my personal goddess, Jessica Alba) and 300 (also from Frank Miller's story about the battle of Thermopylae). :D

juUnior

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Poland
ichimaru_gin_n_tonic said:
Yup, I hope Heath Ledger will be a great Joker.
Yeah, I'm also hoping for that, especially that his work in new films with him was in good critics (or so I read somewhere xD).

ichimaru_gin_n_tonic said:
You should. It's not only about superheroes. There are movies that was based on graphic novels (smart word for comics) like Road to Perdition (Tom Hanks, Paul Newman), A History of Violence (Vigo Mortensen), and of course Sin City (Jessica Alba and all those nameless actors and actresses).
hehe maybe I will, Sin City i will see for sure, because I was planning that :P

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Don't forget V for Vendetta, ichi. That movie was probably the best comic book adaptation I've seen in years.

As for my own favorites, Superman (the first movie) still ranks as the top film. It's one of these classics that just keep you entertained even if you've watched it 100 times. The special edition DVD with all the extra scenes didn't hurt either (I own that).

Batman Begins would have to be my second fav right now. Nothing against Tim Burton, but his movies were more about the villains than Batman. Batman Begins finally got it right. I don't think they'll ever have to do the "origin story" again - thank God.

Spider-Man (the first movie) would have to be number three. I liked it so much (despite hating Green Goblin's costume) that it actually persuaded me to go back to reading American Comics after I had given it up in high school (after the Clone Saga). Also, watching Spider-Man also led me to looking for reviews on it on the internet which eventually led me to a forum that I joined - the very first forum I ever joined on the internet. If not for Spider-Man, who knows, I may not be your friendly neighborhood admin here at MH right now!

That about sums up my top three right now. The only comic book movie I've actually disliked to this point was The Hulk though... which was just horrible. My parents hated it too, so I know it's not just me.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
History of Violence - Kicks ass, literally and figuratively
Sin City - Awesome
Road to Perdition - this was a graphic novel??? Wow..
300 - I honestly believe will surpass Sin City

Was the desperado also a graphic novel, or just a really cool trilogy?

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
refii said:
History of Violence - Kicks ass, literally and figuratively
Sin City - Awesome
Road to Perdition - this was a graphic novel??? Wow..
300 - I honestly believe will surpass Sin City

Was the desperado also a graphic novel, or just a really cool trilogy?
Both Sin City and 300 is written by Frank Miller. And he always write the great stuff.
Desperado did not come from a graphic novel, it's just a cool trilogy :D[br]Posted on: January 10, 2007, 03:40:18 AM_________________________________________________EDIT: And V for Vendetta is just great. How on earth did i forget that. They basically moved the book to the screen.