Discussion - The grilled cheese sandwhich thread! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The grilled cheese sandwhich thread!

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Epic thread if I may say so myself lol. The point is simple, discuss grilled cheese sandwiches lol. How do you make it? What do you put in it? What kind of cheese? What kind of bread? Do you use a grilled cheese sandwich toaster/maker ? Do you prefer the one that cuts it into triangles or the one that flattens it? Or perhaps panini style? Or maybe just make one with a pan?

Just now I made a grilled cheese sandwich with swiss and cheedar swiss and cooked it with a pan. It was awesome and it gave me the idea of starting a thread here. The more remarkable part about grilled cheese sandwich is that is spite of being something extremely simple there is plenty to discuss about it lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Actually I don't think I ever ate that kind of sandwich. I think the closest thing would be the croque-monsieurs my mum makes since they have no bechamele

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, that is pretty much a grilled cheese sandwhich (at least from what wikipedia says a croque-monsieur is) except with ham (which would not be a significant deviation from the point of the thread).

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
This is how I make mine. :cookiehand

Reactions: Nii

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
^I did not enjoy watching that lol (it was amusing but I did not enjoy it :p). I take it just toast with butter for you lol?

Naomi

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Naw, I usually make a really mean grilled cheese. :3c

I cook it in a pan like normal. But do they really have grilled cheese makers? I've never even seen one of those! The technology these days is just so amazing. XD

I use pepperjack cheese a lot because it's soooo good~. Then again, I pretty much love all sorts of cheese. I also like to put spinach, tomatoes, pickles, and onions on it. That makes it so much better I think. ESPECIALLY tomatoes and pickles. <3

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I think if you buy a waffle iron, they have usually another mold to make cheese sandwich. no big technology here :-)

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I want one now. All I have is packets of ham (well chicken mixed pork) in meh firdge. This title is making me crave a good old cheese sammich.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, yeah there are plenty of grilled cheese makers out there. The ones that flatten the sandwhich (probably the best ones too IMO), the ones that make it into triagles (I live the burnt cheese between both triangles), there are the panini makers too.... There are quite literally too many options as far as that goes lol. I have seen the waffle iron you mentioned however it is not a different mold, they just make it so that if you turn the molds upside down you can make grilled cheese.

Naomi

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
It's decided. I'm asking for a grilled cheese maker for Christmas.

Also, I forgot to mention in my post.

The sandwich MUST be cut into rectangles. None of the triangle business for me.

Also, I don't know if you guys have Sonic Drive-Ins where you live, but they have frickin good grilled cheese. I don't know why they're so good. They just are!

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Now I want grilled cheese but don't have the supplies together :p

I make mine with shredded Gruyere and ham on challah, a type of Jewish bread. Gruyere has a nice, hearty flavor to it that goes well with the ham. Challah is very cake like, light, and almost sweet. I cook it in a frying pan, after buttering both sides. The challah picks up a really nice flavor.

Sonics has no presence in the northeast, unfortunately. They advertise heavily here, for some reason, but have very few restaurants.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
This is how I have been making mine recently:

A slice of Swiss cheese and a slice cheddar cheese. Sometimes I use just Swiss cheese though.

I butter up two slices of bread and put one on the frying pan with the butter side down. I add the two slices of cheese and then cover them with the other slice of bread with the butter on the upper side. I cover the pan and wait for the cheese inside to start melting and flip it. I then wait a bit and flip it again and again until both sides of the sandwich have the color I want them too.