The HipHop Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The HipHop Thread

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Hip Hop/Rap fans here?

Where is the rugged man coming out from? and how would you describe his style of rap?

iThePirate

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
British Antarctic Territory

九尾写輪眼 said:
lol no. wat kinds of songs does he sing?
Dosen't sing, Rap ;P
NeoShweaty said:
Where is the rugged man coming out from? and how would you describe his style of rap?
He's From NY, raps as so many others 'bout his life, it's just that his life is a hell of a lot more interesting then let's say Eminem.
Underground rap at it's best.
Not a gangsta but a homeless bum whoms family suffered alot 'cause of Agent orange.
Die Rugged Man, Die! is his debut album which I highly recommend.

cherryenchanted

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I'm just only a 50% fan of Hip Hop/Rap, since I just do listen rarely those kind of music..I do listen to the music of Eminem & Snopp Dogg, just wandering if Pharell could be considered in the Hip Hop/Rap genre?!?!?!

kadodo

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Haiti

Yes, I do like to listen to rap and hip-hop. My favorite rapper would have to be between Jay z and Nelly. I also like the recent dirty south raps.

iThePirate

Reaction score
Country

I'm just only a 50% fan of Hip Hop/Rap, since I just do listen rarely those kind of music..I do listen to the music of Eminem & Snopp Dogg, just wandering if Pharell could be considered in the Hip Hop/Rap genre?!?!?!
Pharrel would be considered hiphop at the very least.

Yes, I do like to listen to rap and hip-hop. My favorite rapper would have to be between Jay z and Nelly. I also like the recent dirty south raps.
Jay-Z is alright, well the older stuff anyways, before Beyonce. Nelly is just whack according to me. Try Apathy.

yoniekai

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

hey im trying out all the artists you've mentioned i havent heard of it yet :D... im raised in a rock environment, since birth i've been influenced by rock from almost everyone (parents, cousins, headbangers, satanist friends :sweat) ... hiphop is out of my league but im open to all genres and i really like hiphop ever since i've heard some local rappers, back in 2nd grade i think... the best rappers i've heard: the old eminem, dre, snoop dogg, old jay-z... BEP is really funky, and my favorite hiphop act is outkast, they kinda fall on alternative tho but still hiphop to me... outkast is one of my favorite artists, really talented guys... also public enemy really appeals to me, and the beastie boys are just awesome :amuse

iThePirate

Reaction score
Country

Well I'm born in the blues/rock enviroment but thats heritage my own taste is Rap.

But since you like rock you should try The Circle of Tyrants, Jedi Mind Tricks, Necro and Ill Bill.

TCoT is made of Ill Bill n' Necro who are brothers and were in a metal band called "Injustice" before they started rappin' so they have alot of heavy guitars in their beats.

Vinne Paz of JMT is influenced by the likes of Slayer (lyricswise) and claims to be a Heavy Metal King.

Serioulsy, try it, especially Circle of Tyrants.

Uchiha Slayer

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Nelly hasnt come out with a hot track in years...If you like the dirty south raps now. Get some of the new rappers old stuff. Ex. Three Six Mafia, Outkast, TI, stuff like that...Also get DJ Drama mix tapes, those have the best underground hits that nobody knows about.

yoniekai

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Well I'm born in the blues/rock enviroment but thats heritage my own taste is Rap.

But since you like rock you should try The Circle of Tyrants, Jedi Mind Tricks, Necro and Ill Bill.

TCoT is made of Ill Bill n' Necro who are brothers and were in a metal band called "Injustice" before they started rappin' so they have alot of heavy guitars in their beats.

Vinne Paz of JMT is influenced by the likes of Slayer (lyricswise) and claims to be a Heavy Metal King.

Serioulsy, try it, especially Circle of Tyrants.
slayer was one of those bands that really influenced our personalities :XD, im trying out that TCoT, sounds great... i checked out jedi mind tricks article and im amazed at how successful this duo has been, i really have to check this out :thumbs

iThePirate

Reaction score
Country

sweet, lemme know what'cha think, TCoT only have released one album as far as I know though.

GrayFoxx

Reaction score
Country
Poland

I mostly listen to Dr.Dre or Snoop Dogg but X-Zibit is also nice, Eminem, 50 Cent. I'm form Poland so i mostly listen to Polish Hip-Hop though.

Have someone heard about "Mafia K-1 Fry" ?? They're French, hmm... Group, Band ?? I don't know how to call it in English.

miyi

Reaction score
Country
United States

I used to listen to a lot of hip hop, when I was a teenager. I got turned off by it, because there's lack of originality and the lyrics content is getting old and hackneyed, i.e. themes such as money, sex, booze, violence, etc..

I know I might sound ignorant for saying that, but it's true. I don't mind hearing it, it doesn't offend me or anything, but damn that's all they rap about.

But don't get me wrong, out of the 90 percent of crappy rappers out there, there's always 10 percent that are really good and talented, some that we haven't even heard about. Example: Lupe Fiasco.

ok, that said, I'm a big fan of these artists:

Tupac, Wu Tang, Bone Thugz, Notorius BIG, Dre, Snoop, Ice Cube, Outkast, Kanye West, Eminem, etc. you get the idea (this list is in NO PARTICULAR ORDER).

I like their old stuff, but as soon as they start doing a third album, i.e. Eminem, their music starts going downhill. The only consistent rapper that kept/maintained the high quality in their music, out of the above I mentioned, are Tupac, Biggie, Dre, and Outkast. They keep improving and changing it up, unlike Eminem or Snoop, who raps about the same old thing.

Yeah, and you might think I contradicted myself, since these rappers rap about: money, sex, booze, violence. But the above artists mentioned, are different. They were the pioneers of such things, and they didn't overdo it. Plus, they rapped about other themes, for example:

Tupac - the struggles of growing up poor, African American, in a gang dominated society, loss of a friend, etc.

Bone Thugz - songs dedicated to Marijuana

Nowadays, all I see are rappers with gold/platinum chains riding in limos with groupies rapping about their rough childhood......c'mon now, that's so fake and unrealistic.

Last edited:

iThePirate

Reaction score
Country

Dre ain't shit as a rapper, when he actually can write an album by himself I'll acknowledge his lyrical skills but on like the "2001" album he had guests n' ghostwriters to such a degree that from my point of view it ain't even a Dre album. Awesome producer though, great beats. :D

Tupac was good, Biggie is better. :XD

Snoop was good during the golden era, when he teamed up with Pharrel n' made "Drop it like it's hot" he deserved a bullet in the head GO SUGE

Anyways you don't listen alot to underground do ya? Sure they have violence BUT sometimes there is a meaning to it aswell. Listen to Immortal Technique - Dance With The Devil or Peruvian Cocaine.

miyi

Reaction score
Country
United States

Yeah you're right, I was talking mostly about the mainstream Hip Hop. I haven't had the chance to explore the underground Hip Hop lately, like I said, I turned away from Hip Hop in general, for a while now. I'll try to check out those artists that you mentioned, thanks for the suggestions. :)

Right now I'm a big fan of Lupe Fiasco, man this kid can rhyme!

However, I'm not sure if he's considered "mainstream".

iThePirate

Reaction score
Country

Lupe is a grey area, not exactly my style but he ain't bad, ain't bad at all...

krazykone12

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

It's all about Soulja Boy these days

iThePirate

Reaction score
Country

never heard of Soulja Boys, lookin forward to the new AOTP album thats bein released on the 25th though and SOB's mix tape Razor Tag is great its free too. :D

Zwivix

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Mexico

Lol Soulja Boy he's a one hit wonder...turst me, but i have to admit i love his song....man this thread had been dead for a while,eh.

kadodo

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Haiti

Soulja Boys is the main thing right now. The beat, the song everything is just great. But for some reason I can never bring myself to do the dance. My little cuz is seven is she danced through the whole song. any of you guys do the dance?

Zwivix

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Mexico

Lol i tried..and it didnt look pretty. My sister keeps watching a "learning" video on Youtube.

Everyone just wants to dance like Soulja Boy, but sorry to seem racist, but unless your black it just wont be the same.