The js06 Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The js06 Thread

js06

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I meant to make this thread quite a while ago, but I never got around to it and then forgot. I just remembered and decided to do it now before I forget again, so here goes.

I'm js06 and here's some basic information about me. My real name is Andrew. I'm 21 and l live in Alabama.

As for how I know Japanese, I'm actually self taught. I've never taken an actual class in Japanese; I used various online sources to learn the grammar and some basic vocabulary and then read A LOT. I used an online dictionary and read manga, Japanese web sites, and other things.

I got into translating manga at the start of 2009 by teaming up with Kioras to get Zettai Karen Children scanlated. I wasn't too confident in my translations then, but they were well received. Looking back I can tell I've improved a lot through practice since then. For the other mangas I do, you can just check my translator page: http://mangahelpers.com/t/js06

Well, if anyone has any questions for me, ask away.

Mr. Death

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am shock you are from Alabama, you are only like 2 or 3 states away from me...

js06

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yup, I live in Huntsville, AL to be specific.

Mr. Death

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I see, I was going to bomb Alabama when I took over the world, but now that I know you live there I will not..

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey js06! Congrats with your thread lol :XD!

lets see now..hmm..:plot..:nuts..random questions lol *here we go :XD*

Favouite colour?
Favourite manga?
Baths or showers?
Do you recycle?
Hows Dallas treating you?

What five things would you not be able to survive without?

js06

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey js06! Congrats with your thread lol :XD!

lets see now..hmm..:plot..:nuts..random questions lol *here we go :XD*

Favouite colour?
Green. It always has been and I'm not sure why.

Favourite manga?
Hmm...that's a tough one because mangas of different genres aren't really comparable in my opinion.
I guess I have to go with One Piece. It's not the one I consider to be the highest quality of the manga I like, but it's the one I think I enjoy reading the most.

Baths or showers?
Showers. Baths take too long.

Do you recycle?
Yes, but only if there's a convenient recycling pick up. If not, I don't bother.

Hows Huntsville treating you?
A. Fixed that for you.
B. Quite well.

What five things would you not be able to survive without?
Crap, another one I actually have to think to answer.
1. Curiosity (and learning new things which curiosity inevitably leads to)
2. The Internet
3. Books
4. Manga
5. Family/Friends (Thought I'd throw in a nice clichéd answer for the last one)

Arhazivory

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Yay! A js06 (aka superman, aka speedy) thread. I've always been curious about you, cause you seemed to pop up put of nowhere and started translating like crazy. It's amazing that you're self-taught and since I'm teaching myself too, I hope I'll be as awesome as you soon. I'll take your indirect advice and read read read!

Well I have a few questions:
1) When you get a request for a manga that you've never read before, do you download all the previous chapters and read them through to get a feeling of the series, or do you just look at the summary and character information?

2) Of all the series that you currently translate, which one do you enjoy the most?

3) On a more personal note; Are you still studying or do you work? Cause I realized that your daily releases were stopped when the school season started and I figured that you're a student.

4) Will you try for the JLPT sometime in the future? And do you dream of going to Japan someday?

5) Have you ever considered translating anime or entire novels?

I think I'll stop for now. haha.

js06

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I have a few questions:
1) When you get a request for a manga that you've never read before, do you download all the previous chapters and read them through to get a feeling of the series, or do you just look at the summary and character information?
I like to read all the previous chapters before translating if I can. If that would simply take too long, I start reading them and catch up on reading the manga while also doing the translations.

2) Of all the series that you currently translate, which one do you enjoy the most?
I'm gonna have to give three answers for three different types/genres of manga.
My favorite serious/action manga I translate is Bloody Monday.
My favorite serious/non-action manga I translate is Bakuman.
My favorite comedy I translate is Hayate no Gotoku!.

3) On a more personal note; Are you still studying or do you work? Cause I realized that your daily releases were stopped when the school season started and I figured that you're a student.
Yeah, I'm a college student.

4) Will you try for the JLPT sometime in the future? And do you dream of going to Japan someday?
I have no current plans regarding the JLPT, but I would like to visit Japan someday.

5) Have you ever considered translating anime or entire novels?
I've actually gotten a request to translate an anime in the past, but translating an anime doesn't really appeal to me for some reason. As for a novel, I suppose it could be fun, but the idea of doing a whole novel is a bit daunting.

Arhazivory

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
haha, I can imagine that novels would be daunting. When I think of eventually translating, it's novels that come to mind, but when...oh when will I get to that level. lol Anyway, next question.

- I've always wondered, do you read the final Edited Manga after the team releases it? Well, to be honest I only care about JAC right now. Do you read our releases to see if we botched your trans or forgot to credit you (of course we do not!!!!!)? ^^

js06

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
haha, I can imagine that novels would be daunting. When I think of eventually translating, it's novels that come to mind, but when...oh when will I get to that level. lol Anyway, next question.

- I've always wondered, do you read the final Edited Manga after the team releases it? Well, to be honest I only care about JAC right now. Do you read our releases to see if we botched your trans or forgot to credit you (of course we do not!!!!!)? ^^
I really only read the first couple a group does with my translations. I do continue to download a copy of the Edited Manga for every chapter I translate just so I have it. I just don't read through it every time.

And in case you were wondering, my conclusion about JAC's job was that y'all do an excellent job on the Edited Mangas.:amuse

magicbulletgirl

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
What's your favorite movie right now ^^?
And are you excited for the Sherlock Holmes movie?

Bugzee

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
lol cool replies js06! I'm glad Huntsville is taking care of you! haha :XD

Anything special you are looking forward to this christmas? :XD
How is your christmas shopping going?

js06

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
What's your favorite movie right now ^^?
I'm not that much of a movie person, so I don't really have a favorite movie. I haven't even seen a movie in months.

And are you excited for the Sherlock Holmes movie?
Not really, but I'll probably see it when it comes out on DVD, which is more than I could say for most movies.

Anything special you are looking forward to this christmas?
No, it looks like it's just going to be a standard Christmas.

How is your christmas shopping going?
Unfortunately, I haven't even started.

Doragon

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. :3

So what would you do if a random girl slaps you on the face while walking down the street, and then you get caught in fire?

Bugzee

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hahaha I leave the shopping real late as well! :XD

Chicken, Beef or Pork?
Do you like sunbathing?

haneul-nim

Reaction score
Country
United States
O_o so questions? what about demands?

Tell me your blood type! (i stick close to people cause i care ^^)
i demand you to turn around, i behind you!

so your self thought, any particular sources? any plans on learning other languages? (would be nice to have another korean translator to count on ^^)(or german) read! read! read! what kind of japanese books have you read? any haruki murakami?

wynnog

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This is a repost, I posted this before as a comment in one of your translations.

I don't come here to thank for your translations of HnG because I read the Edited Mangas, but I know that you translated most of the latest chapters.
I'd like to place a translation request. Some chapters were skipped by Manga Editors because everyone wanted to go to the chapters involving Athena. FoOlRulez, the group Editing it "in sequence", said that they can take up to two years to get current with the manga.
So, here I'm pasting a list of the missing chapters.
161, 165-168, 174-177, 207-213.
These are 16 chapters.
If you could translate one of those each month, it still would be faster than FoOlRulez.
And you would be my hero.
Thank you for reading this so far,
wynnog

Bugzee

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey js06!

more random questions...:XD

Mac or PC?
favourite aftershave?
Blonde or Brunette?

ItzRayz

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
ha, finally found your thread. Was surprised though. Wanted to drop by and extend my thanks for working with Gamble Fish <3

Bugzee

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Merry belated Christmas js06 :thumbs