The Lashival Trilogy - Book 2- The Enigma | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Lashival Trilogy - Book 2- The Enigma

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's a good theory ^^
:notrust

Okay, I want to also guess that the Lashival is a member or a follower of the cult that Armita's sister is with, going south iirc.

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting, interesting :plot

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
And where do you think Alethea's whereabouts is and is she safe? ^^

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And where do you think Alethea's whereabouts is and is she safe? ^^
Ahhh I see. So the secret mission she's gone on, is a plan from Shintra to get her alone?

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nope. It's a mission from Kejuta though Shintra would be interested in finding her, I think.

---------- Post added February 18, 2013 at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was February 13, 2013 at 06:22 PM ----------

Ceza 5, 2583

Armita and Owain stood outside the stables as they waited patiently for Talic. They had finished loading their supplies on top of their horses. It was still dark outside and it seemed like they were the only ones awake at this ungodly hour. She had to smile when she noticed that her younger colleague tried his best to stifle a yawn but failed miserably. “Couldn’t sleep?” she inquired.

He nodded sheepishly. “Not really. I guess I’m not a morning person,” he joked. “And you?”

“I had a little trouble,” she admitted as she patted her horse, Herisa, on the head. ”I was too anxious to start our mission so I couldn’t really fall asleep.”

“Is it about Ithani?” She nodded. “I’m sure that we will find her and knock some sense into her.”

“I hope so too,” she sighed. “She was a very stubborn girl when she was young and she still is.”

“I see. That might make things more difficult, huh?” Owain paused before finally asking, “By the way, when you do find your sister, what are you going to do next? You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want, but I was a little curious.”

She looked at him dumbfounded. Her plans afterward? To be honest, she hadn’t thought much about that. Maybe she could go back home and rejoin the Isharan military. Her father would then surely forgive her for her transgression. But then she had made numerous friends in the Bartheomos organization and would miss them terribly especially her team. Owain was like a younger brother who was eager to learn, and Cuzo knew how to cheer her up whenever she was feeling down by asking her to play with him. As for Talic... well, she was quite fond of him. He always had her back just she had his. Before she could tell him his answer, she noticed someone approaching them.

“Sorry that I’m late, but I was getting some last minute supplies,” Talic apologized as he joined them. As usual, Cuzo was right next to his master and looked at the two with what seemed to be a smile on his face. Seeing his wagging tail, Armita mused that the dog seemed to be excited about their new adventure. She wished that she had that much enthusiasm; all she felt at the moment was nerves.

Owain gave him a curious look. “What supplies?”

Talic held up two bags. One was as big as a coin purse while another was twice as big. “Momma Aiema heard that we were leaving today so she packed up some meals for our travel,” he explained. “As for the small bundle, it’s from our client. When I woke up this morning, I found it lying on my nightstand. She also left a note, saying that we would need it for our journey.”

“Do you know what’s in it?” an interested Armita asked, but Talic shook his head.

“She said that we should open it after we leave, and since we’re working for the All-Mother herself, I thought it’s best that we obey her command.”

She and Owain nodded though it was still weird to imagine that the goddess herself had requested their help. Why on earth did the All-Mother pick them of all people? What made them so special that she felt that they were the best choice for this mission? Speaking of which, that reminded her of the question that bothered her. “Did she provide more information about our target?” she questioned.

“Unfortunately she didn’t. Anyway, we should get going. Why don’t we head out and we could see what she gave us during our trip?” he suggested as he put the bags away; he has placed the food bag on top of his horse and placed the All-Mother’s gift in his satchel. They agreed and they got on their horses except for Talic, who just grabbed the reins of his pack horse and led it.

“Which way are we headed?” Owain asked as they exited the headquarters.

Talic looked at him thoughtfully. “Lyceaum. I think we can find more information about who we are dealing with at the university.” If she remembered correctly, that was Owain’s hometown.

“That makes sense. I’m sure that someone over there should have knowledge about him. Maybe I can ask Adalynn if she knows anything,” he said hopefully.

“Sounds like a good plan to me. Now let’s see what inside the bag…”

Ceza 19, 2583

As soon as they passed through the city gate, Owain felt nostalgic. After almost two years, he was finally back home. Everything still looked the same. Vendors lined the streets with their goods and shouted at passing potential consumers to promote their wares. The only difference was that more foreigners were now living in Lyceaum. Ever since the nations signed the peace treaty over five centuries ago, many people had emigrated from their homelands and settled down in another country. Now in almost every nations, one could find a Sendoan, an Isharan, an Ankan, or another nationality as easily as one could find water.

He liked to believe that Bartheomos was one of the key factors for this. If the founders of the international police force saw what the future had brought, they were surely smiling with pride. When the civilians noticed that all of the members were working together in spite of their different races and languages, they realized that everyone was not quite as different as they have imagined and became more open-minded. Of course there were still some extreme nationalists, but they hadn’t had much influence in the past few years.

Currently he was supposed to buy lunch for his team because he told them he knew the best place to grab a bite to eat. Turning a corner, he could already smell the delicious meals coming from the LuRosia’s Deli and Bakery. The corner restaurant was famous for their innovated recipes as well as their home-style foods. While majority dined in the warm family-friendly restaurant, a few ordered their meal at the take-out window and hurried on their way. Since the others were waiting for him back at the local headquarters, he had to go to the latter. A long line had already formed around the corner, which meant that it would take at least thirty minutes for his turn to come.

While he was waiting, he tried his best not to look at the scrumptious foods displayed at the large window but to no avail. A variety of pies, cakes, meats, breads, and other assortments were arranged so that anyone who was window shopping would suddenly feel an urge to buy a tasty treat. One thing that was certain, Mrs. LuRosia knew how to get customers. “Who’s next please!” he heard a woman shout in a slight Xavian accent. Speak of the devil, it was her.

Walking to the counter, he gave her the most mischievous grin and said, “Hello, Mrs. LuRosia. I would like to order four meat pasties please.” The plump fifty-two years old woman stared at him for a moment until recognition appeared in her eyes.

“Owain Tolbert, what a pleasant surprise!” she beamed as she examined him up and down. “It has been ages since I last saw you. Look at you! You’ve grown more handsome and taller since the last time I saw you. You’re just a fitting image of your late father, bless his soul.”

“Thank you,” he said politely. “How is Natalia by the way?” She was Mrs. LuRosia’s daughter and was in the same grade with him.

She gave him a sly look. “Instead of asking me, why don’t you ask her?” Before he could tell her that it wasn’t necessary, she shouted, “Natalia, come over here! Guess who finally decided to come home for a visit?” Thanks the gods the line behind him had significantly decreased and that there were other workers helping out at the counter. Otherwise he was positive that the other customers would be staring daggers at him.

A young woman with a questioningly look came up to the window, and Owain gave her a nervous smile. Natalia LuRosia still looked the same though she has matured gracefully as a woman. She has tied up her long, sandy blonde hair in a ponytail and had a maroon kerchief wrapped on her head. Her clothes and arms were covered with flour. As soon as she saw him, she squealed with delight and rushed over to the counter. “Owain, I can’t believe this!” she cried. “I would have hugged you right now, but I don’t want to ruin your fine clothes. How are you?”

He looked at her, relieved. During the last year in high school, they had started dating and many thought they would get married since they were always happy together. That changed when he announced that he was planning to join Bartheomos. She was supportive of him and gave him encouragement during his time at boot camp while he sent her his love. However, they struggled to keep a long-distance relationship and realized that it wasn’t meant to be. After a long discussion, they agreed to an amicable breakup. To be frank, he was glad that they were still friends. Otherwise it would be very awkward especially whenever he visited her restaurant.

“I’m doing well,” he replied. “And you? Anything exciting happened at home?”

“Well… remember Danth Bebins?” He nodded. Danth was his best friend, who played with him during one of his wild adventures when they were young. He even joined Owain at the Bartheomos boot camp though he didn’t last that long. After two weeks, he announced that he wasn’t meant to be a Bartheomos member and was quitting. However, he still encouraged Owain to continue and promised that he was going to support his best friend in another way. The last thing he’d heard from Danth, he started to date Natalia after asking Owain if it was all right with him.

“Yeah, what’s about him?”

“Well, he talked to some higher-ups in your organization and convinced them to allow us to cater for you, which meant that you will be able to enjoy our delicious meals whenever you visit here!”

“That’s great to hear! I bet your mother is pleased with that news,” Owain noted happily. He mentally thanked Danth for keeping his promise.

Natalia agreed. “She is. She has always wanted to show her appreciation for all of the hard work all of you do so Danth suggested that to her. Father was so impressed by his persuasive skills that he’s making him in charge of marketing.”

“That’s great news! Anything else?” She blushed embarrassingly and showed him her left hand, where he noticed an engagement ring. “You and Danth are getting married? Congratulations!” he exclaimed, and he meant it. There was a slight feeling of sadness though since Natalia would always be his first love. However he knew that he wouldn’t have made her happy with his nomadic lifestyle. “Let me know when the wedding is.”

“Of course, Danth and I would love for you to come. Oh, I saw your mother and uncle recently while I was shopping for supplies,” she began and paused as she studied his expression. He stiffened but he didn’t say anything. She knew that they criticized him for enlisting and wasn’t supportive of him.

When he was young, Uncle Thanthus didn’t mind his acting out his favorite stories despite his mother’s disapproval or allowing him to participate in outdoors recreations. “It’s just a phase,” he had reassured her. “Little Owain will get out of it and become more serious in his studies.” How gravely mistaken he was. After Owain announced that he was planning to try out to be a Bartheomos member, they had a fit. They informed him that life was too dangerous and unfit for someone of his lifestyle; besides he needed to focus on running the family’s business.

However, he insisted that he wasn’t interesting in the trade market and stubbornly refused to give up. Why didn’t they complain about Adalynn when she decided to go to college to study anthropology? Why did he have to run the family business, not her? They dismissed his reasons, saying that they wanted him to be in charge. Finally, after several days of arguments and threats, his uncle offered a compromise. He and his mother would allow him to join the Bartheomos boot camp on one condition – if he couldn’t handle it, he had to go back home and trained under his uncle. If he was successful, they would accept his decision. Knowing that they only did it since they thought he didn’t have a chance, Owain readily agreed and immediately vowed to prove them wrong.

At first, the rigorous training overwhelmed him and he would always come back to camp, sore and exhausted. While others in his camp received encouraging letters from their family, all he got were letters implying that they knew that he couldn’t handle it and that he should come home at once especially after Danth quitted. Clenching his jaws, he would politely tell them that he was enjoying the experience and that he intended to complete the boot camp no matter what. Now more determined, he worked harder and improved significantly enough to gain attention from his trainer. His family noticed as well after he informed them that he had passed the tryouts with flying colors and that he was being assigned to a group after graduation. He sent them invitation to the graduation ceremony and hoped they would come.

Instead of congratulating him, they lectured him of his foolishness and accused him of being selfish, which surprised him. Weren’t they being selfish for trying to force him to do something that he had no desire to do? The worst part was that they didn’t attend his graduation ceremony; only his older sister came. She tried to make excuses on why they didn’t come to make him feel better, but he knew the truth. However, he still kept writing to them with hopes that they finally accepted his decision though he felt resentment toward them. Why did they support Adalynn but not him?

At the same time, they still continued to belittle his decisions and urged him to quit. Finally, they had enough. In their last letter, they had ordered him to “stop this nonsense and come home to run the business”. Angry, he informed them that he had already make up his mind about joining Bartheomos and that he was not coming back home, where she could micromanage his life, to put it mildly. Ever since then, they hadn’t written to each other. If they did correspond with each other, they would use Adalynn as intermediary. He felt terrible about involving her in their disagreement, but his pride refused to let him reach out to his mother and uncle. It was probably the same for them too.

“How are they?” he asked quietly even though he wasn’t sure if he wanted to know.

“They seem to be doing well. Though your mother seems to be frailer and there was a hint of sadness in her voice,” she told him. “As for your uncle, he appeared to be fine though somewhat tired. I did ask them about Ada and you. They told me that your sister is going to graduate soon and just got accepted to a prestigious graduate program. The only thing they said about you was that you were doing well. Not to sound nosy, but I think they miss you.”

He didn’t say anything at first. His mother and uncle miss him? Ridiculous! They would have mentioned it in their letters if they did. “Thanks for your concern, but I think I can handle it,” he said finally. “Anyway, is Ada still around? I need to see her about something.”

She nodded. “I believe so. Luckily for you, you must have good timing because she’s about to leave for a research expedition soon.”

“Thanks, Natalia,” he replied. It couldn’t be coincidence; did the All-Mother use her influence to ensure that he didn’t miss his sister? Before he could question his friend more about his sister, Mrs. LuRosia arrived back with his order.

“Here you go, Owain,” she declared as she handed him the bag. “I also packed your favorites, and don’t worry about paying – it’s on the house.” He tried to protest but she vehemently shook her head. “I insist! Now you better head back before the meat pies get soggy!”

Knowing that she wouldn’t accept his money, Owain said farewell and went on his way. While he was walking down the street, he felt his stomach rumbling due to the delicious smell of the food so he stopped to grab one for the road. He smiled when he saw that Mrs. LuRosia had packed him a small bag of lemon drops. She still remembered that it was his favorite candy. Popping one in his mouth, he tucked the rest in his pocket and continued walking. He was enjoying the familiar scenery when he stopped abruptly. Dammit, he was unknowingly walking the same route he used when he used to come home from school. He could see the townhouse which he used to call home in the distance. There was no way he’s going back there. With a sharp turn on his heel, he quickly used another route and headed back to unite with the others.

“Sorry I’m late. I bumped into some old friends and they wanted to talk to me,” Owain apologized as soon as he entered the lobby. Talic and Armita sat on one of the red sofas while Cuzo lay down at the former’s feet. While their young companion was gone, they were going over notes on their new target and trying to figure out the next move.

“It’s all right,” Talic reassured him. “It must be nice to see them after having gone for such a long time.” Now that he thought about it, he hadn’t seen his parents and siblings for a while either. Hopefully they were doing well.

“Anyway, here’s our lunch,” he said as he handed them each a meat pasty and placed one in front of Cuzo’s nose, which began to twitch. The dog opened his eyes and immediately sat up to gobble his meal. “Better eat them now while they’re still hot.”

They didn’t need him to tell them that. When they smelled the savory aroma, they took a bite at once. Talic was impressed; it was as delicious as Owain had claimed. Whoever made it put in bite-size chicken pieces and fresh vegetables. “This is very good,” he complimented and Armita nodded with agreement as she wiped some crumbs off her lips.

“Glad you like it. Mrs. LuRosia would be thrilled when I tell her,” the Lycian said, pleased. After everyone was finished, he continued, “So what’s next in our agenda?”

“First, to pass out the All-Mother’s gifts before we forget,” Talic suggested and opened the small bag. When they first saw the contents, they were confused on why she left them each a crystal pendant necklace. Why would they need to wear them on their journey? The All-Mother must have her reason, but they wished she clearly stated why instead of being so vague about it.

After everyone placed the necklaces on and tucked them underneath their shirt, the Eireneridan continued, “Next, I want you and Armita to head to the university to try to find out more information about this so-called threat against our world. While you two are doing that, I’ll get the horses ready so as soon as you are finished with your business, we can head out.”

“Wait a minute, we’re not staying here for tonight?” Owain asked confusedly. He and Armita shook their heads.

“Since the All-Mother wanted us to find him as quickly as possible, we thought it would be best if we leave after we’re done our research,” Armita explained. Owain nodded understandably though Talic sensed that he was disappointed. He didn’t blame him for his reaction because he felt the same way, but they shouldn’t waste any time. Besides they would always have another time to sleep on a soft, comfortable bed.

He stood up and everyone else immediately followed suit. “Well then, let’s get a move on,” he declared. “Cuzo and I will be waiting at the south city gate.” Armita and Owain nodded and they set off on their separate ways.

As usual, the National University of Lycia was crowded with students, professors, and families as they strolled around the campus. Most of the families were spending their time at The Trees of Wilmarina sculpture, which was made over a century ago to celebrate the late queen’s 50th Jubilee. The trees were carved out of a special rock called weatherstone, which could be found in Ishara. The central tree had a medium-sized knothole where visitors could place an elemental stone, which transformed the trees to represent the different seasons. If one placed a fire elemental stone in the hole, the trees would grow leaves while an air elemental stone would cause the trees to bloom flowers. Placing an earth elemental stone would cause an image of leaves falling to the ground and inserting a water elemental stone would show an image of the bare trees covered with snow.

Watching the scene, Owain reminisced going over to the sculpture with his family when he was little. His dad would pick him up so he could place an elemental stone in the knothole while his mother and sister laughed at him because he was wiggling in his father’s arms. Those were happier times.

“Owain, are you coming with me?” He turned around to see Armita looking at him patiently. She was waiting near the library door.

Blushing embarrassingly, he mumbled, “Yeah, I’m coming.” He glanced back one last time before he hurried to catch up to her and they entered the library together. Unlike the noisy outdoors, the library was quiet, and the only sound was footsteps walking on the marble floor.

“Let split up,” the Isharan suggested. “I’ll ask one of the librarians if she have any information about our ‘friend’ while you go look for your sister. Let’s meet up here after a half an hour.”

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Owain agreed. “Good luck, Armita!”

She nodded and went to the front desk. He could hear her asking, “Excuse me, but I need to find some information about…” Well, he better do his part too. He went straight up the stairs and arrived at the second floor. Walking past the rows of books, he ignored the other patrons sitting at the tables and headed to the left corner. If he remembered correctly, that was Adalynn’s favorite spot to study. Sure enough, there she was.

It seemed like she was too focused on the book she was reading and her back was toward him, which meant that he could easily sneak up on her. Smiling mischievously, he crept up behind her and whispered in her ear, “I’m sorry, but this spot has been reserved for someone else so you need to leave.”

Startled, she looked back and nearly fell out of her chair. “Owain, what are you doing here!?” she exclaimed as she stood up to hug him… a little too tightly to his comfort.

“Visiting you, of course,” he said with a smile as he examined her. While many said that he was the splitting image of their father except for his hair and eye colors, they would say that Adalynn looked similar to their mother. Both have short, blonde hair and bright blue eyes. The only difference was their fashion sense; his mother wore the latest woman fashion, but his sister preferred to wear pants since it was easier to move around. Not to mention the fact that she didn’t have to worry about anyone looking up her dress whenever she had to look for a reference book on the top shelf.

She must have been doing the same thing because she commented, “You have gotten taller from the last time I saw you. Have you seen mother and Uncle Thanthus? They would be thrilled to see you, you know.”

“No, I haven’t and why should I?” he asked darkly. She just shook her head and sighed.

“Honestly, I wish all of you would stop acting like children and talk to each other. It’s irritating that I’m stuck in the middle just because everyone refuses to see their mistakes,” she grumbled mostly to herself though Owain could still hear it. Before he could defend himself, she quickly composed herself. “Anyway, I see you’re still wearing your Bartheomos pin so where is the rest of your team? I think I see Armita talking to Ms. Luthaus, but I don’t see Talic.”

“He’s getting the horses ready. As soon as we finished here, we’re heading out,” he explained. In his opinion, Talic didn’t want to come here because he felt rather uncomfortable since everyone would gawk at him due to his dark skin. Even though there were a lot of foreigners living in the city, not a lot of Eireneridans moved far north, which was why he seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. But then he should be grateful that he wasn’t from Enkrum. Majority of the population looked at them suspiciously due to the fact that many people from that continent were perceived to be assassins even if it wasn’t true. In fact, many Ankans in Bartheomos faced discrimination due to the preconceived notions.

She nodded. “I see. Then you’re here on official business, I assume?”

Straight to business as usual, he thought. “Err… I need to do some research and I thought that maybe you could help since the information I’m looking for is probably under your expertise.”

“Oh? Well then, I’ll try my best. What are you looking for then?”

He cleared his throat as he tried to decide how to begin. “Do you know about any story about a man who could destroy the world?”

Adalynn arched her eyebrow curiously. “Not that I know of,” she admitted. “We didn’t have discussion about anything on that topic in any of my classes. In my anthropology of religion course, we did discuss about the ancient gods our ancestors worshipped but it didn’t mention anything about a dangerous person like that. The only one I could think of was Merzak, who requested human sacrifices as for her offering, but she didn’t seem to be powerful enough to destroy the world. Not to mention the fact that she’s not a man. I’m sorry that I wasn’t much help.”

“It’s okay, Ada. At least you tried,” Owain reassured her, but he was disheartened. If his genius sister didn’t have any knowledge about their target, how could they track him down?

Seeing his discouraged expression, she tried to cheer him up. “I may not have the answer, but I may know someone who does.”

He perked up. “Who might that be?”

“Well…” she bit the bottom of her lips hesitantly. “There is this old man who would visit the library periodically and pick up random book to read. Then he would ramble angrily about how the authors got the history wrong and that they should get their doctorate revoked. At first, we were alarmed by his behavior and thought of kicking him out. However Mrs. Luthaus had a talk with him and decided that he was a pretty harmless though a bit loony so she allowed him to stay. The only thing she asked him to do was not to scare the patrons, which he agreed. Anyway, he would still complain about some ‘inaccuracies’ but we have gotten used to it so we just tuned him out.”

Great, just great. The only person who could help him might be some senile, old man! “Is he here today?” His sister nodded. “Where is he then?”

“Mrs. Luthaus gave him his own room in the backroom so he wouldn’t cause too much distraction,” she explained. “Follow me. I’ll lead you to him. I talked to him a couple of times and he seems nice.”

Owain followed her reluctantly down the stairs. Hopefully he won’t waste any of his time and get useful answers from that old man. Otherwise, this trip was going to be pointless.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder what this old man knows and how he can help them with their search.

I take it you'll be exploring Owain's relationship with his mother and uncle at later chapters, no?

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
You'll see... :cookiehand

Umm... in a way. Let's just say that someone is going to let him have it in the later chapters. :amuse

Anyway, here's Chapter 4. Sorry for the delay, but my old laptop acted up so I couldn't really write in the format that I wanted so yeah.

Chapter 4: The Crazy Old Man

When they reached the backroom, Adalynn immediately went straight to farthest door in the room and knocked on the door. “Mister Dom!” she called out. “It’s me, Adalynn. I brought someone who wishes to speak with you.” Owain thought he heard someone mumbling something and his sister smiled as she opened the door and beckoned him to follow her before closing the door again.

An old man sat hunched in the middle of the floor surrounded by stacks of books, which seemed to reach the ceiling. He had a blue shawl tossed over his shoulders, and he was absentmindedly skimming through a book, which was titled The Great Manipulator: How General Passeck Valentus Tricked the World to Rise to Power. “Wrong, wrong, wrong,” he mumbled. “General Passeck Valentus wasn’t involved in Governor Izaac Tashuni’s death, and he didn’t kill Oraji in some godforsaken land. My goodness, when she hears about this, she’s going to be furious. This Gregous Ackus must be a reincarnate of either Baccus or King Gedimus since both of them had a reason to despise him.”

Owain and Adalynn glanced at each other. Gregous Ackus was a renowned scholar, who was famous for his vast knowledge of history that he would give lectures all over the world, and his words were always perceived as facts. To hear this old kook bashing a popular historian was astonishing to say the least. “I told you he’s odd,” she mouthed and he had to agree. Clearing her throat to get his attention, she continued as the old man looked up at her, “Mister Dom, I would like you to meet my brother, Owain. Remember that I told you about him?”

“Ah yes! He’s in Bartheomos!” he exclaimed, smiling warmly. His eyes seemed to twinkle as he examined Owain up and down. “I’m sure he would be interested in learning the true history about his organization’s founder. I can assure you that this book…” He slapped the book angrily. “… is rubbish! I know FOR A FACT that General Passeck was a great friend of Lady Oraji and that he saved her from being stuck in a loveless marriage. In fact, he helped expose the Valenki system, which helped bring into law the abolishment of children soldiers. Likewise he wasn’t one of the conspirators who plotted Kahlin Hessin’s assassination. Did you know how he received his scar? He got it when he saved Kahlin Hessin’s father from being killed in battle and…”

“My brother isn’t here for a history lesson,” his sister interrupted. “He wants to ask you a question about…”

The door opened and Armita came in with the librarian. “Oh, Adalynn!” Mrs. Luthaus said when she noticed the Tolbert siblings in the room. “I see that you had the same idea that I did. Since this is official Bartheomos business, why don’t we take our leave?”

Adalynn nodded. “Of course, Mrs. Lanthaus. I’ll see you later then, Owain.” She smiled at Armita, who returned her warm gesture. They had met each other after Owain’s graduation ceremony when he found out his team and had taken a great liking to each other. Then she took her leave with the librarian and shut the door.

“Bartheomos members, eh?” Mister Dom looked at them with great interest. “Well then, what do you wish to talk about?”

“We have been tasked with finding a young man who can supposedly destroy the world,” Armita began. “Unfortunately, we don’t have much information about him except that he always looks the same and that he’s in the south. We thought it was best to research more information about him, but we haven’t had any luck so far.”

Mister Dom rubbed his long gray beard thoughtfully. “So you’re hoping that I can help you?” They nodded. “Well, I have good news for you because I can.”

The two moved closer to him as he continued; “Now I don’t have all of the facts, but I do have a description of him. He has tan skin, light brown hair, and amber eyes. Since he is a young man, I assume he will be around 1.65 meters to 1.68 meters tall. I hope that helps.”

“It does,” she replied, thanking him, and turned to Owain. “So it seemed like our person of interest is an Ankan then.”

He agreed though he noticed a problem. “The only issue is this doesn’t really help us. The Ankan has a large population so it would take forever to look through every one of them,” he pointed out.

“Not true,” Mister Dom piped up and they focused their attention on him again. “Your target is supposedly in the south, correct? Well, since not a lot of Ankans lived to Ongera due to the strict emigration regulations passed by their government, it should make things easier, right?”

Armita and Owain stared at him with amazement. He just smiled sweetly right back at them. For a man who was supposedly crazy, he seemed to be lucid right now. Owain began to wonder if it was all an act. Armita must have thought so too because she asked suspiciously, “By the way, how did you know so much about the man we’re looking for?”

Instead of answering, the old man just grabbed another book from the pile right next to him and started reading again. “Another quack!” he grumbled. “By the gods, who allowed them to teach history?”

Owain just shrugged sheepishly at an irate Armita. It seemed like Mister Dom didn’t wish to tell them where he got his information. “We better get going,” he announced, tugging the Isharan to follow him. “Thank you for all your help, Mister Dom!” The old man just nodded his head and waved them off while he continued to read and criticize the author. The young Bartheomos member glimpsed back one last time, but Mister Dom was still looking down at his book.

After they exited the room, they went back to the front, where Adalynn was waiting for them. “Well, how did it go?” she asked curiously.

“I guess it went well,” he began slowly and Armita nodded. “We managed to gather some more information though it may not be reliable.”

“It’s better than nothing, right?” his sister noted; she always tried to look on the bright side.

“I suppose.” He turned to his teammate. “I guess we should be heading out then, huh?”

Armita nodded. “Talic is waiting for us and he would be pleased that we got a new lead. Well then, take care, Adalynn. Hopefully we’ll meet again.” Turning to Owain, she added, “I’ll wait for you outside.” She smiled at Adalynn again and walked toward the exit.

“Bye, Armita,” she said and turned to her brother. “Leaving so soon?”

Nodding, Owain replied, “Yeah, we wanted to get this job over quickly so we’re not going to take a break. Sorry. I know you wanted to spend more time with me.”

“It’s all right,” she reassured him. “Maybe we’ll bump into each other during our journey.”

“Oh, that’s right! Natalia mentioned that you were going on a research expedition. Where are you heading off?”

“Wellsborough,” she explained; her eyes were full of nervous anticipation. “A group of us are heading down there to study how mining affect a person’s way of life. We’re supposed to be there for a year so I’m somewhat nervous about it.”

He looked at her curiously. “How come?”

“Well…” She paused to get her thoughts together. “I never been this far away from home before, and I worried that I may become homesick. Then I won’t be able to do my job correctly and messed up, which would mess up, which would ruin the research.”

Placing his hands on her shoulders, Owain reassured her, “You’ll be fine. I know you, Ada, and you can do it. If it makes you feel better, I can try to convince the others to stop by the place to say hello. Does that sound fine to you?”

Smiling, his sister muttered amusingly, “Owain Tolbert, I wouldn’t have anyone else as my baby brother. Of course, you can stop by. Maybe you’ll find your target there.”

“That would be nice indeed,” he agreed. “Anyway, I better get going. I hope you’ll have a safe trip, Ada!”

“You too! I’ll tell Mother and Uncle Thanthaus that you’re fine.” Owain nodded and with one last wave, he left the library.

It was nearly closing time when Mister Dom decided to leave the library. Work today was very productive, to say the least. Standing just outside the library door, he stretched and debated with himself on what to do next. His stomach’s grumbling helped make that decision. Heading to LuRosia’s, he wondered what tasty morsel he should have today. Hmm… maybe a cup of coffee and maple scones?

“Good evening, Menica,” he greeted as he entered the restaurant. The owner of the place looked up from the counter and beamed at him.

“Good evening to you too,” she replied, wiping her hands on her apron. “How is your ‘research’ coming along?”

“Quite well, thank you. By the way, congratulations on your daughter’s engagement! Her fiancé is a lucky man.”

“Indeed, he is,” Mrs. LuRosia agreed. “Now what can I get you?”

After placing his order, he sat down to read the newspaper. Hmm… it looked like the Velscendus cult was causing trouble in Bisaha and heading south to Sabin. He shook his head. That cult was so troublesome due to their destructive and chaotic nature. Something needed to be done with them, but what?

“Is this seat taken?” He looked up and quickly recognized the young woman standing in front of him in spite of her disguise.

“No, go right ahead,” he offered so she sat down. Just then, Mrs. LuRosia came to give him his order and was surprised to see a woman sitting with him. No doubt she didn’t expect him to have someone – a lovely one at that – to keep him company.

After overcoming her shock, she turned to his guest and offered, “Would you like to order anything, miss?”

“Tea would be fine. Thank you.” As soon as Mrs. LuRosia left to get her order, the woman turned her focus on him. “So how was it?”

Instead of answering her question, he asked worriedly, “Are you sure it's safe for you to be here? After all, there have been twelve assassination attempts on you so far.”

“Nonsense,” she replied, waving her hand as if brushing his concern aside. “Besides, Master Dom, they wouldn't expect me to be here since I spend all of my times in Kreesia. Now you haven't answered my question.”

“I think it went quite well though I had to stop myself from revealing too much. Hopefully I provided enough information to help Talic and them on their mission,” he admitted.

She gave him a reassuring smile. “Of course you did. Because of your help, they are on their way. If you're so worried about them, you know you can always check on them.” Just then Mrs. LuRosia returned with her cup of tea so his guest thanked her before continuing, “Now then, why don't we just relax until it's time to head back?”

“I suppose so,” he began as he sipped his cup of coffee thoughtfully, “but first, I need to make some corrections in the books I read so far. You won't believe all of the outlandish assertions I read...”

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll read the chapter later. But I just remembered, Kej gives the group some necklaces right. What's up with that?

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
You'll find out in CH. 6 & 7 ^^

---------- Post added March 09, 2013 at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was March 03, 2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

Chapter 05: Heading South

Talic waited near the city gates and was deep in thoughts. Hopefully the others made some progress during their search because otherwise, they would be stuck. It would prove difficult finding someone with only a vague description. Now that he thought about it, he wasn’t so sure why he accepted the task. Why would he agree to a mission where the client wishes to kill someone? It was the spur of a moment, he decided. The Eireneridan knew how badly Armita wanted to find her sister and since Kejuta claimed to know her location, he wanted his colleague to at least have a lead on Ithani’s whereabouts. Which reminded him of another troubling question: why did the All-Mother (or someone who claimed to be the goddess herself) pick them of all people? What did she see in them?

Cuzo’s barking alerted him of his comrades’ arrival. They wore serious but thoughtful expressions, which must be a good thing. "How did it go?" he asked when they were in hearing range.

“Pretty well, I must say,” Armita replied. “It wasn’t much, but at least it was something. I’ll let Owain explain it to you since our source was very... aggravating.”
Turning his attention to their young colleague, he listened carefully as the Lycian told him about the strange old man and the information that he provided. “So our person is an Ankan?” Talic concluded, and they nodded. Interesting. He wondered if it was a coincidence that their target, who supposedly could destroy the world, was from a place notorious for raising assassins. “I guess it’s better than nothing so we better head off now. Let’s go!”

He grabbed the reins of the pack horse and whistled for his dog to follow alongside him. Cuzo immediately ran over and looked up at his master with an eager look on his face, which told him that he was ready to go. Smiling, he petted the Kallian wolf; Cuzo always seemed ready for an adventure. While he was walking down the trail, Armita suddenly rode up next to him. “Talic, I want to ask you something privately,” she murmured that he could barely hear her. He looked at her questioningly. “It’s all right. Owain is guarding the rear.”

“What do you wish to talk about?” he wondered.

She hesitated. “Did you agree to take this mission because of me?” she asked. “Because if you did, I don’t want to feel like you only did it because of my obligation to find Ithani. I know that this isn’t a type of mission you would be interested in so I want to know why you accepted this.”

Talic felt a lump in his throat but swallowed. Looking at her, he reassured her, “It’s not because of that reason, Armita. It’s because...” “I love you,” he wanted to say but couldn’t. He didn’t want to impose on her and worried that she would feel obliged to say that she felt the same way even if she doesn’t. Besides, the group dynamics had been great so far and any awkwardness between them would most likely ruin it. “... if what the All-Mother said is true, then we need to stop him before hell breaks loose. Don’t forget that we’re just going to capture him, not kill him.”

The Isharan looked relieved. “I see,” she said with a smile. “I better go back to check on Owain then. You know how he sometimes let his imagination get the better of him.” They chuckled, remembering how on his first mission, Owain thought he heard someone following them and it turned out it was just a curious raccoon. Patting his arm, she whispered, “Don’t overstrain yourself.”

Watching her head back, Talic wondered if he would ever have the courage to finally confess his feeling toward her and shook his head. Now wasn’t the perfect timing, but when was it? His dog must have sensed something was up because he nuzzled his arm. The Eireneridan looked down at his dog’s eyes, which seemed to be saying that he was rooting for him. “You always know how to perk me up,” he laughed, ruffling Cuzo’s fur. Cuzo just spun around in circles before running off ahead of them. “You want to be the leader now, eh? Well then, go ahead! Lead the way!”

After a few hours, Talic stopped at a clearing and announced, “We’ll make camp here.” Everyone wearily agreed especially since their legs were starting to ache after riding for so long. While everyone was setting up camp, Cuzo sauntered around the perimeter and sniffed around. Sometimes he would bark at them as if he was giving out orders.

“Cuzo, you can be so bossy sometimes,” Owain muttered, shaking his head, after the dog admonished him for doing his job halfheartedly. Cuzo growled at him so he said exasperatedly, “Okay, okay! I’ll clear away more sticks. Are you happy now?” Talic’s dog woofed with approval and immediately sat down next to a log. Armita and Talic just looked at each other and smiled. Those two could be entertaining to watch. When everything was finished and a fire was started, they relaxed.

“Man, I’m starving!" Owain said as he sat down next to Armita. Talic and Cuzo had left to do something. “Whose turn is it to go hunting today?”

She arched her eyebrows. “Isn’t it yours?” He looked at her confusedly until it dawned on him that maybe she was right. After all, she did have a pretty good memory.

“Shi-, I mean shot! Thanks for reminding me.” Standing up abruptly, he hurried over to his horse to grab his weapon before heading off to the forest.

“No problem. I’ll get everything else ready. Good luck, Owain!” she called out as she watched him disappeared. She continued to sit there for a few minutes, debating whether or not she should relax a few minutes more. It would take Owain a little while to find foods and she could set up the pots and dishes in less than ten minutes. It shouldn’t hurt to rest for a couple minutes more, right? Besides, she was feeling exhausted that she could hardly think.

“I’m back!” Startled, Armita jumped up with a start as Talic sat next to her. Meanwhile, Cuzo continued to sniff the air as if he sensed an interesting smell. “Where’s Owain anyway?”

“By the gods, Talic, you startled me,” she said, clasping her hand over her heart. The Eireneridan gave her an apologetic look. “As for Owain, he’s hunting right now.”

Talic looked at her confusedly. “He’s hunting?” She nodded. “But isn’t it my turn to hunt?”

Now it was her turn to be confused. “Wait, I thought it was his turn today.”

“Nope, I’m pretty sure it’s mine. That’s why Cuzo and I left; we were setting up snares. Wait a minute, did you tell him that it was his turn?”

She nodded but suddenly burst out laughing. “Oh gods, Owain is going to kill me if he finds out about this. I’ll definitely have to owe him now.”

“The key word is ‘if’,” he reminded her with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. “Let’s pretend this conversation didn’t happen. Besides, he was feeling somewhat antsy so a little exercise shouldn’t hurt him.”

“I guess you’re right,” she agreed and sighed. She stretched and leaned back. “Still I would feel guilty if something bad was to happen to him.”

“Don’t worry, Armita. He should be fine. I mean, there’s no one else around here besides us and the animals. What could possibly go wrong?”

Owain crept through the woods as quiet as could be. He didn’t have any luck so far in finding any animals; it was as if they knew that something was amiss and hid. Not that he minded though. It was nice to stretch his tired legs and explore his new environment. He also enjoyed the peace and silence, which was rare living in the city. Heh, he was born in the wrong family, he thought ruefully. That thought happened a lot.

Looking around, he noted a gnarly tree with its twisted branches and memorized it just in case he got lost. Owain could still remember what happened the first time that happened. On his first mission, he and the others were pursuing a fugitive, who ran into a dense forest to elude them. Talic determined that it was too risky to go after him, but Owain did anyway since he wanted to make a good impression. Unfortunately, not only did he lose the fugitive, he got lost. Panicking, he tried to backtrack but got further lost in the woody labyrinth.

When he was about to lose hope, he heard barking and was so relieved to see Cuzo approaching him. He followed the Kallian wolf back to the others, who were relieved to see him. However, they immediately lectured him for his recklessness and reminded him that he needed to follow the leader’s orders. While Armita did yell at him, Talic just talked to him quietly. The Eireneridan reminded him of a teacher – gentle but firm. He apologized and after that incident, he had listened to Talic’s direction ever since.

Speaking of which, he wondered what the others were doing right now. Most likely they already set up the kitchen and table up and were waiting for him to come back. He highly doubted that they were flirting with each other. Talic was too shy to confess while Armita was probably oblivious. Shaking his head, the young man wondered if those two would finally communicate their feelings. But now that he thought more about it, if they do become a couple, he would become a third wheel and that would definitely be awkward.

Something rustling in the bushes close by caught his attention so he slowly lifted his bow and aimed at that spot. He held his breath while he waited for the creature to come out. Sure enough, a rabbit popped out. Studying it, Owain decided that it was just the right size and started to let his arrow go when something flew past by his head. Alarmed, he misaimed and missed the rabbit, which scurried away. Wondering what happened, he looked around to find out what almost hit him and found it on the tree right in front of him. It was a bolt.

“Hey, kid, what are you doing in my forest?” a voice called out.

Spinning around, he saw two shadowy figures on a sturdy branch and looking down on him. He could discern that they were a boy and girl and that they seemed younger than he. While the girl was sitting, the other was standing and holding a crossbow. Since he didn’t want any trouble, Owain tried to be diplomatic about it.

“I’m sorry, but I thought this was a public area. I didn’t know that you own this forest. I’ll tell my comrades and we’ll leave this place,” he apologized.

Instead of accepting his apology, they just laughed. “He was just pulling your leg, mister,” the girl chortled. Owain inwardly frowned; first he was a kid, now he was mister? “This isn’t our forest.”

“Then why…?” He was bewildered by their behaviors and slowly pulled out another arrow. Something odd and dangerous was going on here and his instincts told him that he needed to get away from them.

“For the fun of it,” she replied and stood up. Her eyes had a dangerous gleam in them as she stared at him eagerly. “You know, my brother and I hadn’t have much fun lately so do you want to play with us?”

The young Bartheomos member shook his head. His gut instinct told him that their meaning of “fun” was different from his. “Uh… no thanks, I’m busy and I’m sure that my colleagues are worried about me…” he stammered shakily as he backed away.

“Aww… that’s too bad because we like you,” the girl replied, disappointed. “On the other hand, we don’t take ‘no’ for an answer.”

Before he could blink, the girl disappeared. Huh? Where did she go? Owain frantically looked around but wasn’t able to locate her. Something in his guts told him to move to his left so he did. It was good thing too because he just barely dodged getting stabbed.

“You have pretty good reflexes, mister,” the impressed girl complimented him. Dammit, how was she able to sneak up on him without his hearing her? The strange thing was that it seemed like the shadows were covering her entire body so he couldn’t identify her. Without hesitation, he quickly shot his arrow at her, but she disappeared into the shadows. His arrow hit nothing but air. Now he was confused. He was sure that he would have at least nipped her.

He was about to grab another arrow when another bolt flew over his hand. “Hey, Tory, you can’t have all the fun, you know,” his other assailant shouted to his comrade before turning his attention to Owain. “See? That’s why I prefer a crossbow over a bow and arrows. It’s more accurate than your puny weapon. In fact, I bet I can hit you in the chest before you get a chance to reload. Let’s see if I’m right.”

Crap! Owain quickly rolled away as another bolt hit the spot where he was standing. Unfortunately more bolts rained down upon so he had to keep moving without any chance of grabbing another arrow. Hiding behind a tree, he stopped to catch his breath as he wondered how he was going to get out of this mess. He debated whether or not he should call the others for help but decided against it. He might lead them to a trap and put them in harm’s way.

Taking a quick glimpse, he noticed that the arbalest’s back was facing him and realized that this was his chance. Cautiously he grabbed an arrow and placed it on his bow. Then he aimed the arrow at the boy and pulled the string before launching the projectile in the air. It barely left his bow when someone cut the arrow in half. “I found him, Weiss!” Tory announced in a singsong manner. “He was trying to shoot you with his measly arrow.”

Owain cussed as he ran before he could get hit. He had forgotten about the girl. Now he had to worry about two opponents. This battle was not to his advantage so he needed to flee. The worst part was that it was nearly dark so he was having difficulty seeing where he was going. Not to mention the fact that those two were blocking his way from reaching Talic and Armita. It was like they were leading him away from the others… Wait a minute; was that their plan all along? They were trying to lead him away so they could kill him easily. They probably determined that he was the “weakest link” and decided to get rid of him first. Then they would do the same with the others, picking them off one by one.

He felt sick to his stomach. There was no way he’s going to die like that – a coward running away. If he were to die, he’s going to put a stand. He abruptly halted and turned to face his adversaries, who seemed to be surprised by his change of behavior. For some reason, they stayed back in the darkness of the woods. “What’s all this all of a sudden?” the boy asked suspiciously. “Have you decided that you’re ready to accept your fate?” The girl looked at him warily as though she was wondering if he had some surprises waiting for them, which he did.

He shook his head. “I’m not ready to die just yet,” he declared while slowly digging his hand in his pocket. Come on, he knew that he always carried some with him. Now where could they be?

The two looked at him and laughed. “We don’t want to kill you… not yet anyway,” the girl informed him. “We just want to have fun with you.”

“Really? Well, you guys have a weird sense of what ‘fun’ is.” That was when he found what he was looking for. He started to smile but quickly stopped himself; he didn’t want them to suspect something.

“Well then, are you done? Because all of this talking is getting boring and I really want to fight you,” she whined.

He nodded. “I’m ready when you guys are.”

“Oh good, then let the fun begins!” she said gleefully as she charged at him.

“Yes, let’s,” he agreed and pulled out his red elemental stone, blasting her with fire. It wasn’t much, but it did enough damage to blind her and force her to drop her swords.

Rubbing her eyes, she stopped and screamed, “Ow, that hurts, you little bastard! When I get you, I’ll make sure you suffer!”

Ignoring her threats, he quickly grabbed her and used her as a shield. “Drop your weapon or else your friend will get hurt,” he ordered as he tightened his grip on his hostage. Dammit, he didn’t want to do it, but he didn’t have any choice. He thought he heard her partner cursed but felt relieved when he saw the crossbow and the quiver of bolts thrown to the ground. So far, so good. “Now walk toward me and get rid of that magic hiding your form; I want to have a clear look at you. You too, girl.”

Imagine his surprise to find himself facing an Ankan boy who was barely younger than he. Likewise he was amazed to see the shadow hiding the girl sliding off her like it was water. They looked similar to each other; were they related? “Now who are you and what do you want?” he demanded.

The girl glared at him through her puffy eyes but unexpectedly smiled at him, which caused him to tighten his grip on her. “Not bad, mister,” she praised him. “I can see why Kejuta selected you to be her ‘hounds’. However, don’t be so cocky because we’re not finished yet.”

Kejuta? Wait, how did she know about the All-Mother and his team’s mission? Before he could ask her, she merged with the shadows, which caused her to become slippery that he lost his hold on her, and “melted” into the shadows. “What the-?” All of a sudden, something forced him to his knees and arms. Owain tried to stand up, but something heavy was preventing him. Out of the corner of his eyes, he caught a glimpse of what was on top of him and was amazed to see it was nothing but shadows.

The next thing he knew, a pair of black and red boots standing right in front of his face. He looked up to find the girl gloating down at him. “Enjoying the view?” she teased, but he turned his head away from her. In turn, she used one of her cutlasses, which was sheathed, and placed it under his chin, forcing him to look up at her. He could only watch helplessly while she toyed with him. “You know, we were just trying to scare you off, but you really pissed me off with what you did so I change my mind. I think you need to be taught a lesson.”

She then unsheathed her weapon and placed the blade next to his face. Owain could see the sweats dripping from the side of his face from his reflection and swallowed as he tried to hide his fear. Lifting her sword, the girl announced, “Before I kill you, I want you to know this – he is our target. No one else especially you mortals are allowed to hunt him down.”

Upon seeing her sword swinging down on him, he immediately shut his eyes. This was it; he was going to die. However, he didn’t expect what happened next to occur. Instead of being cut up, he thought he heard a dog’s growl and then the girl screaming, “Get off me, you dumb mutt!”

Opening his eyes, he found a bewildering sight. Cuzo was on top of his would-be killer, who was wrestling with him. Her swords lay scattered close by on the ground. “Hang on, Tory!” her partner shouted, putting a bolt into his crossbow. “I’ll get rid of him!”

Before he could even pull the trigger, Talic appeared out of nowhere and hit his arm with his quarterstaff, causing the bolt to hit the ground near the arbalest’s feet. “Don’t you dare hurt my dog,” the Eireneridan snarled as he quickly swung his weapon again. His opponent cursed as he jumped out of the way. Owain could only watch with amazement. How did his comrades find him?

“Are you all right?” He looked up to see Armita’s concerned face though there was a hint of guilt in there as well. Why was that? Surprisingly, she was able to pull him up to his feet and subsequently he realized that whatever was on top of him was gone.

“Y-yeah, I think so. How did you…?”

“Now it’s not the time. We need to capture those two and question them,” she replied firmly as she withdrew her butterfly knives and headed into battle. It was just in the nick of time too because the female attacker managed to kick Cuzo out of the way and was about to strike him with her swords. But then Armita get between them and used her weapons to block the impending attack. Then she used her daggers to lock the swords so that her opponent couldn’t break free.

Struggling to free her cutlasses, the girl snapped, “Let’s go of my swords, you bitch!” Nevertheless, the Isharan refused to budge. While the girl was distracted, Cuzo crept to the side of her and lunged, causing her to lose balance. Since it looked like that fight was taken care of, Owain focused his attention on Talic’s.

The Eireneridan seemed to be holding well on his own. He would quickly lunge at the Ankan and attack so that his opponent had to focus more on running away instead of firing his bolt. That was when Owain noticed an opportunity; the boy’s back was toward him. Quickly grabbing an arrow, he aimed his bow and fired. Imagine the boy’s surprise to find an arrow piercing through his right hand. He spurned around to see a smiling Owain aiming another arrow at him.

“Let’s see how you fare with your injured hand,” the Lycian mocked. “Oh, as for me, I prefer a bow and arrows over a crossbow. Though it may not be accurate, I have more time to reload, which mean that I have a better chance of hitting you.”

“Dammit, we underestimated them,” the boy shouted at his partner. “I guess it’s time we show them our full strength.” Then he merged with the shadows and disappeared.

She nodded and did the same as well before Armita could stop her. In a blink of an eye, they appeared on the ledge above the Bartheomos members. Talic, Armita, Owain, and Cuzo observed the two warily as they anticipated their next move. Before the assassins could do anything, a burst of light unexpectedly appeared in the sky above, which blinded everyone.

After blinking several times, Owain finally was able to see that their opponents were looking at the night sky with a displeased look on their face. “It seemed like we got caught, Tory,” the boy sighed.

The girl seemed disappointed. “It looked that way. Man, Kejuta is going to kill us! Do you think she would believe us if we tell her that we were just playing with them?”

“I doubt it. Anyway, we best head back or else our punishment would be much worse.”

The girl agreed, “I guess we have no choice, do we? Hopefully we won’t get a lecture from that old fart. Hearing him talk makes me want to fall asleep.” Owain and the others could only watch with bewilderment. What on earth was going on? But then it seemed like those two had forgotten about them, which was a good thing because they were feeling exhausted. However, they were mistaken because the girl turned to face them. “It was nice fighting you, but don’t think you’re in the clear just yet. Just because you think you bested us doesn’t mean anything. We will come back one day and show you why ‘that man’ is our target alone.”

And with that, they walked down the ledge and disappeared from their sight. The Bartheomos members just stood there in stunned silence before a bewildered Armita turned to her comrades and asked, “Just who are we dealing with?”

“I don’t know,” Talic said, shaking his head, “but I do know that we were lucky. Anyway, we better head back to camp. I think Owain could do with some rest after what he went through.”

“How are you feeling?” Armita asked as she handed Owain a cup of water. She felt guilty for what happened and wanted to make it up to him by making sure that he was all right. Meanwhile, Talic and Cuzo were doing a quick search of the vicinity to ensure that those attackers didn’t follow them.

He took a sip before he answered, “I’m all right though still a little shaken.” He looked at her curiously. “By the way, how did you know that I was in trouble?”

“It was Cuzo,” she confessed. “He started acting funny and wanted us to follow him. We noticed that he wanted to go the same direction that you went and we realized that something must be amiss so we rushed over to you. It was a good thing too because it looked like you were about to get killed.”

Before she could say any more, the others came back. “It looks like the coast is clear,” Talic announced as he joined them. “Whoever the two are, they’re long gone.” Armita and Owain let out a big sigh of relief. “Can you tell us what happened before we arrived? Maybe we can figure out your attackers’ identities.”

Armita could only listen with amazement as her young comrade described the incident and his attackers’ strange powers. After he finished telling his story, they took a few minutes to digest what they learned. “Are you sure they mentioned the All-Mother’s name?” Talic finally inquired and Owain nodded. “Hmm… I wonder…”

“You have an idea who attacked me?” the Lycian asked, but Talic shrugged.

“If I remember my mother’s bedtime story correctly, she would tell my siblings and me that we better behaved or else the twin Gods of Retribution would punish us. Since they look alike and seem to know the All-Mother, I’m sure that it’s them.”

“But why would they want to hurt us?” Owain looked at his leader confusedly. “I thought the gods work together.”

“It’s because of our target,” Armita determined. “They mentioned that they were the only ones who should hunt him down, right? That must be it. They probably weren’t too happy that the All-Mother asked us to do that task and wanted us to know their displeasure. Maybe they were hoping to scare us and make us change our minds. As for the part of working together, it seemed like our assumption about that part of the gods is wrong. I guess they don’t agree with everything.”

Her young friend sighed, “I guess so. However, what are we going to do now? They did threaten to come back to finish the job if we did.”

Instead of answering, Talic just looked at him. “What do you think, Owain?”

“Me?” He blinked, clearly taken aback. “But why do you want my opinion?”

“Well, because you were the one under sieged so you knew their modus operandi better than us. Not to mention you were almost killed by them.”

“Oh.” Owain looked down as he pondered what to do. Armita glanced at Talic curiously; she knew why he asked the young man. It was because he didn’t want to force Owain to come along if he was still frightened by what happened. If he decided that he didn’t want them to finish their mission, it would be understandable since their opponents were gods themselves.

“I think we should finish our mission,” Owain announced. “I mean, Bartheomos aren’t supposed to quit no matter how difficult and challenging a task is, right? Besides, it seemed like those two are scared facing the All-Mother’s wrath so I’m sure that they won’t bother us again.”

Talic nodded with approval. “I agree with your assessment. Well then, I’m starving so let’s see what we will have today for dinner.”

That was when Owain stood up abruptly. “Wait a minute!” he exclaimed. “I didn’t have a chance to hunt! Dinner will be late tonight.”

“It’s all right,” Armita explained without thinking. “Talic was able to catch a rabbit in one of his snares so we should have dinner ready soon. Now just sit back and relax while we prepare the meal.”

“All right, but…” He looked at them confusedly. “Why did Talic have his snares out? I know that it takes him awhile to set them up and I was only gone for half an hour.”

Armita and Talic glanced at each other. Oops, it looked like their secret was out. “Well…” she coughed. “You see, Owain, it’s somewhat funny but…”

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ch4- From reading it, I immediately got the impression that the old man was Brenton and the lady in the end that met with him was either Kej. It was fun to have a senile-type old man that corrects historical texts :XD. I guess he was sent to by Kejuta to provide the group with clues in how to find the Lashival.

ch5- I had always found the twin's "child play" quite annoying, especially the girl; I was really rooting for Owain to kick an ass or 2 and show them that they've become too reliant on their magic. I hope their punishment is fitting. What was the light though? were they being tracked or...?

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
You're right about Brenton but wrong about the lady friend. ^^

As for the light, when Kejuta discovered the twins' mischief, she asked Hessin to summon a burst of light, telling them that she knew what they were doing and that they're going to be in big trouble for it. You'll find out more in the next chapter.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's Aundra! :XD

I did think it could be Hessin, but I figured he would have to be there present to use his power; didn't imagine he could summon from distance.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yep

Well, Marika did help as well. She just opened a gateway from Welvaria so that Hessin could use his powers from there (he used the moonlight).

Sorry, I just remembered what it was. :sweat Remember that fountain with the strange cloudy liquid? Well, it allowed them to interact with the world even though they're in a different dimension.

---------- Post added March 20, 2013 at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was March 10, 2013 at 04:25 PM ----------

Note: In case anyone is wondering how Adalynn arrived at Wellsborough before the others, she and her team took a short route while her brother and his comrades stopped at every towns, which took longer.

Chapter 6: A Sense of Strangeness

“What on earth were you thinking!?” The twins squirmed as they faced Kejuta’s wrath. They knew that they were going to be in trouble but didn’t expect her to be this vivid. “Luckily, I sensed that something was amiss and decided to check on them so I noticed your mischief. It’s a good thing Hessin was here to get your attention; otherwise you would have gotten them killed!”

“We were just testing them,” Torryn said flatly. The Ilmarian of Fate stopped what she was saying and turned to glower at the girl, who timidly stepped back. On the other hand, her brother still stood in his position though he did his best to avoid her glare.

“If that is your excuse for your actions, then it’s a pretty poor one,” she snarled. “I expected something better from you.”

By now, Marika or another Ilmarian would have intervened and calm Kejuta down. However, they sat silently on the bench behind her, stone-faced, as if they were condoning what was going on in the room and were not going to stop her. Weiss realized that he needed to think of something quick or else Kejuta’s punishment was going to be worse than he had anticipated.

“But you told us that you wanted us to help them with the search with the Lashival,” he interjected hastily as he expanded what his sister just said. It was a poor explanation, but that’s the only one he could use to save their hides at the moment. “Well, that was our way for doing it. Since the Lashival is around the same level as us, we thought we could see if they could handle fighting him just in case he awakens to his powers and from the look of it, they could.”

Kejuta opened her mouth to say something but closed it as she thought about what he said. “You do have a point,” she conceded, grimacing. “But the death threat?”

“An idle one. We just wanted them to be more alert to their surroundings since you did mention that the Velscendus cult will cause trouble for them,” he stated simply. Hopefully his voice sounded calm; terrified that she wouldn’t buy it. On the other hand, his sister was biting her nails. It was an old habit of hers and the only time she does so, was when extremely nervous.

Finally the Ilmarian of Fate just sighed. “What you are saying is true…” The Ilmarians of Judgment wanted to wallop with joy. She actually believed it! “… but you’re still going to get punished.”

Dammit! Oh well, it shouldn’t be that bad, right? “What will it be?” Torryn asked uneasily.

“I haven’t decided yet, but…”

“If I may intrude,” Hessin spoke up. Weiss grind his teeth. What did that old fart want?

“Whenever Hanzo or Lezak acted up, I would have them spanked. Since these two had been causing a lot of trouble lately and none of your punishments seemed to make any differences, perhaps we should do something similar.”

Torryn’s face flushed with angry humiliation. “Don’t you dare touch my ass, you old pervert!” she exclaimed as her brother stood right in front of her to protect her from that menace.

The Ilmarian of Justice scowled. “You two have a strange imagination. Why would I want to touch your…”

“Enough, all of you,” Kejuta warned. “First of all, no one is going to get spanked. Instead this will be your punishment: Hessin will accompany you in every mission until you prove yourself to be trustworthy again. It will begin tomorrow. Do you understand?”

“Yes, ma’am,” the twins said in unison. At least that crazy ex-king won’t violate them though it’s going to be a pain in the ass having him as their supervisor. Knowing him, he would extol them about the greatness of being honorable and respectful of the laws also known as boring things.

“Good, you are dismissed.”

Breathing a sigh of relief, Weiss quickly created a portal back to their hidden world, which resembled their rooms back when they lived in Ankan capital. They wanted to get out of Welvaria as quickly as possible just in case the Ilmarian of Fate changes her mind and makes their punishment more severe. As soon as the portal was big enough, Torryn quickly entered the room with Weiss following after her. One thing for sure, they didn’t want to face Kejuta’s fury ever again.

After the twins’ gateway disappeared, Kejuta let out a big sigh as she joined the others. “Honestly, I don’t know what to do with them,” she griped, sitting between Marika and Aundra. “They have been acting so rebellious lately especially after I decided to have Talic and his colleagues hunt down the Lashival instead of them.”

“It should be fine,” Aundra reassured her. “I mean, they’re at that age where they want to push their boundaries. I was like that when I was their age and I’m sure you were too.”

She shook her head. “No, I was a well-behaved and respectful girl.”

“Oh, how boring. But then I somehow expected that from you. You do remind me of my older brother now that I think about it.” Now what did that mean?

Before she could ask, Hessin asked, “So now what are we going to do? Do you think Tory and Weiss were telling the truth when they said that they won’t bother the Bartheomos members?”

“No, I doubt they would especially after what happened now,” she said, shaking her head. “They were right though. Talic and the others’ lives will be endangered in the future so I need to keep an eye on them.”

“Don’t overburden yourself, Kej. You’re not alone in this task,” Marika lectured. “We’ll help out as well. After all, you have to watch out for the Velscendus cult too.”

“She’s right,” Brenton agreed. “You can’t expect us to do nothing while you place the world on your shoulders.”

Kejuta looked at them gratefully. “Thank you. I appreciate your help,” she said. “Do you see anything in your book that could help us, Brenton?”

“Just a glimpse here and there. It looks like they won’t be in any danger in the near future, which is good. On the other hand, it seems like they’re going to get a new member soon though I don’t think Owain will be pleased about it.”

“Well, he’ll learn how to adjust,” the Ilmarian of Fate said matter-of-factly. “She’s important in their search after all. Any words from Alethea?” Everyone shook their heads so she sighed. “I hope you’re right that she’s fine, Aundra. I’m starting to get worry; she would have at least sent us a message by now. It has been nearly a year now!”

“You worry too much, Kej,” the Ilmarian of Magic scolded.

“I guess so, but that’s my job, isn’t it?” she asked wryly. “That reminds me; is Shintra abusing his powers?”

Aundra shook her head. “Not from what I’ve seen though he seems to be using it to mostly bed women.” The others shook their heads with disgust; their newest member had a voracious appetite for that kind of thing.

“I see. Continue to observe him just in case. Even though we didn’t find a link between him and that cult, I have a feeling that they are connected somehow.”

“Do you think he’s the so-called Kasama?” Hessin inquired.

Kejuta shrugged. “Unlikely since I’m still able to manipulate the Kasama’s chains, which wouldn’t be possible since Shintra was given the Gods’ Blessing so that ruled him out. Unfortunately I can’t stop him and his cult just yet since they’re one of the important factors in helping Talic and his team locate the Lashival. That isn’t the most infuriating thing though; it’s the fact that I can’t break the chains in which he would do something that would endanger others because that would make the search much easier.”

“Then we’ll have to wait until then,” Aundra replied simply. “And when that day happens, they’re going to be in for a nice surprise.”

The Ilmarian of Fate just smiled and mentally noted to herself not to anger Aundra. “Well, it’s getting late so we should get some rest. After all, tomorrow is going to be a busy day,” she said, standing up and preparing a gateway to her world. The others followed suit and after bidding each other a good night, went back to their rooms. The room was mostly empty except for a pair of bright shining green eyes hiding behind a pillar at the furthest end of the corner.

When Shintra arrived at the meeting place, the twins were already there, waiting for him. “Took you long enough,” Torryn grumbled as she jumped down from a boulder. Her brother followed behind her without saying anything, but he did nod at him. Per agreement, the twins were supposed to meet him together so that he didn’t believe that one of them was lurking in the shadows to kill him or spy on him.

“Sorry about that,” the Duermon replied though he wasn’t sincere about it. “I was preoccupied with something and lost track of time.” He glanced around the area. “But enough about that. Are you sure this area is safe?”

“Positive. This place is barren and can’t support life so Lanskas can’t use his animals to snoop on us. Not to mention we’re out in the open so no one can hide and spy on us.”

They were currently on an infertile island located several kilometers away from Kreesia. The land was arid and any plants that grew on the land were shriveled. There was no way that anyone or anything could live here. The only curious landmark was the large crater located in the middle of the small island.

Finally he said, “I believe you. With that issue cleared, let’s go back on topic: how did it go?”

“Terrible,” Torryn pouted, crossing her arms. “Kejuta caught us so we had to go back to see her. Then she yelled at us and now we have stupid Hessin babysitting us. One thing for sure, we’re not going to do that ever again. I thought she would have kill us right then and there.”

“I’m sorry about that,” the Ilmarian of Souls apologized. “To be honest, I’m surprised that you didn’t oust me as the one who asked you do it.”

“Why should we? You’re our client after all and we assassins are not supposed to reveal who hired us no matter what. Besides we are in an alliance after all, and we don’t want Kejuta to know about it,” Weiss pointed out.

Shintra nodded. That made sense. “Did Kejuta mention anything else?”

“Well, she ranted that now she has to focus more on making sure that those three Bartheomos members are safe, which means that she can’t keep an eye on the world as closely as she would like.”

“I see.” The Duermon rubbed his chin thoughtfully. So far everything that they said was accurate from what he’s seen while he was spying on the meeting. It looked like he could trust them after all.

“Anyway, what’s next?” his sister demanded. “If you want us to keep distracting Kejuta, we can do it as long as we’re not going to get in trouble.”

“It’s all right. You did your job quite well,” he reassured them and they seemed relieved with that news. “Since she’ll be preoccupied protecting with her ‘puppets’, we won’t have to worry about her catching us red-handed so we proceed to the next phase of our plan. You two will continue to pretend to work with Kejuta by doing your assassination jobs while spying on her and her cronies in the shadows. Meanwhile I’ll continue my research on the other’s powers so we can figure out their weaknesses. Once I do, we can attack them when they least expect it.”

The Ilmarians of Judgment nodded, but Weiss said, “That’s good and all, but I have one question. How do we know that you won’t be trying to find out our weak points?”

“You don’t unfortunately. However if you don’t trust me enough, you can always spy on me, but then our alliance wouldn’t work if we can’t trust each other,” he commented, pretending to leave.

“W-wait! I didn’t mean anything like that!” the boy replied hastily. “I just wanted some reassurance that you won’t backstab us. Tory and I had been betrayed before so we’re still iffy about this.”

“Understandable.” The Ilmarian of Souls nodded. “Rest assured, I’m not like your aunt and uncle. After all, we’re in this together. If any of the other Ilmarians finds out about us, all of us are doomed.”

“We’ll take your words on it then,” Torryn declared. “Anyway, we’ve been talking too long so we’re risked being caught by Kejuta or the others.”

“You’re right; we should go our separate ways,” he agreed. “Next time we meet, we’ll go to my place.”

“Got it. Until then…” The twins created a portal and disappeared back to their hidden world. Shintra watched for a little bit before going back to his world.

It was a quaint room full of books that seemed to fill the built-in bookshelves. A fireplace was in the center of the back wall and two velvet chairs were in front of it. Even though the welcoming décor beckoned him to sit and relax, Shintra continued walking. Instead he went straight to a cabinet and grabbed a small bowl. Then he pulled a flask from inside of his coat and pour the cloudy liquid into the bowl. Looking inside the bowl, he watched as it slowly revealed to him what was going on in Samara.

While the twins believed that he requested them to attack Kejuta’s “chosen ones” so she would be distracted, in actuality he had another intention. Whenever he was in Welvaria, Shintra was always curious about the strange fountain located in the middle of the room. In spite of his curiosity, he didn’t bother asking Aundra or the others about it since he knew that they wouldn’t tell him the whole story. Instead he tinkered with it whenever he was by himself. Despite his “imprisonment”, the others allowed him to roam freely in Welvaria; they probably assumed that he couldn’t do anything since he was stuck there. After several experiments, he then deduced that the former gods must have used that fountain to use their powers on Samara despite the fact that they’re in another dimension and now their successors were using it as well. If that’s true, then he could use it for personal reasons.

Sure enough, his hunch was right. Once the Ilmarian of Fate noticed the twins’ attack, she asked Hessin to use his power, informing the two assassins that she was watching them. The former Isharan ruler then used the fountain that was in the center of Welvaria to create an image of the twins’ location and created a light burst by indirectly using his power. So not only did that mysterious liquid allow them to use their powers from Welvaria, it could be used to locate a person. During that time, he watched from the shadows and observed the entire time. After Kejuta and the others left Welvaria, he crept out of his hiding place and carefully filled up his flask.

Staring at the image of Samara, he could only watch with amazement as billions of souls seemed to light up, beckoning him to use his power on them. Tempting as it was, he restrained himself and forced the liquid to try to find Alethea so he could “surprise” her. However, it just showed him a large crowd of people, which confounded him. Perhaps it didn’t work due to the Gods’ Blessing. Oh well. It was still useful. Smirking, he wondered what mischief he could do to prevent Kejuta from achieving her objective.

Lunsk 13, 2583

Several months had passed since they had accepted the mission. It was tedious work because they would stop at every village, no matter how big or small along the way, and inquired of anyone seen the person they’re looking for. Unfortunately, they hadn’t had any luck so far.

They were approaching the Lycian border with Xavia when Owain suddenly remembered something. “Are we going by Wellsborough by any chance?” he asked.

“Yes, we are,” Talic answered. “Why do you ask?”

“Well, I promised Ada that I would stop by to visit her and…”

The Eireneridan motioned him to stop. “Say no more. Of course we can stop by. Maybe they can provide some information on our target there. Not to mention I do miss a nice, hot meal and a warm bed.”

“Thanks! I’ll let Armita know about it then,” his friend said as he rushed back to the rear. Talic just shook his head and smiled. It was good that the two were on friendly terms again after the debacle in the forest.

At first Owain was upset that he could have been killed due to Armita’s mistake even though Talic pointed out that none of them could have known that he would be attacked by those crazy psychopaths. Although Owain had to admit that it was true, the young lad still refused to forgive them or talk to them. Though he would acknowledge them if they needed something or give out instructions.

Still feeling guilty about what happened, Armita was extra nice to him afterward and even offered to take over his chores, which he declined. Finally Talic just pulled her aside and told her to let the boy be, that he needed some space. When he was ready, he would talk to them. Sure enough, Owain began to talk to them though it was polite talk. By the end of the week, he was joking and chatting with them. Everything was back to normal again.

As he led them to their next destination, Talic dwelled on the information that he received from the previous village. According to which, Wellsborough was fast becoming a ghost town due to the low amount of coals being mined. In fact, several young folks had moved elsewhere to find work.

The only people left were those who were too old or stubborn to accept the fact that the town was dying. If that was true, then the residents might not be helpful with their search. On the other hand, they might know something even if the information was something minor. Besides, he did promise Owain that he could check on his sister and a promise was a promise. Hopefully nothing eventful would happen during their visit; however after the last time, who knows what would happen. The only thing he could do was to hope and pray.

Lunsk 15, 2583

They were at the outskirts of the forest when they saw their destination. Wellsborough was next to the Jaquan mountain range, and tracks that led down to a hole in the mountain could be easily seen from their distance. Wagons stood idly on the track and a few workers were wandering aimlessly through the streets.

“That must be it,” Talic determined, studying the town. “All right then, let’s go.” Everyone nodded and followed after him. During their walk toward the village, none said a word. They were too tired to say anything and just wanted to rest in an inn for once. The thoughts of homemade meals and a warm, soft bed appealed to them greatly. Just as they approached the edge of the village, Cuzo did the strangest thing.

The Kallian wolf abruptly halted and started growling dangerously. His hairs stood on end and he looked like he was ready to pounce. “What’s wrong, boy?” his owner asked worriedly as he knelt down to calm his friend. Instead Cuzo almost snapped his hand and leapt back, which startled everyone. Then he fled back to the forest in spite of Talic and the others’ shouts.

“Are you all right?” Armita asked as she jumped down from her horse and helped him up to his feet.

“I think so,” he replied, bewildered, and shook his head. “I don’t know what’s wrong with him, but that was the first time he ever tried to bite me.”

“Maybe he noticed something odd around here,” Owain suggested. He immediately looked around and got his weapon ready just in case. Those crazy twins might be back to get revenge on them.

Talic and Armita must have the same idea because they were alert as well. However, it seemed like no one else was around. “Perhaps,” the Eireneridan finally said as he relaxed once more. “Anyway, we better head into the village and introduce ourselves. But remember to be on alert for anything suspicious!”

They nodded and headed straight into Wellsborough, where they found an astonishing scene. Expecting to see a town full of listless people, they were surprised to see it full of life. In fact, the villagers seemed to be energetic and boisterous. Everyone, young and old, was scurrying around as if they had to something urgent to do and didn’t want to waste any time especially talking to the newcomers. Although they did glance at the Bartheomos members keenly; as if inspecting an animal. Whoever told them that this area was dying was absolutely wrong.

“This place is lively,” Armita muttered, eyeing the crowd dubiously.

Owain shifted his feet with discomfort. “Is it just me or something feel odd about this? I mean, what are they doing and where are they going? They’re not heading to the mines and it looks like they’re preparing to do something. Not to mention the way they’re staring at us is unnerving.”

“It’s the same for me as well. They’re up to something and they don’t seem willing to tell us.”

“Well, it’s pointless to just stand here and guess. Let’s try to find the mayor and find out what’s going on here,” Talic suggested.

Before long, they could hear someone giving out orders to the migrant crowd. “Hurry up, you idiots! We’re wasting time here! The faster we’re finish, the sooner we can catch up to those bastards!”

Owain frowned. That voice… it couldn’t be. He quickly sprinted toward the direction of the voice before anyone could stop him. Pushing the crowd aside, he was amazed to see a familiar face directing the villagers. “Adalynn!?” he exclaimed.

His sister turned around, startled. She wore a white button shirt with puffed sleeves, a red vest, a pair of red leather gloves with frills, a reddish-brown pants, and a matching pairs of boots. The odd thing was that she also had a whip tied to her belt; if he knew his sister well, she abhorred violence. She stared at him for the longest time as if trying to remember who he was. “Owain! What are you doing here?” she finally asked as the others arrived to join them.

“Checking up on you. Remember? You asked me to visit you if my team ever go through here.”

“Oh, right! Right! I can’t believe that I’ve forgotten about that.” She laughed sheepishly, combing her red gloved hand through her short hair. “I’ve been so busy with everything that I didn’t think about it.”

Looking around, they had to agree with that assessment. “We can see that,” Armita commented. “So what’s going on here? Everyone acts like something major is going to happen and seems to be hiding something.”

“Well, you see, the residents are very… private and do not really trust outsiders that much,” his sister explained. “It took my colleagues and me a long time to gain their trust and friendship. After we did, they were more willing to tell us their stories and allow us to observe them. Anyway, a few days ago, someone stole our belongings and escaped so they offered to help us retrieve them.”

“I see, but where are your professor and your other colleagues?” Talic questioned. “I don’t see them anywhere.”

“Oh, most of them left to try to catch those thieves and I was left in charge here,” she said hastily though she didn’t seem comfortable being around them anymore.

“Was that why you were giving out orders?” Owain wondered, recalling what he just saw. “It doesn’t sound like something you would do, to be honest.”

Adalynn’s face flushed with annoyance. “I didn’t have a choice in the matter, and you would be surprised by what I can do now, baby brother,” she snapped. “Anyway, I better check on how they’re doing. I’m supposed to leave soon to catch up with the others so if you don’t have any more questions, I’ll be on my way.”

“Adalynn, wait!” She stopped and looked at her brother irritably. “I didn’t mean to offend you or anything. I guess I’m not used to see you doing it,” he apologized.

Her expression softened. Taking a deep breath, she replied, “I should apologize too. I was stressed out and took out my frustration on you. Since you’re here, you’re probably looking for the mayor’s office, right?” She motioned for a young girl to come forward. “Pelly can show you the way.”

“Where are you heading by the way?” Owain asked curiously.

“To the mining office. I need to see if I need any more supplies before my team and I head out.

“Why don’t I come along? I can help out if you need anything,” he volunteered and stood next to her.

His sister started to protest but stopped herself. She examined him with a keen eye, which reminded him of the way the villagers were staring at his team earlier and started to feel uncomfortable again. “All right,” she relented. “If you insist, you can come along if it’s fine with your team.”

“We can meet at the mayor’s office then,” Talic answered. Owain nodded; it sounded like a good plan. After waving goodbyes, they went off in different directions.

The mining office wasn’t like Owain imagined it to be. For one, it was mostly a shoddy wooden building that was slightly bigger than a shed. It was built so that the back of the building was against the side of the mountain. He noticed that smoke was wafting from the chimney and that all of windows were covered with curtains. It was odd since it was nice and sunny outside. Why would they want to start a fire in this kind of weather?

They climbed up the creaky stairs and waited on the porch. Owain carefully made sure to watch his steps lest he accidentally stepped on a loose board and fell through. A few of the miners were sitting on the porch and gave a slight nod to Adalynn, who returned their gesture. She then went straight to the door and knocked; he swore that he thought the house shook when she did that.

“It’s me,” she said tersely when someone inside the office asked who it was. The person then unlocked the door and opened it slightly. Tilting her head toward the house, she told Owain, “Well then, come on in.”

As soon as he went inside the building, he had to squint his eyes to get to the mostly dark room. Despite the quaint exterior, the inside was actually spacious. It seemed like they had carved a large hole into the mountain to make it into a room. Wooden frames kept the building supported and prevented any loose rocks from falling on them. A small stove, which had a small amount of coals being heated, was located at the back of the room. Several small lanterns dangled from their hooks, which was nailed to the wooden posts.

A long wooden table took much of the space, with around twenty men seated around. Five more stood gathered around it. Most were muscular and bulky, and their skin were covered in black ash. They turned to look at him when he came in and eyed him carefully. After a brief silence, one of the men asked, “Hey, Tristé, is he a new ‘recruit’?”

New recruit? What did he mean by that? Before he could even ask, Owain heard the door locked behind him. Turning around, he saw his sister staring at him smugly but her eyes were different. They glowed with a reddish-yellow light. “Looks that way, Raxzu,” she purred and turned her focus on him. “Sorry, ‘baby brother’, but you will no longer have control of your body. One of my men is going to possess it now. Get him.”

Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ahh so this is what Shintra has been doing all this time and to be honest, when you think about it, I'm not surprised at the identity of those that have sided with him; being young, naive, wanting to please anyone who gives the a shred of compliment/approval.

And with this new way that Shintra has found to get around being followed or spied on by using the water, it'll make things very difficult for Kej and the others that are tracking the Lashival and looking to protect the world.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
I never saw it that way, but I guess what you are saying is true :XD However, they're not as naive as you may think :heh

But that is what make things more interesting! :amuse

---------- Post added March 27, 2013 at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was March 21, 2013 at 04:23 PM ----------

Chapter 7: Tristé

Before Owain could react, two of the miners grabbed his arms and slammed him hard on top of the table, which caused him to see stars. He blinked several times until his vision was focused again and found himself pinned down to the table while his sister – no, someone posing as Adalynn – and the others looked down at him with a bemused expression. “You’re not Adalynn,” he realized.

The woman rolled her eyes. “Obviously,” she replied sarcastically. “How did you guess?”

“Who are you? What did you do to my sister?” he demanded as he struggled against his captors, who refused to let go.

“If you paid attention to Ruxzo earlier, then you would have known that my name is Tristé,” she answered, playing with his sister’s hair. “As for your sister, she is fine. Don’t worry about her because I won’t let any harm come to her. You see, I’m a Possessor Duermon and currently residing in her body.”

Owain was stunned. Now that he could see “Adalynn” clearly in the light, he could see the difference now. Besides the glowing red eyes, her skin had a pale green tint color; if he remembered correctly, those were the telltale signs of demon possession. “You’re possessing my sister’s body?” She nodded, and he became furious. “Give Adalynn back her body! It’s not yours to use.”

Tristé chortled at that ridiculous request. “No can do. I need her body in order to survive. Besides if I did that, I would die.”

“Wait, are you telling me that everyone in town is possessed? Does that mean your comrades are going to try to possess Talic and Armita now?”

“That is correct. I bet that they’re probably possessed already and soon will you.”

He was boiling mad now. At first he was upset with himself for not noticing Adalynn’s odd behavior, but now he was livid that the demon who possessed her acted like there was nothing wrong with that atrocious act. “Why are you guys here?” he demanded instead. It was pointless to get angry at her since he couldn’t do anything about it. He might as well try to find more information on Tristé and her gang.

“That’s classified information so I can’t tell you,” she said with a condescending smirk. “Although you can find out after one of my colleagues take over your body.” She motioned someone to come forward, and a sickly young man with a limp came forward. “I can assure you that Verst will take great care of your body so just relax and give in.”

As soon as he heard those words, Owain began to panic. He increased his struggle, but his captors continued to have a strong, firm grip on him. Another person pried his mouth open as Verst came closer; he could see the Duermon salivating at the thought of having a healthy, young body. “Finally! I got a body that is fit as a horse! Don’t worry. It won’t hurt a bit,” he reassured Owain while smacking his lips.

The Lycian could only watch helplessly as the man opened his mouth and a pale green apparition came out of it. It dawned on him that this would be the last time he is Owain Tolbert; after that demon possesses his body, Verst would be in control. As the Possessor Duermon touched his lips, Owain squeezed his eyes shut and prayed for a miracle.

That was when it happened. The pendant around his neck began to glow. “What the…?” Before Verst could say another word, he was blasted across the room and slammed hard against the wall, which caused the room to shake violently. Everyone stood there in stunned silence as they looked around the room warily just in case the building collapsed on top of them. Luckily, it seemed like the wooden beams held the ceiling firm so they turned their attention on Owain or rather his necklace.

“That necklace is protecting him somehow,” one of the possessed miners determined. “We just need to get it off him, and everything should be fine then. Gauss, get rid of it.”

The person who was holding his mouth opened complied and went to grab the necklace. As he placed his hands on the chain, the pendant glowed again and once again, the possessed man was knocked back.

Observing the entire time, Tristé declared thoughtfully, “It’s a talisman that prevent Duermon’s possession. I wonder where he gets that. The only one I know who had a talisman besides those accursed exorcists was the late Empress Cissa Tenya-Acesta, but hers wasn’t as strong as this one.”

“Maybe he’s an exorcist? After all, there is a group of them pursuing us,” someone suggested as he eyed Owain nervously. The others murmured as they began to draw out their weapons.

She shook her head. “I doubt it. Otherwise he would have used his magic to detect my presence as well as the others’ in the town. Besides only Sendoans are exorcists, and based on his appearance, he’s not one of them.” She then looked at Owain curiously now. “Who gave you that talisman?”

He remained silent though. But then he wasn’t really paying any attention to the Duermons’ conversation. All he was thinking about was that somehow the All-Mother knew that he and the others were going to bump into some Possessor Duermons, which explained why she gifted them with those pendant necklaces. That would mean Talic and Armita would be safe as well. He mentally thanked her for her protection; it really saved his butt, that’s for sure. Now he just needed to figure out how to get out of this mess.

A sudden crack of a whip caught his attention. He tilted his head up to see an irritated Tristé holding her whip. “I’ll ask you one more time: where did you get that talisman?” she ordered.
Feeling somewhat cocky especially with his new protection, he replied, “And if I refuse?”

“Then I have to force to do this.” She walked toward him while tapping her whip in a playful manner. A sudden thought occurred in his mind and he felt the sweat rolling down his face.

She was only an arm’s length away when he shouted angrily, “Don’t you dare lay a finger on me!”

His possessed sister halted and stared at him with mouth agape. “What are you thinking!?” she scolded. Her face was flushed red with embarrassment. “First of all, don’t generalize us! Not all Possessor Duermons are rapists. Those Duermons living in the borderlands gave all of us a bad reputation! We, who live in the capital, are more refined and law-abiding than those brutes! Second, I’m in your sister’s body so it would be considered incest, which is gross.”

Now Owain felt his face was hot. “I should ask you that same question,” he retorted, mortified. “I wasn’t thinking of that. I thought you were going to flog me to death, not rape me. You’re the one with the dirty mind.”

Tristé’s face turned a brighter red, and she scowled at her comrades who snickered. “He has you there, Tristé,” one of them guffawed teasingly. “Maybe you have something on your mind that you want to tell us?”

“Sh-sh-shut up!” she stuttered. “I do not have a perverted mind! Besides, we’re going off tangent; right now we need to figure out what to do with him.” She motioned for the men holding him down to let him stand up. Owain was grateful for it since his back was starting to ache. “First, let’s calm down and think of a solution.”

“We definitely can’t let him and his friends leave. They’ll alert someone about us, and our secret mission is going to be ruined,” someone pointed out, and the others nodded with that assessment.

“Should we kill him then?” Gauss asked, but Tristé shook her head.

“Prince Lukan Cissa had ordered us not to kill any humans no matter what, and I intend to keep that promise.”

“Then we should take him prisoner?” another man suggested.

She sighed. “That sounds like the only option we have. All right, someone needs to find a strong rope and tied him up. Gauss, grab two men and take them with you to check on the others in town. If they’re fine, inform them of the plan and tell them to hurry. Those damned exorcists are probably still after us so I want to leave as quickly as possible.”

After Gauss and a few of the men left, everyone waited in tense silence. Owain checked his binding and found that his captors had tied it tightly and used difficult knots. Dammit! He needed to get out of here and check on the others. Hopefully they managed to escape and get help. If not, then they’re in great trouble. Not to mention the fact that they won’t be able to complete their mission.

Finally, after several tries, Owain gave up. He looked at his “sister”, who was looking out the window and decided on another method. “You ask me where I got this talisman,” he said aloud, which startled everyone and woke them up from their daze. “Well, I’ll tell you if you answer some of my questions.”

The demons glanced at each other uncertainly before Tristé said, “All right. It might help keep the nerves down. It’s a deal, but you can’t ask us about our mission. Agreed?” He nodded so she walked toward him until she was standing face-to-face. “Well then, what is your first question?”

“First, who are you guys? Based on what you said so far, I’m guessing you’re connected to the Idilarian royal family.”

“You’re correct. Some of us are the personal bodyguards for Prince Lukan Cissa while the rest are members of the royal army, and he requested that we go on a personal secret mission for him.”

“Since it seems like the men looks up to you, I’m guessing you’re in charge of the mission?”

She nodded. “I’m the head of his bodyguards. Next question?”

“How did you come here? I thought the Mermian Way is the only route between Ongera and Illica.”

“It used to be but not anymore. When the Aerians were decimated several centuries ago, a few of the blasts created new pathways, which my men and I used to cross over here.”
That made sense. If Owain remembered the story correctly, the Aerians were destroyed by the gods because of their arrogance. Apparently they thought they were at the same level as the gods so the All-Mother and the others decided to punish them for that obnoxious belief.

“Why did you decide to possess the people in this town? Were you trying to blend in so that it would easy for you to complete your mission?”

“No, that wasn’t our intention at all,” she denied vehemently. “We didn’t have any choice. While we were crossing the mountain passage, we were attacked by a group of exorcists. We tried to explain why we were there, but they refused to listen. Those pompous bastards believed that we’re trying to spread our ‘poison’ to Ongera and accused us of breaking the Tenya-Acesta Treaty. Typical self-righteous pricks!” She spat on the ground and the others did the same. “Anyway, we managed to delay them by causing a rockslide, but several of us got injured pretty badly. We desperately needed new bodies so I ordered a few of the men to search for the nearest village while we waited in a safe location. As soon as the scouts reached Wellsborough, they came back and told us the good news. We immediately hurried over here and seized control of the town. Unfortunately, there still weren’t enough people so we decided that those who were severely injured should have first dibs while the others waited until another potential host arrived.”

“And when did you arrive here?” he inquired.

“Around two months ago.”

He felt a lump in his throat as he began to ask softly, “Does that mean…?”

She nodded. “Yes, your sister and her colleagues arrived in this town a few days later.”

“How… how did Adalynn get possessed?” Owain didn’t want to ask that question, but he wanted to know. Was his big sister terrified? Did she put up a fight or beg for her life?

Tristé hesitated because she knew why he asked. “We didn’t possess their bodies immediately. We observed them at first to see if there was anything wrong with them and determined that they were healthy. Then we decided who will claim which body. I wanted your sister because it had been a long time since I was in a woman’s body and she seemed to be my type. She was young and seemed to have a lot of knowledge of the world, which would be useful in our mission.

“Anyway, we did what I did to you just now: we lured your sister and her research team members here one by one. Her professor was the first one and after he got possessed, he asked to see his students one at a time. I don’t think any of them noticed anything suspicious because they were too busy interviewing the villagers and thought nothing about it.

“Adalynn was one of the last people to be sent here. As soon as she entered the room, we immediately held her down on that table. At first, she was confused by what was going on and thought we were pulling a cruel joke on her. However she realized what was going on especially when she saw that everyone in the room had glowing red eyes. She began to struggle, but when she realized it was futile, she begged us to let her and the remaining of her colleagues go.

“I told her unfortunately that we could not allow that but reassured her that she was going to help a great cause. That was when I left my old body and entered her. Your sister tried to resist so I used my magic to make her more compliant. The rest of the process was a breeze after that, and when I woke up in my new body, I tested it out a bit so I can get used to it. And now, here I am. Any more questions?”

“How did you know that I was her brother?” Honestly, Owain felt devastated. If he had known that Adalynn was going to be possessed or that the All-Mother’s pendant would have prevented it, he would have given it to her the last time he saw her. Now her body was being used to do who-knows-what, and she couldn’t do anything about it.

She bit her lips, which was Adalynn’s nervous habit. “I’m not sure if I should tell you this, but when we possess a person’s body, we also absorb their memories and habits. That way, no one would notice anything odd about them and we can easily pretend to be that person. However, when we switch to another person’s body, we decide which memories and habits we will keep and discard the rest.” She glanced down at her whip, which was attached to her belt. “As you can see, I kept my memories of being an excellent whip user because I considered it beneficial for me. Now, if you’re finished, you need to answer my quest-”

The front door suddenly burst opened, and a wounded Gauss stormed into the room. “They’re here!” he shouted with fright. “Those bloody exorcists have found us! We need to leave right now! They already killed the others in town and are coming here at this very…”

Before he could even say another word, an explosion behind him occurred, which destroyed the front of the house and killed those unfortunate to stand near the area. The destruction also weakened the wooden supports, and the rocky ceiling began to shake dangerously, which caused everyone to panic. They were trapped in there; the exorcists were blocking their only exit and if they stayed in there, they would most likely be killed by the rocks above.

“Everyone, calm down!” Tristé shouted as she desperately tried to maintain order. “We need to regroup and think of a plan.”

Unfortunately, no one was paying any attention to her. Some tried to escape while others decided to fight. All of them met the same fate – they were immediately killed by the exorcists. Before long, she and Owain were the only ones left. Realizing that it was too late, she turned to Owain and cut him free. “You better stay away from the front,” she warned him. “Otherwise, those exorcists will believe that you’re one of my comrades and kill you. They don’t listen to reason. Hopefully the attacks will stop soon enough.”

Owain nodded and did as he was told. “And what are you going to do?” he inquired.

She took a deep breath. “Surrender if they allowed me to do that. If not…” She gave him a weak smile as if trying to reassure him. “Anyway, we should expect to stay here for a long time so be prepared for anything…” All of a sudden, she looked up at the ceiling with her eyes widen with alarm. “Watch out, brother!”

Before he could do anything, she wrapped her arms around him and pushed him on the ground as the rocks fell on top of them. As he drifted toward unconsciousness, Owain felt his sister’s warm body on top of him and was relieved to find out that she was still breathing. Closing his eyes, he thought he heard approaching footsteps and people’s shouts before he fell unconscious.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I rarely swear in RL too. When I do, it really surprises people. :teehee

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder about this government that sent the Duermons on this mission, their being there seemed to me to be part of Shintra's games to keep Kejuta occupied while he worked his plan.
Also I hope Owain can manage to get his sister back somehow, that last paragraph seemed to suggest that she either returns or manages to work her way back in control of her body in time to save Owain.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
You'll see~ :teehee

FYI, writing will be sporadic due to work and the fact that I'm working on another story concept. It's not fully developed, but I will give you two hints:

Mark of Dyssos

Mark of Lyficeam

Anyway, in case anyone is wondering, I had change "Head Exorcist" to "Saint". You'll see it in the updated version of The Ilmarians, which is slowly being completed. :sweatbunny

Chapter 08: Duermons and Exorcists

“How are you feeling?” Armita asked as she handed Owain a hot cup of tea.

Slowly, he took a sip so he wouldn’t burn his tongue. It was very strong and tasted a hint of raspberries. “My head is a little wobbly, but other than that, I’m fine,” he finally answered, rubbing his bandaged head. “I think I’ll feel better in a few more minutes.”

“Take your time. Talic said that we’ll probably be here for a while anyway. The exorcists want to ask us some questions first before they let us out of here.”

They currently were in the inn, where he could recuperate from his injuries. When he woke up, he found himself in bed with the Isharan keeping watch over him. Before he could ask her what happened, she was already explaining everything to him. According to her, the villagers ganged up on her and Talic and tried to possess them. Fortunately, the All-Mother’s pendants saved them though it greatly angered the possessed villagers. Since they couldn’t have them, they decided to kill them instead. Even though they were outnumbered, she and Talic put up a fight but still found themselves surrounded. When all seemed lost, they thought they heard someone chanting and suddenly a row of villagers were destroyed by a golden light.

Surprised, they looked to see some exorcists above them. Upon seeing them, the villagers tried to flee, but it was too late. A large magical circle appeared below their feet and prevented them from escaping. As it began to glow, Armita mentioned that was when they felt a “tingling sensation” on their skins. However, the others trapped alongside them were screaming like they were in excruciating pain. Then they collapsed onto the ground, unconscious.

At first, she and Talic were stumped on the bizarre outcome when they heard someone ordering them to put their hands up and not to move. That was when they saw a group of twelve exorcists coming toward them. As they walked toward them, the exorcists would casually stab the villagers through their chests. “It was sickening, Owain,” Armita commented. “Hearing them cry out as their lives left their bodies. I still shudder just remembering their wails.”

Angry, Talic confronted had them, demanding to know why they were killing the villagers. Undeterred by his outburst, they explained indifferently that the human souls that existed inside the body had been extinguished and that only the Duermon’s soul exists. They proceeded to continue their killing spree, but she and Talic pull out their weapons to stop them. She told Owain that they demanded that the exorcists imprison the possessed people instead. Their saviors didn’t seem bother by their request; they just smiled condescendingly and commented that it’s typical of the “ignorant fools across the mountain” to know nothing about demons. However, they decided to humor them for now and agreed to imprison the survivors for now.

The exorcists then inquired about their identities, so they introduced themselves as Bartheomos members and explained that they stopped at the village to rest. In turn, the Sendoans introduced themselves and stated that they were hunting some Possessor Duermons who managed to sneak across the border. Unfortunately, they were delayed for an entire two months due to a landslide. Before they could question the Bartheomos members further, they heard a loud explosion toward the direction of the mining office. One of the exorcists then bluntly stated that one of his colleagues must have already found the other demons’ location and that they were probably killing all of them right now.

That was when she remembered that Owain went with his sister to the mining office and realized that he could be in danger. Alarmed, she quickly alerted them about the situation but begged them not to hurt Adalynn because she knew that it would devastate him if anything terrible happened to her. Without waiting for their response, she and Talic ran over to the location. It was a good thing that they arrived in time because they saw the building collapsing. They screamed at the exorcists to stop because their friends were trapped in there. Then they ran over and began digging with the exorcists' help. Fortunately for Owain, the damage was mild and only a thin layer of rocks were on top of them. After pulling the siblings out, they tended to their injuries before taking Owain back to the inn so he could recuperate.

As for Adalynn, she was taken with the others to the local prison, where they were sealed inside a barrier so that they couldn’t escape. “That's why Talic isn’t here right now,” she had explained. “He doesn't trust them to be humane during their interrogation of those Duermons and decided to keep an eye on them to make sure no harm is done to them.” However, she doubted that the exorcists would care even if an outsider was there and worried that Adalynn and the others were being tortured. Upon hearing that, Owain was clearly upset and wanted to check on the prisoners himself, but Armita firmly held him down. Unfortunately, they were also under the Sendoans’ custody as well until the matter was resolved, she informed him.

“How long do you think we’ll be stuck here?” Owain wondered aloud. Just thinking about being stuck there was driving him crazy. Dammit, they have a mission to complete and they can’t finish it in this condition! Not to mention the fact that he worried about Adalynn. If anything happened to her…

The Isharan shrugged. “Talic is hoping at most a week though the way those exorcists are conducting their business, we’ll probably be here for a month,” she intoned dryly.

“What!?” He sat abruptly back up and looked at her in astonishment. “What on earth would they want to know from us that we have to be their prisoners for a whole month!?”

“It’s just procedure,” an unfamiliar voice explained amusingly. “We want to make sure that you’re not fully cooperating with the Duermons though I highly doubt it. At most, you’ll be our prisoners for… two weeks. Not to mention we believe that we can trust you since you are members of the renowned Bartheomos organization and none of you were under a Duermon’s control since you weren’t harmed by the holy magic that we used to subdue them.”

Owain tilted his head slightly to look around Armita. One of the Sendoan exorcists was standing at the doorway. She wore the traditional exorcist outfits: a dark blue-and-silver dress with flowing sleeves, a white pair of fingerless gloves, and white coif that covered the top half of her, and a dark blue veil. She wore a black sash across her waist and silver beaded prayer beads with an eight-pointed star medallion around her neck. A chain with two sharp points at the end was wrapped around her arms and a dagger was tucked into her sash. “Who are you?” he finally asked.

She walked over and removed her headpiece. A young woman with a pixie haircut looked down at him with piercing gray eyes. “My name is Prin Vahaya,” she introduced herself. “I already know your friend over here, but I don’t know your name.”

“It’s Owain Tolbert.”

“Well then, Owain Tolbert, I am one of the exorcists who saved your life. Instead of complaining about us, you should rather thank us,” she said pointedly.

He gave a side glance at Armita. No wonder she didn’t really care much about them. Based on what he’d seen so far, these exorcists were pretentious. “Err… I guess you’re right. Thank you for saving my colleagues and my lives. We would have been a goner if it weren’t for you and your men, Miss Vahaya,” he forced himself to say.

Prin smiled. “You don’t need to be formal, Mr. Tolbert. Just call me Prin. To be honest, I always hate it when people call me by my last name.”

“Well then, you can call me by my first name too.” He looked at her curiously. “Why are you here anyway?”

“To check up on you, but mostly we need your help,” she confessed.

“His help?” Armita asked suspiciously. “What do you mean by that?”

“We’re having difficulty with the Duermon possessing his sister. Despite our… methods, she refused to reveal why those barbarians are over here. Since she seemed to be close to Owain, we figured that she would be more cooperative if she sees him.”

“What if it doesn’t work?”

“Perhaps, but it’s worth a try,” the exorcist replied with a shrug. “Normally we wouldn’t ask civilians for help, but since you seem to have a connection to one of the possessed people, we thought you would be of use.”

Nevertheless, the Isharan was still persistent. “Can’t it wait? Owain is still recuperating from his injuries!”

“Unfortunately, it can’t wait.” Prin gave her a condescending smile. “Besides, I did overhear you two talking about wanting to leave this ‘imprisonment’. If you are cooperative with us, my superior, Saint Ziyagi Luan, will allow you to leave as soon as possible.”

That sealed the deal for Owain. “All right, I’ll do it,” he announced, ignoring Armita’s disapproved glower. “But I want to know her condition and promise me that you will free her from her possession after you got your answer.”

Prin hesitated. “I can’t promise you the latter, but I swear on the All-Mother that no harm had come to her. Now we’re wasting time so let’s make haste.”

Leaning on Armita for support, he nodded. “We’re ready when you are. Show us the way, Prin.”

They mostly walked in silence as they passed other exorcists, who were patrolling the area. Though, they had to stop once in a while so Owain could rest. Even though Prin said that the matter was urgent, she allowed them to take a break every few minutes and waited patiently with them. “Take your time. We don’t want you to faint. If you’re feeling dizzy, let us know,” she told him.

“Thanks.” He paused for a moment and then added, “To be honest, I thought you were a prick at first.”

Instead of being offended, the Sendoan just chuckled. “We exorcists get that a lot so we got used to it. After hunting possessed humans, we got jaded and distrustful of other humans because we’re afraid that the people we called family and friends may have their identities taken over by a malicious spirit one day. However, that’s the cost of doing our job.”

“If you knew that, why did you become an exorcist?” Armita asked curiously.

“It’s because of my superior,” Prin explained. Her eyes had a faraway look in them as she reminisced. “When I was nine years old, one of my cousins got possessed by a Duermon, and the people in my village were at wit’s end on what to do because the local exorcist couldn’t exorcise the demon out of her body. Lucky St. Luan was nearby so we immediately summoned him. As soon as he came into my cousin’s room, he instantaneously knew what was wrong. ‘We’re dealing with a very powerful Duermon. That’s why you couldn’t exorcise him with those incantations,’ was his exact words when he was discussing the situation with the exorcist. ‘We need to use a high level of exorcism spell to extract the demon. Unfortunately it’s beyond your expertise so I’ll take over the operation. Pay attention and observe.’

“I watched with amazement as he chanted a complex incantation and the Duermon came out of her body. Before it could escape, St. Luan stabbed it with a dagger hidden inside his sleeves. ‘Your cousin is freed. She is strong willed and because of that, she refused to succumb to the demon’s will. She will be all right but will need bed rest for the next few days to regain her strength,’ he told my uncle and aunt, who wept with joy. Everyone in the village celebrated and thanked that man. They insisted that he stayed for the night, but he declined, saying that he was needed elsewhere.

“As he was taking his leave, I noticed a suspicious man lurking behind the bushes close by. When I noticed the glowing red eyes and pale green skin, I knew immediately what his intention was. Terrified, I shouted out a warning and muttered something without realizing it. The next thing I knew, St. Luan was placing his hands on my shoulders and demanding how I knew that incantation. I was stumped by his actions and looked behind him to see the possessed man unconscious on the ground. Relieved, I asked if my warning saved him, but he denied it. He then told me that I saved his life by saying an exorcism spell. Apparently, I chanted the same incantation that he used on my cousin to expel the demon from his would-be killer.

“Impressed, he offered me a chance to be his student. I was too stunned by his request that I couldn’t speak so my father answered for me. He told St. Luan that he and his family would be honored and boasted that I had a perfect memory, which was why I was able to chant the spell correctly. My superior agreed and then turned to me, proclaiming that I had the talent to be an exceptional exorcist and if I do my best, I may become the youngest Saint. My face was red hot with embarrassment as a result, but I softly promised him that I wouldn’t let him down.

“Ever since that day, I have been training under him. I had learned so much and improved my skills. I got to travel all over Sendoa and see the impact the exorcists have on everyday lives. True, it can be lonely, but seeing people’s grateful faces after we saved their loved ones makes it worth it.”

After she finished, Owain commented, “You really like your superior.”

She nodded. “He’s like a second father to me. Even though he seems cold and strict, he’s actually very kind and helpful. Whenever I make a mistake, he doesn’t yell at me or belittle me. The best part about him is that he always treats me like an equal. But then he’s always like that to everyone – except for Duermons, of course.”

“Huh, sounds like a swell guy.”

“Yes, he is. If anything happens to him, I’ll be the first one to avenge him.” A suddenly embarrassed Prin looked down and then cleared her throat. “Are you ready to go? We’re close to our destination so you can rest as soon as we get there.”

They arrived at the prison a few minutes later. The exorcists guarding the entrance allowed them through as soon as they saw them so they quickly entered the well-lit building. Prin led them down the hallway and to the third door to the left. A talisman was attached to the door knob. “It’s to ensure that no Duermons can leave the room in case any of them manages to escape,” she explained. Opening the door, she peeked her head in and announced, “St. Luan, they’re here.”

“Send them in!” The voice reminded Owain of a bear slumbering in his cave – a dangerous bear to be exact. Prin gestured them to enter the room so they complied.

Unlike the brightly-lit hallway, the room was dim so Owain and Armita had to squint until they got used to their new surroundings. Two exorcists were guarding the entrance. Another pair of exorcists stood near the prison, where they could keep up the barrier preventing their prisoners from escaping. Talic was there too, and he gave them a withering look. It was obvious that he wasn’t thrilled that Owain was there especially due to his injury. Next to him was an exorcist, who looked like to be in his sixties and had salt-and-pepper hair. However, his uniform was more extravagant; the sleeves had elaborate design made out of gold threads and his prayer beads were made out of gold and ruby. He also wore a gold stole over his dark blue-and-white robe. A stern expression was vividly on his face as he stared down at them. “You’re late,” St. Luan grumbled.

“Sorry, sir,” Prin replied and bowed her head servilely. “He was still recuperating from his injuries so we took breaks intermittently until he was feeling better.”

Her superior just grunted as he turned away, and Owain felt an instant dislike toward that man. He didn’t care how much Prin praised the man; St. Luan was an asshole in his opinion. “Bring him over here. Maybe the Duermon will be more willing to open its tongue if it believes that it can trick him into believing that it is his sister.”

Armita watched as Prin led Owain to one of the jail cells before she walked over to stand next to Talic. “I thought I told you not to bring him over here!” he hissed.

“Like I could stop him,” she whispered, aggravated. “Once that girl promised him to let him see Adalynn and get us out of here, he took the bait.”

Talic gave her a side glance. “Do you trust her?”

“Not sure, but one thing is for sure, I don’t trust that Saint. He seems like the type who would anything in his power to get whatever he wants no matter the cost.”

Suddenly, they heard Owain’s shouting angrily, “What the hell did you do to my sister!?” Worried, the Isharan rushed over to him and gasped at the sight. His sister was bound tightly to a chair that the ropes restraining her cut into her skin. She was also covered with bruises and had a black eye. He turned to glare at a guilt stricken Prin. “You said that nothing bad came to her!”

Before she could say anything, her superior interrupted, “Don’t be too brash, boy. She did tell you the truth; your ‘sister’ wasn’t harmed when she was here. Do you have the audacity to believe that we would just sit here and twiddle our thumbs waiting for you? We probably would have got our information if your friend over there stopped us from doing more; otherwise we wouldn’t need you.”

“Ha! You think I would be more willing to spill my mission just because he’s here!?” They turned their attention to the cell, where the possessed Adalynn glared at them defiantly. “Just because I’m in his sister’s body doesn’t mean a thing to me!”

St. Luan strolled over to her before anyone could stop him and slapped her across her face, which caused her chair to tip over slightly. “Not a word from you, demon!” he snarled.

She glowered at him. “As if I’m afraid of you,” she taunted and spat on him. His face was flushed with anger and he was about to hit her again when Owain grabbed his arm.

“Don’t you dare lay a hand on her,” he warned. “Let me speak to her. I might be able to convince her to talk.”

Armita noted the enrage look on that man’s face as he looked down on her comrade so she subtlety got out her weapons, but the exorcist slowly calmed down. Lowering his hand, he took a deep breath as he smoothed the front of his robe. “You better do a good job, boy,” he informed him and walked away with a huff. She breathed a sigh of relief and placed her weapons back.

Nodding, Owain turned his attention to his sister and said, “Hello, Tristé. I just wanted to thank you for protecting me back there.”

She arched her eyebrows. “Is that all? If that’s your plan to force me to reveal my secrets, then you really need to work on your interrogation skills.”

“That’s not my intention at all. I appreciate what you did because it makes me believe that my sister is still alive inside there and forced you to save my life. If so, there is still time to save her.” He narrowed his eyes as he continued, “I know you’re in there, Ada. Fight her and come back to us. I know you’re strong enough to do it.”

Tristé laughed. “What a wishful thinking! You’re such a naïve boy, Owain. Have you actually forgotten what I told you? I just retained your sister’s memories so maybe her sisterly love for you influenced me, but make no mistake, I won’t do it again.”

“I doubt it. Something tells me that you would do it again.”

Armita watched the interaction with great interest. Hmm… so it seemed like a part of Adalynn was still conscious if Owain’s assumption was right. On the other hand, the demon did have a point; she absorbed her host’s memories, which could be used against him. She understood why he would desperately like to believe that his sister was still alive, but based on what the exorcists told Talic and her, Adalynn Tolbert was long dead.

“This is getting us nowhere!” St. Luan bristled. “All he’s doing is trying to convince himself that his sister isn’t dead! I knew that he would be useless!” Pushing Owain aside, he grabbed Tristé by the collar and demanded, “Tell us what your demon lord is planning or else!”

“Or else what?” she dared him.

Smirking, he grabbed Owain by the arm and held a knife against his throat. Stunned, Armita took a step toward him, but Prin stopped her. The exorcist shook her head though she looked uneasy at the situation so the Isharan reluctantly stepped down. She also glimpsed a furious Talic being restrained as well. “Let see if his ‘theory’ is right. If his sister’s soul is truly there, she would make sure that no harm would come to him. Shall we then?”

A flash of horror appeared on Tristé’s face but she quickly hid it. She retorted, “Instead of questioning me, you should be hunting down the Kasama and his hooligans!”

Armita felt her heart stopped. The Kasama? Was that the reason the Duermons had crossed the border? Before she could even ask her question, a loud explosion shook the entire building. “What was that!?” one of the exorcists cried.

Tristé smirked at them. “That must be my men,” she replied calmly. “It looked like the search party just returned from their scouting mission. It seems they’re going to put up a fight to ensure that my and the others’ rescue. Most likely they have the town surrounded so let’s see how you humans can escape from this one.”