Discussion - The Likable Sociopath Trope and MHA villains | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Likable Sociopath Trope and MHA villains

avietar

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
There is often discussion on the villains in My Hero Academia and why people think they are likable (or not). This video entitled 'The Likable Sociopath Trope, explained' goes into why sociopathic characters appeal to audiences, even though their actions are bad.

I thought this video is rather relevant to many MHA villains and accurately describes the appeal of characters like Touya/Dabi, Shigaraki, Toga, Stain, etcetera, using examples from popular movies and series like Dexter, Hannibal, You, Joker, and more.

Give it a watch and let's discuss :)

If you don't want to watch the whole video, you can also watch the start (0:00-2:22) and the conclusion (21:50-23:00).

Ps. The Joker scene from 9:10-9:15 is so relevant to Touya right now, hahah. "I don't want anything from you. Maybe a little bit of warmth. Maybe a hug, DAD! How about just a little bit of fucking decency!?" Actually the whole piece from 8:50 until 9:35 is relevant to Touya. This part delves into the Joker, that obviously inspired Touya / Dabi in part (we even got to see Touya's interpretation of the joker dance a few chapters back).

Last edited:

Allan_Panda

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Not to belittle your thread, on the contrary as I believe that is good discussion, I'm gonna paste a part of another post here. This is not, again, to not show respect but just because.... Writing the same idea twice kinda sucks.
---
Bad people are not just bad people. They happen, most often, for a reason. This is a theme in MHA.
HOWEVER, bad actions are not necessarily redeemable. People need to atone for their actions, or even pay for them, but that doesn't mean that we can allow ourselves to let go of their horrible negative actions - from a certain point. Lesser things are redeemable like Bakugo's bullying (Yeah, I went there. I know bullying sucks, and we tend to not allow ourselves to accept these people for nothing short of monsters, but if you don't pass a certain point it certainly is redeemable. CHILD AND FAMILY ABUSE ISN'T)
Being able to sympathize with our society's "villains" (Fictional or not) is one of the major steps that are necessary into stopping them from developing further and further - another major theme in MHA. Just think of how easy society could've stopped Shigi or Twice from happening.

animeangryfan4

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I for one do not feel so much sympathy to teh sociopaths of MHA. Leas tof all to Shigaraki or even to Dabi. What they have become do not justyf the tragedy they have done. They may make intresting villian but I thik the reason I cannot stand them is cause thier ego, selfishness and general inabilty to be the same as they ever did.
I for one feel that the actions of the villians shoul dnot make them redeemable. However I still belive a true hero save everyone, even a villian. I have always disliked Baku bullying and I still have nto forgiving that from him, I feel he is not meant to be a Likeable Hero. Socipaths that are Evil and yet Intresting usally becomes likeable to a lot of people but the actions they do, play with what they have done.
Dabis tape and confessions jsut further shows that for all his tragedy, he embrace it in order to destroy peoples moral support and body suipport. That symbolises everything of an unforgiving villain to me, a pettiness that in the end is stronger then his tragedy and everythingt hat left up to it.
Shigaraki has not changed since chidlhood. With the latest chapter even implying he wants to be saved it may be that for all of Shigarkis emptiness and egneral desturction, he does not even care if he lives or dies. In that way, i can feel more for a villian. But I do nto knwo yet if that is the case of Shigarki. His general personality has always have been that of an unstable child that refuse to find peace and move on, nothing is more dangerous as a villian then that. Just as All For One wanted.
AFO is for some reason cool. maybe cause he talks in a "boku" to me but it is clear he has no emptaty. for that reason I feel he should be more unforgiveabel then either Dabi or Shigarki. And strngely it does not feel that way. Maybe cause he is written to be a diffrent socitoath then them, someone more then human. A God-complex psychopath that embraces everything bad just because.

JazzMazz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I dislike blaming stuff necessarily on mental illness, especially in fictional shows and series.

I think that MHA humanizes its antagonists to make them more fleshed out and fully rounded characters, as opposed to just ambiguous forces of evil(for the most part).

JulesMHA

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi every one,

I have to complete a quizz on MHA before June the 26th, but I have some trouble with one question.
It is asked "how many members are in the Super vilain league: 5, 8, 12 or 20"?

I find this question tricky as this number seems to evolve with the story... would you have an idea for the right answer?

Thank you so much in advance...

JazzMazz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi every one,

I have to complete a quizz on MHA before June the 26th, but I have some trouble with one question.
It is asked "how many members are in the Super vilain league: 5, 8, 12 or 20"?

I find this question tricky as this number seems to evolve with the story... would you have an idea for the right answer?

Thank you so much in advance...
Just go with 5 I guess.

JulesMHA

Reaction score
Country
France
Thank you Jazzman,
you mean the 5 founders? The others wouldn't be part of the alliance, literlaly speaking?

JazzMazz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thank you Jazzman,
you mean the 5 founders? The others wouldn't be part of the alliance, literlaly speaking?
I don't know. You could probably literally just look it up on the wiki.

JulesMHA

Reaction score
Country
France
I did... differents aswers every time... depending on the chronology

cracker

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I did... differents aswers every time... depending on the chronology
Since the question is vague go with in assumption that it means currently. Is the quizz anime based? If it is, base it off the current season 5 lineup....if it's manga that base it of the members in the manga currently

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
What the villains of the manga lack, in my opinion, is the context in which they act ... ok basically they all hate the society they live in, but honestly to me it doesn't seem that this society sucks so much, in short, most of the characters does not seem to have who knows what problems, there is still general well-being. For this reason, the fact that the author tries to turn them into victims leaves me perplexed.

Toga needs a few drops of blood to activate her Quirk, she doesn't need to bleed her victims, so she can't complain about not being understood if she behaves like a murderous psychopath, Twice will also be half mad, but she used her quirk for committing crimes, Dabi has his reasons to hate his father, but he is an unscrupulous person who exploits people and does not mind killing them even taking pleasure in doing it, Shigaraki only because people have not helped him if the takes with the whole humanity, Stain talks so much about real heroes and then takes it out with Iida's brother that a hero who has always saved people, and in any case he is nobody to decide if one is or is not a hero and whether or not he deserves to die ....

whateva

Reaction score
Country
United States
None of the characters come off as likeable villains imo, except for Twice who was quite likeable. They have stories you can sympathize with initially, but their actions do a really good job at killing any sort of sympathy I have. Dabi, imo. is probably the most egregious because he's essentially throwing a tantrum and hurting civilians because his parents were neglectful and didn't train him to become a superhero. When you consider that he had three siblings that dealt with the same/similar neglect, and one that arguably got abused more than he did, he just comes off as an entitled brat. We're told he has flames that can surpass Endeavor's, so even if he didn't go to a school like UA, he certainly would have been able to become a hero at some point. Bakugo's existence also doesn't help his case.

Stain, I think had that potential to be a likeable sociopath, but like the previous poster mentioned, he attacks a hero that wasn't in the business for fame and glory. I don't think the villains here are necessarily bad villains, but I personally can't find any way to look at their actions and say "I understand where they're coming from, even if their actions are wrong". They're certainly entertaining, but their actions have no grey areas imo.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
What the villains of the manga lack, in my opinion, is the context in which they act ... ok basically they all hate the society they live in, but honestly to me it doesn't seem that this society sucks so much, in short, most of the characters does not seem to have who knows what problems, there is still general well-being. For this reason, the fact that the author tries to turn them into victims leaves me perplexed.

Toga needs a few drops of blood to activate her Quirk, she doesn't need to bleed her victims, so she can't complain about not being understood if she behaves like a murderous psychopath, Twice will also be half mad, but she used her quirk for committing crimes, Dabi has his reasons to hate his father, but he is an unscrupulous person who exploits people and does not mind killing them even taking pleasure in doing it, Shigaraki only because people have not helped him if the takes with the whole humanity, Stain talks so much about real heroes and then takes it out with Iida's brother that a hero who has always saved people, and in any case he is nobody to decide if one is or is not a hero and whether or not he deserves to die ....
That's pretty much my gripe as well. Overall society seems to be fairly functional in the series and the villains are by all appearances plain old lunatics. To add a few points to what you mention:

Toga: The point here is that Toga IS murderous psychopath. An unapologetic one at that. In story she has simply done what gives her happiness. Toga is not tragic in the sense that society has mistreated or harmed her. She is tragic in the sense that she is free to roam around without anyone being really able to stop her from hurting others. She needs to be taken in and placed in a mental health institution where she can be given the mental healthcare she needs and prevented from... "liking" others. Toga isn't a product of a shitty society, she is just a mentally ill girl who couldn't know better even if she tried.

Twice is, well, insane. His insanity came about in a different way from toga's but still. In the end this is also someone who needed to be captured and thrown in a mental institution to get real medical care and prevent him from harming himself and others.

Dabi... Welp, his gripes with his father have nothing to do with society at large. Dabi isn't a product of society. Dabi is a victim of his father and society had no clue about it for a long time. All society saw was arguably the most competent hero around.

Shigaraki is a murky case. Mostly because he was likely tampered with by AFO.

Stain is pretty much a lunatic as well. He was framed as a semantics nazi. Of course, now that he is free we will likely get some nonsense about how his view actually hits into what is going on now.

Spinner... is probably the worst one in this regard. First he was framed as a stain ideologist. And.. that's it. Through the story he is shown as being among the more reasonable league members. But his gripe with society was not adequately explained. We learned from materials outside the manga that he experienced racism.. Even though the manga has never actually shown any monstrous looking person experiencing anything even remotely close to racism. Until the giraffe lady a few chapters back but this was hundreds of chapters too late for this context to be useful for some events and even this while society was turned by uncontrollable lunatics into a dystopian hellhole.

Overall the story ultimately fails to provide real context regarding why society in BNHA verse is so bad. We are told this by people the story gives us zero reason to sympathize with or databooks outside the manga.

paulbee

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess the only thing I can say about the Likeable sociopath is that I am not buy any of it. The author fails by dwelling too heavily on a trope that makes little sense and can't really win for a reasonable/mature minded reader. It makes me wonder if the author herself is not slightly off balance.

Besides within the inside a comic book, or inside some really wonky humor magazine, there isn't any place that would not advocate to lock these guys up irrespective of their motives or past tragedies in life.

I wonder how to characterize this magazine, is it still a Shonen?

avietar

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I guess the only thing I can say about the Likeable sociopath is that I am not buy any of it. The author fails by dwelling too heavily on a trope that makes little sense and can't really win for a reasonable/mature minded reader. It makes me wonder if the author herself is not slightly off balance.
Do you mean the maker of the video? Or authors who use the likeable sociopath in their fiction? I'm not sure I understand who you are referring to.

Ilyia

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Well... a character such as Hannibal Lector is likeable because he is smarter than everyone else and follow his own strict set of codes. This however is not why a character such as Himiko Toga is likeable. She is likeable because she is actually correct "to a degree" and the society she lives in is so wrong and the heroes are unlikable. As readers we get it shoved into our faces that the heroes are good because whatever hints Hori gives us that there are bad elements in the hero society, he glosses over it and never truly highlight the obvious things about his man heroes of Class A that is bad. As an example the way Lemillion acts when dealing with what he considers "villains" and how he normally acts really shows us that he is a pretty despicable person... yet nobody in the actual story ever address this and think him maiming people is actually normal an okay. It is okay because he does it to people he call villains. So basically while they commit horrendous acts, the villains in BnHA become more likeable because how of how the comic is trying to gloss over the obvious issues with the "heroes". Then when watching the anime and noticing how this becomes even more apparent when the anime even removes important segments that showed the heroes doing bad things while at the same time removed things that made the villains look better... well then as a result you like the villains even more... not because that they are super good people... but because they are being treated unfairly by the writing itself.

JazzMazz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well... a character such as Hannibal Lector is likeable because he is smarter than everyone else and follow his own strict set of codes. This however is not why a character such as Himiko Toga is likeable. She is likeable because she is actually correct "to a degree" and the society she lives in is so wrong and the heroes are unlikable. As readers we get it shoved into our faces that the heroes are good because whatever hints Hori gives us that there are bad elements in the hero society, he glosses over it and never truly highlight the obvious things about his man heroes of Class A that is bad. As an example the way Lemillion acts when dealing with what he considers "villains" and how he normally acts really shows us that he is a pretty despicable person... yet nobody in the actual story ever address this and think him maiming people is actually normal an okay. It is okay because he does it to people he call villains. So basically while they commit horrendous acts, the villains in BnHA become more likeable because how of how the comic is trying to gloss over the obvious issues with the "heroes". Then when watching the anime and noticing how this becomes even more apparent when the anime even removes important segments that showed the heroes doing bad things while at the same time removed things that made the villains look better... well then as a result you like the villains even more... not because that they are super good people... but because they are being treated unfairly by the writing itself.
What Mirio does in the story is okay because the people he does it to are actively trying and intending to kill him and wanting to continue to abuse a little girl for their own benefit. He doesn't act brashly or violently initially. The yakuza attack first. His not terribly arrogant either. Most of the yakuza goons are 2D at best, but Overhaul is three dimenonsional character with established motivations.

While Mirio is actively trying to protect that little girl from danger.

I don't see how Mirio's treatment of Overhaul and his underlings is at all despicable. Also, Mirio doesn't maim anyone(maiming someone is to permanently injure them in some way). Its actually highlighted that Mirio fights in a way that is fairly controlled and he knows how to employ self restraint while fighting.

What makes a character likeable to readers are endearing qualities or personality traits. This could be from superficial things to their character design to possessing positive character traits or motivations that could be construed as positive. I personally don't find Toga particularly endearing outside of her connection to Twice, but thats just me. I don't think the story generates sympathy for Toga's attitude around love despite it showing it to be an integral part of her character, which is a good thing, because Toga's idea of love is intrinsically linked killing others. Toga's main likeability comes from her desire to self express, which is a relatable character motivation.

There are heroes that do commit horrendous actions, and they end up being some of the most likeable in the series due to the other positive qualities they possess which acknowledge and act in response to the actions they committed. Endeavour and Hawks are the foremost examples. Endeavour is someone who blatantly shown to be a bad person, but his shift in view point and real efforts to change as well as genuine heroism ultimately make him a likeable character. Hawks is a character who is pitted against Twice. In the confrontation, Twice is the more "likeable" of the two due to possessing a more selfless and deeply personal motivation even if Hawks is in "the right". However, despite Hawks killing Twice, Hawk's regret over that as well as learning about the situations surrounding his circumstances(as well as his personality) make him a likeable character.

Ilyia

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
What Mirio does in the story is okay because the people he does it to are actively trying and intending to kill him and wanting to continue to abuse a little girl for their own benefit.
That i what I said... he treats them as if they are videogame characters. He had already demonstrated that he could easily take down a person by simply punching them in the stomach... so there was never any need to knock out their teeth. What I am saying is that he knocked out their teeth on purpose because he wanted too. It was unnecessary violence and this is why he is a bad person.
Mirio doesn't maim anyone(maiming someone is to permanently injure them in some way). Its actually highlighted that Mirio fights in a way that is fairly controlled and he knows how to employ self restraint while fighting.
Deliberately knocking out people's teeth doesn't maim them? But again, this was my whole point... the manga highlighted that the reason Mirio was in the top three was because of how hard he had worked to be in perfect sync with his quirk. The reason his quirk was so effective was because Mirio was always on total control of what he was doing. This is why he has no excuse here.
I personally don't find Toga particularly endearing outside of her connection to Twice, but thats just me.
I never really understood the obsession people had with Himiko and Jin though. What it showed us was that Himiko was actually a nice and caring person. She was nice to everyone in the league, it was just that Jin was the type of guy that would be your best friend if you were kind to him.
I don't think the story generates sympathy for Toga's attitude around love despite it showing it to be an integral part of her character, which is a good thing, because Toga's idea of love is intrinsically linked killing others. Toga's main likeability comes from her desire to self express, which is a relatable character motivation.
No, you can like a character even if they are pure evil. In the end, Himiko is broken... but what makes you feels sad for her isn't that there is something wrong in her head or even that she is actually a good person... The thing that garners sympathies is the situation and the people around her. In her case all her problems could have easily been avoided, even after she had attacked that boy at her school it wasn't to late. She could simply have been given some real therapy since nobody had actually died yet. That is why people sympathize with her... because at heart she is a really nice person that became they way she is because of circumstances around her.
There are heroes that do commit horrendous actions, and they end up being some of the most likeable in the series due to the other positive qualities they possess which acknowledge and act in response to the actions they committed.
No, this is wrong. People like Hawks because they think he is hot, and that is all there is to it. He doesn't have a single redeeming quality in his bones. He is the epitome of hypocrisy. You wouldn't need to change a single thing about him if you decided you to make him a villain. As for Endeavor... while he kills Noumo... his way of thinking is actually closer to that of a real hero. So overall he doesn't have as many bad traits as the other main heroes in the story.
Endeavor is someone who blatantly shown to be a bad person, but his shift in view point and real efforts to change as well as genuine heroism ultimately make him a likeable character.
When was Endeavor ever shown to be a bad person? Every complaint I have seen about him is fanon. The guy wanted to be the best and when he couldn't achieve that goal put his hopes in his children. I wouldn't give him any father of the year awards, but I wouldn't call him bad at parenting either. He trained his children, and nothing of what I have seen was actually abusive. He acted like any other martial arts trained do in real life. Having high expectations on your children does not make you a bad person, it just shows that you believe in them. The so called slap is also understandable. His wife became hysteric and he needed for her to calm down. In retrospect this was the wrong thing to do, but when a person starts acting unstable you need to quickly diffuse the situation. The flashback with Dabi highlighted all of this. Endeavor was proud of his children but when he noticed that training them would become dangerous for them, he immediately stopped doing so. If he had been a bad person then he would have continued to train them.
Hawks is a character who is pitted against Twice. In the confrontation, Twice is the more "likeable" of the two due to possessing a more selfless and deeply personal motivation even if Hawks is in "the right". However, despite Hawks killing Twice, Hawk's regret over that as well as learning about the situations surrounding his circumstances(as well as his personality) make him a likeable character.
Go read the manga again. Hawks didn't regret anything, the only thing that upset him was that his actions were recorded. Hawks could have easily sneaked in some sleeping powder and taken out Jin, in fact instead of just standing there he could have just walked up to him and knocked him out. Hawks wanted to kill Jin. He was just looking for an excuse to do so. But even if you don't believe that, just look at his motivation and his little speech afterwards. Hawks wants to create a world where heroes don't have to work... but such a world can only be achieved if you remove free will. Hawks is just the most obvious example of the heroes being rotten, but what really make the heroes so despicable is that they are all sheep. When they grow up they do so watching shows about heroes on television like we are watching cartoons. Because of this there will always be a disconnect between reality and fiction.

JazzMazz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That i what I said... he treats them as if they are videogame characters. He had already demonstrated that he could easily take down a person by simply punching them in the stomach... so there was never any need to knock out their teeth. What I am saying is that he knocked out their teeth on purpose because he wanted too. It was unnecessary violence and this is why he is a bad person.
He was going easy on 1A when he fought them and they recovered incredibly quickly.

He had no reason to go easy on the bullets who were actively trying to kill him, so he went for more effective blows on the jaw. Punching a slack jaw is an incredibly viable way of knocking someone out.

Deliberately knocking out people's teeth doesn't maim them? But again, this was my whole point... the manga highlighted that the reason Mirio was in the top three was because of how hard he had worked to be in perfect sync with his quirk. The reason his quirk was so effective was because Mirio was always on total control of what he was doing. This is why he has no excuse here.
This is hero society, knocking out their teeth is not something I would think unfixable.

And if anything, the manga highlights that Mirio's beat down wasn't strong enough, because Nemoto actually eventually recovered from the attacks.

Also, its worth noting that Mirio was also effected by the drunkeness quirk.

I never really understood the obsession people had with Himiko and Jin though. What it showed us was that Himiko was actually a nice and caring person. She was nice to everyone in the league, it was just that Jin was the type of guy that would be your best friend if you were kind to him.
Yeah. It highlighted that Toga had the potential to be a kind person in the right circumstances which I think did a good job at appropriately humanizing a character that before that point had been mostly sinister.
No, you can like a character even if they are pure evil. In the end, Himiko is broken... but what makes you feels sad for her isn't that there is something wrong in her head or even that she is actually a good person... The thing that garners sympathies is the situation and the people around her. In her case all her problems could have easily been avoided, even after she had attacked that boy at her school it wasn't to late. She could simply have been given some real therapy since nobody had actually died yet. That is why people sympathize with her... because at heart she is a really nice person that became they way she is because of circumstances around her.
Yeah, but you can like a character because they are evil for possessing attributes like charisma, power, drive, being a shit lord(just a more crass way of saying playful), all of which being admirable or at least endearing qualities if presented in the right way.

Most people aren't endeared to characters for being evil for evils sake, they usually have other factors that make how they are evil enjoyable.

The thing is, Toga isn't really that sympathetic outside of connection to Jin, and that last bit which highlighted her parents rejecting her after she committed her first stabby stab.

Her parents rejecting her was pretty scummy, but I don't think Toga's example is exactly unique among the other characters, many of whom also having similar backgrounds.

I think after that the situation became untennable, especially since she fled the scene. There was no opportunity for anyone to help her past that point because she went into deep hiding.

Thats the thing. Toga isn't a terribly nice person at heart. She is a very disturbed person. She has the potential to be nice to others, but that doesn't change the fact that on a whole she isn't nice to others and doesn't care about being nice to others. She has very little regard for most human life and ultimately takes a predatory attitude towards the people she is attracted to.

To prove my point, just imagine that Toga's gender was reversed but she had the same actions. They would immediately speak more to that of someone with messed up predatory tendencies than a "nice person".

You could argue how much her circumstances exacerbated her desires, but by the time she fled, she'd already held herself to the conviction that her drinking the blood of her victims till they die was a perfectly permissible action because it made her personally feel good.

No, this is wrong. People like Hawks because they think he is hot, and that is all there is to it. He doesn't have a single redeeming quality in his bones. He is the epitome of hypocrisy. You wouldn't need to change a single thing about him if you decided you to make him a villain. As for Endeavor... while he kills Noumo... his way of thinking is actually closer to that of a real hero. So overall he doesn't have as many bad traits as the other main heroes in the story.
I could easily flip this on its head and say that the only thing people like about Toga is the fact she's a yandere cute high school girl type character, but I'm not that lowly.

Hawks is a generally more interesting character than Toga because he asserts significantly more agency(which is ironic because he is the guy who is supposed to be the government stooge). The story set up a very interesting moral conundrum which questioned how far Hawks would go, with it ultimately being revealed that Hawks isn't some ruthless government agent, but someone with some actual heart to him. He only ended up killing Twice under extreme duress.

Ultimately, Hawks is someone who deeply cares about other people, with his background informing why he wants to help others.

This is totally contrary to a villain. Yes, Hawks is pragmatic, but at the end of the day, he is still a sentimental hero. One that has done bad things, but an optimist with a positive attitude towards others nonetheless.

Killing Nomu, considering what they are, is hardly a crime. Especially since most of them can't be contained and they are technically just corpses.

And Endeavour has far more negative traits than Hawks. For the longest time he was grumpy anti social, and just down right cruel and selfish to the point of being an abusive asshole who couldn't see past his own ambitions.

Hawks was a pragmatist, but he wasn't completely cold hearted. He has a lot of charm to him as well in terms of his personality. He bounces off other characters in really fun ways.

He has far more redeeming qualities as a person than Endeavour(to begin with). What ultimately saves Endeavour is his desire to improve himself as a person.
When was Endeavor ever shown to be a bad person? Every complaint I have seen about him is fanon. The guy wanted to be the best and when he couldn't achieve that goal put his hopes in his children. I wouldn't give him any father of the year awards, but I wouldn't call him bad at parenting either. He trained his children, and nothing of what I have seen was actually abusive. He acted like any other martial arts trained do in real life. Having high expectations on your children does not make you a bad person, it just shows that you believe in them. The so called slap is also understandable. His wife became hysteric and he needed for her to calm down. In retrospect this was the wrong thing to do, but when a person starts acting unstable you need to quickly diffuse the situation. The flashback with Dabi highlighted all of this. Endeavor was proud of his children but when he noticed that training them would become dangerous for them, he immediately stopped doing so. If he had been a bad person then he would have continued to train them.
Okay wtf.

When I was entering this conversation I did not expect to read someone justifying Endeavour beating up their wife because she was "hysterical" about defending their child from getting physically abused by their father at the age of 5. Rei wasn't even acting hysterical. The one acting hysterical was Endeavour who had punched his child so hard that he was vomitting on the floor. What Endeavour was doing wasn't appropriate training for Shoto's age and its implied to have only grown more violent as Shoto grew up. Martial artists don't beat the shit out their children at the age of 5.

Endeavour wasn't a good parent at all. He was a really shitty parent who abused and isolated Shoto, not necessarily for Shoto's own good, but for the sake of Shoto fulfilling his own selfish desires.

This is genuinely wild shit man.

Also, he obviously stopped caring about "the well being of training his kids" when he started training Shoto. His training with Shoto crossed way too many lines, and created a massive rift between Shoto and Endeavour. Shoto's foremost memories of Endeavour being of how he was physically abused by his father does not show a caring father, but a cruel dictatorial man who controlled Shoto's upbringing with an enclosed iron fist.

Go read the manga again. Hawks didn't regret anything, the only thing that upset him was that his actions were recorded. Hawks could have easily sneaked in some sleeping powder and taken out Jin, in fact instead of just standing there he could have just walked up to him and knocked him out. Hawks wanted to kill Jin. He was just looking for an excuse to do so. But even if you don't believe that, just look at his motivation and his little speech afterwards. Hawks wants to create a world where heroes don't have to work... but such a world can only be achieved if you remove free will. Hawks is just the most obvious example of the heroes being rotten, but what really make the heroes so despicable is that they are all sheep. When they grow up they do so watching shows about heroes on television like we are watching cartoons. Because of this there will always be a disconnect between reality and fiction.
No, he did regret what happened with Twice. Hawks is ultimately someone who wants to save others, and killing Twice was at that time his only option. Its not like he was lying about desiring to save Twice. He saved Twice from Dabi earlier in the conflict(in fact, Dabi was counting on the fact that Hawks really was a hero at heart when making that move).

Hawks confronted Jin because he wanted to keep tabs on him and bring him in easily. That situation escalated out of control when Dabi entered the picture.

I suggest you go and read the manga again, because its made very clear that Hawks did not intend to kill Jin in that confrontation even though that was the end result.

I looked at all these things, but the result is still obvious that his initial plan was to try and save and help Twice, but he was unable to do so.

Hero wants to make a safer world. He doesn't want to remove free will. I have no idea where you got that.

Hawks lived the harshness of a terrible child hood and ended up a better person in spite of that. Hawks childhood could have easily have made him turn into a cruel unfeeling person that didn't care for others, but thats not what happened. He was able to become someone who wanted to save others as his express motivation and something he believes even to this day.

This is in contrast to the villains who aside from Twice and Spinner(who were devoted completely to helping their cause for the sake of helping the people they are loyal to or care about), generally don't want to help anyone but themselves.

Hawks is an altrustic person. He isn't perfect, but at the end of the day Hawks is someone who wants to help others. He did want to help Jin because he knew Jin was a decent guy. The situation simply didn't turn out that way.