The Molokidan Thread~! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Molokidan Thread~!

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
I have been translating since 2005, with a variety of groups and projects. I've also been through undergraduate and graduate school, and translate professionally when I can find work. I am currently accepting commissioned projects.

Last edited:

Zwivix

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Well it seems nobody has come by here so let me start by saying Hi! :glomp

What has intrested you in translating?
Why arent you that active?
Why did you chose the name you have?
Do you check this thread regularly(Well i'll find out if you reply to this)

Those are all the questions for now....I will be back!

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
Thanks for stopping by, Zwivix!

What interested me in translating? Well, I love to write, even before I started learning Japanese, and I love manga, so I just figured it was the ultimate combination of the two, and I can do it for hours (days, even) and never tire of it. I just love to do it.

Not active? Do you mean on the forum? If so, well, I guess I just don't have that much to say. I think I'm pretty active as far as translating goes, personally, as all this is in addition to novels and articles I am required to translate for school, as well as work for other classes and a full-time job.

I've had this name for 8 years now, and I actually have no idea where it comes from, to be honest with you. I'm sure there was a reason long ago, but I have forgotten.

And I check the site once in a while to see if raws come up, so I guess you can say I check the thread regularly too...

Zwivix

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Oh cool I could never translate for hours, even if i do it for about and hour and a half...

But ,yes, i did mean active on the forums, casue obviously your and active translator! :D

Oh, wow 8 years with the same name, I cant say ive done that since I got my first computer about five years ago...

If you check the site regularly then cool I guess we can talk here!

Houjou

Reaction score
Country
Mongolia
Hi!

Looking at your list of translations, I suppose seinen is the genre you enjoy the most... any favourite manga you would recommend to everyone?

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
yes, I do love seinen. Lately, I've been getting into a lot of 80's seinen manga, (like Riki-Oh) it's really good stuff. My all-time favorites are probably Trigun Maximum, Hellsing, Hunter x Hunter, and Bleach.

As for recommendation: definitely Detroit Metal City. Single funniest manga I've ever read. And it's new, so hardly anyone reads it. I highly highly highly highly HIGHLY!! recommend it. It's just amazing.

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
o/ Molo

How's it going.

Gonna start on ch03 soon. 1-2 are basically release ready. ;O

~Lilium~

Reaction score
Country
British Antarctic Territory
hello! :)

got some questions for you :XD
1.) i found ur name by looking @ the world embryo trans... is it good? the manga i mean? :)

2.) is that you on the pic... :oh

:p

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
Hey Lilium, thanks for stopping by the thread.

World Embryo is great! It's a great mixture of shounen-style action with a very complicated storyline, memorable, deep characters (that aren't just stereotypes one after another) intriguing romance, and tons of tragedy. Highly recommended.

And yep, that is me in the pic. :D

psy0

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
What about translating Zero no Tsukaima light novel for Baka-Tsuki? It's more shounen than seinen but so far I like the story. Or if you want darker, there is always Shakugan no shana. The story certainly has many plot twists.

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
Thanks for the recommendations, psy0, I'll add them to my list to read. If you want to me to do a series for you, send me a PM with the details and I'll check it out when I have the time.

psy0

Reaction score
Country
United States
:o that's a quick reply.

Thanks for your offer, but strangely I don't want any manga to be translated right now :p .
I left the Edited Manga scene a while back. Now, I'm just a plain leecher. It wouldn't be right for me to suggest something I'm not willing to work on. :s

Last edited:

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
Fair enough! I'll still check the manga out, though, if only to read for enjoyment, so thanks.

psy0

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was referring to the light novel instead of the manga, though. You can find the translations of them at baka-tsuki.net. The interesting thing about translating the light novels here is that your work will get edited by the public for everything from grammar to accuracy. However, translating a novel is no easy task as you already know. :)

Oh and if you want to read a gag manga for pure entertainment (just for fun and not for translation) there is seto no hanayome manga. I have a ddl link for the raw volumes. There have been mixed reviews of this manga so it's really up to the reader if it is funny or not.

Last edited:

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
That website is indeed interesting. I have many novels at home that I've thought of making translation drafts of for fun, but I've never done it.

The one problem I see with that website (like any wiki) is that just anyone could come in an edit. In this case, with translations, that might be people editing your script merely based on their own opinions or interpretations of how things should be worded, which can get pretty messy at times. The same script from one translator to another can be very different depending on how they interpret certain things.

Seto no Hanayome? Got it. :] Thanks again.

psy0

Reaction score
Country
United States
Even though it is public, like wiki, they have editors and staff to check the edits. If they are legit, they will allow the edits. Also most of the edits are done by staff with minor ones being done by the public. Massive changes aren't allowed and whoever does that will be banned...kinda like wikipedia. As for hanayome i don't think there is a public link to download the raws except for the scanlated vol 1-2. If you want I can PM the link to you for vol 3+.

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
I see.

I'll try and find the raws for the beginning. I have a few resources I'll check once I get off work.

As always, thanks.

~Lilium~

Reaction score
Country
Hey Lilium, thanks for stopping by the thread.

World Embryo is great! It's a great mixture of shounen-style action with a very complicated storyline, memorable, deep characters (that aren't just stereotypes one after another) intriguing romance, and tons of tragedy. Highly recommended.
i see. thanks i was thinking of reading it but i didn't know if it was good. :D sounds interesting so i'll go ahead and read it. :D

where'd u learn japanese btw?

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
I started learning it when I lived there for a year during high school in 2004. When it's around you 24/7, it's really hard NOT to learn it. Immersion is the best way to learn a language, I think.

I actually didn't have much interest prior to going to Japan, but a friend did it for the summer and told me what an amazing time he had, and I hated high school and wanted to travel somewhere, so I decided to give it a shot. Little did I know what I as getting myself into... :D

~Lilium~

Reaction score
Country
u got to study highschool in japan :wtf or is that college? :darn
but what r u studying in japan? *like a major i mean*