The Musician thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Musician thread

Kickmeister

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Well I thought it would be cool to have a thread for those who are into playing music. There's a lot of cool things to discuss about music, for example: does anyone here on the forum play any instrument or sing? If so, what kind of instrument and for how long have you? What kind of music do you play? Why do you play? Do you play in a band? etc.
I should probably do my muscial presentation first :p

I play guitar, accoustic and electric (though I'm more into accoustic right now). I've played for around 3-4 years, on my own and with a teacher. I've always liked most music that I've heard, which has been really good, because then it feels like I'm not limited.
Right now I'm starting to learn classical guitar, that's why I play more accoustic guitar right now. I've played in a band, but eventually quit, because I felt that I wanted to play different kind of music and develop in other styles of playing.
I play guitar because it can really help you with things that no one else can. If you have a problem in your life it can help you calm down and make you feel focused on what you're doing, so it's like being in your own little world. All that and it's just really cool to play.

So, now your turn!

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I play guitar.

>_>;;

Average. ^_^

Hermie

vs. The World.
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Norway
I play mainly trombone and bass, have done for a good while now, but also know my way around a few other instruments. ^__^

karasu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
play guitar, drum, bass... below average.. can't say i'm any good.. :(

drum: had a month of crash course..then basically the rest just my own improvisation..not good at all.. but i used to be a drummer for a really basic pop band... only one really good guy in there... playing lead guitarist.. the other guitarist and bassist only play the chords and me only play along... my band's favourite song is "sweet child o mine" by guns n roses.. we played basic chords, with one heck of a lead from that guitarist..

guitar: never had any teacher.. learnt from watching my guitarists... so far..i can strum chords.. and a little bit of lead... not that good either.. and bass.. just chords, or some tabs..no self improvisation whatsoever..

in other word...i suck :D

i missed my band so much.. we played so much during our secondary school years... then when we graduated, we were distributed to all parts of the world.. 1 in melbourne, me in brisbane, 1 in KL malaysia, 1 in San Fransisco..
we only played every december when we can go back home and have reunion..

Kickmeister

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
that's cool! Trombone and bass are really underrated, everyone I meet wants to play guitar :P Though other instruments are as cool ^^

Arsonist

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now, 3 years with a teacher, so I'm mainly self-teached.
I can also play bassguitar and drums, though the drums-part isn't that great.
Finally I sing (mostly for myself) and I took singing lessons for 3 years.

EDIT: Realized i wrote guitar two times. It's supposed to be bassguitar. :p

Tr14d

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
i play violin and guitar

guitar jus started last year and im self taught

played violin for about 9 years now

juUnior

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Poland
I play piano (fortepiano? ;p). But recently not played for awhile, maybe from lack of time. Also I learned when I was at middle school (gimnazjum) play on flute, but now I didn;t even bother ehh.
And I also tried to learn to play guitar, but I was to lazy, and all in all, i didn't end to learn anything :x

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I used to play drum and bass guitar and was in a Metallica tribute band. But that was long ago and it was far away. :D
Nowadays i stick to humming and disturbing others with my "nobody should hear that guy singing" voice. :D

zetsuie

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
i play around with guitar and bass but mostly i sing in my band grimmerjaw got the name from grim jow from bleach
basically we just post hardcore with a bit of emo and sceamo
basically like senses fail only more melodic and a little less fast punk

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
I have two drumsticks, a cymbal with no stand, and a stand for a snare drum (with no snare drum).
I had the whole setup for about a month, but it never went anywhere and I felt bad disturbing my neighbors

I borrowed my friends Bass a couple of years ago, had it for 6 months.. never really got good

I used to learn piano, flute and trumpet.. that never went anywhere.. all in all; I more or less have given up on every musical instrument I have ever taken an interest in, and I feel bad about it but.. I really don't think I'm a musical person so it's ok.

Goji

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
If you're in to music, even if you aren't into music, you have to check this out(!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8

This guy is absolutely amazing!!!

I also played an instrument: the recorder: Tenor, Alt, Soprano and Sopranino... my fingers weren't big enough to play the Bass... :sweat
I played them for 9 years so I was pretty good at it, but I quit because I had too many things to do that I couldn't keep practicing regularly enough.

tune

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
the recorder is a must for primary school kids in singapore :amuse

"chopsticks" on piano (that's the only song i ever played right)
started from the clarinet group and switched to percussionist in my school's band 2 years ago (my pinky wasn't able to reach b-flat, i haven't touch a single mallet after i graduated from there...)
back to a few more practices with piano which my instructor decided that i should not sit for the beginner's level since i had some experience with music (i quitted without sitting for a single exam after a few months)
then onto some mallet-hitting-on-strings instrument from a chinese orchestra practice, i picked up chinese flute too (but the numbers which replaced the notes got onto me and i quitted soon after)

now the chinese flute which cost me over 100 bucks is getting stale in my drawer ><
gota do something about it... but i'm interested in the guitar too... :)

Paper

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
i play and modify guitars and basses (all self tought).

my axe dossier:
fingerwork: fast- not accurate
fingerpicking: sloppy
picking: very sloppy
slap: extremely sloppy
tapping: fast- not accurate
arpeggio: forget about it
legatto: thank god!!!
tremolo/whammy usage: thank god!!!
tone: "brown sound" @ "woman tone"
modification: average guitar tech

i also enjoy designing new guitar concepts. i mainly play glam-rock and classic rock

Adam_xx

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well, I played piano when I was younger, hopeless at it. xD

Now I play the guitar, been playing for 2 years, mostly self thought, but am doing pretty well.
Play alot of lead so I'm pretty good at the solo's and stuff. Only just got into doing a bit of rhythm, chords took some time to get used to, but it's fun when you know all the notes and stuff. =P

I'd rate myself average I suppose. ^^[br]Posted on: February 17, 2007, 12:12:12 PM_________________________________________________
karasu said:
my band's favourite song is "sweet child o mine" by guns n roses.. we played basic chords, with one heck of a lead from that guitarist..

in other word...i suck :D
Oooh, yea, I play that song sometimes with friends, the introduction (lead) is pretty easy. Infact the whole song isn't that hard, it's only when you get to the solo, that gives your fingers quite a workout. It's too fast, I can barely play it. =P

Naa, I'm sure you don't suck. xD

Goji said:
If you're in to music, even if you aren't into music, you have to check this out(!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8

This guy is absolutely amazing!!!
Haha, yea, funtwo, great guitarist. I'd take him over JerryC anyday. Though funtwo isn't exactly a composer. JerryC did all that. But meh, still an awsome guitarist, and only been playing for 6 years too. O_O

Though one person I'll always look up to (even though I don't like his band very much), is Synyster Gates, from Avenged Sevenfold. Now, he is one kick-ass guitarist. He's like 10 times better than their rythmist, and he's pretty darn good. xD

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e1KeUCpII5o, and thats just a sample of what he can really do!

Lesson by Synyster -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XJgTdIRcYQY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aNo8YMhOpkY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cEydKC680Ik

Goji

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
MadDookie said:
Though one person I'll always look up to (even though I don't like his band very much), is Synyster Gates, from Avenged Sevenfold. Now, he is one kick-ass guitarist. He's like 10 times better than their rythmist, and he's pretty darn good. xD

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e1KeUCpII5o, and thats just a sample of what he can really do!

Lesson by Synyster -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XJgTdIRcYQY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aNo8YMhOpkY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cEydKC680Ik
Thanks for the links! This guy's great indeed! :amuse

I'm also just starting to learn to play the guitar, I know it's hard at first but I think once I'm good at it, it'll be awesome. :D I'll have to keep on practicing though, 'cause now I'm nowhere near that level of playing... XD

erikrhys

Reaction score
Country
United States
i never had friends when i was little so i used to just goof off in my free time at a music store. ive been using music as a escape from any situation im in. Wether i am angry, sad, happy, or just relaxed, i just love to play music. i can play a number of instruments such as:

guitar: i taught myself how to play this, i guess im above average, i play acoustic and electric although i personally prefer electric (im kinda a punk lol) ive been playing for about 4 years now and can solo and stuff like that. Also played it in a band i had last year called Crossbone.
Bass: this one i learned after playing guitar for a year or so. Once i started my band i really started liking the bass so i picked one up and started slapping(no pun). I can play pretty well on the bass, but im not as good at bass as i am at guitar though.
Drums: ive been playing these since 4 years ago, i took lessons for one year, then decided to teach myself. I taught my drummer in my band how to play them so i gues i was pretty good at them.
piano: god, i took piano lessons from 1st-8th grade, and hated it. not piano, but the lessons. Im actually not too good at it though, cause i find it to "mellow" for me. i use synths though so i guess it wasnt a total waste of time :)

and that is all ^-^

GrayFoxx

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I don't know if I can call it playing but had anyone heard about "Fruity Loops" ?? It's a program to make beats, also I was playing in some Hip-Hop but eventually it wasn't meant to be that way xD.

erikrhys

Reaction score
Country
United States
^
ive heard of that program, ive used it once or twice before. for me, i use garageband or soundtrack pro when i receord music ^-^ but "fruity loops" is also good.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I play Piano for 12 years now. Both Classic and Jazz. I'm really good (and I mean Really , no showoff :p) in the piano. Also I play Cello for 12 years too.
I taught myself guitar few years ago, wasnt so difficult.. I guess i'm avg. in that. I also know bass, drums (a bit) and generally, and instrument that doesnt need to be blown air into.. :p

I also compose music (classical mainly) using the software Sibelius (if anyone ever listend to). And to record my music I have a mixere with mics, connected to a mini disk, and then I transferr it to my computer using Audacity.