The Official MH Meet&Cons Hangout | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Official MH Meet&Cons Hangout

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
[eni]* high-jacks thread* [/eni]

Welcome to the official MH Meet&Cons Hangout! :occa

Here's the place for you to brainstorm on meeting possibilities. Any idea for a nice con or don't know where to go? Ask here! Find people in your region to join you, meet up and make friends~

Don't be afraid of throwing in a suggestion or questions, or start your own local MH circle :p

Most of all - Have fun! :luv

--------- Sai's original post -----------
So, to start off, this is an idea that came to sahugani and I at the recent San Diego Comic Con from last weekend. We had this crazy idea about starting a place on MH for people to post Convention Reports, Experiences, Meet Ups and so forth for all the members here on Mangahelpers.

This thread is meant as a gauge to the popularity of this idea. Here we can all post pics of any recent conventions we went to, as well as convention reports and any other experiences you wish to share. Also this thread can be used to help arrange meet ups and things for future conventions.

This doesn't (I REPEAT DOESN'T) have to only be Anime and Manga. Feel free to discuss such conventions revolving aroudn movies, comics, music and TV, Sci-Fi and more.

Sahugani and I will be releasing a small con report sometime this weekend or early next week for SDCC '08 including pictures and experiences from the Mashima Hiro Panel and the Heroes Panel (Among Other Things). Until then please feel free to discuss your experiences at SDCC if you have them and maybe even your pics and experiences from the Kubo Tite panel (which Sahu and I skipped for Mashima Hiro lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Official MH Conventions Thread

Sounds like a good idea. It's a shame there isn't a proper website to go with the massive forum here, as stuff like convention reports and so on would go down a storm.

Being based in the uk there's only a few times of year I can even think about conventions, but I'll look into doing something with this :D

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom

well, part of the reason for the thread instead of the forum is to test the popularity of the idea, if popular enough, we can eventually get our own sub forum or something.

As for UK conventions, I imagine there would only be a few, I can help look around for you though.

Just a reminder to some, the next big US con is going to be on the East Coast in August. It's known as Otacon. I believe it's in Boston, Mass. but I'm not sure. I can look up more info if anyone is interested.

kaylee

mousou mashiin
Reaction score
Country
United States

Just a reminder to some, the next big US con is going to be on the East Coast in August. It's known as Otacon. I believe it's in Boston, Mass. but I'm not sure. I can look up more info if anyone is interested.
Otakon is being held from Aug 8th-10th in Baltimore, MD. Pretty sure this is the one you meant. :D

JAM Project will be there, which is pretty cool. Not sure I recognize anyone else yet.

Last edited:

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom

yeah, thats the one, thanks kaylee

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Otakon is being held from Aug 8th-10th in Baltimore, MD. Pretty sure this is the one you meant. :D

JAM Project will be there, which is pretty cool. Not sure I recognize anyone else yet.
Otakon is in Baltimore, MD, August 8-10. You can pick up your badge if you pre-registered on Thursday night as well. And you will recognize ME cosplaying as Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes XD :turtle

I'll be on the "Fansub and Industry discussion Panel" at 5:30 pm Saturday and will be sure to come back with a general con report and hopefully video link to the panel.

Keep your eyes peeled for this shady character:

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom

DUDE SWEET COSTUME HISSHOU!!!!! I'm glad there's someone around here for the East Coast cons....I've always wanted to go to Otakon (I heard it kicks Anime Expo's ass big time)....but no money to travel to it (let alone to get a hotel room, and still have money for food and swag) At least I got San Diego Comic Con around here (which is the king of cons....at least imo).

As for another Con coming up here in CA. An smaller convention will be coming up in Fresno. Ani-Jam. A friend of mine reminded me about it (though I wont be able to go). It's a much smaller convention and is mainly jsut for fans who want to kick back and relax with other fans.

Anyhow to help this thread get some views I'll post a few pics of me in cosplay.....hopefully that gets some more posts (yes, I'm whoring this thread)

Second Costume I ever made (Genjo Sanzo, Saiyuki)

My most famous costume (Jiraiya, Naruto)

Hahah well thats enough embarassing/awesome pics of me XD

Waterdroplet

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Re: The Official MH Conventions Thread [HOT TOPIC: Comic-Con ’08 Report]

Is it fine if I write an event in Japan as well? One of my on-line friend, who is a pro-level manga-ka is attending one (Comitia).

Comic Market @ Tokyo Big Sight (Aug 15- 17th)
Comitia 85 @ Tokyo Big Site (Aug 24th)

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom

Is it fine if I write an event in Japan as well? One of my on-line friend, who is a pro-level manga-ka is attending one (Comitia).

Comic Market @ Tokyo Big Sight (Aug 15- 17th)
Comitia 85 @ Tokyo Big Site (Aug 24th)
Feel Free to write a con report for Japan, this is ALL conventions, worldwide lol

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Saaaaaaaiii-kun XD Damnit, you guys. I was waiting for the pictures on Facebook. I didn't know you had already posted your con report here.

All I can say is:

GOD DAMN YOU BOTH. YOU MET PHIL TAN. *cries into a pile of heaping puddle*

Honestly though, if I ever do visit you guys (besides on a DL trip) I'd want you guys to take me to SDCC. Seriously, like...everyone is there.

And not to digress too much, here's my short report on FanEXPO, of which I volunteered at.

Note to anyone planning on volunteering, make sure they NEVER call you for a Saturday. Too many rude people looking down on you. And....yeah. =_= I'm not volunteering there ever again.

So, the first half of my shift, I was taking care of the lines (you con-goers know how bad Saturday lines are), and the second half...I took care of the autograph line for Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor from Smallville, if you guys didn't know). So, for the next three hours, I stood next to the man himself. Lol. XD I'm a Marvel fangirl, so...*shrug*. I wasn't really fangirling. I'll have to admit the man was smexing hot, though. Especially with his now-grown hair and beard.

I only took a few photos because I was dreadfully tired by the time my shift ended (8:30am till 1:30 pm), and my legs were like jelly. Instead, I browsed around Artist Alley, drooling at the number of comic artists in there, plus the number of artists I recognise on deviantART.

Bahaha, I met Jessie Lam, commonly known as axl99 on dA: http://axl99.deviantart.com/

She was uber nice, and I got to buy a print off her, but the comic series she was selling was sold out =_= Better luck next time? :/

Marko Djurdjevic

Gabriel del'Otto and Marko Djurdjevic, sketching

MARKO DJURDJEVIC AND GABRIEL DEL'OTTO

So, these two cover Gods were in a separate booth from the other artists. And they weren't selling anything, nor were they giving out autographs (yet; they have a separate booth for that). So I quietly asked Djurdjevic if I could take a pic of him, since someone already asked previously (cue screaming fangirl who was before me). He nicely obliged.

del'Otto, I didn't want to bother because he was really painting intently (he's left-handed! LOL. That made me a happy camper), so I just took a pic of him.

Seriously though, had I not been dead tired by mid-afernoon, I'd have done all I can to have gotten their autograph. It was around 4 or something, but the line had already started since 2 pm =_=

A memorable event were the numerous suit-clad men w/sunglasses carrying slogans on sticks around the con. Something about...'Vote for Sylar'? 'Darkness is coming'? They were there to promote the latest season of Heroes.

I don't watch it, so I have no idea. It was cute at first, but they started getting bothersome. They raided the people in lines (giving out masks) on the wait to get in. Then another group stood waiting at the bottom of the escalators. That's when thins started getting ansty for a few of the volunteers.

Con-goers were freaked out by them, so they started moving in different directions instead of the ones we had told them to go ti. *eyeroll* That messed up the lines even more.

Aaaanyhow, SDCC sounded cooler. XD

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

London Expo. May 23rd. I'll be there writing a column thing.

.... yeah.

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: The Official MH Conventions Hangout

*revives thread*

So, I went to my first con yesterday. :nuts It was Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (aka C2E2). Now, I'll admit that I'm not a huge American comics fan, so seeing a lot of the artists and people was a bit lost on me, but it was fun nonetheless. I just walked around, checked out the various booths, went to a couple of panels, admired the art, and basically just took everything in. I was hoping that there would be more manga/anime-related stuff than there was, so I was a bit disappointed. I was also disappointed on the severe lack of cosplayers. But, as I said before, it was my first time at one of these things so I really didn't know what to expect. :p

Anyway, how about some pictures? :amuse

The Chewbacca was huuuuuuge! If he was on stilts, he was really coordinated with them. Fooled me, at least. :sweat

Yes you could have your picture taken in both the DeLorean and the Batmobile.... for a small fee. It would be cool, but I decided to pass. :p

These were props from the Iron Man movie being auctioned off. Pretty sweet stuff~

This Baby Batman was drawn for me by an artist named Dustin Nguyen. He literally whipped this together in probably about 2 minutes. I'm so jealous of people with talent! Isn't it cute?

Also, a little story to go along with this. My friend and I were the last 2 people in his line to get sketches before he was supposed to have an interview with Comic Vine. Because they were running out of time for some reason, he went ahead and did the interview while sketching for my friend and we stood there and watched. I was looking for the interview to post it, but sadly I can't find it yet. If I find it later, I may edit it in. ;)

Sorry about the crappy picture quality (cell phone pics) and the fact that I took so few, but I kinda forgot about it after a while. Plus, I'm a little too shy to stop people and ask for their pictures, even if that's why they did it in the first place. I hate bothering people. :sweat

Anyone else go to this? If so, please share your experience. :) Maybe you can do it a little better justice than I could with my limited knowledge of American comics.

Last edited:

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom

lol Goodsy, I was pondering a couple months back about flying to Chicago for C2E2. They had quite the awesome guest line up XD

Dustin Nguyen is quite the cool artist too XD I actually know his stuff.

Maybe next year if I have the money I'll go and we can meet up XD

[goods]Yes! Do it! :nuts[/goods]

Last edited by a moderator:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Why didn't you take more pics of people cosplaying? :(

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States

I already answered that, Milly. -_-;

There weren't many cosplayers to begin with and I felt guilty bothering people to pose.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Cool pics. I like the delorean.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

You said severe lack of cosplayers. <_< Still had some, more than just Chewie anyway. And they wouldn't mind, they feel their hard work is being noticed. Or that you'll make fun of them with friends later, but yeah, they necessarily don't mind. And you don't have to have 'em pose, just click a pic and show it to them.

Who was the best cosplayer IYO? As in, what was he/she dressed like? <_<

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States

@Kaiten - The DeLorean was awesome! I *had* to take a pic. Great childhood memories there! :wtf

@Milly - There were a few really good cosplayers. I can't remember them all, but I do remember there being a really good Jack Sparrow as well as a Marty McFly (from Back to the Future <3). You could pose with the Marty McFly look-alike and the DeLorean for like $20 or something, I think. He looked great, though. The right size and everything. I tried to take a pic, but couldn't get a good one. :/ Oh, and they had his name listed as Matt J. Fox, which I found really amusing for some reason. Enough to take a pic, actually. :XD

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Ooh, was there Davy Jones? :O Or Captain Barbossa? The former would probably be difficult as fuck to do because of the tendrils and etc. :S

[goods]Could've been, but I didn't see them :p[/goods]