The Olympics - General Discussion | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Olympics - General Discussion

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

It's almost here. Next friday the worlds eyes will be on London as the sporting event of the year begins. Full schedule and results here.

This thread is dedicated to general discussion of the Olympics. Will you be following the Olympics? What events are you most looking forward to, what are you expecting from your team, how concerned are you on the arrangements and security problems in London, which country will catch the most medals? All that and much more here. :nod

Also, don't hesitate to take part in Mangahelpers' contest either.

joshua019

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Olympics Contest 2012 Discussion Thread

great to live in london! too bad I only got a ticket for a couple of events, volleyball and taekwondo.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Young athletes to light the olympic torch ... what a joke. It's the biggest honor for a sportman & they give that to kids. What a letdown.

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I missed the opening - I heard it was pretty great. I'll have to watch it on the net. So what teams/ person is everyone rooting for?

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I missed the opening - I heard it was pretty great. I'll have to watch it on the net. So what teams/ person is everyone rooting for?
I think pretty much everyone is rooting for his own country :D. We got our first medal the first day (Judo). So, at Belgian level, I'm already very happy. We won't get many medals. Most belgians are hoping for a good performance from the Borlee family in athletism & from Kim Clijsters in tennis.

The opening had some great stuff: The queen & James Bond, M. Ali being present, Song from children with an handicap, overall good atmosphere & last but not least (and everyone is talking almost only about that on internet) Rowan Atkinson.
Too bad, the ending was anti-climatic with those young athletes.

For other countries, I'm rooting for Andy Murray & hoping for a showdown from Jamaica in Athletism (Blake vs Bolt)

Last edited:

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think pretty much everyone is rooting for his own country :D. We got our first medal the first day (Judo). So, at Belgian level, I'm already very happy. We won't get many medals. Most belgians are hoping for a good performance from the Borlee family in athletism & from Kim Clijsters in tennis.

The opening had some great stuff: The queen & James Bond, M. Ali being present, Song from children with an handicap, overall good atmosphere & last but not least (and everyone is talking almost only about that on internet) Rowan Atkinson.
Too bad, the ending was anti-climatic with those young athletes.

For other countries, I'm rooting for Andy Murray & hoping for a showdown from Jamaica in Athletism (Blake vs Bolt)
/

Just caught a bit of that on the tv after work. Blake vs Bolt will be an interesting match watch indeed.

joshua019

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

mark cavendish wat a let down, after all the built up around him :(

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium

mark cavendish wat a let down, after all the built up around him :(
UK, you really don't know anything about that sport.
I was watching the bbc & the news concerning B.Wiggins. "Greatest sportman" "what a runner" ... when the guy bought his victory: LOL. All people in other countries are talking about how chris froome should have won this "tour de france".

About cavendish, same thing. You're talking about a letdown when he did what he had to do: staying with his teammates and hoping for a sprint. There was no sprint, so he couldn't do anything ... It's hard to control the event when you only have 5 runners (+ Bernard Eisel from austria ...). Cavendish didn't win because he was too strong & other countries didn't want a sprint. Belgium & US attacked all day long for example.

thsv

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Young athletes to light the olympic torch ... what a joke. It's the biggest honor for a sportman & they give that to kids. What a letdown.
You miss the point. Leaving a legacy for future generations was the point of these games from day 1. Hence why future potential greats were given the honour.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Working Common Domain in Basketball Arena; sadly it is right outside the arena; BUT some really cute female russian basketball players were taking pics outside my bar! :x3 so hot!

thsv

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Working Common Domain in Basketball Arena; sadly it is right outside the arena; BUT some really cute female russian basketball players were taking pics outside my bar! :x3 so hot!
Have to admit the quality of female tourists has been far higher this last week. Especially in the Victoria Park area.

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Female tourists and female athletes as well? :D

I have to admit that the opening ceremony is Beijing was by far better, this one had it's fair share of interesting stuff, though of course the previous one was screaming EPIC! That is the feeling that was missing here I think. Plus in China the opening ceremony really had a more "sports feel".

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I wonder how france became a big swimming country, well I guess it's more glorious than fencing and speed cyclism...

Do you guys watch more sport when it's the olympic or just the same as usual ?

joshua019

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

UK, you really don't know anything about that sport.
I was watching the bbc & the news concerning B.Wiggins. "Greatest sportman" "what a runner" ... when the guy bought his victory: LOL. All people in other countries are talking about how chris froome should have won this "tour de france".

About cavendish, same thing. You're talking about a letdown when he did what he had to do: staying with his teammates and hoping for a sprint. There was no sprint, so he couldn't do anything ... It's hard to control the event when you only have 5 runners (+ Bernard Eisel from austria ...). Cavendish didn't win because he was too strong & other countries didn't want a sprint. Belgium & US attacked all day long for example.
thats the problem the whole team stayed in the peloton whilst there was someone leading by a kilometer a county away from the finish line

Bugzee

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So "Team GB" finally get some gold coloured chocolate coins. Rowing was predictable tbh. I thought to myself Rowing or Horse Parading Equestrian would be there best chances of getting gold.

I watched the Fencing match between Shin A Lam and Heidemann and I've got to say...I have never felt so emotional and outraged in a bloody fencing match before. This was probably the first time I actually watched a fencing game from the start (:XD) and I was lucky to have had one of the more entertaining matches to watch but that fatal error at the end was just stupid. I really do feel sorry for Shin A Lam. I think she deserved to go through and the appeal being rejected was a load bs imo.

Apparently, she'll receive a "special" medal after protesting for more then an hour. =S

Have to admit the quality of female tourists has been far higher this last week. Especially in the Victoria Park area.
I'll tell you where to find some cute "spots" :derp

Kensington, Embankment and Bond Street. I'm in love all over again. :blush

Last edited:

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
That gymnastics final was ridiculously intense. T_T

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium

thats the problem the whole team stayed in the peloton whilst there was someone leading by a kilometer a county away from the finish line
you just gave me the confirmation that you are not watching cycling events very often

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
What are the sports you only watch when it's the Olympics ?

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the sports you only watch when it's the Olympics ?
Pretty much everything except football and tennis :oh

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Those damn Lithuanians at the basketball arena were so drunk they got 2 of my concessions closed by the police during the evening when I wasn't there :shakefist. They came back again yesterday and police security was RIDICULOUS. But that didn't stop them, they carried on drinking and chanting as if it was a football match.