Discussion - The One Piece Trope: Quirky characters | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The One Piece Trope: Quirky characters

weixiaobao

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel like One Piece, if not the pioneer of this, then it is the series in which make this particular trope super popular. The quirky characters.
When you have a very large cast of characters to introduce. And if you don't have time to flesh them out right away, or even at all. To make characters stand out from one another. Add a quirk to a character. Nowadays, many series use this a ton. Some more successful than others. Some made me cringe a bit.

Overall, what do you think of it? What do you think of the trend? Should series move away from it?
What are some of the more successful examples? And some of the ones that you think isn't all that successful?

XXGenesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
One Piece imo doubles down on the quirkiness of a character, so much so that 99% of the time other characters don’t even find the personality to be socially awkward or strange.

When I decided to give OP a try after only watching the 4kids Dub Pre-alabasta arc; It’s something more and more over time I grew to love that about OP, and look forward to the next set of quirky characters.