Question - The other deadly sins? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question The other deadly sins?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
For me Meliodas is the one that best fits his sin so far. His ability is subtle but its still very wrath oriented. Full counter doesn't just return an enemies attack, it returns it with a much greater power. Its more than a mere counter. returning a stronger power is retribution, its punishment, its wrath. Then there is the bit against ban not too long ago. Meliodas took a decent bit of damage himself and even when he had no strength left he actually used his ability to defeat ban with insane strength. IMO his ability is basically wrath. Meliodas accumulates all the negative emotions and damage from the fight and returns it tenfold to his enemy. Against ban he would have accumulated damage as he has no ill will against his dear friend. Breaking out of the crystal would have been due to accumulated negative emotions from elizabeth being hurt. Meliodas is basically the hulk.

Ban as greed makes sense. His ability and personality are fairly consistent with greed. I do think that outside of the of the moments described earlier with king he is more in the "greed is good" camp. Its not about greed in the sense that he does not give a crap about people, its about him being willing to go the extra mile for the stuff he cares about.

I am somewhat iffy of king as sloth though. How exactly is leaving his kingdom an act of sloth? It seems like there is something else going on here.

Envy makes sense to some degree in regards to elizabeth. I do believe it hasn't been shown what exactly she got her sin from though. I do think a clue could be about her size, when she said she wanted to be smaller. It would be envy of all those who can do things normally. It would be interesting if diane was small by giant standards and she was envious in the past of her much larger peers. So she would have been jealous of her larger peers and of her smaller companions, her size would never be just right.

So that leaves lust, gluttony and pride. I could see merlin as lust. It kinda makes sense if she is a woman although it would be a bit sexist... Then again I can't imagine the other sins being more lustful than meliodas. So that leaves escanor and gowther. I guess there is a possibility of lust not being necessarily for women but rather something like power. From what I can tell the poem with gowther could make him the sin of lust. Looking for escanor I got to the gawain guy. Perhaps his real name is gawain? It would be a situation similar to kings perhaps. Gawain seems to be a pretty decent guy though. So perhaps it goes like this: Gowther is lust, merlin is pride and gawain is gluttony. Merlin would be about the powerful wizard so pride would make sense.

If one of the sins did betray the others then I would think it necessarily has to be pride. Pride is depicted as the worst of the seven sins to a great degree. Perhaps one of them couldn't handle being compared to the others?

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I am somewhat iffy of king as sloth though. How exactly is leaving his kingdom an act of sloth? It seems like there is something else going on here.
Now that you mention it, it's rather easy case: his duty was to rule the fairy kingdom, but, because of his sloth, he entrusted his job to his sister, and went out to wander the world.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
And spends his time floating on a pillow...

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Now that you mention it, it's rather easy case: his duty was to rule the fairy kingdom, but, because of his sloth, he entrusted his job to his sister, and went out to wander the world.
Well, the issue here is that we have no clue as to what he was doing. Then again ban did nothing of what got him his greed epithet.... So perhaps that is a good enough explanation. I guess the issue is not what their crimes were but rather what people think they were. Ban seems completely innocent of everything and even then he got screwed over, got made into a criminal and even him says he has a since in spite of being fault free from the fairy kingdom destruction.

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Well, the issue here is that we have no clue as to what he was doing. Then again ban did nothing of what got him his greed epithet.... So perhaps that is a good enough explanation. I guess the issue is not what their crimes were but rather what people think they were. Ban seems completely innocent of everything and even then he got screwed over, got made into a criminal and even him says he has a since in spite of being fault free from the fairy kingdom destruction.
In King's case, we know enough about what he actually did to deserves his nickname, and in comparison we don't know much about what people think of him. He is slothful; he even apologized to his sisters for leaving her with the burden of to rule and guard the fairy kingdom. Not ruling his kingdom and spending the time over a floating pillow... Cristal clear representation of sloth, isn't it?

So, if in Ban's case it's about what people think of him, then we don't have a pattern to understand the origin of the nickname; because both cases are different.... Or we still don't know enough greed sins made by Ban; because his try to grab Meliodas sword could be seen as greed.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
My point is that we don't know why king left his kingdom. Its entirely possible he left for perfectly valid reasons to begin with. We have little reason to believe he spent his time doing nothing and floating on a pillow. Being a knighted sin is not precisely doing nothing. Granted that there are several unaccounted for centuries but its not fair to assume just yet that he left out of not wanting to fulfill his responsibilities.