Games - The Ratchet and Clank Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games The Ratchet and Clank Thread

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Ratchet and Clank
Developed by Insomniac Games
12 Installments as of 2016
Third Person Platformer
PS2 | PS3 | PS4 | Mobile

Has anyone else got a guilty pleasure that is R&C? I've been literally playing this since I was 5 years old :D
What's your favourite planet? Favourite game? I don't think I could choose a favourite planet but my favourite game would have to be either R&C 3, 2 or Deadlocked

SleipnirX

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Loved this series since I was little, exploring the hugely varied planets with an arsenal of wacky weapons was just brilliant! If I had to pick a favourite, it'd probably be between R&C (original/2002), R&C 2, R&C 3 or A Crack in Time - I'd probably have to play them all again to decide as it's been a while for most of them.

Hard to say on favourite planet, but a few do stick in my mind, for various reasons:

R&C 1:
Orxon and Pokitaru - this was such a fantastic contrast, with creepy, depressing Orxon being followed by bright, sunny Pokitaru before going back. It was also a clever level design in that you needed to get items on successive planets to complete objectives on previous ones around this part of the game.

R&C 2:
Joba - had a really chill atmosphere/ soundtrack and I still remember all the attempts at completing the 'impossible challenge' in the arena xD

Silver city/ Boldan - that theme tune tho

R&C 3:
Thran asteroid - simply nightmare fuel lol, those qwark bots

Courtney gears boss battle... a big plasma whip and a gun that squirted white gooey stuff on her is what really sticks in the mind about that encounter :cheez

It's a shame the later releases of the game have gotten more and more 'meh'. Apart from A4O, ToD and aCiT, all the PS3 games were really truncated and overly dumbed down compared to previous games. The rebooted original for the PS4 wasn't terrible, but it deviated from the plot of the original (apparently to follow the plot of a film that tanked at the box office anyway) way too much and cut masses of what made the original game so special out (for example like I was talking about above with the level backtracking, but also more core things, like the developing relationship between the two titular characters, and for absolutely no reason I can see brushed Drek aside as the main villain and made him into a derpy stooge).

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Loved this series since I was little, exploring the hugely varied planets with an arsenal of wacky weapons was just brilliant! If I had to pick a favourite, it'd probably be between R&C (original/2002), R&C 2, R&C 3 or A Crack in Time - I'd probably have to play them all again to decide as it's been a while for most of them.

Hard to say on favourite planet, but a few do stick in my mind, for various reasons:

R&C 1:
Orxon and Pokitaru - this was such a fantastic contrast, with creepy, depressing Orxon being followed by bright, sunny Pokitaru before going back. It was also a clever level design in that you needed to get items on successive planets to complete objectives on previous ones around this part of the game.

R&C 2:
Joba - had a really chill atmosphere/ soundtrack and I still remember all the attempts at completing the 'impossible challenge' in the arena xD

Silver city/ Boldan - that theme tune tho

R&C 3:
Thran asteroid - simply nightmare fuel lol, those qwark bots

Courtney gears boss battle... a big plasma whip and a gun that squirted white gooey stuff on her is what really sticks in the mind about that encounter :cheez

It's a shame the later releases of the game have gotten more and more 'meh'. Apart from A4O, ToD and aCiT, all the PS3 games were really truncated and overly dumbed down compared to previous games. The rebooted original for the PS4 wasn't terrible, but it deviated from the plot of the original (apparently to follow the plot of a film that tanked at the box office anyway) way too much and cut masses of what made the original game so special out (for example like I was talking about above with the level backtracking, but also more core things, like the developing relationship between the two titular characters, and for absolutely no reason I can see brushed Drek aside as the main villain and made him into a derpy stooge).
Pokitaru was one of the planets I was thinking was recreated really well in the reboot. It's such a hallmark of a level that they couldn't reslly change it too much. Boldan :hip

I remember that i was maybe 4 or 5 when having so much difficulty with theThran Asteroid Belt....

SleipnirX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pokitaru was one of the planets I was thinking was recreated really well in the reboot. It's such a hallmark of a level that they couldn't reslly change it too much. Boldan :hip

I remember that i was maybe 4 or 5 when having so much difficulty with theThran Asteroid Belt....
Yeah they did do it justice in the reboot, just a shame they chopped out so many other great and iconic planets - destroying that massive bomb on Hoven, the Gemlik base, Orxon, Oltanis - one of the few levels you didn't get clank, making it that much more difficult... and also 'Steve' of course! XD

Also a shame they didn't remaster the original soundtrack for it, this has prompted me to start listening on YouTube and they're still really good!

I'm pretty sure I got 2&3 together for Christmas having got the first one a bit earlier, so I'm guessing '05 or '06, so I'd have been about 10,11 and it was still bad enough xD

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yeah they did do it justice in the reboot, just a shame they chopped out so many other great and iconic planets - destroying that massive bomb on Hoven, the Gemlik base, Orxon, Oltanis - one of the few levels you didn't get clank, making it that much more difficult... and also 'Steve' of course! XD

Also a shame they didn't remaster the original soundtrack for it, this has prompted me to start listening on YouTube and they're still really good!

I'm pretty sure I got 2&3 together for Christmas having got the first one a bit earlier, so I'm guessing '05 or '06, so I'd have been about 10,11 and it was still bad enough xD
I do hope that we get new titles in the future. Not just more reboots. The original soundtrack is so cool. David Beauregard did a much better job at composing for the series than the one employed for the Reboot was. Not dissing his music, as I thought it was genuinely good, but it didn't have that distinct R&C Vibe. I loved Hoven and hell, even the final level was changed. I didn't like how we had a nerdy Dr Nefarious instead of Drek as the real final boss. Dr. Nefarious is my all time favourite villain anyway. He's at his best in R&C 3 and ACiT.

SleipnirX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do hope that we get new titles in the future. Not just more reboots. The original soundtrack is so cool. David Beauregard did a much better job at composing for the series than the one employed for the Reboot was. Not dissing his music, as I thought it was genuinely good, but it didn't have that distinct R&C Vibe. I loved Hoven and hell, even the final level was changed. I didn't like how we had a nerdy Dr Nefarious instead of Drek as the real final boss. Dr. Nefarious is my all time favourite villain anyway. He's at his best in R&C 3 and ACiT.
Yeah I couldn't agree more, I think it's now changed up so much that I think they'd struggle to follow the plot of R&C 3. 2 maybe not so much as it's in a completely different galaxy with, by and large, new characters (though Qwark might be a bit difficult). The new music wasn't particularly bad, it just wasn't iconic, it sounded more like generic film music than the original sound track.

Yeah that's one of my biggest gripes about the reboot, if they wanted Nefarious working for Drek, then that seems ok, it's just introducing him into the story a bit earlier, but having him take over the role as primary villain was unnecessary. The whole original game was somewhat themed around the evils of greed/ excessive capitalism so it was fitting that Drek's ultimate motivation was money, and he didn't even have the redemption of doing it for the greater good of his own people. But I think they jettisoned so much of the original story this time around for a much shallower version that it wouldn't have quite the same resonance anyway. I do think it's a shame they felt they had to go for a more generic story this time round, the original was in so many ways better, with how ratchet only slowly came to be a reluctant hero, and R&Cs relationship developed into friendship over the course of the game, rather than just them meeting and being friends straight off.