Word Play - The Role-playing thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Word Play The Role-playing thread

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my hobbies is to write and create stories and characters, so that’s why I like role-playing. :) I think it’s fun to be able to create your own story and decide what happens to the characters in said story.

So I was wondering if anyone else here on MH would be interested in starting a role-playing thread. A thread where members could role-play their own original characters or characters from their favorite manga or anime in a original fantasy universe. The universe will be an original one, since it’ll be created by the people participating in the role-playing. This is just the planning and developing stage, so I was wondering if there were people interested in helping create and participate in a thread like that.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I've always been curious on forum RPGs, but never really played one. Mainly because it's quite hard to get in an on going one as a new player. I might be interested, though I doubt my english skills are good enough to produce not only fluid but also vivid english.

But I must say I might be interested to join.

Xadyu

Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
I'm always interested, but my experiences with these things is that they won't last, or stops being what it must be real fast.

You would need a lot of rules so not every ass does what he wants to do, even how logical it may be.

TitaniumChloride

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I'm interested in participating, though it'll really depend on how everything goes after it starts.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
i am in then ...i love RPG s

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've always been curious on forum RPGs, but never really played one. Mainly because it's quite hard to get in an on going one as a new player. I might be interested, though I doubt my english skills are good enough to produce not only fluid but also vivid english.

But I must say I might be interested to join.
I’m glad to see you say you might be interested, Ustegius. :) Thank you for being interested in participating in the RP! And regarding your English skills, I think role-playing could actually help you improve them, since the more you practice it the better you get at it and role-playing is a fun way to practice English, at least IMHO.

You would need a lot of rules so not every ass does what he wants to do, even how logical it may be.
Thank you for being interested in participating in the RP, Xadyu!

Yes, rules are important when role-playing since they allow all the members and people involved in it to have fun without dealing with a lot of drama and problems. I already have a few rules and I will post them later in this post. But I would like for all the people who will be involved in the RP to help with rules and help create the RP. ^_^

I'm interested in participating, though it'll really depend on how everything goes after it starts.
Okay. Thank you for being interested in participating in the RP, TitaniumChloride!:)

i am in then ...i love RPG s
Thank you for being interested in participating in the RP, shaheer! ^_^

All credit goes to Dizzy and Byakuya Kuchiki for the info!

[Roleplay 101]

First of all, what is roleplaying?

In simple terms, it's a form of interactive writing where members create one or more characters and quite literally, play out those roles. The best comparison for it would be a MMORPG, or perhaps a semi-improvised play - people may have their characters do whatever they please, mingling with others upon their whims, creating the whole tale it as they go, while still conforming to a main plot and a set of guidelines there to keep it enjoyable for everybody. But rather than using a game to do it, this is for those who prefer the art of prose, those who would rather chronicle their adventures in words.

Within the game, they'll form their characters' personal stories, which will be intertwining all the while with the RP's plots and their exchanges with other characters. Imagine a world as a clean slate, if you will, a blank piece of paper for us to collaborate on and make it into anything we want. If you enjoy writing, or are interested in making it a hobby, as well as meeting and interacting with people, then RP is definitely for you.

But alas, with all games, there are rules that come along with it. These are basic requirements in any RP, not just this one, and they contain your standard etiquette as well as RP-specific policies, all of which will be explained for those who are new to the game. Honestly, most of these fall into the categories of common sense, respecting your fellow RPers, and fairness in general, and nothing is amazingly hard to understand.

Rules

1. All MangaHelpers rules also apply to the RP.
Simple enough. If you wouldn't do it elsewhere on the site, don't do it here.

2. Don't godmode.
The most common definition of godmoding is to write as if your character is omniscient, omnipresent, invincible, capable of dodging or defending against anything that is thrown at them, or just going beyond what your character should be able to do. In essence, anything unfair to other RPers and unrealistic could be called godmoding. Know what your character's capabilities are, and stick to them.

3. Don't write for others' characters without their express permission.
You wouldn't want people to take control of your characters, so show them the same courtesy. If it somehow becomes necessary, make sure you have permission first, and if necessary, show it to the character's owner before you post it. Or, even better, act out the scene with the character's owner before writing it.

4. Try to stay within the limits.
In order for all of us to have as much fun as possible, limits are necessary. The minimum number of lines a roleplayer's post can have is one line and the maximum is 30 lines. The reason why a limit on sentences is necessary is because posts that are too short or too loooong can obstruct the natural flow of the story. If a role-player goes over the maximum limit with 5-6 lines, I'm O.K. with that. But if the post turns into a long essay, then that would be almost as bad as godmoding which is a no-no in role-playing.

5. Stay on Topic.
Please don’t wander away from the role-playing topic and begin to talk about things that have nothing to do with the topic being role-played. Short OT comments are allowed but if you want to write them please remember to write them between parentheses.

6. Communication.
Don't be afraid to PM other role-players or chat with them to plan arcs or the interactions between your characters. Actions in the role-playing threads should be made as a team decision with everyone's input.

------------------------------
These are the rules that I have so far, if you guys want to add any more rules or want to make suggestion or comments, please feel free to write a post about it in this thread. :)

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
this seems to be a problem...i am only available in fridays and saturdays being continuous here would be impossible...so forming alliance or leveling up or attacking is imp for me ..i mean how much can one do in 2 days only

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well…then I guess you will only role-play on the days you are available, which are Fridays and Saturdays. And although, being active helps to move things faster, have more interactions with other characters/roleplayers and it’s a good thing to be when role-playing; as long as you don’t go MIA for weeks I think you could still role-play and have fun.

And regarding forming alliances and leveling up or attacking…I'm not sure I understand why this will be impossible since you could do that on the days you are available…

Last edited:

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
i ll be in level 2 while the rest will be in 15 or so.....

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ahhh. Mmm...maybe I’m wrong and please correct me if I am, but I think you have a bit of confusion between online text-based roleplaying and video game roleplaying. In a text-based role-playing you don’t power up that fast. It takes some time and interactions with other characters before you can increase the level of your power.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
well havent played online text based role playing so dun know its latitude and longitudes......

DLord.Van.Buuren

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
ok , im gonna be kickass no super powers just pure guts and mouth power .

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
patience you must have.....dangerous thing over confidence is...i sense a disturbance in your force young one....meditate you must :om

patience you must have:notrust ..... a dangerous thing over confidence is...i sense a disturbance in your force, young one....meditate you must :om

Last edited:

DLord.Van.Buuren

Reaction score
Country
Japan
patience you must have.....dangerous thing over confidence is...i sense a disturbance in your force young one....meditate you must :om
yeah , maybe you are right . so what are you? master roshi ?

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
still deciding.....how bout i become Goku ..never die invincible

DLord.Van.Buuren

Reaction score
Country
Japan
invincible is against the rules , maybe just a goku with a minus advantage .

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
well havent played online text based role playing so dun know its latitude and longitudes......
Okay. In a text-based role-playing everything is done using words. You have to explain what your character does, the way he/she speaks, acts, and even attacks using words. I don’t know if this analogy is a good one, but…it is kind of like what you would do in a play but instead of acting you write.

ok , im gonna be kickass no super powers just pure guts and mouth power .
So that means you might also be interested in role-playing, dark lord? :)

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
yay! :) Now…mmm…I’m okay either way, but I would like to ask you guys: would you like to role-play manga/anime characters? or original (created by you) characters? Or a combination of both?

DLord.Van.Buuren

Reaction score
Country
Japan
yay! :) Now…mmm…I’m okay either way, but I would like to ask you guys: would you like to role-play manga/anime characters? or original (created by you) characters? Or a combination of both?
i choose something original , i'll let my short imagination handle it .