Games - The RPG thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games The RPG thread

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
They are few RPG's posted here, so I thought gathering them here would be a good idea. So info, news, or discussions or any sort about RPG games from the ancient Diablo series until Assassin's Creed 2, featuring titles like Gothic(which is my favorite) and even MMOs. Knock URselves out, it's a wonderful gaming genre.

My favorite is the Gothic series, which ended in a total fail with Forsaken Gods, but will resurrect itself with Arcania: A Gothic Tale. This is the trailer.

I'm currently playing The Witcher and Risen.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yay, another RPGer! :hi5

Right now I'm playing Dragon Quest IX, which is pretty fun to play. :amuse

What kind of RPGs do you like: action RPG, strategy RPG, etc?

Phenom

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I play RPG's (not many. I'd like to expand on it some day), but I can't really get into them the way I want to right now with me being in school and whatnot (graduation right around the corner... Dec 2010). Depending on the game I can easily get side tracked and forget about doing homework lol.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King has side tracked me quite a few times because I like it's simple yet deep gameplay mechanics. Learning moves by distributing skill points seem far more rewarding to me. I haven't finished this game I it is my favorite RPG at the moment.

I also have a soft spot for Final Fantasy 8 considering it was the first RPG I've ever played, and it's the only RPG I've bought and sold 5 times. I know it gets a lot of flack for its characters and junction system but I enjoyed the junction system and I find Squall to be very likable because I was definately relating to the guy back when I first played it (around 2004-2005). The card game is pretty addicting once you get the hang of it, but it's really annoying with the random, plus and same rule. I'm still trying to get used to plus and same. Being at a low level and going through the game makes things far too easy, but I also enjoyed it a lot more considering I like dominating lol.

I've played a few others (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7 and Tales of the Abyss), but I don't really hold them as high as I do DQ8 and FF8.

There are some I'm looking forward to playing after I graduate though. Mainly the Shin Megami Tensei games. I've played about maybe 10 minutes of Nocturne and liked what I played, but ended up selling it in the end. I don't really want to bring my spirituality into this, but that sort of plays a role why I'm having a hard time getting the games lol. My conscience won't let me buy a game where you team up with Lucifer/Satan lol. (I joke about it a lot, but I'm still working on it lol) I've seen video walkthroughs of Persona 3 and 4 and it looks very similar to that of Dragon Quest 8 where it forces you to rely on buffs and debuffs and I dig those a lot. What's keeping me away from P3 is the thought of not being able to control your party. What's keeping me away from all is the long dungeons. Watching it on youtube, the dungeons seemed to go on far longer than it should've.

I'm also interested in Mass Effect 1 and 2. I don't really play western RPG's (I don't know why), but I have played Jade Empire which I liked, but didn't care for the character options.. (That's probably why I don't really play western rpgs)

But that's pretty much the gist of where I am with the genre.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dragon Quest VIII is a great game. The gameplay is very engaging and I really like the skill point system. I still need to finish it though. :darn

I haven't tried any western RPG either. I don't find them interesting.

Hystzen

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Final Fantasy 8 is best ever final fantasy imo..it perfect characters,plot n combat system.

Dragon Quest i enjoyed altho grinding an hour or 2 to gain 2 or 3 levels annoyed. and the plot kinda died in last half..n end boss was quite easy

Mass effect 1 is good game with some replay value not tried 2 yet as xbox broke.

Dragon Age is a decent Wrpg.

the last Rpg i enjoyed was either FF13 or The Last Remnant..i think i prefer Last Remnant tho fav rpg from the next gen consoles

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Yay, another RPGer! :hi5

Right now I'm playing Dragon Quest IX, which is pretty fun to play. :amuse

What kind of RPGs do you like: action RPG, strategy RPG, etc?
Thx riki...Ur the best;)...good to know U like RPGs as well...though it seems to me that UR a console gamer, which I will never be

Well, U said that U don't really like western rpgs...well I don't like eastern ones...they seem too flashy to me...action RPGs are my favorite though...first RPG was The Summoner, then Gothic and I became a huge fan of the series...

I just bought a new PC, so I was finally able to play these last ones, like Assassin's Creed, or Mass Effect, The Witcher...I'm basically living my dream with all these awesome games...I didn't like this Dragon Age though...the controls suck and the storyline is disappointing...

My perfect RPG would be a 3rd person game on PC, based on a manga...Naruto or Bleach would be pretty good, though I would certainly like a Ghost in the Shell series or something...

I'm also interested in Mass Effect 1 and 2. I don't really play western RPG's (I don't know why), but I have played Jade Empire which I liked, but didn't care for the character options.. (That's probably why I don't really play western rpgs)
U should definitely try it...the 1st installment's storyline is really great, personally I was surprised by certain developments...it was a pleasure to play that game, and I liked the top graphics in it...mass effect 2 is basically a set up for the 3rd one, so I liked 1 more, but it's worth playing every one of them

Last edited:

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I heard that Dragon Age's storyline was very cliche and that it was just Mass Effect in medieval time. :oh

You're a PC user? That's cool. I know that some PC users are annoyed because game developers are mostly making games for the console systems and not for PC.

That would be cool if they make an anime RPG. I don't know if there are any because most of the anime games I saw are fighting games.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Yeah same here...or at least they have a skills system or some sort of levelup system, but most games are just for fighting, and most of them or more like every game is for consoles...

Yep I'm a PC gamer alright, though I tried out PS2 back in the day...I just like good graphics, and with PC that is available...
Do you know of any RPGs for PC that are in japanese...it would really help a lot...

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately, it looks like most Japanese companies make RPGs for the console systems. Most of them are MMORPGs such as Final Fantasy XIV.

Phenom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm... Most japanese companies do make RPG's on the console for sure, but most of their games are more traditional rpg's. (Final Fantasy X, XII, Dragon Quest) Most of your MMO's are handled by other companies and those are usually on the PC (and I think the Xbox 360)

Xsoteria

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Of the 3rd person RPGs I liked Fable and KOTOR the best and the games are really legendary.

I'm one of the few people who liked the FF X the most out of the final fantasies, so don't shoot me xD

The best RPG I've ever played is without a doubt Baldur's Gate series. Though I don't think people who like eastern rpgs will like it all that much. They're missing out though! :P

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
KOTOR FTW...both installments...it was just awesome...and there are other star wars legends like the one with Katarn(forgot the title) and this Force Unleashed is pretty good as well...

Phenom

Reaction score
Country
United States
One series I've been curious about for the longest time is the Suikoden series. I haven't played any of them, but I currently have my eye on Suikoden 3 and 5. S5 just looks like a game I can enjoy from beginning to end and then S3 just looks interesting. I'm looking for more input about the games before making my decision on which one to get.

Hystzen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
ive got back into playing Valykria Chronicles on ps3 again..maybe coz the 2nd one is out in september for psp..love art syle n it fun game it different for a RPG to.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
My brother played a little bit of Valkyrie Chronicle and loved it. Too bad he's busy with other games but he planned to come back to it.

Have you tried the demo for Valkyrie Chronicles 2 yet?

Hystzen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
naw i only got a 2gb mem stick for psp n it full of Metal gear peace walker n final fantasy dissidia n crisis core sav files no room..il prob just buy it when it out n get a new memstick dont use psp that much now so get me using it again

chaoscry

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
so, there was a thread like this, let me join:)
i'd like to play resonance of fate (the freakin' acrobatic RPG):)
FFVIII was good too, but i prefer FFIX

Phenom

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been meaning to try out FFIX but could never force myself to sit down and play it (or keep it).

While I am curious about the Suikoden games, I'm also curious about Valkyrie Profile 2 and Persona 4 (despite my initial thoughts/setbacks about the game lol). Any input about those games? Trying to get as much feedback as possible before I do a blind buy.

Xsoteria

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Valkyrie Profile 2 has mixed feelings, according to my experience. Most of my friends loved it and so did I, but some disliked it.

IMO the game is the best looking game PS2 has, and that alone should be the reason enough to give it a shot. It has a lot of characters, and I mean a lot, probably more than you'll ever use, but it's done pretty well since most of those characters are spirits which you can level up then "release" and get a cool useful item instead, while your regular characters are about as numerous as they are in other RPGs.

Plot is ok, in the beginning it's not explained very well, but as you go deeper into the game and towards the end it gets a lot better and things start falling in place.

The combat is bloody awesome, it's so savage and beautiful at the same time. Lots of different enemies, lots of bosses, crapload of items... The number of abilities, attacks, special abilities, special attacks... It's greater than most of the RPGs I've ever played.

The bad things I've heard people complain about (my friends), were mainly concerning the plot (initial plot) which is just blurry rather than bad, as well as difficulty at times (which can be overcome by a little grind and then returning). Potential issues could be reaching secret chests since some of them require some tricky jumping and some brain usage.

I never played Persona, but I definitely plan to, since people have said a lot about the series, comparing it to FF's quality all the time.

Either way, if I were you I'd go for both of these. :P

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Persona series is really good. I highly recommend it. :thumbs

If you're curious about the game play, you should check out MasterLL's playlist of the game.