Discussion - The SFX Thread! | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The SFX Thread!

Porink

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I am assuming that you are translating a manga, so I would recommend translating it into romaji and leaving a Translator's note saying that romaji and what it represents. e.g, ポン ポン = pon, pon (tear drops). A lot of Manga Editors seem to do it, so it seems to be the most common way of conveying it to english readers. for verbs that are sound effects, such as ワクワク, translate it into the verb it represents. In that case, it is 沸く, which means to get excited/to boil. In the previous example, I would recommend "tremble" or "shiver", because they are both verbs that are in present tense that are commonly associated with getting excited.

I personally would recommend that you modify the art as little as possible except to restore quality, as I enjoy reading the sound effects in kana format and imagining them. That is why I recommend a footnote, or translator's note that says the transcribed sound effect (if it's not a verb), so that english readers can enjoy the same luxury.

P.S.
For phonetic sound effects, I would leave a translators note saying for example, "fuan fuan fuan (sirens)" or "poro poro (sound of tear drops falling)"
Wow, thanks a lot...

The truth is, I'm in the middle of translating a Indonesian language manga and I'm never have any kind of experience in English SFX instead of "Kapoow!" of course.. LoL... So it would be impossible for me to provide the romaji as the one I'm translated is already in Indonesian..

Ana Clara

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I prefer the japanese sound. If the original sound doesn't make sense, I just make a note