The skyforger thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The skyforger thread

skyforger

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
A quick hello.

I am not a huge manga fan per se, although I did get into a few manga while I lived in Japan (about six years or so). I picked up Japanese out of necessity (quality of life!) and did most of my studies at the Yamasa Institute for Japanese Studies in Okazaki, Japan. I cracked JLPT level 3 fairly quickly and carried onto passing level 2 under the old JLPT kyu system. I am currently doing refresher studies to do N2 under the new system with the goal of finally polishing off N1 so I can get onto other things like polishing up my Russian and German.
The manga I like most tend to ones like 加治隆介の議 which are more serious in nature, are educational, and get me to read a lot of vocabulary and grammar points that are useful for other things besides reading comics. I am actually translating 加治隆介の議 for my own entertainment but am having trouble finding RAWs, so if anyone could help out it would be much appreciated.
I am a Japanese literature/film fanatic, so much of my spare time goes to reading authors like 川端
康成 and movies like 砂の女 or pretty much anything by 北野武. I don't watch much animation, I prefer to stick to atmospheric work like Pat Labour 2 or Jin-Roh, although I will admit to being a massive fan of the Macross and AD Police series which I watched when I was a kid (I am old enough to have seen each one as they came out, well before the animation/manga fad arrived in North America and Europe).
I don't know how much I will post since I will most likely stick to things which involve grammar points or particularly tasty bits of 漢字. I am probably a good person to ask about Japanese resources (whether books or internet-based resources) since I have a done a fair amount of research in the area (not to mention books!), and would be very happy to answer these kind of questions, whether from beginners or intermediates looking to push onto the advanced level.

Pet peeves include poor English diction and spelling, and the "mysterious/awkward" school of Japanese translation.

Anyways, enough about me. よろしく!

megatyler30

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I wanted to ask if you could do me a huge favor and translate one vol. of a manga I want to scanulate myself. I tried just using online translators and they weren't any help with the time it took to type (my window's IME is messed up so it was a pain) and incorrect translations. Here's the link to the manga http://rawscans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11059. Thanks for your time.

skyforger

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I'm afraid the manga you wanted is not really my cup of tea, maybe somebody else would be more interested. I don't really want to spend a lot of time on a manga that doesn't interest me. Good luck finding someone else!

S.

trunkschan90

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, it's nice to meet you. I'm wondering if you could help translate the manga 009 Re: Cyborg, it's the story of nine people who were kidnapped and turned into cyborgs. You can learn more about the series on the official English website http://009.re-cyb.org/description/
There's a preview of the first chapter of the 009 Re: Cyborg manga on this site http://www.square-enix.com/jp/magazine/biggangan/introduction/009_re_cyborg/
Not sure if it fits in your genre interests, but if it does and are willing to help, just let me know. :)

newnew145

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Nice to meet you. I hope you can help me translate this series Little Jumper:
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=11659
It's a good and complete series, but was only translated to chap 16, before the group that scanlated it disbanded.
Overload Scans has agreed to do it, but we still lack a translator, so if you agree to help, it'd be great.
I have all of the remaining raws, so if you're interested, I'll send it to you.
Hope to hear from you soon.

skyforger

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I will take a look at it and let you know, sci-fi can always be interesting if it's done right. So far I've finished off chapter 22 of Nicoichi, which introduced me to a genre I certainly wouldn't have normally considered. My next work right now is chapter 1 of Kick no Oneesan, so we'll see how it goes before I jump into anything else. My translating interests are a bit at cross-purposes with the Manga Editors, I generally like things that have new vocabulary and grammar for me, and that means that it might take longer than some are willing to wait for translations to come out.

S.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Nice to meet you. I hope you can help me translate this series Little Jumper:
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=11659
It's a good and complete series, but was only translated to chap 16, before the group that scanlated it disbanded.
Overload Scans has agreed to do it, but we still lack a translator, so if you agree to help, it'd be great.
I have all of the remaining raws, so if you're interested, I'll send it to you.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks for your reply, I will have a look at the series and see if it piques my interest. As I mentioned before I am doing a few things right now, but we'll see how it goes.

S.

fly high

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hi skyforger =)
I hope you can help me translate this page Here

skyforger

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Some interesting bits and pieces in there, I took a quick look and I will have a go. It will be a bit difficult as I am lacking the context of the conversation and story, but some kind of workable translation can be done.

skyforger

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I am a bit fullup at the moment, but maybe sometime in the future. Good luck!

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Hi skyforger =)
I hope you can help me translate this page Here
LT = Literal Translation
TN = Translator’s Note

I use Canadian spelling, not American or British. I try to avoid “awkward/beautiful” Japanese translations, preferring normally used English wherever possible. I put names in the normal English manner, first name, family name, Japanese names don’t get special treatment. Suffixes such as -san, -chan, and -kun don’t get left in, they’re unnecessary unless they indicate a change in status or closeness which adds to the story, in which case the English gets changed.

でも俺にとっては
But for me

やっぱり異性である前に
I expect, before the opposite sex existed for me
TN: It's not easy without context, but he's basically saying "Before I met girls" or "Before girls came into my life"

”お母さん”みたいな存在だった
It was a mother-like existence

TN: As in, I just wanted to be mothered, or be taken care of by a mothering figure

。。。憧れの
that I longed for

どうしたい訳でもない
Why I wanted to do it, there was no reason

ただひたすら居心地のいい場所で甘えていたい
It was just an entirely comfortable place I wanted to live in

いつまでも
Forever

焦った。。。
Rushed

自分の。。。そういう考えに気づいた時戸惑った
My self... That kind of thinking, I was at a loss...

すごく
Greatly

すごく恥ずかしくて。。。認めたくなくて
I was terribly embarrassed... it became recognized
TN: Again without further context on the situation, hard to explain, but it sounds like everyone heard/found out about what he wanted

気づかないフリをした
I pretended not to care

すぐに
Immediately

At any rate, I hope this helps you out.

skyforger

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've finished up everything in my lineup and am on the hunt for new projects, especially things which contain N2 or N1 grammar.

Cheers,

S.