Theory - The Supreme Deity is inside the Horn of Cernunnos (Here's why) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory The Supreme Deity is inside the Horn of Cernunnos (Here's why)

OtakuFreak

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Lengthy post, but a TL.DR at the end.

A lot of people were banking on the idea of the Supreme Deity being sealed or connected to the holy sword Excalibur since Arthur had some hints/foreshadowing tying him to said God. However, I've always believed that she's actually inside the Horn of Cernunnos which was initially explained to be a ritual device to commune with the Goddesses, but as we know now, its merely a vessel for a Goddess who's identity we do not know about.

I'll be using all manga pages (77/78) moments in anime/Signs of Holy war to support my claim. (Episode 21/Episode 2) Even if signs of holy war isn't technically cannon, Nakaba still wrote it himself and we all know he's probably made changes and flushed out more detail to the story along the way, hence why the horn had more moments in season 1.5 than the early bits of manga. Anyway, there will be a TL.DR at the end if you don't enjoy long posts:

The Goddess inside the horn has a specific attitude/personality to her. She appears to be very condescending, vague and belittles people - attributes which can be applied to one of the Gods. She immediately assigned a mission to Ban and didn't explain why she wanted Meliodas dead, but I think I may know why (I'll discuss this later). There isn't much more interaction between the Goddess and Ban, except for the key detail of resurrecting Elaine as being no more than a ''trifle''. We haven't seen Goddesses indicate to the power of ''pure'' Resurrection, especially when Zaneri + Jenna who were Goddesses claimed to have been unable to save the lives of the humans who previously habituated their current bodies. If Goddesses have the power of Resurrection, why couldn't they save them? Well it either comes down to only high-tier Goddesses being able to such a task, or only the SD could - since she is a God and has immeasurable power.

Now as for Meliodas, the Goddess inside the horn commented on his unchanged appearance (curse hint 1) and mentioned that ''she couldn't resume the battle they ''waged'' 3000 years ago''. This battle I believe, was the moment of the SD + DK coming together to curse and kill Meliodas + Elizabeth and since he's immortal under the conditions of the curse - leads her to use the word ''resume''. She progresses to belittle him for having no ''friends'' in this world, among any of the races - even of his own due to his betrayal. Afterwards, she calls him a ''pitiful, pitiful, cursed child '' which fully indicates to me that this Goddess understands the true extend of Meliodas curse, adding some weight to the idea that its the SD. After all, not everyone knew that Meliodas was cursed, and even if they did - it was a ''rumour'' of sort, so how does a Goddess besides the SD know? She follows with after ''those who adore you, those who believe you and those whom you yourself love will surely leave you. This I can promise.''. She's referencing to both the sins and other people, but this is specific to Elizabeth. Meliodas truly loves Elizabeth, and she promises him that she will leave him. Well how? The SD cursed her own daughter, she knows that Meliodas can do absolutely nothing to stop Elizabeth from consistently dying and being reincarnated - she uses this to belittle him even further. To which, he goes ape shit and destroys the vessel while she laughs at him.

Now, as for why the Goddess wanted Meliodas dead. This Goddess as I explained above, knows fully well the true extend and conditions of Meliodas curse. She knows that if Ban successfully kills Meliodas, he won't die, he will just be brought back to life but with his emotions taken away. As we know with latest events, Meliodas without emotions can't feel any love or affection for Elizabeth. This means that their relationship breaks down, the SD has the potential to get her daughter back by having Meliodas out of the way. Ludoshel commented that the SD would lift the curse if Elizabeth returned to the clan. suggesting that she wants her daughter back - there is either some parental affection from SD to Eliz, or the SD just wants to use her for something (e.g heir to the throne?). But I believe she told Ban to kill Meliodas because it also benefits her ally, the Demon King. I truly believe the Gods are in secret alliance or coalition together and aren't truly enemies: so by having Meliodas lose his emotions, her ally benefits because he will return to his former self, abandon Elizabeth and become the next Demon King: which the current DK wants. It's a win-win situation for both of the Gods.

Additionally, the Goddess inside the horn has been watching the Kingdom - she was fully aware of what Meliodas title currently was (''dragon sin Meliodas'') even-though she's a God and such matters don't concern her. Her vessel is also under the Kingdom of Liones - the place her daughter resides. I believe she's been watching Elizabeth, just like how the Demon King watches Meliodas through Hawk. Both of them want their children back for different purposes. Just a few more details to consider:

She initially ignored Ban when he attempted to talk to her, but when Hawk was revealed (Demon King connection) who talked about her daughter, Elizabeth, she decided to talk to Ban and give him the mission to kill Meliodas. SD has connection with the God and Eliz,

What better Goddess to be inside the ''ritual to commune with the Goddesses'' then the SD herself?

TL.DR for key points:

• Goddess commented that Resurrection would be a ''trifle''. No Goddess has been shown to have such power. Only a God has such power?
  • Commented that she couldn't resume the battle she had with Meliodas - This battle was DK + SD vs Mel + Eliz. ''Resume'' is used here because Meliodas is immortal.
  • She calls him a ''pitiful, pitiful, cursed child'' = she knows of his curse
  • Comments that all those who love him and all does whom he loves (Elizabeth) will leave him - she promises this. Goddess knows Eliz will always die and leave him because she placed curse on her daughter = SD
  • Goddess wants Meliodas dead as he loses emotion upon death and being brought back to life = break down of Eliz and Mel relationship (currently happening) = SD gets her daughter back potentially. = DK gets his son back and next ruler of clan.
  • She's been watching Elizabeth (and the sins) through the horn underneath the Kingdom of Liones - just like how the DK watches Meliodas through Hawk.

Sorry its quite lengthy! SD is one of my favourite characters and I'm convinced she's in the horn, but I may be overthinking it :teehee.

Ideas? Agree or disagree? Go for it! :cheez:3c

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I wouldn't use condecending tone to support this. We are talking about a clan that calls itself "the goddess" clan and its members are called goddesses.

I am sure the supreme goddess can resurrect people. It also makes perfect sense that the goddess there could have lied about this. It would be among the least terrible things the goddess clan has done so far.

I question whether a mere horn could hold the supreme goddess. So far the implication is that the demon king and supreme goddess are so powerful they can't remain within the human world for long. How could a mere horn hope to hold her?

Is that bit of the anime even cannon? As far as we know this hasn't happened in the manga...

How could she watch stuff through the horn? The demon king needed hawk who was right by meliodas. Does the horn have binoculars?

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
You fully said what i believe in Otaku.

SD is onside the horn.

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I wouldn't use condecending tone to support this. We are talking about a clan that calls itself "the goddess" clan and its members are called goddesses.

I am sure the supreme goddess can resurrect people. It also makes perfect sense that the goddess there could have lied about this. It would be among the least terrible things the goddess clan has done so far.

I question whether a mere horn could hold the supreme goddess. So far the implication is that the demon king and supreme goddess are so powerful they can't remain within the human world for long. How could a mere horn hope to hold her?

Is that bit of the anime even cannon? As far as we know this hasn't happened in the manga...

How could she watch stuff through the horn? The demon king needed hawk who was right by meliodas. Does the horn have binoculars?
Sure, the Goddess Clan is quite condescending and act ''superior'' than other people in the series. But the Goddess inside the horn reeks of it.

She could've lied, yes.

We don't know the true properties of the Horn - it might be something special, it is a vague artefact after all. If the SD lost her physical form then it may be possible for any object to hold her, since she wouldn't be at her full strength and weakened.

It's not technically cannon because it hasn't happened in the manga. But, Nakaba wrote the story board and season 1.5 by himself, so you can take some validity from it. I mean, some parts of the season 1.5 have cannon information - like how Merlin started talking about the ten commandments and the Demon King. Some of it seems cannon to me whilst other parts aren't. If its wrote by Nakaba himself in person then you can take some credibility from it.

Demon King was in another dimension - she isn't (by this theory). It may be possible that she just almost ''senses'' what happens around her or can leave the horn (by spirit/soul) to watch people.

TarXan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Meliodas destroyed the horn in the OVA Nakaba wrote which happened to be canon

If anything she’s probably Hawk mama

LaserBeam

Reaction score
Country
Greece

A lot of people were banking on the idea of the Supreme Deity being sealed or connected to the holy sword Excalibur since Arthur had some hints/foreshadowing tying him to said God. However, I've always believed that she's actually inside the Horn of Cernunnos which was initially explained to be a ritual device to commune with the Goddesses, but as we know now, its merely a vessel for a Goddess who's identity we do not know about.

I'll be using all manga pages (77/78) moments in anime/Signs of Holy war to support my claim. (Episode 21/Episode 2) Even if signs of holy war isn't technically cannon, Nakaba still wrote it himself and we all know he's probably made changes and flushed out more detail to the story along the way, hence why the horn had more moments in season 1.5 than the early bits of manga. Anyway, there will be a TL.DR at the end if you don't enjoy long posts:

The Goddess inside the horn has a specific attitude/personality to her. She appears to be very condescending, vague and belittles people - attributes which can be applied to one of the Gods. She immediately assigned a mission to Ban and didn't explain why she wanted Meliodas dead, but I think I may know why (I'll discuss this later). There isn't much more interaction between the Goddess and Ban, except for the key detail of resurrecting Elaine as being no more than a ''trifle''. We haven't seen Goddesses indicate to the power of ''pure'' Resurrection, especially when Zaneri + Jenna who were Goddesses claimed to have been unable to save the lives of the humans who previously habituated their current bodies. If Goddesses have the power of Resurrection, why couldn't they save them? Well it either comes down to only high-tier Goddesses being able to such a task, or only the SD could - since she is a God and has immeasurable power.

Now as for Meliodas, the Goddess inside the horn commented on his unchanged appearance (curse hint 1) and mentioned that ''she couldn't resume the battle they ''waged'' 3000 years ago''. This battle I believe, was the moment of the SD + DK coming together to curse and kill Meliodas + Elizabeth and since he's immortal under the conditions of the curse - leads her to use the word ''resume''. She progresses to belittle him for having no ''friends'' in this world, among any of the races - even of his own due to his betrayal. Afterwards, she calls him a ''pitiful, pitiful, cursed child '' which fully indicates to me that this Goddess understands the true extend of Meliodas curse, adding some weight to the idea that its the SD. After all, not everyone knew that Meliodas was cursed, and even if they did - it was a ''rumour'' of sort, so how does a Goddess besides the SD know? She follows with after ''those who adore you, those who believe you and those whom you yourself love will surely leave you. This I can promise.''. She's referencing to both the sins and other people, but this is specific to Elizabeth. Meliodas truly loves Elizabeth, and she promises him that she will leave him. Well how? The SD cursed her own daughter, she knows that Meliodas can do absolutely nothing to stop Elizabeth from consistently dying and being reincarnated - she uses this to belittle him even further. To which, he goes ape shit and destroys the vessel while she laughs at him.

Now, as for why the Goddess wanted Meliodas dead. This Goddess as I explained above, knows fully well the true extend and conditions of Meliodas curse. She knows that if Ban successfully kills Meliodas, he won't die, he will just be brought back to life but with his emotions taken away. As we know with latest events, Meliodas without emotions can't feel any love or affection for Elizabeth. This means that their relationship breaks down, the SD has the potential to get her daughter back by having Meliodas out of the way. Ludoshel commented that the SD would lift the curse if Elizabeth returned to the clan. suggesting that she wants her daughter back - there is either some parental affection from SD to Eliz, or the SD just wants to use her for something (e.g heir to the throne?). But I believe she told Ban to kill Meliodas because it also benefits her ally, the Demon King. I truly believe the Gods are in secret alliance or coalition together and aren't truly enemies: so by having Meliodas lose his emotions, her ally benefits because he will return to his former self, abandon Elizabeth and become the next Demon King: which the current DK wants. It's a win-win situation for both of the Gods.

Additionally, the Goddess inside the horn has been watching the Kingdom - she was fully aware of what Meliodas title currently was (''dragon sin Meliodas'') even-though she's a God and such matters don't concern her. Her vessel is also under the Kingdom of Liones - the place her daughter resides. I believe she's been watching Elizabeth, just like how the Demon King watches Meliodas through Hawk. Both of them want their children back for different purposes. Just a few more details to consider:

She initially ignored Ban when he attempted to talk to her, but when Hawk was revealed (Demon King connection) who talked about her daughter, Elizabeth, she decided to talk to Ban and give him the mission to kill Meliodas. SD has connection with the God and Eliz,

What better Goddess to be inside the ''ritual to commune with the Goddesses'' then the SD herself?

TL.DR for key points:

• Goddess commented that Resurrection would be a ''trifle''. No Goddess has been shown to have such power. Only a God has such power?
  • Commented that she couldn't resume the battle she had with Meliodas - This battle was DK + SD vs Mel + Eliz. ''Resume'' is used here because Meliodas is immortal.
  • Comments that all those who love him and all does whom he loves (Elizabeth) will leave him - she promises this. Goddess knows Eliz will always die and leave him because she placed curse on her daughter = SD
  • Goddess wants Meliodas dead as he loses emotion upon death and being brought back to life = break down of Eliz and Mel relationship (currently happening) = SD gets her daughter back potentially. = DK gets his son back and next ruler of clan.
  • She's been watching Elizabeth (and the sins) through the horn underneath the Kingdom of Liones - just like how the DK watches Meliodas through Hawk.

Sorry its quite lengthy! SD is one of my favourite characters and I'm convinced she's in the horn, but I may be overthinking it :teehee.

I am pretty sure it was already told that in the excaliber they are the souls of all greatest human heroes so if they still believe that the goddess deity is in the sword they are pretty of serious evidences proving them wrong as for the rest for the rest i agree with 99%

The only thing i disagree is that i believe that the demon king cursed elizabeth with the death curse and her mother cursed her with having to ressurect again and again but the part of when she dies because of that curse within 3 days is probably the demon kings part and that's meliodas wants to became the dk in order to remove that part of the curse not sure if he will be able to remove the curse of the goddess deity.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Meliodas destroyed the horn in the OVA Nakaba wrote which happened to be canon

If anything she’s probably Hawk mama
I doubt it's hawk mama if she was hawk mama then why she even assist the sins? She dislikes meliodas i think hawk mama is something.

Fraudin said something in chapter 122 " The powers that coursed through this land flow through the animals, plants and humans"

Perhaps hawk mama is a pig that somehow got a great amount of magic within it and turned like this.

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I am pretty sure it was already told that in the excaliber they are the souls of all greatest human heroes so if they still believe that the goddess deity is in the sword they are pretty of serious evidences proving them wrong as for the rest for the rest i agree with 99%

The only thing i disagree is that i believe that the demon king cursed elizabeth with the death curse and her mother cursed her with having to ressurect again and again but the part of when she dies because of that curse within 3 days is probably the demon kings part and that's meliodas wants to became the dk in order to remove that part of the curse not sure if he will be able to remove the curse of the goddess deity.
The curse is a combined effort of the Gods - that's why regardless of which power type (Goddess or Demon) you have, as long as the power is on par to the Gods, you can break the curse.

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hendrickson can resurrect people, so it's not actually that big of a ability.
why do you like the SD so munch? I'm far from biased, but I still think the DK is a horrible person and route more for Meliodas and Zeldris.

LaserBeam

Reaction score
Country
Greece
why do you like the SD so munch? I'm far from biased, but I still think the DK is a horrible person and route more for Meliodas and Zeldris.
He has only revive someone 1-2 times the more he revives the same dude the more messed up he is.

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
He has only revive someone 1-2 times the more he revives the same dude the more messed up he is.
point still stands that it's not that impressive a feat especially to justify a character being a literal god, when a human descended from a group who worshiped your people could do it.

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
It's not pure resurrection. People lose a piece of their soul (and personality) every time it happens.

I like the SD so much because she visually looks amazing. Gigantic, 10 wings, a God, mother to my character favourite character, affect the story in so many ways, massive hype etc.

point still stands that it's not that impressive a feat especially to justify a character being a literal god, when a human descended from a group who worshiped your people could do it.
Fair enough.

sobreno

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Djibouti
She can't watch the Sins and her daughter that she couldn't care less from that horn if she was really inside that horn.

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
She can't watch the Sins and her daughter that she couldn't care less from that horn if she was really inside that horn.
Nowhere is this implied. In fact, its more implied that the Goddess Clan want Elizabeth back.

Tragicdeath

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States

TL.DR for key points:

Great thoughts explendid bravo. I think my gutt feeling is suggesting SD is inside Bartra's. I dont have great explanation about this said matter but Bartra seems off sometimes.

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nowhere is this implied. In fact, its more implied that the Goddess Clan want Elizabeth back.
name one (other then Ludo basically bribing her) instance of anyone who isn't her friend from the Goddess wanting her to rejoin?

Undina

Reaction score
Country
Romania
name one (other then Ludo basically bribing her) instance of anyone who isn't her friend from the Goddess wanting her to rejoin?
Name one friend she is still confirmed to have in the GC. The only "friend" of hers in that clan we have addressed as such is Jalamet who turned into one of her most determined enemies after Elizabeth disregarded her wish for Ellie to break up with Mel.

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
Name one friend she is still confirmed to have in the GC. The only "friend" of hers in that clan we have addressed as such is Jalamet who turned into one of her most determined enemies after Elizabeth disregarded her wish for Ellie to break up with Mel.
Which should tell you how messed up the GC is. Also Meliodas said she was Elizabeth's best friend.

Kay3795

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Which should tell you how messed up the GC is. Also Meliodas said she was Elizabeth's best friend.
I disagree! I think do in fact think the Goddesses are messed up, but not for this reason.

It's purely Human nature to back out of a relationship not profitable or beneficial whatsoever. I find that folks deceive themselves, betray their real cogitations & intentions by feeding others, even friends, fables or lies on just how far they're willing to go for a friend. They'd say something like "we've BFF" but that BFF could easily turn to WEF (worst enemies forever lol) in a literally blink of an eye if something unbecoming was done in their eyes.

Let's unveil some deep truths about relationships. Observe that those who say "BFF" can easily say something like "I'll be your friend but...." when circumstances get tough, painful & even depressing? The moment you hear a but, which signifies a condition, know that there are definite parameters which you absolutely mustn't cross in order to prevent that kind of relationship from being tarnished or even completely broken. For example, If a murderer, a friend of another person, mistakenly kills his friend's family members; Gut's, I think you would be remiss in thinking that friend is messed up for no longer wanting to not only associate with that murderer anymore but also developing hatred for that murderer. The murderer simply crossed the parameter, get it?

Elizabeth choice to associate herself with Meliodas, a Demon Prince, a renowned Goddess Slayer, was definitely a taboo! Gut's, I think you would also be remiss in thinking Elizabeth's best friend is messed up for not following Liz every step of the way with her very heavy baggage. The load Liz decided to carry hindered their friendship & it was simply a cut-off point for Liz's best friend, & guess what? I don't blame her! If Liz's bestfriend thought that she shouldn't have to compromise herself to that extent for Liz, then that's simply her right. It's not be force!

There are certain people you (Gut's) would never be able to associate with in life, & there are also levels to which you'd involve yourself with certain people in your life, right? That means you have your own parameter & your own but.....

Last edited:

Undina

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Err, no, they're not that messed up, before we got the she-bang with Ellie being confirmed as goddess AND royalty over there we had some character build for Jenna and Zanerri and then we found out(from the trolls omakes) they're also goddesses which truly puts into perspective the GC as a whole has as much philosophic diversity behind the declared status quo as any other relatively "exposed" clan in this series. It's not hard to expect there may be other decent/half decent members of the GC. Nakaba usually offers a pretty good reason why a young/adult character has a certain personality and at the very least hints it all comes from the upbringing and its circumstances(which is a very realistic and enjoyable method of character building, imho), so, I believe there must be even good/kind/open-minded goddess seniors preceding Elizabeth who must've influenced her into growing up as loving and open-minded as she is. Just as it was emphasised that the love and (over)protectiveness of her current adoptive family made her into the usually meek and too kind Elizabeth we knew before her awakening.

PeanutButterJelly

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I think Cath has something to do with the SD. Hawk was used by the DK ,meanwhile the Cath could be used by the SD .