Theory - The Titan Theory | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory The Titan Theory

Springles

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
So, recently I've been thinking long and hard about how the Titans, Titan Shifters, and Humans are all related. So I've formulated my own theory about how all of them are related. We're going to take into account;
1. Ilse's Notebook/Journal
2. Ymir
3. The Titan Serum

KEEP IN MIND, THIS IS ALL SPECULATION. MY THEORY IS BOUND TO HAVE ENDLESS ENDLESS HOLES AND MAY RAISE MORE QUESTIONS THAT BURST THIS SNK BALLOON.

Starting with Ilse's Journal, we discover that Ilse has come across a titan but a strange one indeed. This one actually has the ability to form words and doesn't instantly attack Ilse. What's odd is that this titan addresses Ilse as "Ymir-sama" and says things like, "Ymir's people,". Now this raises several questions, how does it know Ymir? How is it able to speak? Why is this titan different from the others? What I find most interesting about this flashback, is the humanity that is shown in the titan. I may be interpreting this wrong but after questions the titan, it seems to be undergoing an internal conflict. It's trying to fight back the urge to eat Ilse, to consume her. But it cannot. It fails and kills Ilse. Why? Because eating humans is the Titan's natural impulse, they cannot deny their natural instincts. But why, why, why? What's the point of eating humans? That leads us to Ymir.

Ymir is a titan, that's old news. Just another one of those raving monsters roaming outside the wall until she kills and eats Marcel (Reiner and Bertholdt's childhood friend), gaining the ability to transform between human and Titan. One main detail I want to point out is the fact that Marcel is a titan shifter, and his death triggered something in Ymir, allowing her to transform into human.

And then we have the serum that both Grisha and Historia's father, Rod possessed. The serum that transformed you into a titan. Now Grisha uses this on Eren and it transforms him into a titan. But once he eats his father, Eren returns to normal. The serum required a human life in order to fully gain the powers of a Titan Shifter. Now what if the liquid works by activating something within the body that usually lies dormant? A trigger of sorts.

So, why do Titans eat humans mercilessly and mindlessly? It may be simpler than you or I thought. To merely become human. To gain back what they once lost. At some point, all Titans were human, or vice versa. Or better yet, all humans could transform into titans. How else could the ancient walls have been built by Titans themselves? Some of the Titan Shifters could've lost their minds, their powers, the ability to transform back into humans.

Ymir describes her time as a titan as a "nightmare", not recalling much about those days. So what if Titans have lost their humanity completely? Driven by a single urge. To consume. To eat. To one day gain the power to become a human. It's this impulse that turns the titans into brainless beasts. That's why the titan Ilse encountered possessed human-like qualities. Regret, remorse, conflict, guilty pleasures. In addition to that Ymir was only able to become a human because she "acquired" the shifting power by eating Marcel.

What if all the Titan Shifters in the beginning possessed a special gene or mutation that was activated with each transformation? The same gene that the serum triggers, allowing the transformation into a titan. This information could only be known within special groups, such as the Royal Family or Reiner and Bertholdt's homeland. It would explain why Reiner and Bertholdt (and Annie) seem to have the ability to transform into Titans, as well as why the Reiss family has the serum as well.

I was all over the place before so let me try and condense the information. It's more likely that all humans in the beginning were able to transform into Titans freely thanks to a special gene or mutation within their bodies that allowed this evolution. But somehow these Titan Shifters lost the ability to become humans and began to eat the remaining Titan Shifters to reattain this power. This cycle continued until the gene became dormant once more. Titans have become mindless beings that eat humans, hoping to become one themselves in the process. However Titan Shifters still exist in remote locations (Reiner, Bertholdt, and Annie's homeland) or are created artificially using a serum that the Reiss family (and Grisha Jaegar) own.

Now this theory itself isn't very strong in its origin. Even I'm unsure about how the Titans and the humans came to be like how it is in the current day and age. Whether all humans could become titans, whether they coexisted, whether titans were once humans, or humans were once titans, I don't know. But I do know that they are related, somehow, someway.

And that's pretty much everything! :^_^:^_^:^_^

Haze

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I agree with the fact that titans actually devour humans in order to try and eat a shifter.No wonder you find torso's and arms lying around a titan's devouring spot.
As for creation of titans, idk if it could be possible for humans to possess genes that lie dormant but it does sound to be a viable theory.Unlikely however.The building of the walls have been revealed in the uprising arc,though what really intrigues me is how the shifters came into being. As a shifter has to devour another, there has to exist a method different from that which allowed the first generation of shifters to take place. Well as long as you feed half a human to two different titans and breed 2 shifters that way,I can see the shifter population grow.
Apart from that though what intrigues me is the god titan coming into existence. It seems to have built the walls and protected humans that way. Though there have been shifters probably older than the walls themselves (Beast titan am assuming is definitely older),then is is it possible that the first king only came later? Assuming that Beasty is actually older than the walls?
Too many things to speculate though, lol.