Discussion - The Wine Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Wine Thread

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
I was shocked to see that there was not a Wine thread already created. While I've talked about whiskeys and beers and even other spirits before with people, first and foremost my beverage of choice for any meal is a nice bottle of wine.

(Pictured is a bottle of 2004 Pride Cabernet Sauvignon - Excellent with a succulent steak)

I know that wine isn't exactly common amongst us nerdy folk (which by my count, tend to prefer beer by far), but there has to be some folks on this forum who enjoy a nice glass of Vino.

My personal tastes tend toward the full bodied big CA wines I grew up on (Paso Robles Zinfindel (and no, White Zinfindel is not a real wine), Napa Valley Cabernet and Syrahs, etc), but I've also grown incredibly fond of the delicate and subtle Rhone reds from France. Though honestly, I'm not terribly picky with styles and regions as long as they entice my palate.

So which of you out there enjoy a nice bottle (or glass for you light drinkers) or Wine? Any specific styles or varietals? We can talk about just about anything wine related here whether you want to ask me questions about wine or if you want to talk about how to pair certain kinds of foods with wine. All conversation is welcome.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Despite being French, I'm not very knowledgeable in wine tasting. But I like drinking it.
This thursday was "Beaujolais Nouveau" event. This is supposed to be very popular in Japan which has always been a wonder since it's really not a very good wine in majority.
BTW Sai, do you read Kami no Shizoku ?

Reactions: Sai

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Well certainly just being French doesn't automatically mean you have to be an expert in wine. Though it does mean you have easy access to some of the best wines in the world right in your own backyard in a sense.

As for Beaujolais Nouveau, I find that people enjoy drinking it because of its affordability and ease of drinking. As a result of its low fermentation time, it has very low tannins (tannins are the compounds in wine that impart bitterness and can make the mouthfeel dry) and will typically be sweeter and lower in alcohol content than other wines. I can see how the Japanese would like that as it would be more accessible to their palate and still have the prestige of being a 'French' wine.

Personally, I enjoy wines with much more depth and age. For French wines, that of course means Bordeaux wines...which can also be exorbitantly pricey (Though, there are plenty of smaller winemakers on the edge of the Bordeaux region that make equally delicious Bordeaux style wines). For daily drinking, there are many lovely Cote du Rhone GSMs around that are of great value.

and yes, I quite like Kami no Shizuku. I wish the Edited Mangas were still going on...though I guess I could go buy the raws...

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Indeed we have access to lot's of good wine for relatively cheep price. Though some regions are more expensive than others. Burgondy wines are great but it's hard to find good bottles below 10-15€.
Beside Côtes du Rhones, I also enjoy Val de Loire wines. They are easy to drink and perfect for parties or a picnics. And if you like sweet wines the coteau du Layon is great for an appetizer.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

by the way I don't know if you know about French comics but this one is a wonderful graphic novel about wine by one of my favourite artist.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm afraid I can't say much about specific brands since they all taste the same to me right now. (The horror! :gwah) Hopefully I can find a bottle that I really like in the future.

I prefer white wine to red. The taste of red wine is a little too strong for me even though I become more tipsy with white. LOL

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Thats actually quite normal for people to start with whites over reds. Whites are typically chilled and the colder temperature numbs some of the more overt flavors to your tongue. Actually, here in the Americas i find people typically overchill their white wines so they do essentially all taste the same because theyre all too cold to discern the different flavors and noses.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thats actually quite normal for people to start with whites over reds. Whites are typically chilled and the colder temperature numbs some of the more overt flavors to your tongue. Actually, here in the Americas i find people typically overchill their white wines so they do essentially all taste the same because theyre all too cold to discern the different flavors and noses.
Ooh, I never knew that. It's probably the same here too.

Do you have any recommendation for red wines for newbies like me? Since I live in Canada, I should probably be able to get the same brands as you do.

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Wine brands very regionally and by importer typically. I live in California, so I have more access than usual to all sorts of types of wine from all over (plus a ton of great wine produced in state...Napa Valley//Though I'm more partial to Paso Robles and Alexander Valley).

For a white wine drinker, I would typically refer they start with a Pinot Noir. Those are typically lighter red wines and can often go with the same kinds of foods that white wines are often paired with. i.e. You can actually drink pinot noir with Sushi.

Williams Seylem Vineyards makes some excellent California Pinot Noir. See if you can find a bottle from them. They have a bunch of vintages and locations though. I figure I'll just start you off with the vineyard and varietal though...

Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't drink wine very often at all, but I think my preference would go towards red. Unless it's a group meal, in which we'd usually get a bottle of white, since the girls would prefer that more. Plus I find red accompanies my meats of choice much better than white.

With work, we were at KPMG once and after we finish we got to taste some of the wines they had used for their partner's dinners, one of which was a 93 bottle of Chateau Margaux I think. My favourite red wine; I really ought to find the name of this. It went so well with the beef I had that day.

Also on another note, has anyone ever tried a Moscato D'asti wine before? I shared a bottle whilst at an italian restaurant a while back, it's quite sweetish and sparkling but I liked it.

Last edited:

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Ah a Chateau Margaux. That's a Bordeaux wine. Chateau Margaux is a pretty famous winery/vineyard for that area. In fact it's one of the big 5 first growth vineyards of the Bordeaux region. This means, it's one of the top of the top XD. This would be the wine you speak of: http://www.wine.com/v6/Chateau-Margaux-1993/wine/6534/detail.aspx?state=CA

I'd have loved to get a taste of a '93 vintage of that. I've only had a taste of an '05 once.

Bordeaux wines are typically very subtle and complex in flavor. Lots of depth to them. It wouldn't surprise me that it went well with the beef as the varietals are all those that lend well to beef (cabernet sauvignon, mertlot, cabernet franc etc). Typically bigger, bolder with lots of earthiness to go with the savoriness of the meat XD.

I've had Moscato D'asti before, but it isn't my usual choice for a dessert wine. Typically I like to go with a nice Tawney Port. I do like Moscato though, it just isn't quite my preference. Honestly, if I'm going for an after dinner drink...I'll typically go with scotch anyhow >.>

TStew

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've enjoyed wine far longer than beer actually, beer has been something I've only picked up in the last few years. I started with the sweet whites like most probably do. There is a large amish presence nearby here in Ohio, and many wineries that are amish style - sweet, and lots of various fruit wines. Though I've graduated to mostly dry reds, I still do enjoy the sweet amish wines from time to time. One of my favorite sweet wines is a ceramic bottle of Breitenbach 4-Barrel Tawny Port although their Blackberry and Honey Frosted Apricot are also a favorite.

But my norm now is usually dry reds, Cabernet, Pinot Noir, and Malbec, etc. I tend to try something different every time, so I don't really have a go to, except perhaps one I keep circling back to thats good and fairly inexpensive... Alamos Malbec from Argentina. I love having that with some spicy Mexican or chile, or even a good bold seasoned venison steak. For cheap wines, I find you can't beat Yellow Tail Shiraz in the bang per buck. No other $7 bottle still delivers the intense flavors it does.