Character - The Zenitsu Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character The Zenitsu Thread

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Discuss everything related to him here

Last edited:

Laminariales

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Actually he was the 2nd in the first popularity poll, I wonder where he'll place now, of the mains he's my favorite. and the only anime voice becide kanao I liked from the begining

Although I think the anime didn't present him in the humorous parts as well as the manga, that might hurt his popularity

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Admiral Teach

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
I just wanna say Zenitsu's lightning-bolted sword has to be the most awesome sword design in the series. We should have a contest for that. Or a poll. Let's not even let the non-Zenitsu fans have a fair chance. Just put the poll at the top and be done. Something like this:

"Do you think Zenitsu's lightning-pattern hamon is the coolest in KnY?"
1. Yes
2. You even have to ask? Of course!
3. Who doesn't?
4. I don't know what a Hamon is but sure
:blush

About the humor aspect of Zenitsu and my analysis of it within the two mediums of manga and anime, yadayada thesisomething:

He was definitely a highlight of the manga, humor-wise, our Zenitsu. Honestly, the voice actor did great, but he naturally has this really cool, heroic voice. Too heroic. It kept putting this badass image into my head. It was just surreal to hear that voice coming out of Zenitu that projects this awesome presence right in the middle of a cowardly rant. His antic voice, which he used more often in the scenes that were meant to be truly ridiculous, hit the right tone though.

But honestly, Ufotable's achilles heal is their humor. Really. They animated the humorous scenes, mostly involving Zenitsu, so well, that it ended up being too good... I mean, keeping coloration consistent is great and all, but they kept everything a little too on point for "normal" behavior. Sorry, not sure if I'm describing my impressions well or if I'm just rambling.

So, basically, whenever most anime do something really humorous, the artwork gets more naturally... deformed. That's artwork. There was also this animation factor too, where Zenitsu seemed to be a little too rigid, as if he were acting the scenes out or something. It was like Ufotable's team had so perfectly styled the characters that they could not figure out how to break their molds of perfection. The animated scenes still have silly deformation and antics, but it somehow feels... completely off from the tone the episodes set.

The best example is Zenitsu hugging himself outside the forest while Tanjirou and Inosuke went ahead. It was this scene used in one of Mangahelpers' Manga Awards contests for its voting round. Actually, it was that campaign that got me to read Kimetsu no Yaiba. I would NEVER have watched otherwise! (Whoever did that, thank you!). That scene was hilarious in the manga. It played out in this ridiculous fashion and if I'm not mistaken even has a potato-head art styling. (I think. Gotta reread that.)

But Ufotable, bless them, were just unable work the scene into the atmosphere of choking dread they built up. :XD Like, they have Zenitsu go through the proper motions of a funny scene. But it just... doesn't work. There's literally no humor and I was left feeling like Inosuke after watching. the studio had gone full Fate Zero with Kimetsu no Yaiba. And it killed the humor for the most part. It was as awkward as watching Saber and Gilgamesh suddenly stop their final epic fight to have a humorous gag scene would be. Again, poor Ufotable, bless them. They KNOW how to do epic, but couldn't fit the humor in. Just about everything regarding his scenes in the haunted house were frankly painful to watch. :facepalm

I think it's because of the music, honestly. Their choice was not whimsical or silly enough to cut through the dread. That, and the humor in the manga always felt like a 4th wall break, or whatever the proper literary term or trope is, where the characters' behavior is exaggerated beyond the context of the story. (Which is why Tanjirou and Inosuke don't properly turn from Zenitsu in disgust when they see him huddling like a helpless child in the middle of the road. And then later don't respond or react to this. It's because his behavior is not true character development, but a humorous gag scene that just "happens" to help define him. It's weird. But it's not the same weird humor-development in stories like One Piece, where the gags are legit part of the world.)

This issue got fixed in the remedial training arc at the end. Zenitsu's freak-out after seeing the therapy training hit the appropriate "mood" for comedy. I think Ufotable, being the dastardly competent people they are, were aware of their shortcomings and corrected them by that point. Did others find the humor on point, by that arc? Because it felt like it was the first legit episode where I and hopefully the general audience "felt" like we should be laughing.

It's not a Zenitsu moment, but the humor also was improved for that whole arc. It speaks well that future Zenitsu moments will remain funny, even though I think we're past most of the better ones. Well, they animated his Thunder Breath gloriously, so at least watching his fight scenes was a sight to behold. Many times. Many, many replays over.

Laminariales

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
By the others character of course
Before redlight district I was worried they'll never see him in action,, most of zenitsu's fights are solo. I go back and forth over his best arc, the conclusion of Vs kaigaku is the best emotionally but the scene when he appeared behind inosuke, when he took daki to the rooftop, and the second thunder clap against daki are some of his best moments, truely the coolest (and they will look amazing animated)

Anywho he's adequately liked by the other three, then there is inosuke

The best example is Zenitsu hugging himself outside the forest while Tanjirou and Inosuke went ahead. It was this scene used in one of Mangahelpers' Manga Awards contests for its voting round. Actually, it was that campaign that got me to read Kimetsu no Yaiba. I would NEVER have watched otherwise! (Whoever did that, thank you!). That scene was hilarious in the manga. It played out in this ridiculous fashion and if I'm not mistaken even has a potato-head art styling. (I think. Gotta reread that.)

This issue got fixed in the remedial training arc at the end. Zenitsu's freak-out after seeing the therapy training hit the appropriate "mood" for comedy. I think Ufotable, being the dastardly competent people they are, were aware of their shortcomings and corrected them by that point. Did others find the humor on point, by that arc? Because it felt like it was the first legit episode where I and hopefully the general audience "felt" like we should be laughing.

It's not a Zenitsu moment, but the humor also was improved for that whole arc. It speaks well that future Zenitsu moments will remain funny, even though I think we're past most of the better ones. Well, they animated his Thunder Breath gloriously, so at least watching his fight scenes was a sight to behold. Many times. Many, many replays over.
The forest scene, I remember dying laughing at that high maintenance dude xD I'm not sure if it's animating/directing fault or is it intentional or not, but he came off more disgusting than jealous or disparate. I do agree it gotten better near the end but they had to remove fun cute scene like kanao falling over, and add stuff like the goodbye to the butterfly estate girls which in the manga was one cute panel of everyone crying, Idk I question their choices.

I remembered, I'm so angry vol. 17 cover is not zenitsu with lightning sword X(
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

In the fanbook, nexuko think zenitsu is a bizzare dandelion, walking past this lol dandelion apparently have meaning in flower language despite being a pest

"As such a common weed, the Dandelion didn’t even merit a mention in the Victorian language of flowers. That didn’t stop Medieval peasants and modern spiritualists from considering it a symbolic flower. Most modern admirers consider it a symbol of fighting through the challenges of life and emerging victorious on the other side. Others use it as a visual reminder of the sun’s power, especially when depression or grief makes it hard to stay sunny. Of course, there is a long running folk belief that blowing out the white puffball of seeds that the flowers turns into will grant you one wish. Others use it as a reminder to use intelligence in dealing with every kind of situation. Finally, most people agree that the Dandelion looks so cheerful and happy, even when it is taking over a sidewalk or shading out grass in a lawn."

Last edited:

everythingnice

Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Zenitsu is the best character in Kimetsu no Yaiba. Cowardly, but also works hard when it counts. He's also funny, and speaks for a reader who would react exactly like him in dangerous situations.

Zenitsu's fight against Kaigaku was amazing. It was short, and even though I wanted it to last a bit longer I still loved that Zenitsu stayed true to his oneshot status. His seventh form is just amazing. Breath of Thunder is my favorite because Zenitsu's personal form impressed me a bit too much because I wasn't really expecting something like that from him. And the fact that Breath of Thunder also comes in different colors like blue, yellow, black.

His Nichirin Blade is also my favorite. I really like that lightning design it has.

His sharp hearing may also enable him to listen to Nezuko's heart, but this is just my headcanon for my favorite ship. I want ZenitsuxNezuko to happen (not necessarily in the main story). Nezuko's main type is a hisha and it fits Zenitsu's attacks. So I'm fairly confident in the ship.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

In the fanbook, nexuko think zenitsu is a bizzare dandelion, walking past this lol dandelion apparently have meaning in flower language despite being a pest

"As such a common weed, the Dandelion didn’t even merit a mention in the Victorian language of flowers. That didn’t stop Medieval peasants and modern spiritualists from considering it a symbolic flower. Most modern admirers consider it a symbol of fighting through the challenges of life and emerging victorious on the other side. Others use it as a visual reminder of the sun’s power, especially when depression or grief makes it hard to stay sunny. Of course, there is a long running folk belief that blowing out the white puffball of seeds that the flowers turns into will grant you one wish. Others use it as a reminder to use intelligence in dealing with every kind of situation. Finally, most people agree that the Dandelion looks so cheerful and happy, even when it is taking over a sidewalk or shading out grass in a lawn."
Funny how the Sun doesn't harm Nezuko in any way. I really love this symbolism. Great job on hinting little things like this, Gotouge.

Gladiolus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I feel like Gotouge did Zenitsu and, to a lesser extend, Inosuke dirty after the Red Light District arc. He along with Inosuke was separated from the main group during the Swordsmith Village arc, then reappeared for the Pillar training and in the last arc his confrontation with Kaigaku and the death of his master were very rushed. Is like if Gotouge didn't want to focus much on Zenitsu, so she gave him a quick fight to content his fans then moved on to other stuff.

I think that an arc before the Infinite Fortress one centered in Zenitsu, introducing Kaigaku as a villain and showing the death of their master would have been a good idea. That way you give Kaigaku build-up as a villain instead of showing him as a jobber antagonist only made to make Zenitsu do something in the arc, make the demise of the master less sudden and more emotive, and you make Zenitsu's motivation during the Pillar training arc more personal and emotional for the audience. I think Gotouge missed something interesting with this situation, tbh, and I don't even like Zenitsu that much.

Last edited:

everythingnice

Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
I feel like Gotouge did Zenitsu and, to a lesser extend, Inosuke dirty after the Red Light District arc. He along with Inosuke was separated from the main group during the Swordsmith Village arc, then reappeared for the Pillar training and in the last arc his confrontation with Kigaku and the death of his master were very rushed. Is like if Gotouge didn't want to focus much on Zenitsu, so she gave him a quick fight to content his fans then moved on to other stuff.

I think that an arc before the Infinite Fortress one centered in Zenitsu, introducing Kaigaku as a villain and showing the death of their master would have been a good idea. That way you give Kaigaku build-up as a villain instead of showing him as a jobber, pathetic villain only made to make Zenitsu do something in the arc, make the demise of the master less sudden and more emotive, and you make Zenitsu's motivation during the Pillar training arc more personal and emotional for the audience. I think Gotouge missed something interesting with this situation, tbh, and I don't even like Zenitsu that much.
What you said is completely true. As a Zenitsu fan this mistreatment is seriously upsetting me. His fight with Kaigaku ended with even more desire than before. Characters underestimating him was one thing but seriously he got underestimated by even Gotouge now. He had way more potential than showed:waah
:emocat

Mirage

Reaction score
Country
Canada
THUNDERCLAP AND FLASH.

I definitely wish we had more sleepy Zenitsu, and to that extent I wish Zenitsu got the character development he needed in order to always act like, well, not a pussy.