Theory - Three theories about how Escanor / Gawain could return in the sequel. | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Three theories about how Escanor / Gawain could return in the sequel.

Which theory is the most possible?

• First theory: "Romantic Wanderer"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ann Firestar

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Hello! Because of the complete absence of at least some news about the sequel or “the promised one-shots”, I finally had finished my theories on Escanor, which I mentioned several times on other threads. These three are in my head under the stamp "the most possible", but this does not mean that they all cannot be as wrong as possible.

This is a very long ride, so sit back and enjoy it. (Warning, after setting up theories, I fall a little into fanfic territory, but I could not resist)

Let's get started!

First, the basic stuff about these theories.

Escanor will be reborn but lose all memory of past life. Perhaps he will remember something from there as images or emotions. (Examples: Jacob Kowalski from the end of Fantastic Beasts or the Tenth Doctor from the Family of Blood) Naturally, without having the traumatic experience that he received in Castello, he will grow up to be a different person (of course with a different name) (for a good or bad side is optional). One way or another, sooner or later he will stumble upon one of the old characters or their offsprings and, accordingly, will be involved in at least one arc. (This is such a necessary minimum that his "return" does not seem far-fetched.)

First theory: "Romantic Wanderer"

This theory is based on the fact that in his early years Escanor moved a lot from point to point, never staying for a long time in one place. Then it was in an attempt not to harm anyone, but he never spoke badly about the nomadic way of life, so it can be assumed that he really likes such kind of life.

Escanor is born into an ordinary family that lives on the outskirts and does something basic. Since childhood he likes to write poetry or maybe even sing and at the age of “n” he decides to start traveling. Perhaps he stumbles upon the reincarnations of other characters or even our heroes, but they naturally do not recognize him.

And so, while traveling, he finds himself in a life-threatening situation due to which the power of the sun awakens in him (I think it was the attacks of his brother that activated the power in the first time). Mael quickly finds him (that sketch from the preview) and takes him “under his wing”. Well, then everything else.

The second theory, my favorite at this moment: "The Evil Prince"

Well, of course, not EVIL, evil, but rather with wrong morals and values.

He is born in a kingdom only for people, which was built by Deathpierce (Escanor is his son or will be accepted into the royal family) As a child, he manifests strength, but since he is biologically human, no one tries to expel him from the kingdom. He is raised as the crown prince (training in politics, combat, court behavior, etc.) whom he was destined to become in a past life.

Naturally, he grows up saturated with the ideology of this kingdom and its values. After the death of the king (well, or while still being a prince, it doesn't matter here), he goes to the general council of kings of united Britain, which is logically headed by Arthur and with him, as an adviser, is Merlin.

She does not recognize him and just passively communicates with him, but Escanor naturally falls head over heels in love (magicians are also people, there is no fails in logic here) He had a plan before that to get into her trust in order to get the "ancient magical artifact name" and combining its powers with his own to destroy all other races (sounds big enough for the villain of the arch?)

Under the disguise of an idea “to make the kingdom more open”, he lures all the leaders and the maximum number of non-humans to the festival. On it, Merlin understands (not without help of new mains) that this is the reincarnation of Escanor and he needs to be stopped. It turns out it is doubtful (now those who have watched the Hathers musical will understand where such ideas come from) he is locked with an explosive artifact in the ideal cube and Merlin tries to advise him against doing what he planned. He says something like, “Even if I stop now, nothing else awaits me. With such terrible sins behind my back, I will never find a place for myself. ”(Poetic, isn’t it?) And he is either talk out of it or somehow saved after he tries to prevent the explosion. The bottom line is that he turns out to be a redeemable villain like Hendrickson or Dreyfus.

Third theory: "Archangel"

It is based on the fact that we have already been promised that the archangels will be reborn at the expense of their blessings, which in fact adds Escanor to their ranks. Accordingly, the whole team will go into the story along with the supreme goddess and details about the rest of the remaining angels. (There won't be a long text because there is too much to think about)

Bonus!

I (after one fanfic a year ago and that phrase from chapter 333) have an assumption that Escanor was actually there 3000 years ago and lived in Bellaluin, but he was simply not noticed. And he, being not the most skillful sorcerer (and a child 12 years old), did not quite correctly use some kind of spell and cursed himself as DK cursed Elizabeth (we know for sure that this is possible, because this was done by Merlin) but he was planning something like a promise from the witcher and later died in the fall of the kingdom. So, life pushes him constantly to Merlin, who until the last time ignored him. And now something supposed to change in this chain.

I hope you enjoyed my thought train.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello! Because of the complete absence of at least some news about the sequel or “the promised one-shots”, I finally had finished my theories on Escanor, which I mentioned several times on other threads. These three are in my head under the stamp "the most possible", but this does not mean that they all cannot be as wrong as possible.

This is a very long ride, so sit back and enjoy it. (Warning, after setting up theories, I fall a little into fanfic territory, but I could not resist)

Let's get started!

First, the basic stuff about these theories.

Escanor will be reborn but lose all memory of past life. Perhaps he will remember something from there as images or emotions. (Examples: Jacob Kowalski from the end of Fantastic Beasts or the Tenth Doctor from the Family of Blood) Naturally, without having the traumatic experience that he received in Castello, he will grow up to be a different person (of course with a different name) (for a good or bad side is optional). One way or another, sooner or later he will stumble upon one of the old characters or their offsprings and, accordingly, will be involved in at least one arc. (This is such a necessary minimum that his "return" does not seem far-fetched.)

First theory: "Romantic Wanderer"

This theory is based on the fact that in his early years Escanor moved a lot from point to point, never staying for a long time in one place. Then it was in an attempt not to harm anyone, but he never spoke badly about the nomadic way of life, so it can be assumed that he really likes such kind of life.

Escanor is born into an ordinary family that lives on the outskirts and does something basic. Since childhood he likes to write poetry or maybe even sing and at the age of “n” he decides to start traveling. Perhaps he stumbles upon the reincarnations of other characters or even our heroes, but they naturally do not recognize him.

And so, while traveling, he finds himself in a life-threatening situation due to which the power of the sun awakens in him (I think it was the attacks of his brother that activated the power in the first time). Mael quickly finds him (that sketch from the preview) and takes him “under his wing”. Well, then everything else.

The second theory, my favorite at this moment: "The Evil Prince"

Well, of course, not EVIL, evil, but rather with wrong morals and values.

He is born in a kingdom only for people, which was built by Deathpierce (Escanor is his son or will be accepted into the royal family) As a child, he manifests strength, but since he is biologically human, no one tries to expel him from the kingdom. He is raised as the crown prince (training in politics, combat, court behavior, etc.) whom he was destined to become in a past life.

Naturally, he grows up saturated with the ideology of this kingdom and its values. After the death of the king (well, or while still being a prince, it doesn't matter here), he goes to the general council of kings of united Britain, which is logically headed by Arthur and with him, as an adviser, is Merlin.

She does not recognize him and just passively communicates with him, but Escanor naturally falls head over heels in love (magicians are also people, there is no fails in logic here) He had a plan before that to get into her trust in order to get the "ancient magical artifact name" and combining its powers with his own to destroy all other races (sounds big enough for the villain of the arch?)

Under the disguise of an idea “to make the kingdom more open”, he lures all the leaders and the maximum number of non-humans to the festival. On it, Merlin understands (not without help of new mains) that this is the reincarnation of Escanor and he needs to be stopped. It turns out it is doubtful (now those who have watched the Hathers musical will understand where such ideas come from) he is locked with an explosive artifact in the ideal cube and Merlin tries to advise him against doing what he planned. He says something like, “Even if I stop now, nothing else awaits me. With such terrible sins behind my back, I will never find a place for myself. ”(Poetic, isn’t it?) And he is either talk out of it or somehow saved after he tries to prevent the explosion. The bottom line is that he turns out to be a redeemable villain like Hendrickson or Dreyfus.

Third theory: "Archangel"

It is based on the fact that we have already been promised that the archangels will be reborn at the expense of their blessings, which in fact adds Escanor to their ranks. Accordingly, the whole team will go into the story along with the supreme goddess and details about the rest of the remaining angels. (There won't be a long text because there is too much to think about)
I'll make some comments on the three theories.

Unless the Supreme Goddess intervenes, it should take millenia for the Graces to reform the archangels, we have seen that 3000 years wasn't enough for them to regain a proper physical body, so it's likely that Escanor, as human rather than a goddess, will simply be reborn and carry the Grace into his new life. The part about Mael finding him and guiding him to some extent is pretty much a guarantee regardless of Gawain's background.

If we go by the "original Gawain", his parents were royalty. Of course this is not necessarily the case in this story, but I believe that it's very likely that Nakaba will respect that trait of the character. This means the second theory is more likely in my eyes. I don't personally think Gawain will be presented as a redeemable villain but it's not impossible and if he's any capable with Sunshine he'd make for a good boss fight. Also, having him be the prince of Deathpierce's new kingdom would tie in nicely to the ending of the original manga.

Bonus!

I (after one fanfic a year ago and that phrase from chapter 333) have an assumption that Escanor was actually there 3000 years ago and lived in Bellaluin, but he was simply not noticed. And he, being not the most skillful sorcerer (and a child 12 years old), did not quite correctly use some kind of spell and cursed himself as DK cursed Elizabeth (we know for sure that this is possible, because this was done by Merlin) but he was planning something like a promise from the witcher and later died in the fall of the kingdom. So, life pushes him constantly to Merlin, who until the last time ignored him. And now something supposed to change in this chain.
Not likely but imaginative. It's similar to Elizabeth's or Hawkman and Hawkgirl's curses.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

And I forgot to say this: No doubt in my mind Gawain will feel attracted to Merlin and I hope he gets her.

Bang

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
I also have an epic theory.
Gawain's name can be translated as "Hawk of May" or smth (some ppl say it's not true. but do i care? i don't
And we all know a character named Hawk who would totally name his child after a greatest knight ever (himself)
Next sunshine user is totally gonna be a comic relief pig.

Samael Morningstar

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
India
I mean from those preview pics it seems either he'll be born with sunshine and abandoned by his parents or something then Mael picks him up and becomes his master just like how Rosa did with Escanor ( I seriously don't expect much from Nakaba being very creative in such things so he'll probably go this way)

Ann Firestar

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
The part about Mael finding him and guiding him to some extent is pretty much a guarantee regardless of Gawain's background.

If we go by the "original Gawain", his parents were royalty. Of course this is not necessarily the case in this story, but I believe that it's very likely that Nakaba will respect that trait of the character. This means the second theory is more likely in my eyes. I don't personally think Gawain will be presented as a redeemable villain but it's not impossible and if he's any capable with Sunshine he'd make for a good boss fight. Also, having him be the prince of Deathpierce's new kingdom would tie in nicely to the ending of the original manga.
I see to much “bad guy” potential in Escanor because of this:

1) Sunshine really very villain’ish power. So even considering Escanors awesome moral compass, he seems like a good choice for a villain, at least temporarily.

2) Escanor said he loves and accept (always and completely) Merlin, even with all that shit she had done and planned to do. So I’m not letting her go this easy from this situation. I think she needs to see same man, but with greater issues and sins. (Because our Escanor closer to being an angel than actual angels) And then herself, accept him and help him.

3) I always loved “fallen hero” trope, and it actually fits him well. That fact that he didn’t go all evil in the main story, it’s a miracle.

upd. I think I can connect all good parts of first two in to one theory.
So Escanor/Gawain is born in Deathpierce's new kingdom and is a crowned prince of the kingdom, but his powers are not awoken because he never felt any danger to his life, so it not manifested.
After all the same, and in fight with Merlin/TSDS offsprings, he feels this danger and in this point his powers awoke, and everyone understand who he is/was.
And after all this Mael finds him and so on, so on.

Last edited:

Mighty Escanor

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Nice theories. The second and the bonus theory are my favorite ones.
It's not certain if Escanor would be relevant in the sequel, a presumption shared among all the theories. But if the POSSIBLE Gawain guy is related to Escanor, or let's say he's Escanor incarnated, I want both of them to be parts of a bigger picture. An ancient individual who's stuck in a cycle of life and death, with different trigger, different dynamics, and, different purpose from that of Elizabeth. So your bonus theory is what I naturally like the most. But a comeback as another hero amongst the main crew is a bit repetitive. A prince from a country of humans who despises other clans? That's a better idea for his first arc.

Last edited:

Samael Morningstar

Reaction score
Country
India
Nice theories. The second and the bonus theory are my favorite ones.
It's not certain if Escanor would be relevant in the sequel, a presumption shared among all the theories. But it the POSSIBLE Gawain guy is related to Escanor, or let's say he's Escanor incarnated, I want both of them to be a part of a bigger picture. An ancient individual who's stuck in a cycle of life and death, with different trigger, different dynamics, and, different purpose from that of Elizabeth. So your bonus theory is what I naturally like the most. But a comeback as anotger hero amongst the main crew is a bit repetitive. A prince from a country of humans who despises other clans? That's a better idea for his first arc.
Don't worry nakaba isn't that type of author to go that way. Gawain would be just another random human whom mael finds and trains so that he can handle sunshine and not die, only new thing would be that he'll weild the sword Galatine, nothing else. BTW didn't we agree thag we won't be reading the sequel what happened to that???
. .................. There's an imposter among us

Mighty Escanor

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
It seems the two of us are bound to read it as soon as it gets released lol. Not just you and me, but all the SD fans, GC fans, Merlin fans, Arthur fans, Sunshine fans, Mael fans, and Escanor fans may find the sequel interesting because we are going to to get to know more about them in the sequel.
A side story about SD, Merlin's gaiden, and the history and fate of GC are without a doubt imbedded in the coming sequel.

Don't worry nakaba isn't that type of author to go that way. Gawain would be just another random human whom mael finds and trains so that he can handle sunshine and not die, only new thing would be that he'll weild the sword Galatine, nothing else. BTW didn't we agree thag we won't be reading the sequel what happened to that???
. .................. There's an imposter among us
And about your first point, that can be true, and I would not be displeased if another person becomes the next wielder of Sunshine. What needs to be done here is to explain how it chooses the host, and what happens between the new host and Mael.
Interaction between Mael and Escanor, just like every other aspect of Sunshine story was a hastily made mess of dialogues and actions. It occurred in the middle of that huge quality decline, and whatever caused it to happen, will not necessarily affect the sequel.
Something ruined NnT. NS' reluctance to tell us more about any clan other than humans and DC as well as his change of plans regarding the ending and sequel THREE dang times in less than two years are among the most possible reasons why NnT became like this imo.
Will the same thing happen to sequel?
I don't know, you neither. So I suggest you to forget about what happened at the second half of NnT, and read the sequel without prejudice.

Samael Morningstar

Reaction score
Country
India
It seems the two of us are bound to read it as soon as it gets released lol. Not just you and me, but all the SD fans, GC fans, Merlin fans, Arthur fans, Sunshine fans, Mael fans, and Escanor fans may find the sequel interesting because we are going to to get to know more about them in the sequel.
A side story about SD, Merlin's gaiden, and the history and fate of GC are without a doubt imbedded in the coming sequel.

And about your first point, that can be true, and I would not be displeased if another person becomes the next wielder of Sunshine. What needs to be done here is to explain how it chooses the host, and what happens between the new host and Mael.
Interaction between Mael and Escanor, just like every other aspect of Sunshine story was a hastily made mess of dialogues and actions. It occurred in the middle of that huge quality decline, and whatever caused it to happen, will not necessarily affect the sequel.
Something ruined NnT. NS' reluctance to tell us more about any clan other than humans and DC as well as his change of plans regarding the ending and sequel THREE dang times in less than two years are among the most possible reasons why NnT became like this imo.
I don't know, you neither. So I suggest you to forget about what happened at the second half of NnT, and read the sequel without prejudice.
Tbh I'm not all having any expectations of something good other than mid for nakaba and the way he treats his side characters is just worse so I'm not even taking any risk. You should better stay ready for being disappointed, well whatever it's true that nnt went mid to worse towards the end and it wasn't fun anymore but more than the manga, it was more fun with you guys, discussing and talking to y'all was only thing that kept me looking forward to every week. Funny that people discussing are more interesting than the manga, I really had fun with you guys(not the manga)

Lord Traffy Law

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Any idea about his original plan ?

Mighty Escanor

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Any idea about his original plan ?
I don't have any archive of related posts ready, but there were some interviews and tweets iirc about what is gonna happen in the future, and they changed drastically over the years.
Originally, Arthur was supposed to be the MC of the sequel series.
Then there was other info about the three major arcs of NnT and two subsequent posts mentioning a change of plans by the editors.
I'm sure too lazy to look for them, but I've read them all here in MH myself, most possibly in Nanatsu no Taizai Hangout thread. :hmm

Last edited:

Shadowlord123

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Pretty interesting ideas. Especially the second one. That's probably my favourite as well and is probably the most interesting IMO. It would add a lot of importance to the plotline of Deathpierce leaving the Kingdom to create another one of his own with only humans.

I'm also expecting Nakaba to go full in-depth in the sequel as to why the Grace choose Escanor and why could he control it so well. If the Nakaba that comes back is the one from the first 180 chapters (plus other ones before chapter 280), I think we might get an explanation. If the Nakaba from the last 80 chapters or so is the one that comes back, I'm not expecting anything that even remotely addresses this topic. Let's hope for the best. He already showed a lot of times in his previous work that he was a pretty competent writer IMO, so he can definitely create an interesting sequel if he really means it. That being said, I'm not setting my hopes up way too much. Hopefully, he surprises me.

Mighty Escanor

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Ancient Entity cursed and trapped in the wheel of life and reincarnation
All hope is almost lost, but I can't wait to see the animated version of my Avatar!
If the baby is real and not just my imagination, the theory of an ancient entity becomes stronger.

Dear @Ann Firestar , I'm curious to know if the newest revelation of a character from sequel has affected your theories about Gawain or Escanor.
There is no solid prove that MNYK will have four story lines and four main characters consequently, nor do we know if these four are the supposed Four Knights.
Btw, assuming the sequel contains four main characters as knights and all of them are revealed so far, who do you think will inherit the Sunshine, and on what kind of role will (s)he have in the sequel?

Ann Firestar

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Dear @Ann Firestar , I'm curious to know if the newest revelation of a character from sequel has affected your theories about Gawain or Escanor.
There is no solid prove that MNYK will have four story lines and four main characters consequently, nor do we know if these four are the supposed Four Knights.
Btw, assuming the sequel contains four main characters as knights and all of them are revealed so far, who do you think will inherit the Sunshine, and on what kind of role will (s)he have in the sequel?
Hello! Hope you’re having a good day! So about my thoughts on the subject.

1) At this point in time we still don’t know nothing about both of the new characters that Nakaba had showed us. (Except for the thing about similar “dogs” they have, but we’ll speak about it later) So it didn’t change this theories, but created a new one, but that for later.

2) If we’re talking in this world settings for the sequel, then I think out of four child characters (Lanselot, Tristan, presumably Gil and Margarets kid and the green haired one) I’d pick Gil’s kid. Idk why, I just got the filling he’s the most worthy and he most likely to not have any extra power of his own, that will make him to imbalanced. Gil himself had somewhat a connection to Escanor, like respect, so I think if his child will inherit this power, he’ll do his best to help him train to control it.

3) I’ll connect my assumption about name of the sequel an role of the sunshine in it.

First thing is, that I think that the four horsemen of the apocalypse may not be the main characters but a main unwilling villains.

The thing about “dogs” that two of characters have is that you can’t think of a horseman without his horse (that also has a meaning in the bible) I think Nakaba may have changed horses to “dogs” because they are more of a companion animal than horses.

Also in some interpretation of the bible four horsemen are seen as the angels of the four winds. (Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel, angels often associated with four cardinal directions) And Nakaba may change them for the story to the four archangels. And our are all dead.

So my theory about the sequel is: The four horsemen of the apocalypse is four kids (presumably of the characters we know) that for some reason inherent the graces and their “dogs-horses” is incarnations of previous wielders that meat to guide them to their purpose. Think about something in between Oslo and Cerberus from good omens.

We already were promised more of a goddess clan in sequel, so this turn of story will be only logical.

And about sunshine in specific, it may be the horsemen of death, because it’s the most powerful of all graces. (But it would be immeasurably funnier if it will be the horsemen of the famine)

Samael Morningstar

Reaction score
Country
India
All hope is almost lost, but I can't wait to see the animated version of my Avatar!
If the baby is real and not just my imagination, the theory of an ancient entity becomes stronger.

Your Avatar = :pwned = Red Demon

Mighty Escanor

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Your Avatar = :pwned = Red Demon
You know what I'm talking about, right?
I'm not talking about the Angel and his power level.
It's about those(?) who are(?) being protected. About the answer to this simple question:
How many characters do you see in the picture?
3 or 4?
Hopefully, the anime version will clear things out.

Hello! Hope you’re having a good day! So about my thoughts on the subject.

1) At this point in time we still don’t know nothing about both of the new characters that Nakaba had showed us. (Except for the thing about similar “dogs” they have, but we’ll speak about it later) So it didn’t change this theories, but created a new one, but that for later.

2) If we’re talking in this world settings for the sequel, then I think out of four child characters (Lanselot, Tristan, presumably Gil and Margarets kid and the green haired one) I’d pick Gil’s kid. Idk why, I just got the filling he’s the most worthy and he most likely to not have any extra power of his own, that will make him to imbalanced. Gil himself had somewhat a connection to Escanor, like respect, so I think if his child will inherit this power, he’ll do his best to help him train to control it.

3) I’ll connect my assumption about name of the sequel an role of the sunshine in it.

First thing is, that I think that the four horsemen of the apocalypse may not be the main characters but a main unwilling villains.

The thing about “dogs” that two of characters have is that you can’t think of a horseman without his horse (that also has a meaning in the bible) I think Nakaba may have changed horses to “dogs” because they are more of a companion animal than horses.

Also in some interpretation of the bible four horsemen are seen as the angels of the four winds. (Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel, angels often associated with four cardinal directions) And Nakaba may change them for the story to the four archangels. And our are all dead.

So my theory about the sequel is: The four horsemen of the apocalypse is four kids (presumably of the characters we know) that for some reason inherent the graces and their “dogs-horses” is incarnations of previous wielders that meat to guide them to their purpose. Think about something in between Oslo and Cerberus from good omens.

We already were promised more of a goddess clan in sequel, so this turn of story will be only logical.

And about sunshine in specific, it may be the horsemen of death, because it’s the most powerful of all graces. (But it would be immeasurably funnier if it will be the horsemen of the famine)
My bad, I missed your post the last time I checked the forum. I'm sorry.
Interesting ideas tbh.

1) That's exactly what I was curious to know. There is no new info that can refute your previous theories, but I was sure it has made you think of other possibilities as well.
I always look forward to your new theories. :super

2) What if the forth child is Howzer's?
Howzer is the new great holy knight and he once dreamt of becoming a holy knight like Escanor.

Ann Firestar

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
My bad, I missed your post the last time I checked the forum. I'm sorry.
Interesting ideas tbh.

1) That's exactly what I was curious to know. There is no new info that can refute your previous theories, but I was sure it has made you think of other possibilities as well.
I always look forward to your new theories. :super

2) What if the forth child is Howzer's?
Howzer is the new great holy knight and he once dreamt of becoming a holy knight like Escanor.
I don’t think the green one is Howzer’s kid, but only because I believe that all mains will have different childhoods.
Like all sins had different stories behind them that leaded them to this specific team, but they still all had different main goals. And that’s one of the best things in manga, and Nakaba knows that, so he may do something similar to new characters.

But it’s a cool point that I totally forgot! It may still fire, but in a different way.
In the end of a manga we saw Howzer practice swordsmanship with Jericho and Guila, and that may lead him to his role as a mentor Zaratras once were to some sins and all holy knights. And that speaks more to his character than a possible family.