Discussion - Time skip in Berserk? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Time skip in Berserk?

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
So I was thinking yesterday about the Eclipse and where the story is heading.And it got me wondering, could Miura use a time skip? Obviously not right now, but after Guts and co reach Elfhelm( in a 1000 years or so) which I can picture happening around the same time as Griffith's coronation.
I think after Guts meets the Hanafubuku king, and assuming that Elfhelm is currently the safest place in the world outside of Falconia, maybe Guts and co could stay there for a while, especially if it turns out they can heal Caska but it will take time. Also on Griffith's side it would be interesting to see him after he became king, and how his rule is seen, but without actually spending all that time fleshing it out, which could take very long. Rather we could see him become king, and then jump in time to see how it turned out.
I think it would be a good way to speed things up a bit, while giving us enough information about how things turned out. At the pace Berserk is released it would take years before reaching the point where Berserk enters its final arc.A year in the Berserk verse would be a reasonable amount of time. I think it could be interesting, but it all depends on what Miura has in store for us.Things in Elfhelm might not go so smoothly, and Guts and co could end up being forced to leave. And with Rickert possibly getting his own adventure on the side, the story might continue to be linear, except we could be getting Rickert's side of the story on top of Guts and Griffith's . I would rather he also went to Elfhelm, hopefully a certain skeleton knight could give him a tip .
So timeskip, yay or nay?

Bonefist

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
A ellipsis could be useful for improving the characters' skills for battle. At this moment, only Guts, Schierke and Serpico really fight, the others are sidekicks, comic relief or too weak to fight. With an ellipsis, Farnese could be a pretty good witch, and see Isidro more mature, with a training, could make him a more interesting character.
Having a Band of the Guts, a bunch of fighters, who can stand in front of Apostles, or at least some little monsters, has to be done, because at this point, they won't make it to Griffith's place.

From an other point of view, less centered on characters but more on the setting, if the world doesn't change again, an ellipsis would be useless. We already know that Griffith will extend his dominance.

And... With an ellipsis, some people will say "Berserk was better before". Just like some say it was better when it was the Golden Age arc.

Finally, time skip or not, some characters (will) have to be more helpful than being only present...

Last edited:

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
That too however I think that it would be interesting to see Farnese at least train in order to become a powerful witch, so I'm not sure a time skip would be so interesting in her case. Elfhelm must be a place brimming with magic, so we can expect most of Guts group to get a powerup there.
I think a time skip would be more useful in the case of the world of Berserk changing.It would allow Miura to tell certain events that would otherwise take so many years to tell in a linear manner. With Griffith finally getting his kingdom, and with the world being infested with all kinds of magical creatures going on a rampage, the stage is set for Griffith to conquer the world. Right now Falconia is prolly the safest place, and I can see Griffith expanding his kingdom much like Gaiseric, till it becomes pretty much an empire. With that in mind, it would be interesting to have a time skip because of that very fact.
Also there's the character development, it would be interesting to see these characters grow up(some of them are kids after all) and how their relationships evolve, in regard to Caska's return for example. I can see Farnese at least having a hard time dealing with a sane Caska, and maybe the same could apply to Guts. It could work in both cases.
Time skips are often used by authors, if done correctly it could be interesting. One thing that is bad about it is the extensive use of flashbacks, to explain certain events. However I believe if it's a short period of time in the manga, and Miura manages to explain much of the situation before skipping ahead in time, he won't have to use too many flashbacks.
Of course the main attraction of it is that it could allow Miura to get to the final portion of the manga without too much delay, because if he were to tell all those events in a very detailed manner it will take a considerable amount of time. Whereas if he uses a time skip he could pretty much get to it right after Guts and co reach their destination and make preparations for whatever lies next.