Question - tips on drawing | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question tips on drawing

Baker

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
im an otaku who wants to become a mangaka and well i suck at drawing bodies and i mean the whole body and face shots that arent straight foward (example: i cant draw people with their heads turned i can only draw faces that r straight foward looking at me) and with that being said im looking for all the advice i can get so if u r kind enough please help. i would apreciate it greatly.

DoctorApollo

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
The most important advice is to draw. Nothing is more important than spending a LOT of time drawing every day. The less time you spend, the longer you'll take to improve.

Regarding the inability to draw certain things, you should observe (and possibly copy?) pictures of these things you can't draw. Look through manga you like, and check how the artist for that draws this thing. Trying to copy could help, but the main thing you need to do is understand how the lines work. Look at it and compare what they do with what you do, and understand what you're doing wrong.

Wayne

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Tip On Drawing Body's is easy All you need is a Reference Book ie anatomy books on the Human body Thay make for good references

As for Faces Well you dont need to Reference a Face since Manga face references Don't follow Anatomy

Manga faces I could give advice on it Eggs Yes All manga Face`s Wise are Egg Shaped

FetherMan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Learn perspective drawing. If you master that alone, you'll be able to draw anything (car, buildings, human bodies, animals, insects, etc). Everything that has form is based on shape and shape(s) are understood better in memory by perspective.

For example, the human head changes shape based on the perspective (or angle) it's being viewed. Plus, you have to draw at least 2-4 hours a day, 3-4 times a week to really build up good memory on how your relating yourself and your drawing style to the forms of anything in general.

The more you do it, the easier it will be for you to just draw anything at a whim.