Theory - Titan Serum Abilities | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Titan Serum Abilities

vanihba2000

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I'd just like to compile a list of points about Titan Serums we already know and add a bit of speculations to them. There are a lot of factors which affect if your Titan shifting is going to be successful and that's probably why shifters are less in number.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Titan Serums are manufactured :
This is shown by the fact that they are wrapped in elaborate casings with some sort of print labels on them. Also, the huge number of wall titans were probably the result of many such serums. According to Hange, these serums are manufactured at a place with a technological sophistication beyond that of humans within the walls.
If that is so, then how did the Reiss family obtain the serums? Did they make it themselves or did they import it from outside, somehow? I'm inclined to believe that the 'coordinate' had the knowledge of how to manufacture these serums, and with that technological know-how they manufactured these serums specifically for the Reiss family to pass the coordinate down.

2) Titan Serums allow you to transform into a Titan : Of course! You can turn into a Titan just by getting a Titan serum injected into you. However, that Titan probably cannot be controlled by you and would be a mindless, human-eating one.

3) Titan Serums can give you special abilities :
Yep! So, what a serum does is gives you certain special abilities like 'combat', 'armor' (for hardening), or 'colossal'. So the special abilities which can be put into a serum are as follows :

(a) Combat : This, I think, is a serum which helps your Titan turn into a combat 17 m class, like Eren, Annie or Frieda. This was also the serum which Rod was gonna inject into Historia first (most probably).

(b) Hardening/Armor : The armor bottle which Eren swallowed, gave him his new ability.
What's interesting is that this bottle reads 'strongest armor braun'. Which leads me to believe that it could be a serum which uses spinal fluid from a certain family like the Braun family? This also makes me want to theorize that in the Warrior's hometown, Titan shifting abilities are passed down in families, pretty much like how the Reiss family passed down the 'coordinate' ability. I suppose this is the 'truth' which was given to Annie by her father, about her becoming a warrior for that family's name or something.

But keeping that aside, all Titan shifters (Annie, Beast Titan, Reiner) at some points must have ingested such a Serum which gave them their hardening ability. However, it's possible that only the Braun family bloodline has the ability to sustain it over their whole body and keep it for long. So in a sense, I'm starting to believe that these warriors 'share' abilities among themselves : while some abilities can only be fully utilized by a particular bloodline. This is evident from the fact that there are so many special bloodlines : the Ackermans (resistant to mind-wipes and are strong fighters), the Reiss (who can have the coordinate ability), and now the Brauns. :D

These two images should tell you that Rod brought two serums to the chapel cave, one with a combat ability and one with the armor ability. He was probably gonna use both of them on Historia.

(c) Colossal : Bertholdt got this serum, I suppose, but didn't get the armor serum. Also the Wall Titans are nothing but a combination of the armor serum + the colossal serum.

(d) Long Arms/Speed/Monkeyness : This is probably what Ymir's/Marcel's Titan can be categorized as. They have agility, sharp teeth and long arms to help them swing around. It's not sure if Marcel's titan had the hardening ability.

(e) Regular Titan : The current serum which Levi has is labelled as 'normal' titan.

(f) Other Abilities : For example, the Beast Titan's hairy appearance is something to ponder about. So is Grisha's Titans bearded appearance. (Although maybe you can gain more hair on your Titan with age, maybe? :P). So, I kind of want to theorize that the Beast Titan is actually at least a mix of 4 abilities : Combat, Armor, Monkeyness and probably a 'coordinate' kind of ability. This explains most of his attributes, including his long arms and hardening ability. (and no I'm NOT implying that the BT ate Ymir. He had that ability from before). Maybe the hair is a side-effect of having taken too many serums :P?
Also, it seems all Titans have some degree of the 'coordinate' ability to control Titans, like Annie who called many Titans to eat her. While Eren's coordinate is probably the strongest and can also modify memories.

4) Titan Serums do not give you the 'shifting' or the 'coordinate' ability :

(a) Unfortunately, a Titan serum cannot give you the ability to shift and control your Titan form. So basically, we do not know how the first shifters came about. With the emphasis on the bloodlines in this manga, I'm guessing that with repeated experiments, certain bloodlines seemed to have different effects with Titan serums and they finally found certain bloodlines which actually had control over their Titan forms and could return back to human form. So these were our first shifters. Then by accident, one such shifter was eaten by a mindless Titan, and that mindless Titan converted back to human. Thus, our scientists realized that Titan abilities can be passed down by eating the shifter.
(Wild guess : Maybe the Ackerman bloodline is in this category of shifters who don't need to eat another shifter to gain control and shift?)

And a serum can definitely not give you the 'coordinate' ability, which allows you to modify memories and control titans.

So there are some limitations in manufacturing these serums. These abilities can only be acquired by ingesting the spinal fluid of another shifter. This is the reason why they are less in number and we only have one 'coordinate'.

Also, I do not think the wall titans are shifters, but they were just given a 'colossal' and 'armor' serum mix. I really cannot imagine there being so many shifters! If shifters can be mass-produced, then why are they so low in number in the current time, and why the emphasis on eating another shifter to gain the ability etc.?

5) The kind of Titan you become depends on your bloodline and physical attributes :
I mentioned about bloodlines above. So there are only certain bloodlines which can fully utilize a certain ability and titan serums might have different effects on certain 'special' bloodlines. For example, the Reiss and coordinate, Brauns and the full armor etc. This makes me wonder what would happen if an Ackerman injected a particular serum into themselves?
Among physical attributes, your age and your fitness level matter. This is evidenced by young Eren's titan form and his new Titan form after 5 years, during which time he underwent training and of-course grew old. Also, the older ones : Grisha, Beast Titan seem to have beards in their Titan forms.

Last edited:

Haze

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
The theory is plausible and well put in. There's not much to change, but I'm going to mention you may also want to include the heat armor as an ability up there. So far we've only seen this on Bert and Rod's titan so this may or may not be linked to a certain bloodline and probably comes from the serum itself. That said, I don't think the heat armor would be nearly as useful on any titan that isn't colossal size so perhaps that's one reason why we haven't seen any non-collosal titan put this ability to use as of yet.

As for the beard, the titan that ate Eren had it too, so maybe Titans sprout a beard if the human inside it/ human who was turned into it had one too.

Last edited: