Shounen - To You, The Immortal by OOIMA Yoshitoki | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen To You, The Immortal by OOIMA Yoshitoki

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
:arf:handgun @syx comment please.....

:blush Joke. Would never be mean. But what do you think of this story?
@Brandish

(when you want to stay under the radar and Jarred literally makes a big announcement that I caught up with TYTI, smh)

It's a great series, a solid 9/10 for me so far. Well, a series which makes you almost tear up a couple of times can't be anything less than a 9. :nod

I made some small posts in Jarred's thread during my read:
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/4852299/
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/4857285/
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/4880233/
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/4881812/
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/4882903/

I like the premise of the story, it's interesting to see Fushi - an immortal being - growing up and doing his thing. Even the most normal things Fushi does, have a complete different effect on me as a reader, because of the simple fact that Fushi is not a human being. That gives every action Fushi takes, every word Fushi says, every expression Fushi shows more impact, and meaning. Other characters such as March or Parona instantly grew on me. :nomoar

I also welcome the timeskips, because it absolutely fits Fushi's being. I'm really curious how far the author will take these timeskips. However, it's hard to accept that the friends he made will be gone this way. : /

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I think of To You, The Immortal as a fantasy story that takes on a sci-fi approach. Y'know the ones where a cyborg or alien is in the place of a human, and with that change to the usual parameters we can analyse something about people/relationships/etc. Here, Fushi is gathering data so to speak, and we see him evolve.. and wonder why that's important in his role.

It's a fairly unique manga too, I liken it to Memories of Emanon. And maybe Mushishi? (I haven't finished that manga tho). Obviously the art and emotional power from Koe no Katachi is still here.

I'm in the process of re-reading since I forgot some stuff (a knocker hit me or something... okay that was lame af). So I'll expand a bit more... and reply to syx here ; )

Vandred

Plan Deviser
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
It's been a while since the last comment, so a good bit of important stuff has happened.

Waterbomber Fushi saves the day - can't say I didn't expect Bon to be rescued, but I wanted him to get killed :nomoar

Oh well, there's always old age I guess. Cutesy romance between him and Todo/Iris sure is cutesy, some pretty hilarious panels, and then...

Knockers have feelings too. Which is... not that weird for "souls", but weird enough to think about how they're able to appear as knockers. What, or who, allows them to? Whose souls are they?

At any rate, it seems their goal is to... kill every human being? :sweatdrop And they detest Fushi for being able to prevent souls from passing on to the wonderful beyond (which he's managed to dodged realizing once again) and the Black Hood for being the one who "locked away" souls into bodies. Is it just because he has made Fushi, or does this mean he is the one who created everything? More on this in a moment :p

Some pretty cool fights, but the most relevant new element seems to be the mysterious church guard. Too much focus on him and the fact that he didn't notice or didn't care about the injury on his leg... That's suspicious :notsure

Chapter 81, though...

Being almost certain that the majority of those who will read this comment know what I'm talking about, we got the Renji Yomo moment - a reveal about a character being a certain other character that everyone who had paid attention had already figured out :XD

Pyoran is still too funny even as a horse though :lmao The chemistry between her and Fushi is one of the best in the series.

What's a lot more interesting, however, is once again related to the Black Hood (second best character by the way): he created the horse's body "from Fushi's flesh" and gave it - or was she created by the act of giving it? - Pyoran's soul. So are the Black Hood's spheres receptacles for souls which he can shape into living beings, similarly to what Fushi can do?

Was the mysterious church guard also created like that, so he can regenerate his flesh too? :notsure

Then, when Fushi asks how he's able to detect the knockers' presence, he explains that Fushi can do it too: he just needs to train his senses, "expand his field of awareness", and then he'll be able to perceive any object that comes into contact with something created from his own body.

:lambirb

...So is the reason why the Black Hood can detect the knockers' presence anywhere in the world... that he has created everything in the world? :lambirb

Whatever the answer, Fushi keeps getting better and more badass, and the manga hasn't stopped providing great chapters. All is well. :hee

Lambu

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
It's been a while since the last comment, so a good bit of important stuff has happened.

Waterbomber Fushi saves the day - can't say I didn't expect Bon to be rescued, but I wanted him to get killed :nomoar

Oh well, there's always old age I guess. Cutesy romance between him and Todo/Iris sure is cutesy, some pretty hilarious panels, and then...

Knockers have feelings too. Which is... not that weird for "souls", but weird enough to think about how they're able to appear as knockers. What, or who, allows them to? Whose souls are they?

At any rate, it seems their goal is to... kill every human being? :sweatdrop And they detest Fushi for being able to prevent souls from passing on to the wonderful beyond (which he's managed to dodged realizing once again) and the Black Hood for being the one who "locked away" souls into bodies. Is it just because he has made Fushi, or does this mean he is the one who created everything? More on this in a moment :p

Some pretty cool fights, but the most relevant new element seems to be the mysterious church guard. Too much focus on him and the fact that he didn't notice or didn't care about the injury on his leg... That's suspicious :notsure

Chapter 81, though...

Being almost certain that the majority of those who will read this comment know what I'm talking about, we got the Renji Yomo moment - a reveal about a character being a certain other character that everyone who had paid attention had already figured out :XD

Pyoran is still too funny even as a horse though :lmao The chemistry between her and Fushi is one of the best in the series.

What's a lot more interesting, however, is once again related to the Black Hood (second best character by the way): he created the horse's body "from Fushi's flesh" and gave it - or was she created by the act of giving it? - Pyoran's soul. So are the Black Hood's spheres receptacles for souls which he can shape into living beings, similarly to what Fushi can do?

Was the mysterious church guard also created like that, so he can regenerate his flesh too? :notsure

Then, when Fushi asks how he's able to detect the knockers' presence, he explains that Fushi can do it too: he just needs to train his senses, "expand his field of awareness", and then he'll be able to perceive any object that comes into contact with something created from his own body.

:lambirb

...So is the reason why the Black Hood can detect the knockers' presence anywhere in the world... that he has created everything in the world? :lambirb

Whatever the answer, Fushi keeps getting better and more badass, and the manga hasn't stopped providing great chapters. All is well. :hee

There goes good ol' sadist Van, wanting Bon to die :lambirb

In all honesty, him living a little longer was better storywise since, with his death, Fushi would meet all his friends again and stop his growth as a human and the perception of the world around him, his powers... still sad that he doesnt get to know they are all there with him. :emocat

Horsey Pyoran was freaking hilarious, I was so happy to see her back to spank Fushi for his hot blooded decisions, which reminds me I absolutely love how the author remembered the mental stage in which Fushi is right now: teenage phase :lmao

The knockers working as a hive of the sorts makes them quite a difficult enemy to fight on the offensive. So far Fushi's only escaping and waiting for them so he takes them down, but now that they are making a full frontal attack with revealed motivation that wont work.
Fushi has to learn to fight them effectively, the attack on the capital was a warning of the sorts to show him how powerless he truly is against a coordinated assault.

So now he's training what Black Hood told him in the boat.
The scene with the little girl Eko was quite touching... so she can comunicate with her brother's faie through that pot, that makes Fushi realize thats not about possesing in the strict sense of the word but about feeling everything as it was your very own.

That jungle he ended up creating is something else tho :XD