Voting Round 2 - Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! vs. Black Clover | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 2 Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! vs. Black Clover

Who wins?

• Tomo-chan wa Onna no Ko!

• Black Clover

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MArGi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France

Tomo-chan wa Onna no Ko!
Yanagada Fumita

-

Black Clover
Tabata Yuuki

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Of course, Tomo ftw! :blush

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Zasz you SHOULD PUT UP MORE THAN THAT!!!!!!!!!

Tomo-chan has 3 great ladies YOU COULD EASILY GOOGLE SOME PICS!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if this LOOKS LIKE I'M YELLING AT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just watched ep 1 OF BLACK CLOVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanessa looks fine for sure. However Carol-chan is the best rom-com female going atm. It's that simple.

So cute!!

And playful!!

Trolls with said cuteness in tact

Triggers others

Accepts confessions like this

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Tomo-chan eh, seems pretty popular :hmmbut once again, another series im not very familiar with, so i cant judge it or compare it with Black Clover.

Well i will say this if you want a romance, school-life comedy then you should vote for Tomo-chan, thats basically all i know about that series.
But if your into adventure and fantasy shonen you should pick up and vote Black Clover.

Yep the anime did quite the backlash on BC. I was afraid of that cuz i knew Asta was pretty loud in the manga chapter 1. Luckily he tones it down after chapter 1, but seeing, and most importantly hearing the horrendous work of the VA for the main, its quite possible he will butcher Asta to the end. Lmao, seriously he sounded like a revving engine in the anime, it was pretty bad. Luckily its quiet when you read the manga :smile-big your ears wont bleed while reading. This is manga wars afterall, right.

Black Clover is a shonen manga series written and illustrated by Yuki Tabata (the creator of Hungry Joker). If I would describe this manga in a sentence I would say; Black clover is a combination of Naruto 1st part glory days (not Shippuden), a tiny bit of Boku no Hero and everything that was good about Fairy tail, set in a fantasy medieval world full of magic and adventure.

Once your hooked, the manga is extremely easy and fun to read, and believe me it won't take long to get into it if you like that kind of series. Anyone who likes magic, adventure, comedy, epicness and great battles (with no asspulls or bs whatsoever) will very quickly get on board. But of course, everyone has their own preferences, and maybe some people will not find it that appealing, which is fair enough. To each his own i always say.

I am very fond of this manga. Its probably the first ever manga i followed since its chapter 1 release. Basically when Naruto and Hungry Joker ended, Black Clover started and I was imediately on bord. It really grew on me and now its probably one of my fav shonen series. If your a fan of magic and adventure you should definitely pick it up :super plus you can also vote :smile-big

The main cast

The main character which is the series centered around is Asta. He is a young boy who lives in an orphanage and aspires to become a magic knight and eventually become the Magic Emperor who guards the Clover Kingdom from any danger. Also by becoming the Magic Emperor he wants to get rid of discrimination against the common low folk.
But the only problem is, in this world where magic power is everything, he doesn't posses any magic, non whatsoever. Sounds familiar right. Many people compare him to Naruto (or even Midoriya) and are angry about it, which is understandable, but after a few chapters you will see the difference between the protagonists.
But now comes the interesting question; if Asta cannot use magic, how does he fight, or how does he even plan to become a magic knight. The answer lies in the finishing pages of chapter 1, where he acquires an absurd and awesome power that is the very counter to magic itself.

The deuteragonist of this series is Asta's childhood friend and rival, Yuno. He lives in the same orphanage, and like Asta he aspires to become the Magic Emperor. But, unlike Asta, Yuno is a genius and a prodigy in magic. Does this also sound familiar. Of course it does. The generic prodigy rival of the loser that is the main character. But unlike some shonen character of the same rival type, Yuno greatly respects Asta and considers him his best friend, brother and greatest rival.

The lead female of Black Clover is Noelle. She is a royal from House Silva and the youngest daugter of the famous Steel War Princess Acier Silva. Like every royal, she has a tremendously high magic power. She was supposed to join her brothers and sister in the magic knight order Silver Eagle, but because of her incapability of controling her vast magic power she was shunned by her family and refused by the SIlver Eagle. Thus in the end she joined the notorious Black Bulls where she began her new goal of training her magic control and kicking her siblings asses.

The other characters

OK, now after comparing it to Naruto, comes the comparison to Fairy Tail. In the manga the characters are selected into certain magic knight orders each lead by a captain who is directly under the command of the Magic Emperor. Those magic orders can be considered as guilds cuz every order has their main HQ where they live.

After the hilarious and very funny knight selection exam, Asta manages to become a member of the magic knight order Black Bulls who are notorious for being the most vial and most crazy of all orders. On the other hand Yuno was selected into Golden Dawn, the strongest and most famous magic squad in Clover Kingdom.

And so after the selection, we get to know the other characters. I must say, I like every character that we got introduced to so far. Every character is very likable. There are all sorts of shonen types in those squads and all are done right. The most unique character for me, and my fav character in the series is the captain of the Black Bulls, Yami. This man is freaking epic and badass and at the same time he is extremely funny and hilarious. He is probably the most badass and most funniest character in the series.

The world

The story is set in a fantasy medieval world. The main cast serve as magic knights of the Clover Kingdom. But there are also other kingdoms, like the military aggressive Diamond Kingdom, Spade Kingdom and so on …

As i mentioned, magic is everything in this world, so possessing more magical power gives you a higher status and more rights, while anyone with low magic power has lower status and is considered a slum rat. This also adds another interesting plot point of discrimination which is mentioned many times through the series and will surely be handled in the future.

In this world the main tool to become a magic knight is a magic tome or grimoire. Every year there is a ceremony in which certain grimoire select their user, kinda like the wands from Harry Potter. After the grimoire select you, you can become a magic knight and grow stronger as a mage. Every grimoire has one type of magic, and every time you learn a spell and progress in magic the grimoire grows. In the Clover Kingdom, on almost every Grimoire, a three-leaf clover symbol is inscribed, but there also exist the four-leaf clover grimore of legends which was possessed by the first magic emperor. The one who posses the four-leaf clover grimoire is destined with great power and luck, and to become the next magic emperor.

The fights

The nonstop action and fights are probably the thing Black Clover is most known for. The manga has really great fights, and every fight is really well choreographed. Team fights are more frequent in the series, but they are really awesome. There is no bs or major asspulls in the fights, and most importantly no silly one-shots against the main villains.

Fanservice

Luckily fanservice isnt a major thing in BC. There are very few moments with fanservice and its not shoved into your reading from out of nowhere. Its placed rather well, like your taking a brake after a hard fought fight. If I recall there are only 2 chapters, out of 128 chapters, and a few manga covers that are fanservice oriented. Also there is a female character with a running gag of being fanservice, but its not distracting or bad fanservice, its rather hilarious, and that female character is one of the best female characters in the series. Me, im not that into fanservice. Lets just say i dont dislike it, but too much of it can be distracting to the story, at least for me. I know there are some who really like fanservice, so i made this to show you what your deling with in BC.

I guess i should put a pic for the thirsty ones. Open it on your own riks.

Comedy

The comedy in BC is awesome. It had some moments i was laughing my ass of every time i read it, and it still delivers.
Just to show, this is what happend last time:

In the middle of fightning in the tournament, a dude was transported by a spacial mage directly into the bathroom where the Captain of the Black Bulls was taking a dump. Since its the insane and crazy captain of the Black Bulls, you can guess what happend afterwards to that poor dude.
There are of course many more of this, but thats it for this section.

Overall

Great shonen series, with very likable characters, awesome fights, great comedy, emotional and epic moments, but of course with some cliche and generic shonen plot points, character motivations and goals. There are flaws in the series, i won't denie them, but if you love this type of manga you will overlook them very quickly.

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Asta's voice was bad lol. I'll keep watching the anime. It might not do the manga justice, but I wasn't put off by it.

Idk if Tomo has much popularity on this forum. Elsewhere it could do. On a few reader sites I see it's trending quite a bit. This is probably due to that chapter rate - 1 per day. Just one page, four panels (4-koma). For a cliche rom-com it's great to have the 1 page/ch rate as it keeps it fresh. Plus it's funny n easy to keep up with.

Temperance

The Red Spear
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
France
Voting for Tomo, because I don't even know :pjsalt

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Zasz you SHOULD PUT UP MORE THAN THAT!!!!!!!!!

Tomo-chan has 3 great ladies YOU COULD EASILY GOOGLE SOME PICS!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if this LOOKS LIKE I'M YELLING AT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just watched ep 1 OF BLACK CLOVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanessa looks fine for sure. However Carol-chan is the best rom-com female going atm. It's that simple.

So cute!!

And playful!!

Trolls with said cuteness in tact

Triggers others

Accepts confessions like this

YOU'RE RIGHT!!
BUT TODAY I HAD TO STUDY AND DIDN'T HAVE MUCH TIME TO POST A WALLTEXT OF PRAISE FOR TOMO!!!

Okay, enough caps lock now. :kappa
Carol is indeed cute and adorable, but Misuzu is DAH girl. :hurr
Anyway remember Brandish, my friend, salt is good during this event...

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Tomo easily. I'm a sucker for a good romance series.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Black Clover for me again.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Voting for Black Clover. From what I've read so far it gives me some Naruto vibes, and I'm really enjoying it. Definitely deserves to advance here.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Then why not FYGK last round? It was full of romance. :notrust
The first chapter didn't pull me in and I couldn't find the other associated series I assumed were needed for context.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The first chapter didn't pull me in and I couldn't find the other associated series I assumed were needed for context.
How can you judge a series based on one chapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.