Shounen - Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! by Yanagida Fumita | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! by Yanagida Fumita

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Premise (taken from Mangafox)
Tomo Aizawa was able to successfully confess to her crush Junichirou Kubota. There is only one problem:
He just sees her as his buddy. He even thought that she was a boy until they went to middle school together, because her grade school was in a different school district. So, Tomo-chan's struggle for Jun's affection begins.

Genre: Shounen, romance, high-school life, comedy

The manga is published online once per day (usually) on a one-page-per-day basis. Each page is 4 panels.

Overall I think this manga is very funny. The cliches are as obvious as in the premise, but the characters and moments are still very entertaining. There are essentially 4 main casts with the couple (Jun/Tomo) plus Tomo's longtime friend Misuzu (my favourite) and a newfound friend Carol. It's very light reading, nothing serious, and it's a nice filler manga due the daily update rate.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Caught up with this recently. I feel the same about this series :nod.

Hard for me to choose a favorite among the mains though. I guess I like Tomo a bit more than the others but all of them are great and have their moments. I didn't think I would end up liking Carol this much when she appeared. Didn't care much about Jun at first too but Tomo and Misuzu have always been great.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Yea it's definitely hard with the main 4, it's good how none of them are bad. Carol was definitely a surprise, when I saw her I thought "meh, a pretty ditz who will compete for Jun". But turns out she's pretty much Misuzu, just different way of going about it.

I didn't think I'd like the 1 page a day deal, but it's rather amazing how sometimes 4 panels can do so much.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Today's chapter was great. The roles have been reversed. Tomo doesn't care about her swimsuit due to the excitement and the trademark laugh she had as a kid returned :XD.

Misuzu's smirk was the icing on the cake :lmao.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Yep Tomo was just her normal self :)

Jun's composure was already a weak point but it's being thrown into the proverbial deep end now...

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
It's back and with Tanabe. I have the impression this arc is more about Misuzu than anyone. Pretty much everything has been seen from her POV so far.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Just caught the last 2 chapters after the break, they were standard (funny). Agree it's focused on Misuzu. Either for comedic purposes (her body compared to Tomo/Carol, plus to laugh at Jun/Tomo); or it might explore the 'thing' Misuzu has for Tomo. Pretty good arc so far.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Just when I make that remark we get a Tomo x Jun chapter. And I can't say I am displeased :nod.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Yep you killed that trend :)

This chapter was always gonna happen sooner or later, Jun scaring away the other dogs.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I loved the part where Tomo asks that guy what is cute about her :)

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Things won't end well for this guy... How did he conclude that she was easy like that? Tomo doesn't need Jun to deal with him but he'll probably be involved. With this he'll have a reason to beat the shit out of him.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I did laugh that Tomo didn't want to go all out on a small fry :)

It's funny how Tomo is reveling in attention from that guy, and when Jun interrupted.

We'll probably get girls coming up to Jun too I'd say.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Jun could get Tomo so easily it makes me facepalm. Yes he said the other guy not to touch her but it's not like he was jealous or anything, the guy was indeed dangerous. And yet it's enough to make her so happy.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
The "PROBLEM" panel :)

Wonder if Tomo will ask Jun if it would be a problem if they were going out... or just takes it and runs to Misuzu/Carol.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Probably not because of the shock. She'll most likely talk about that to Misuzu/Carol and I guess Jun will be colder for a while.
Jun... :epicfacepalm

Funny nonetheless :lmao.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
The highlight of today's page was Carol's cute face :hearts. I don't know if it's because of her pigtails or something else but her expressions have been cuter than usual in this arc :nod.

Not sure Tomo will do well this time but since the goal is to break Jun it doesn't matter I guess. I can see her headlocking him already.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Haha yea Carol under the headlock was cute.

I see Tomo trying to get close, Jun trying to get away, Tomo getting angry and then they fight :) I just hope things don't get romantic so it can stay funny (the mooshy stuff can happen later).

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Tomo is doing well so far, very well :XD.
Whoa, Tomo...:kreygasm And the best is that she is not doing it on purpose. By far the lewdest page of this 4koma.

She is doing unexpectedly well. I really want to see Jun break in this arc now, even if it's only be for a moment.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
That meteor killed me. Great last 2 chapters. Jun's finished :)
And Tomo is being drawn in a really cute/alluring way in these last chapters? Or is it just me?

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Tomo! :wub

Jun, please do something! :wtf If you don't this arc will be very disappointing.

And Tomo is being drawn in a really cute/alluring way in these last chapters? Or is it just me?
Disregarding the fact that the art evolved compare to the beginning. I don't think she is drawn cuter. You probably have that impression because of her expressions. If you compare her looks to to previous pages where she was around Jun like in the arc where she slept at his house or the one where she was "cross-dressing" you'll see that there is no difference.

Last edited:

masgrande

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
All signs are finally pointing towards progress, don't screw this up Jun!

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Jun sure looks composed :kappa I hope Misuzu is keeping an eye on this :)

Disregarding the fact that the art evolved compare to the beginning. I don't think she is drawn cuter. You probably have that impression because of her expressions. If you compare her looks to to previous pages where she was around Jun like in the arc where she slept at his house or the one where she was "cross-dressing" you'll see that there is no difference.
I think that's probably it tbh. And her general dress being more feminine.
Probably the expressions like the one on the second panel make me think she was drawn cuter...

:datass
--- Double Post Merged, ---
We didn't get the progress :( Misuzu :) nearly as good as when Jun saw the swim suit.