Top 3 most and least favorite characters and reasons for liking or disliking | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Top 3 most and least favorite characters and reasons for liking or disliking

alium leo

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Top 3 most favorite:
  1. Levi - an extremely well written character. Regrettably most of the people see him as just another badass character, some even complain him being impassible, emotionless while he is so much more than that. He is such a character who really cares about others, but can't express it. This is the reason some people misunderstand him. Besides, he is not perfect, he failed to kill Reiner. And just like any other human, sometimes, he also let his emotion play a vital role in making his decisions, like he did by giving the serum to Armin. Freeing Erwin was one of the main reasons behind that. Despite the fact that Erwin was the most important person in his life, he made that sacrifice for the sake of Erwin.
  2. Erwin - another extremely well written character, one of the most complex characters I have ever read. Had his own dream, sacrificed a lot to achieve that and at the end of the day, sacrificed his own dream for humanity. His inner conflicts made him feel guilty for sacrificing so many lives for his dreams. And his guilt resulted in sacrificing his own dream. He was at the same time selfish for his dream and selfless for humanity, lost his hand while trying to save Eren as he is the future of humanity.
  3. Hange - interesting and intelligent. First ever to understand without researching and experimenting on the titans its impossible for them to gain victory over them. Sometimes, childish, yet, extremely serious and effective when needed.
Besides, Jean, Armin and new Eren is really impressive. For me, Jean & Armin have the most awesome character development.
Top 3 least favorite:
  1. Mikasa: plain boring character, hardly has any character development. To be honest, I've heard so many good things about her before watching the anime that my expectation was really really high. I liked her in first few episodes, however, very soon she ended up being just " Ereh Ereh Ereh....". I was almost on verge of dropping the anime just hearing her " Ereh Ereh Ereh.....", that just show how much disappointed and irritated I was. May be my extremely higher expectation played a role here. However, in recent chapters in manga, I can see some developments and I appreciate that.
  2. Nile Dok: Stupid, brainless and most of all, coward and spineless.
  3. Zeke: actually a very well written mysterious character, has a great impact in the story. There's literally nothing wrong with this character. I just don't like and believe him because of his sheer brutality. Besides, very manipulative.

Potatoe-Titan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Top 3 most favorite:

1. Mikasa - Can't deny that she has less development in comparison to other characters and I understand that a lot of people think she is boring. But in my opinion she has bit more development than people say, it's just not that obvious development like other Characters (good example would be Armin). What I like about her is that she moves on despite all the suffering in her life and while she is an "badass soldier", she has a lot of flaws or weaknesses and still cares for other people. Pretty sure she will get more interesting development in future chapters with the dirction the story goes at the moment.

2. Reiner - One of the best characters in my opinion, his development from the big brother for his comrades to the warrior with split personality and now to an broken man was just amazing. Can't wait to see how his story (and suffering) will go on.

3. Erwin / Eren - Erwin because of everything alium leo wrote. Eren just because his recent development, while he is still the same in core, he matured a lot and got rid of some dislikeable behaviours.

Some other characters I like a lot are Zeke, Jean and Armin, all great in their own way.

Top 3 least favorite:

1. Rod Reiss - Manipulative & spineless. For real, this guy is terrible.

2. Porko - Arrogant, cocky and unreasonable. Maybe it will change a bit after the latest events, but for now I just don't like his attitude.

3. Krista - Her development was great and all but I just dislike her, I don't even know why exactly.

alium leo

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
1. Rod Reiss - Manipulative & spineless. For real, this guy is terrible.
yup, this is another character I really didn't like. I just forgot to add him in the list.

Nonis

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Most
1. Krista/Historia (great development, unique, was an isolated child now a queen, "humanity can go to hell")
2. Eren (the recent events)
3. Zeke (mysterious and can be funny sometimes)

Least
1. Ymir (didn't enjoy her as an individual character)
2. Mikasa (in my opinion she's a boring character)
3. Armin (don't know why)

lindananahayashida

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Most

*)
Sasha
Reasons:
Keith convo = Hilarious
Titan (Arrows) => Baddass!
Food syndromes!

*)
Ymir
Reasons:
Story = Saddest (IMO)
Bert & Reiner => Sacrificing
Christa x Ymir! => Sugar!

*)
Reiner
Reasons:
Victim = Gone nuts!
Loses = Still fights
Saved connie = Cool!

Least

*)
Levi
Reasons:
C*cky
Choose = Armin

*)
Porco
Reasons:
Bullies = Reiner
Ate = Ymir

*)
Kitts
Reasons:
Bombard Protag = Stupid
Threatens = Coward

lindananahayashida

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
He didn't choose Erwin for Erwin's sake though. He just let Erwin be free from his burden, the burden of his dream.
I know, but!

Erwin = One of my fav!
Dead => Levi

Lusty Lemon

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
*Bump*
Before I write I would just like to remember that this is a top favourite and least favourite character so this is solely my opinion, they might not be necessarily the best/worst written characters.

Most favourite:

Reiner
The man, the soldier, the warrior, the child, the shield and spear that doesn't break while being broken on the inside.
Reiner has an exceptional character development and is one of the easiest characters to relate to imo.
Reiner is the only character besides Eren that develops and shift with every major plot point, being his "shadow". A few examples:
When he reveals he is the Armored Titan you view of him shifts, you understand how confused he is;​
When you see the story of the 4 warriors you finally understand how hard it was for him;​
When we go to Marley you actually find how broken he is and how PSS has made him suicidal, no longer do we have the brave leader-like Braum;​
When invading Paradis he disregards the others opinions, taunting, his own risk or the destiny of the Eldians. He doesn't know what is right, he only knows the rumble isn't. He is becoming the reliable, leader-like version of himself that he pretended to be before while still having PSS and wanting to die and rest.​

Erwin
Well written and well developed character. Looked perfect and superior when we first met him but was flawed to the core and being aware of those flaws he made the most out of everything he was given. Ended up as a character that was human in everyway. His ideals, motivation, decisions, etc, all make sense to the character's (more than development) discovery.

Zeke
Very well written his story and personality were not disclosed immediately but were instead hinted at and then slowly revealed from different POVs. What first looked like a plain villain that had been indocrinated turned into someone that resisted 2 different indocrination to emerge a much deeper character with a flawed plan but a possibly unwaivering resolve (although it looks like he might be starting to doubt his own "destiny" or how much of it was really his idea).

Honorable mention to Sasha for the cheer "lovability"<3 of the character and to Eren/Gabi for being one and the same person with different views imposed on them and on different sides of the war and still managing to be the exact opposite in terms of popularity.

Least favourite:

Gross
I suspect Isayama-dono probably intended to have Gross represent everything hateful about racism in this world and the worst kind of racism. Not just the kind where you hate because you hate (the incult side of racism). He represent the educated side of racism, he knew that people were the same but was able to find arguments to justify it, in a cult yet twisted manner, still willing to use this in his favor and calmly educate you about how he was right.
That is truly terrifying and so close to what we see nowadays around the world.
In this story Isayama-dono actually might even have used the titans as a personification of "scientific racism"(check it out) and how scary it can be/what it can drive people too.
For representing all of this and for killing the sweet, sweet Faye, Gross takes the top spot.

Porco
Where to start? This character seems to have been created to absorb and personify the hate we should have towards Marley so that Pieck and the others could contrast and become more likable.
Sometimes hating a character is a good thing and you love to hate them (Sometimes they even become one of your favourites).
This is not the case as Porco looks one dimensional and is build with his most obvious personality traits appearing to be how conceited, hateful (of Reiner), cocky and violent he is.
Even his death did not made e feel any simpathy towards him.

Floch
Floch is, in my opinion, the representation of what Jean would be like if he had no character development and continued with his old ideology.
I recently reread the first chapters and seing Jean and Eren, on graduation day, fighting about the cowardice of being in the military police almost seemed like watching the Floch ideology against Jean(current) ideology.
There is an interesting parallelism about it and that is basically the only thing I don't dislike in Floch.
I think he is a well created character created to show how cowards exist in every army and the influence they may have over destiny is bigger than we'd like to admit but I can't, for the life of me, like him.
And I have this feeling that he will end up heping make the end bitter sweet.

Hope this can make you think about some charaters in a different way and please I'd like to see more opinions, preferable with arguments.
Let's not love to hate, let's love to reasonably hate some characters xD

Big hug to everyone.

Lemon out!

RisaArias

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
My favourites are Reiner because of his personality and backstory. Ymir, as she is sefless in a weird way and helped Reiner.

I love Zeke because of his ambitions and what he has gone through. I really dont like Eren because of his hypocrisy but he is hot.

Levi is just that OP character shounen has. Dont really like him much. I hated Armin as he went overboard with Bertholdt event.