Top 5 reasons why Class 1B is superior to Class 1A | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Top 5 reasons why Class 1B is superior to Class 1A

Invel > Zeref

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Before I get started on explaining why class B is superior to A there are two things I want to clarify:
  1. Because of Shinsou’s presence in the first match, Class A does not truly have a conclusive victory over class B overall in the latest arc. Both classes have one win, one loss, and one tie. I think it’s fair not to count the matches with Shinsou in them because Shinsou belongs to neither class at the moment

2. I also think its fair not to include Deku in this assessment since he’d obviously tip the scale in favor of class A considering that he’s the protagonist and was given the most powerful quirk. My main point is that given the current state of both classes if Deku was placed in class B instead, then he would be surrounded by better classmates overall than the ones he currently has in class 1A
Reasons Class 1B is better:
  1. More Balanced:
Despite how top-heavy class 1A is, I would argue that class B has a higher average strength level than A. Although it can be argued that Todoroki, Bakugou, and even Tokoyami and Iida can beat every single class 1B student in a 1 vs 1, It can also be argued that not a single class 1B student would lose to the likes of Satou, Koda, Ojiro, Tooru or Aoyama in a 1 v 1. Although the top students of 1A are stronger than the top of 1B, I would say that when you examine the classes without the high tiers included (Bakugou, Todoroki, Iida, and Tokoyami for A and Juzo, Ibara, Shemage(with hax) and Shishida for B), Class B looks superior for they still contain:
Monoma (who can be incredibly powerful depending on what quirks he copies. In case anyone’s confused, he can’t use more than one quirk at a time but he can copy more than one at a time which still gives him incredible potential)

Awase (Who managed to restrain Bakugou before he could even react)

Kendou (who aside from her intelligence, has the strength to crush tungsten and casually walk around with a cannon tied to her)

Tetsutetsu (No explanation necessary)

Kodai (her quirk seems better at long distance offense than her class 1A counterpart, Ochako)

Reiko(even considering her weight limit, telekinesis is still an incredibly powerful ability that would make her a difficult opponent for many characters)

Pony(great restraining quirk that she also used for nice mobility)

Setsuna (meh)

Although characters like Ochako, Momo, Kirishima, Kaminari, Shoji, Jirou, Tsuyu, and Mina are strong in their own right, I would argue that their average strength is less than that of the class B characters listed above

2. Exam Performance:
This is the most objective evidence that class B is superior to class A. In both the end of term exams and the license exams, class B had more successful students.

3. Bridging the gap/rate of improvement:
Because of the USJ incident, class A obtained vastly more experience than 1b which was evident by the far superior performance of Class A in the sports festival. Their performance in exams and in this arc have suggested that class B has improved at a rate fast enough to close this initial gap. In fact, there have been many moments in this arc where class B demonstrated superior (round 2) or equal judgment (round 3) to class 1A. In the first match, Class 1A was getting overwhelmed and would have likely lost if they didn’t have Shinsou to disrupt the communication of class B and control Ibara. In the final match, Mineta, Ochako, and Mina were getting overwhelmed by a class B trio and Monoma’s plan was seemingly going smoothly before being interrupted by Deku’s loss of control

4. Style:

This is probably the most subjective point, but the class B heroes have higher quality names than that of 1A. Although names like Red Riot, Ingenium, and Cellophane are pretty cool Class B has a greater quantity of cool or catchy names like Vantablack, Real Steel, Battle Fist, Gevaudan, Phantom Thief, Dragon Shroud, and we don’t even know all of them.

5. Less problematic

Class B doesn’t consistently break the rules as often as Class 1A. Although Monoma is a bit of an asshole, he or anyone else in class B did nothing deserving of expulsion, unlike Bakugou who risked injuring himself, hurting Deku, and damaging the nearby area, just to engage in an unsanctioned fight. This isn’t really a debatable point since Aizawa himself admits that there were times where he felt like either some or all of 1A would be deserving of expulsion.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
To me there are two issues with this in general:

The first is that the author knowingly and maliciously nerfed class A so that they would collectively fight like jackasses. All of the experience they had allegedly acquired during the manga's first 200 chapters was nowhere to be seen in most of the stuff class A did so far. Their team work was awful and they were mostly incapable of coming up with strategies and as a result they were nowhere tactically. Only iida, midoriya and bakugo kinda have stood out in this regard. But of course iida's competence was cancelled out by todoroki fighting like a jackass and bakugo's sudden improvements are bullshit because he remains as toxic and deranged as ever but because nonsense plot shenanigans his teammates tolerate him and worst, "understand" him. And of course what happened with midoriya so far is straight up a travesty.

Momo also deserves a special mention. Her incompetence cannot be understated. She has an insanely useful quirk but yet is mostly incapable of fighting. Kendo, someone with an unremarkable quirk, cornered her in an instant and all momo could manage was a half assed last ditch desperate "plan" that wasn't even that good. Momo is slow, indecisive, weak, and mostly a drag to her team. Momo has no business in the hero department. She should be sent to whichever unnamed thing shinsoo is currently trying to get out of.

And then the second thing that played a huge part here: Class B was actually good at team work. Class B does not have many people that can go toe to toe with class a top fighters (bakugo, todoroki, midoriya, tokoyami and a special mention to kirishima and iida) but they are mostly capable of working together competently. However this is less releavant than the nerf I mentioned before because in other arcs class A has been perfectly capable of working together if the situation required it. And now they weren't capable of this even at a basic level.

Invel > Zeref

Reaction score
Country
United States
The first is that the author knowingly and maliciously nerfed class A so that they would collectively fight like jackasses. All of the experience they had allegedly acquired during the manga's first 200 chapters was nowhere to be seen in most of the stuff class A did so far. Their team work was awful and they were mostly incapable of coming up with strategies and as a result they were nowhere tactically.
I believe that the superior experience class of A is very overrated. The only characters in class A who have experience fighting villains other than nameless fodder are Deku, Iida, Todoroki, Kirishima, nighttime Tokoyami and arguable Tsuyu, Ochako, and Bakugou briefly. It takes far more experience other than a couple of fights and training exercises to be able to perform at consistently high levels of teamwork and strategic thinking no matter what unexpected strategies that they face. Just because someone has worked a job longer thus having more experience doesn't mean you can't become a better worker than them. Class A had plenty of sound strategies and decent teamwork but Class B's impressiveness caused A to look less impressive than they actually were.
Momo also deserves a special mention. Her incompetence cannot be understated. She has an insanely useful quirk but yet is mostly incapable of fighting. Kendo, someone with an unremarkable quirk, cornered her in an instant and all momo could manage was a half assed last ditch desperate "plan" that wasn't even that good. Momo is slow, indecisive, weak, and mostly a drag to her team. Momo has no business in the hero department. She should be sent to whichever unnamed thing shinsoo is currently trying to get out of.
She is still only a first year, so your expectations for her are way too high. She already has a great quirk and is one of the most intelligent in the class. She just needs to work on her quick thinking and decisiveness but she still has 2.33 more years to work on that. No student who passed every single exam should be demoted to a lesser department just because she couldn't fix a lingering flaw in only 6 months. Any hero program worth their salt would continue to try and help promising students overcome their weaknesses.
Class B was actually good at team work. Class B does not have many people that can go toe to toe with class a top fighters (bakugo, todoroki, midoriya, tokoyami and a special mention to kirishima and iida) but they are mostly capable of working together competently. However this is less releavant than the nerf I mentioned before because in other arcs class A has been perfectly capable of working together if the situation required it. And now they weren't capable of this even at a basic level.
So we both agree that Class B has been relatively more impressive than Class A. However, it seems like you think Class A was nerfed in terms of strategy and teamwork and you believe that the Class A in this arc wasn't representative of how they usually are. However, I argue that Class A's performance is no different than earlier arcs. The difference lies in the fact that they are facing fighters more competent than they are used to. Although their growth has been off screen, class B has had a lot of the same exams, experiences, and training as Class A. I already mentioned that the experience disparity isn't as insurmountable as you believe and how Class B's ability to overcome this disparity makes them even more impressive. Let's see if Class A was nerfed in strategy or teamwork in any of the matches:
Match 1: Class A was initially overwhelmed because of Shishida's and Ibara's strength. However, Class A used strategy, teamwork, and Shinsou's quirk to win the match. I don't see how anyone was nerfed.
Match 2: Momo has never demonstrated great quick thinking ability in the midst of combat so her losing to Kendou isn't a nerf. Kendou beating Momo by roping her into an unexpected 1 on 1 and not giving her any time to think is perfectly consistent with Momo's previously established flaws.
Match 3: Both Juzo and Iida have regrets on how they handled things strategically. However, I don't really see any way that Class A was nerfed. The worse strategic decision that was made was Todoroki allowing himself to get into a one on one with someone who counters him rather than running away to help his teammates but it isn't really inconsistent because Todoroki doesn't really have experience running away from opponents that could get up close to him and counter him in the same way Tetsutetsu did.

Lost in you

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
South Korea
I think this is false.

Class A has a valuable experience in fighting against REAL villains, which leaves class B with a big disadvantage in anyway that we look at it.
If we consider Shinsou's presence in the first clash, claiming that he was an hidden "draw", which I think was false since they all knew in some way that he had this quirk. In the end he had an hidden power up like most of the students.

Mythoclast

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
When it comes to combat,class A is ahead and it's not even close.

Sure Ojiro and Sato are bonafide scrubs,but their physical prowess would allow them to body some students from class B.