Miscellaneous - [Tutorial] Convert manga pages to outline sketches (lineart ??) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Miscellaneous [Tutorial] Convert manga pages to outline sketches (lineart ??)

znromonk

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I was looking at ways to create outlines for characters on a page I was working on. I would not call it lineart since these outlines need to be worked on to get good linearts and that is beyond my talents. :p

After looking at a few methods online, I combined a few and got decent result with one combination. So, here it goes.

Open the page in Photoshop and duplicate the layer:

Then go to Filters > Other > High Pass
and select a low value to make sure the only things standing out are the lines and not much else.

Now go to Filters > Sketch > Photocopy
and use a high detail and low darkness to avoid anything but lines to be visible.

All you need to do is press Ctrl + I or go to Image > Adjustment > Invert.

Voila ! You have made the whole page into outline sketch.

As you see, the image still has some texture left. If you want to avoid it completely, then use the Topaz Clean filter to destroy the texture (note that you might loose some fine details this way too) before you apply the high pass and photocopy filters and after you make the duplicate of the original.

Then proceed to apply the high pass and photocopy filter. Your final result should now look like this.

Fine tune the settings based on your needs.

Hope this was of some help to someone.

-Learning in progress.

Name-Undecided

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your trouble.
I liked the inverted colours version best, though. The final black-and-white is a little too blurry, it needs cleaner, sharper lines and a bit of redrawing.

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, it'd help if Topaz wasn't used to blur the image. People really should stop saying that it's okay to use.

Ssspe

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
This sure help alot.
Thank you.