Typeset Buddy Photoshop extension | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Typeset Buddy Photoshop extension

Ikkyusan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
https://gwr.fyi/typeset_buddy/

A typesetting extension I created for Adobe Photoshop CC to help me typeset my translations.
The extension will work on PS version 2015.5+. The standalone scripts should work on PS CS5+.

What it can do :
- hopefully help you during your typesetting sessions.
- allow you to manage style sets. You can create presets for your projects and export/import them as json files.
- analyze a translation script and prepare all the styles used within it (provided you followed the translation script rules).
- display a translation script, page by page, in a comprehensive way (provided you followed the translation script rules).
- typeset text in one click, with the style you defined. No more copy/pasta.
- typeset text in a selection marquee.
- apply a style to selected text layers.
- increase/decrease font size and autoresize selected layers (via button click or standalone script execution).
- perform customizable text replacement.
- automatically typeset psd files (via a standalone script).

What it can't do :
- automate the whole typesetting process.
- make you more attractive than you already are.

You'll find the translation rules and a demo video here : https://gwr.fyi/typeset_buddy
Github is here : https://github.com/ikkyusan1/typeset-buddy

Comments, ideas and bug reports are welcome.

Last edited:

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Does it also let you easily adjust font size by clicking [+] and [-], like in typesetterer?

Ikkyusan

Reaction score
Country
France
Yet another tool I had never heard about... thanks, mate!
I like the idea of normalizing quotes and replacing some text (like "!?" to "?!"). I'm gonna add it to my todolist.

And to answer your question : no, the extension doesn't have such a functionality. Yet.
Two buttons to increase/decrease the font size on the selected text layers, yes ? Consider it done.
One thing I can't do though is to have hotkeys for the buttons. It's not possible to have any hotkeys in html extensions such as this one.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Done !

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
It's a shame about no hotkey - I used to run typesetterer for these hotkeys even when I wasn't typesetting... Well, basically only when I was QCing, but still - it made changing sizes and realigning text much easier.
Having to click the buttons kinda defeats the purpose, IMO...
Hmm... Could you at least place the buttons on top of each other to the left of the [ + ] and Name? ATM, it's too far out of the way to me useful, IMO.

In any case, I'm not an active Manga Editor anymore and I'm not going to be using this extension anytime in the near future. I guess my interest is strictly theoretical.

Ikkyusan

Reaction score
Country
France
It's a shame about no hotkey
I know, right ? Well, to be perfectly honest, there is a way to hijack keypress at the extension level, but as soon as the focus leaves the extension, the keypress are not intercepted anymore. And these keypress must be hardcoded in the extension, so there's no way to customize the shortcuts, and it can be very problematic : imagine I override a shortcut already used for something else. Not cool.

So, in order to circumvent this lack of flexibility, I've added three scripts that can be called via a Photoshop Action. And since you can associate shortcuts to actions, you can use to the "change font size" functionalities with whatever keystroke you want.

And in the end, since this way of getting hotkeys is so convenient, I'm going to add scripts for some other style parameters, like hyphenation, fauxbold and fauxitalic.

Hmm... Could you at least place the buttons on top of each other to the left of the [ + ] and Name? ATM, it's too far out of the way to me useful, IMO.
Keep in mind that it's a panel, it can be placed anywhere. In the end there's no perfect place for these buttons. And since we can now use actions, the buttons are just another mean to use the functions.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
The extension and tb_robot script can now replace text.