Seinen - Ultra Heaven by KOIKE Keiichi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Ultra Heaven by KOIKE Keiichi

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Ultra Heaven
By: KOIKE Keiichi
Genre: Cyber Punk, Surreal
Serialized In: Comic Beam
Mangaupdates

The story is set in a dystopian alternative universe where any kind of substances able to alter the state of mind is legalized and available to be consumed at home or in designated places called Pomp Bar.
These products, once considered very dangerous, are now advertised on TV and the bartender choose those ones more suited to their customers or serve them his special cocktails. ~MU

Last edited:

Revilenigma

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: [Featured] Ultra Heaven by KOIKE Keiichi

Best new manga of the year so far.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Yeah, can't really argue. Volume 1 was so mind blowing it took me a few days to sort out what I thought. Very Burroughesque; the blurring of hallucination and reality, fragmentation of the mind. Outstanding art, I love how the panel lay out enhances and emphasizes the hallucinations. The dude who gave Kabu Ultra Heaven is one of the craziest looking characters I've ever seen. At some point I'll make an avy.

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

Just finished reading all the chapters out, and like you Kait, I'm not sure what I think after just reading it. I'm just like ":o" right now. The dude giving him the drugs is just so strange I may have nightmares about him. This manga is fun because even I can't tell what is really happening to him and what he's just hallucinating.

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

Read the first volume today and I must agree with the consensus so far. I loved it. It's totally trippy with amazing visuals. Kaiten already mentioned how the layout of the panels enhanced the feeling of the hallucinations and I couldn't agree more. It made me a little @_@ at times, but in a very good way. :amuse

It also appealed to the nerdy chemistry/drug-loving side of me with pages like this where they're mixing these "cocktails" with things like Prozac (fluoxetine HCl = Prozac). :XD :sweat

Last edited:

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

That first volume was just out there. Very cool.

Qc_stryder

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

if you combine weird 50s scifi with computers, take it out of the mixer, give it to an extreme ballet dancer and make him dance in a gravity free dirty alley with guys in tuxedos that watch from their cardboard box house window and have the smartest fishman draw what he sees thru his aquarium on his head an you get something like this manga. probobly. neyyyever actually tried this before. awesome.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Volume 3 is out! Stop reading this post if you haven't read the volume yet. Come back when you have.

Volume 3 started out strangely linear and happy. The meditation center seemed like a place of peace and reflection. About half way through everything turns back to the Burroughs meets Escher hell of volume 2, as consciousness shifts from peace and reflection to chaos. Ultra Heaven is now firmly entrenched as one of my favorite manga ever.

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Started the manga, have to say really impressed about the atmosphere in the bar, really interesting to have a short ride with this one. It seems art skills are tested in these effects the drug has, so that was a cool aspect to see, since most modern art also relies on drugs to be formed, starting from surrealism it was out in the open, so this manga is a nice homage to it.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Forgot to mention nice commentary on the pharmaceutical industry as well, although the scans seem to stop for some reason at volume 3?

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well MangaUpdates says 3 volumes scanned and that the series is still ongoing, tho if it was really this irregular it probably was not a bother to update it at all. So all in all it would appear that a few volumes might still be left but there is no real info on how many, or?

Houjou

Reaction score
Country
Mongolia
Any updates on this?

The only thing I could find was this Instagram post from 35 weeks ago that says the 4th volume had not been published yet.

Last edited: